Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I suppose it was inevitable given who Elmdor looks like. Still, do not want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What's 'Not Mind Safe' about it? They look as they should, Elmdor's doing the thing that he does in a proper manner(Blood Suck status turns the target bright pink and requires absolute melee range at Range 1 vertical 0-the biggest threat to a Vampire, 'human' or monster, is stairs). The only oddity is the Assassins are too lovey-dovey.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 23, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Bloodly posted:

What's 'Not Mind Safe' about it? They look as they should, he's doing the thing that he does in a proper manner(Blood Suck status turns the target bright pink). The only oddity is the Assassins are too lovey-dovey.

It gives away a character we've yet to recruit.:ssh:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Regalingualius posted:

It gives away a character we've yet to recruit.:ssh:

That's why it's a spoiler. It's NMS because it's soft yaoi or something.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Corvinus posted:

It's also possible within the existing engine to make a real Blue Mage job. The next version of WotL 1.3 will have a Beastmaster/Blue Mage special.

This is way old, but a couple of years back I was hanging around the FFT modding scene, I wanted to turn Samurai into a pseudo-Blue Mage with a Indiana Jones-esque sprite as an Adventurer Job because of a quirk with Draw Out, if it didn't point to a katana, the break chance was 100% or something along those lines.

So you could use that to get a bunch of special items that cast spells, or monster skills, when used. Possibly with innate poach as some of the items would have to be poach-only.

Wound up losing my work when my computer went kaput, but eh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

George posted:

That's why it's a spoiler. It's NMS because it's soft yaoi or something.
Except it's pretty clearly a joke. Just look at the way everything is framed.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

Except it's pretty clearly a joke. Just look at the way everything is framed.

My favorite part is the Priest blushing about it.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
It looks like 1.3.0.7 is out. I like the balance changes, especially improvements to Squire, Wizards and especially Marksmen better since I always thought those classes were lacking. It seems like it included some new ASM hacks features, like a Reaction ability that gives you Protect+Shell or Equip Bow giving your both Bows and Crossbows.

I wonder if our LPer is going to update to this version...? Or just continue with the rest of the game, since we're pretty close to the end.

Unfortunately, the Content version isn't out yet for all those of us who don't want Elixir spam battles.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 42: Inside Limberry Castle
Part 2: The Elmdor Heist

Last time, Elmdor got trounced in one round through the clever application of some Reaction skills. Overall, not a difficult fight to win, since it's only necessary to bring the Marquis into Critical.

But to leave it at that would mean passing up a full set of unique equipment, and just in case your completionist instincts aren't enough to make stealing the Genji gear mandatory, 1.3 sweetens the pot by significantly improving the power of Elmdor's loot.

The Genji Shield, Genji Helmet, and Genji Armor each offer +1 PA and +1 MA on top of their respective Evasion/HP boosts, while the Genji Gauntlet grants +2 PA and +2 MA, making it the only accessory that boosts PA by more than a single point. Heavy Armor users don't have a lot of options for stat boosts, so even though the Genji set isn't strictly the best gear around, it's still drat valuable.

Suffice it to say: we're going back.

Now, stealing all of Elmdor's stuff requires some very particular prep work, a good understanding of the Tactics AI, some rare equipment, and a bit of luck to top it all off. It took me well over a dozen attempts, but in the end everything finally came together, so let's get to it!

The first order of business is to take out the Assassins. Stealing from Elmdor is a tedious but also dangerous process, so clearing the board of everyone but the Marquis and the player's units is a must.

It's also important to rush a low-health, heavy-hitting unit with a Barrette right up into Elmdor's stupid face, and we'll see why in a moment.

Elmdor and his Assassins are lightning fast, so the only practical way to get the first move, and to keep up with them afterwards, is Initial: Haste. This requires either the Excalibur or the Setiemson perfume. (At level 50, 10 Speed + Haste is needed to outpace the Marquis and his ladies.)

Now, here's where the all-important AI exploitation begins. The Tactics AI loves getting K.O.'s and prioritizes them over dealing non-lethal damage, even if that damage would, in the end, be much more dangerous.

Fluellen is wearing a Barrette and a Light Robe, intentionally lowering her HP to the point where any of the three enemies could drop her in a single Attack action. However, she also has bad compatibility with Elmdor and is using Magic Defend UP, so Draw Out won't be able to one-shot her.

Remember that the AI can't "see" Reaction abilities. It looks at Fluellen, decides that it could K.O. her with melee attacks but not any other way, and walks right into Hamedo three times. Fluellen negates an entire round's worth of actions, while taking both Assassins to about half HP, and does so just by standing there.

Now that all the enemies have acted, it's time to move in and finish off the Assassins. Unfortunately, Agrias isn't rocking the Holy Sword skills, but she can still swing with Excalibur okay.

Oh yes, and for this battle, Prufrock has brought along a special new friend: Eratoss the Red Chocobo. Eratoss has a very particular purpose here that we'll be seeing later. For now, he's content to drop some Choco Meteors for ~90 damage. Every little bit counts!

Fluellen is the team's dedicated heavy hitter in addition to being a Hamedo tank. On top of Alicia's opening Draw Out, this Attack is enough to score the first K.O.

However, this is a very special battle. In this fight, when an Assassin gets K.O.'d, they teleport out...

...only to be replaced by an Ultima Demon!

While the Ultima Demons lack the deadly status afflictions of the Use Hand skillset, their Night Magic is not to be underestimated, as 1.3 buffed Demons a great deal.

Another important element to keeping Elmdor occupied is distance. If his Draw Outs can only tag a single unit at a time, the Marquis is much more likely to stick with melee Attacks that can be negated with Hamedo.

Of course, staying spread out makes traditional buffs and healing difficult to apply, which is why Prufrock is rolling with Sing.

As far as buffing goes, however, Nameless Song has its ups and downs...

Eratoss continues to drop Choco Meteors before beating a hasty retreat back into the corner. Getting a unit without a hairpiece too close to an Assassin will usually end in instant Petrification.

Fortunately, it's easy enough to "convince" the AI to keep swinging into Hamedo.

And that's enough damage to force the other Assassin to transform. We're not out of the woods yet, though. Two Ultima Demons can still lay down a lot of AoE damage, even with Magic Defend UP.

There is one major advantage to fighting Ultima Demons instead of Assassins: the former are vulnerable to status effects.

Steal Heart is still so good.

Also, no more Innate: Defense UP means Fluellen lays the beatdown for full damage.

Unfortunately, this is about the point where Initial: Haste wears off. Speed Ruin can help the team keep up with the Ultima Demons, but Elmdor's 14 Speed is going to be hard to manage.

Good thing Fluellen can hold his attention, then.

The Charmed Ultima Demon has already started casting a big nasty spell at her Slowed counterpart, so Eratoss is free to bonk her on the head with a Meteor. Preemptively breaking Charm is important because Elmdor's AI might decide to break it with Draw Out, hitting one or more of our units in the process. Remember that Fluellen can only keep Elmdor distracted if he can't kill anybody otherwise.

Nameless Song might be kinda crappy, but Last Song still owns.

Throwing Quick all around is just as strong as ever, and will let the team take down the Ultima Demons a round earlier.

It's easy to forget just how hard Fluellen can hit when she's constantly attacking boss enemies, so I like to take the time to appreciate those big numbers when they do come up.

Now to just soften the other Demon up a little bit more...

Viola!

With both Assassins / Ultima Demons down, we can finally get around to the real goal here.

Unfortnately, that does mean that this is the last turn that Fluellen will be able to tank Elmdor all by her lonesome, because...

...it's finally time for Eratoss to do his thing.

Choco Jinx is the Chocobo Monster Skill. It's a Magic attack that lowers the target's Brave score by 50 points a pop. It's also one of only two ways in which the player can manipulate an opponent's Brave (the other being the Marksman skill Mocking Strike).

Elmdor is rocking Blade Grasp as his Reaction skill, which grants him the chance to stop incoming physical abilities equal to his Brave score. This includes not only physical attacks, but also Steal, the Knight's Battle Skills, and Mocking Strike. It should be pretty obvious why Choco Jinx is necessary, since it's the only way to negate Blade Grasp that is also itself unaffected by Blade Grasp.

With a little help from Last Song, Eratoss is able to get the second Choco Jink off post-haste, reducing Elmdor's Brave to 00 and opening him up for Agrias to Ruin his attack stats and Alicia to Steal all his poo poo.

It does have one other unfortunate side effect, though: Elmdor will no longer use melee Attacks. Since Katanas factor the wielder's Brave score into their damage formula, the AI will now stop trying to one-shot Fluellen and get to doing something truly dangerous: Draw Outs.

There's really no way to defend against Draw Out besides Damage Split (and we obviously can't use that here) so the best thing to do is drop Mind Ruin after Mind Ruin. Stealing the Genji equipment can take a very long time even with Blade Grasp out of the picture, so cutting down on the damage that Elmdor can deal is essential to the team's long-term survival.

As expected, the Marquis falls back on Chirijiraden. At this point, he should never be able to catch more than two units at a time, but it's still a lot of damage to have to weather.

Always go for the Shield first, as it will make subsequent Steal attempts much easier. It's nice that Stealing his equipment reduces Elmdor's attack stats as well.

Now it's time for Sing to turn to healing duty. Life Song isn't great healing, but it'll usually fire twice between each of Elmdor's turns, and it hits the whole battlefield, no matter where everyone is standing.

For the first few rounds, though, it'll be necessary to do some spot healing to back up Life Song. Elmdor is drat fast, so keeping everyone's HP topped off is important, as getting stuck in a revival loop can quickly send things spiraling downhill, even now.

We'll go ahead and skip over the multiple failed Steal attempts. It took about an hour from this point on, so just go ahead and imagine a few dozen misses in between Draw Outs and healing.

Eventually, though, Agrias manages to break Elmdor's MA down to a more manageable level.

This damage is much easier to deal with than the 250+ Chirijiradens he can throw out at the start of the fight.

More importantly, a few Mind Ruins get his damage low enough that Life Song can keep up.

All that's left now is a lot of running around and missing with Steal until Alicia finally nabs all that sweet gear.

While both of the Assassins / Demons can crystallize or leave chests, they drop loot as the Ultima Demons rather than the Assassins (so no chance at the Koga or Iga Knives).

I know I've talked a lot about playing around the AI before, but this is probably the point at which it is the most necessary. Dealing with a Chirijiraden + two Assassin onslaught from Turn 1 is almost impossible; the damage is simply too much to out-heal, and Haste really only lets you keep pace with the enemies' ridiculous Speed.

In addition to managing the AI, though, positioning is also crazy important. Draw Out is such a huge threat that you need to keep Elmdor from catching three units at once, and of course you can't let any status-vulnerable units wander too near the Assassins.

Once the Assassins turn into Ultima Demons, a whole new skillset full of powerful AoE magic enters play. Slow + Charm + Quick allowed me to drop the Demons before they could do anything dangerous, but if left unanswered they can be almost as big a threat as the Marquis.

All that work (and all those attempts) pays off in the end though, as Alicia eventually nabs the last piece of gear.

And here's Elmdor, gear Stolen and Mind Ruined.

With that done, we can finally end this battle, the right way this time.

Eratoss, show 'im to the door.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

:golfclap: This map seems a like giant joke to play on people, but you made it look semi easy.

egobomb
Mar 3, 2013
Wow, the Ultima Demons teleporting in is just like an extra kick in the nuts.

I just assumed you were going to be skipping the genji gear. Very impressed with how you managed to bend Elmdor over your knee. Nice job :downs:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wow. The level of system knowledge required to do that seems like such a huge step up from anything else in the mod, even those earlier puzzle-esque maps.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Nicely done. I assume most of your tries failed from Hamedo failing to activate? Because the flip side of the AI attacking your Hamedo unit when they can kill it in one hit is... they can kill it in one hit. You've got crazy luck to have it activate so many times in a row without failure.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Nicely done. I assume most of your tries failed from Hamedo failing to activate? Because the flip side of the AI attacking your Hamedo unit when they can kill it in one hit is... they can kill it in one hit. You've got crazy luck to have it activate so many times in a row without failure.

Not really luck so much as persistence. I probably spent 8-10 hours banging my head against the wall that was this battle.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I used a regular chocobo named Elmdor Sucks for this. Should've used a Red though, Choco Ball and Choco Cure are basically worthless on this fight.

Another, somewhat riskier method for dealing with Celia and Lede is to put their human forms into critical health and then ignore them as long as is feasible. I've also seen an unorthodox method of clustering to force them to use Throw on a unit with Catch (not recommended due to a game-breaking bug/error/oversight though). There's a number of interesting ways to do this one, but it all revolves around managing Elmdor so he doesn't Draw Out nuke your party to death.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Doing this without a Chocobo isn't too different, just bring 2 characters with Precision so it doesn't take a year to knock Elmdor's brave down. Also potentially gives you the dps to kill the Assassins before they get a second turn.

I do it by face tanking Elmdor's Draw Outs with sufficient HP or magic defense and giving everyone Speed Save. Who knew that stealing Elmdor's poo poo is fairly painless when you're getting double/triple turns in to his one.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

I used a regular chocobo named Elmdor Sucks for this. Should've used a Red though, Choco Ball and Choco Cure are basically worthless on this fight.

Another, somewhat riskier method for dealing with Celia and Lede is to put their human forms into critical health and then ignore them as long as is feasible. I've also seen an unorthodox method of clustering to force them to use Throw on a unit with Catch (not recommended due to a game-breaking bug/error/oversight though). There's a number of interesting ways to do this one, but it all revolves around managing Elmdor so he doesn't Draw Out nuke your party to death.

Which bug is this?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

egobomb posted:

Wow, the Ultima Demons teleporting in is just like an extra kick in the nuts.

I just assumed you were going to be skipping the genji gear. Very impressed with how you managed to bend Elmdor over your knee. Nice job :downs:

I'm pretty sure the Ultima Demon thing is in vanilla.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Prism posted:

Which bug is this?

Maybe the bug where the AI is hardcoded to have a chance to throw any weapon, even ones that aren't in their Throw skillset?

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 11, 2013

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
At the start there I was worried that the Hamedos might actually do too much damage to Elmdor, does he have some way to heal up?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Fearless_Decoy posted:

At the start there I was worried that the Hamedos might actually do too much damage to Elmdor, does he have some way to heal up?

Blood Suck drains HP, I think.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Corvinus posted:

Maybe the bug where the AI is hardcoded to have a chance to throw any weapon, even ones that aren't in their Throw skillset?
I believe it's more along the lines of catching bugged/glitched weapons that can mess up your game if I recall correctly.

Also, Prufrock, you sure made stealing the Genji equipment look effortless. I am impressed. O_o

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Sketchie posted:

I believe it's more along the lines of catching bugged/glitched weapons that can mess up your game if I recall correctly.

Also, Prufrock, you sure made stealing the Genji equipment look effortless. I am impressed. O_o

Obviously you missed the parts where he said it took him like 11 attempts to get everything to fall right, and that it took many, many Steal attempts that he edited out to get everything. Prufrock puts down an impressive amount of work and dedication for this LP, I must say.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
In unrelated news, I only recently found out that Dual Wielding barehands with a shield in the left still gives two melee hits (just the OK is capable of it without being gimp), and that 1.3's Summon Gun is boosted by 108 Gems even though the summons it fires are non-elemental (hardcoded to be elemental in the damage formula).

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.
Awesome job, and awesome-er show of how powerful Choco Jinx can be.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Archael posted:

Awesome job, and awesome-er show of how powerful Choco Jinx can be.

At least you can still inflict Chicken status. It not exactly required for stealing the genji gear in vanilla. But it helps significantly.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 43: Gemini

Last time we took off all the Marquis' clothes, sending the now-naked nobleman scurrying off to the undercroft of Limberry Castle.

Among the Lucavi conspirators, Marquis Elmdor seems to be second only to Vormav. Taking him down will be a major blow to the demons' plot.

Oh, and also he stole our sister.

[insert Mario joke here]

Looking back at the game so far, our hero has spent most of his time getting yanked around by the bad guys. By now he should at least start to suspect that maaaaaybe the evil helldemons from another dimension don't always tell the truth.

Like Velius, the Marquis summons up some help. First, a pair of Undead Death Knights...

...followed by a trio of Skeletons.

The Death Knights are new to 1.3 and add a good bit more to worry about during the battle. They each carry a Defender and can hit pretty hard with Death Strikes and Unholy Explosions.

Having to tackle five enemies plus a Lucavi would normally be pretty tough, except that all five of the underlings are undead, and we've got a certain someone on the team that just mops up undead enemies left and right.

With the pre-game trash talk out of the way, Elmdor raises the Gemini stone, transforming into...

...Zalera, the Angel of Death.

And who should show up, with perfect JRPG timing? Meliadoul! She acts as a Guest unit in this fight, so I suppose the player's not technically outnumbered.

As can be expected, the win condition here is to defeat Zalera. In most assassination battles, blitzing the target straight away is a solid plan, but being a Lucavi, Zalera has far too many HP to burn down.

Zalera carries the Ja Magic skillset (which is the same as Planar Magic) featuring high-powered spells with big AoEs. While this sounds dangerous, it actually makes Zalera the easiest Lucavi to beat.

And this is why: Ja Magic is slow. Very slow. Even with Zalera's innate Short Charge, a Speedy team can easily play around the big nasty spells like Flare 2. And while he does have Fear as a secondary Action skill, Zalera's AI much prefers damage spells to status effects.

Oh Seal Evil, when will you ever not win undead fights?

Since Zalera's Flare 2 is targeting Mustadio, it's also important to get him away from the rest of the team.

I suppose "your dad used a magic rock to turn into a demon and then killed your brother" wasn't the most believable cover story

Meliadoul's still a little thick, but she seems to be getting the picture by now.

I'm not sure what the deal with the marks around "body" is, but it seems a little creepy to me.

Meliadoul won't be accomplishing much during the fight. The fact that she's stuck in with a bunch of monsters (who don't wear any equipment) kind of takes the teeth out of her Mighty Sword skillset.

Evasion is decently useful in this fight. The Death Knights and Skeletons can all be dodged with P-Ev, and even Zalera has a couple of attacks that can miss (not Flare 2 though).

Doesn't always work though.

Throwing out damage on the Skellies isn't the best option, since it's slower than Seal Evil and undead units can stand back up, but Mustadio can only be in so many places at once, and besides, with enough damage it's possible to get the skeletons to heal themselves with Demi 2 or Death instead of sticking with the offense.

Even though Meliadoul isn't going to win any damage races, she can still play an important role: distraction.

Flare 2's incantation.

It's certainly a big boom.

Barring compatibility issues, Zalera can one-shot all but the toughest units with Flare 2. It's a good thing, then, that it's so easy to play around. You can even use that big damage to your advantage.

Haste stacked on top of decent Speed makes it even easier to run circles around Zalera.

Because you can see Flare 2 coming from a mile off, White Magic's revivals are actually even more useful than Phoenix Down because you can pre-cast them on the Flare 2 target. Play the AT smart and the downed unit won't miss a turn.

Holy makes for solid offense, too. This is a good battle for White Magic overall.

Sealing the Death Knights should be a higher priority than the Skeletons. They can heal themselves while still dealing big damage with Night Sword and bring AoE damage with Unholy Explosion.

Also, the Skeletons are easy to keep occupied with just Meliadoul + another heavy unit.

Zalera will usually keep up the pressure with constant Flare 2s. By keeping spread out, though, it's not hard to ensure that he can only drop one unit each round. It means you'll need to have someone on constant revival duty, but keeping Zalera tied up with just one unit is a drat good deal.

The Skeletons don't hit that hard. They're more of a nuisance than a threat, but still worth taking out before you get around to dealing with Zalera.

Usually it's better to go with Full Life, but it's more important to make sure nobody on the team misses a turn. Always check CT bars before picking your spells.

The payoff is an extra turn's worth of actions that you might otherwise have missed. Since Mustadio is the unit in question, that means an extra Seal Evil and one less Skeleton to deal with.

1.3 added Crush Punch to Meliadoul's skillset, giving her something to use against monsters. It's not great against undead, but it's stronger than a basic Attack and has a bit of range too.

Another advantage White Magic has here: Reraise works as decent insurance, just in case the AT lines up wrong.

If he can target a unit with lowered health, Zalera will switch up to Gravi 2 for the slightly faster cast time.

It's not so quick that you don't still have plenty of time to see it coming, though.

The biggest danger in sandbagging is losing turns. Every action a K.O.'d unit misses out on is a little more momentum in favor of the other team. Timing the Raises right is vital; the fact that Zalera's attacks are so well telegraphed makes it easy.

With the undead minions under control, it's time to start dealing with Zalera. The first step is to take the punch out of his main offense. As with all Lucavi, breaking Zalera's MA is the ticket.

Zalera's Reaction ability, Faith Up, raises his Faith score by 3 points every time it fires (and it can fire off of just about everything). That, in turn, raises the power of his Ja Magic. Fortunately, 3 MA counts for more than 3 Faith, so Mind Break is still a net gain.

However, it's a good idea to hold off attacking Zalera all out until you can get his stats lowered. It's probably not worth bringing a Marksman to lower Zalera's Brave, especially since his Faith still tops out at 100.

Meliadoul has done a pretty solid job keeping two of the Skeletons occupied, which is all that was every required of her. Mostly, it's allowed the units with White Magic precast Life and Full Life in peace. This last Lightning Soul is enough damage to drop her, but she's earned a nap.

Keeping units near Zalera topped off encourages him to use Flare 2 instead of Gravi 2, which allows more time to react.

Flare 2's incantation.

Now that his MA has been lowered a little, let's see how hard Zalera can hit.

Not quite as scary as before, though it's still a hefty figure.

A few more Mind Breaks would take care of it...if Agrias would just connect.

To add insult to injury, Faith Up fires even on a miss.

Still, that's the last of the minions, so I can't really complain. It's now 5-vs.-1, and we've already seen how easy it is to dance around Zalera's nukes.

Of course, that doesn't mean I can't still make stupid mistakes.

That kind of mistiming earlier in the battle could have spelled G-A-M-E-O-V-E-R. Lesson of the day: don't get cocky, even when everything looks like it's under control.

Fortunately, everything is under control, so this is just a slight setback, requiring a round or so of healing instead of a restart.

Break break break those stats, wrecking his EM-AY

Over and over and over again, sandbag every day

This is why it's better to Petrify undead enemies rather than K.O. them: sometimes, they stand back up.

That's not helpful either, but at 4-1 Mustadio still has a drat good record.

Fortunately, the AI gives us some time by choosing to heal up first thing. Since Seal Evil doesn't care about the target's health, exactly nobody cares if the Skeleton has one hit point or all of 'em.

Flare 2's not quite the nuke it started out as, so it's time to bring out the live ammo. Here's Diamond Sword's incantation.

As a flyer, Zalera is weak to Wind attacks. Rafa brings the best Wind-elemental attack around. This isn't boosted, either.

5-1 for Mustadio.

Now, it still looks scary...

...but those Mind Breaks have taken out a lot of the bite to it. At this point, Zalera will move to Gravi 2 as his main offense, since its damage doesn't depend on MA.

There's not much point in breaking Zalera's MA any further, so Agrias goes beatdown instead.

The downside to using Seal Evil here is that Zalera can remove status afflictions. Of course, Mustadio can just Seal that Death Knight again, so trading 1-for-1 on turns still works out alright.

Going with a Feather Mantle over a Magic Ring means Rafa does less damage with Truth, but the Evasion is worth it.

Which is fortunate, since it looks like that Death Knight will be getting at least one more turn.

Speaking of...Fluellen eats a Death Strike.

This is why it's a good idea to get Zalera alone before attacking him. The little guys can soften your units up for a quick Gravi 2 that'll end things. It's a good thing those Mantles are coming through.

The kid's good, you gotta give him that.

Gotta keep the damage rolling. Shouldn't be too long before this one is under wraps.

Still, every now and again, Zalera will surprise you.

He doesn't usually go for status effects over damage. This is hardly a big deal right now, though.

All Rafa did was step forward and whack Fluellen with her Wizard Rod, and hey, that sets them right next to each other for a handy Esuna.

And the damage train keeps on rolling.

And here's what happens if you get cheeky and mistime some AoE healing spells.

Whoops! Remember, clearing Undead is top priority, as a K.O.'d undead can't be revived.

Magic Evasion will occasionally come back to bite you.

That's better.

Letting Zalera faff about de-Petrifying his undead cronies one at a time is a good deal.

As soon as he get's them back up, the team can knock them right back down.

Just a little bit more...

...boom.

And that's it for Zalera, the Angel of Death.

The easiest Lucavi fight in the game was a nice break after all the difficulty stealing the Genji gear.

We can add another piece to our Zodiac Stone collection: Gemini.

For a fantasy world filled with wizards and monsters, a lot of people seem surprised to find out that some ancient crystals might also be magical.

I wonder whether manipulating Izlude and Meliadoul was Vormav or Hashmalum's idea.

It's unlikely that we've ever seen what the "real" Vormav was like before he sold his soul to a demon.

The first time he appeared, way back in Chapter 2, the plot to collect the Zodiac Stones was already underway.

In addition to the Gemini Stone we won by beating Zalera, Meliadoul also hands over the Sagittarius Stone.

Plus, new recruit! Always more room in the party. (Well, for now anyway.)

Oh yeah, there was that matter of Capricorn. Vormav did tell the late Marquis that he'd found a suitable body for another Lucavi. Now who do we know that was just given a Zodiac Stone...

Right. Guess we'd better get our collective asses over to Igros.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 24, 2013

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
It's a little odd how one of the most dangerous human enemies turns into one of the easiest Lucavi. Pre-1.3.0.8 he's also vulnerable to spell canceling and a dual wielder with Precision with the right amount of speed will neuter him good, so it would have made some sense to give him No-charge innate instead of Short Charge.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Talking about the translation at this point is just beating a dead horse, but I am curious as to why before the battle, his name is spelled zarela

but both the objective screen and even during his incantation's it's spelled zalera

but then at the end it's back to being zarela

It just makes me wonder as to just how the translation team worked, how they divvied up what was being translated by whom.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
really, they should have used all four - zalera, zarela, zalela, and zarera. Then nobody would know what the gently caress his name was.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zalerarelalelarera, of course.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zigludo!?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Endorph posted:

Zigludo!?

ZA WAR- *gets shot*

George
Nov 27, 2004

I can't wait to see how Meliadoul was made relevant. This game does a pretty good job with badass female knights, but she always felt like a sick joke after Orlandu.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

George posted:

I can't wait to see how Meliadoul was made relevant.

She really wasn't. She has a bit higher mp multiplier and 1 more move than Orlandu, but her skillset only gained Crush Punch. At least her PA isn't completely outclassed by him til he switches to knight.

George
Nov 27, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

She really wasn't. She has a bit higher mp multiplier and 1 more move than Orlandu, but her skillset only gained Crush Punch. At least her PA isn't completely outclassed by him til he switches to knight.

What a waste.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Meliadoul seems to have gotten some improvements in 1.3.0.7, although we won't be seeing them since this is 1.3.0.6

quote:

* Can now learn Crush Punch 2 - An AOE version of Crush Punch with higher damage and MP cost
* MP Multiplier increased
* Mighty Sword skills now hit Monsters and deal damage to humans without the targeted equipment slot

With that last change (inspired from the PSP I guess), I think I can actually kind of say she's better than the 2 male Swordskillers (Orlandu/Hitoshi) since you can throw Perfumes on her (Agrias is better, but I guess if you want a change of pace...).

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Garrand posted:

Talking about the translation at this point is just beating a dead horse, but I am curious as to why before the battle, his name is spelled zarela

but both the objective screen and even during his incantation's it's spelled zalera

but then at the end it's back to being zarela

It just makes me wonder as to just how the translation team worked, how they divvied up what was being translated by whom.

The Zarela spelling probably only shows up in one string that gets used every time the character speaks, so if you're doing text revision off an Excel document or something, it's not all that hard to miss. Good proofing would've helped, but this game clearly didn't have it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Davzz posted:

Meliadoul seems to have gotten some improvements in 1.3.0.7, although we won't be seeing them since this is 1.3.0.6

With that last change (inspired from the PSP I guess), I think I can actually kind of say she's better than the 2 male Swordskillers (Orlandu/Hitoshi) since you can throw Perfumes on her (Agrias is better, but I guess if you want a change of pace...).

I wonder why it took so long for Archael to implement that. That ASM hack that allows Mighty Sword to hit monsters and humans without equipment has been around for years and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Melly's stats aren't correct on the ID site, but she also has higher speed growth and multiplier than all the other swordskillers to the point of being only a little slower than thieves or ninjas. WotL 1.3 went a different way and made her a Lancer with a bunch of caster abilities.

• Locked thread