Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Man those look good! They're not really my subject, but the sculpting is top notch!

I bought a 'little' something yesterday, the 1/6th VW Schwimmwagen type 166 by Dragon.

plus I got a big bottle of Vallejo Dark Yellow primer. I love this stuff, it goes directly in the airbrush and gives a nice base colour to work on. Recommended!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just make sure this doesn't happen to it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pageerror404 posted:

So aside from Games Workshop, what are some other good sources for sci-fi/futuristic vehicles? I live in the US btw.

Polar Lights/Moebius are putting out some of the old spaceship and sci-fi stuff from the 70s.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lots of people doing stuff in resin, trying to avoid the attention of the copyright holders.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

pageerror404 posted:

So aside from Games Workshop, what are some other good sources for sci-fi/futuristic vehicles? I live in the US btw.

Fujimi has 3 "cars" from Blade Runner.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
With the exception of the wheels/tires and exhaust, the chassis is done. Now my favorite part: bodywork! :suicide:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

With the exception of the wheels/tires and exhaust, the chassis is done. Now my favorite part: bodywork! :suicide:

I found this tutorial too late to use on the Gremlin: http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/PerfectPaint/paint.htm

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nebakenezzer posted:

I found this tutorial too late to use on the Gremlin: http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/PerfectPaint/paint.htm

Alex Kustov lays down stupidly good paint on models.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Here are some shots from our model railroad club operation session from this afternoon:
http://imgur.com/a/Sw9JT

~10 scale miles of HO track, with a conversion to DCC underway.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 12, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Boomer The Cannon posted:

~10 scale miles of HO track, with a conversion to DCC underway.

Wow! Is that size of setup pretty common with model railroading clubs? I know there's plenty of home basements full of RR setups but I've always been curious how the clubs work - like how they get modular setups to 'flow' properly, etc.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Some clubs are larger than others, and I think our club is larger than most. I believe the plan is to get to around 20-22 scale miles of mainline track, as there's another 100-150' past the scenery available for expansion.

Our club has a permanent layout setup, but most modular groups have very, very stringent standards for electronics, benchwork and track to ensure that everything flows seamlessly during a meeting. I know that the Free-Mo standard (http://www.free-mo.org/) even has ballast and scenery standards to ensure everything looks like it flows together.

E: Here's an on-board camera from another group with their own stringent standards, and you can see how well it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UuG5V8a4pM

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 12, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow that's a HUGE club, shame about your scale though!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I like n-scale, but I LOVE the selection and ease of parts of ho-scale.

E: Here's an on-board lap around the layout from one of the other members a while ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cikLx51-ao8

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 13, 2013

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
For people who do model cars, I noticed lots of the videos on youtube use rattle-can auto spraypaint instead of an airbrush. Is there a good reason for that? Can the high gloss metallic effect of car paint be replicated with an airbrush?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It can (heck, see Pimp My Ride for examples....) but the obvious thing that springs to mind is that it means you're using the right colour straight out of the can I guess.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Could it be that buying a can would mean a perfect match to the real car color, instead of trying to mix your own?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

pageerror404 posted:

For people who do model cars, I noticed lots of the videos on youtube use rattle-can auto spraypaint instead of an airbrush. Is there a good reason for that? Can the high gloss metallic effect of car paint be replicated with an airbrush?

For me, I still use rattlecans because I don't want to/have no place to spray lacquers/auto paints inside my house. Plus airbrushes frequently frustrate me. It can indeed be replicated by following the same basic methods of mist coats followed by wet coats. If you're worried about color matching but still wanna airbrush, Zero Paints makes pretty spot on, ready to airbrush colors. Difficult to obtain in the states though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You can also decant rattle-cans and then use that paint in an airbrush. Just give it several hours (a day if you can) to degas, and it'll airbrush like any other paint.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You can also decant rattle-cans and then use that paint in an airbrush. Just give it several hours (a day if you can) to degas, and it'll airbrush like any other paint.

How is this done (safely)?

ninja edit: I imagine you hold the can upside-down and hold the button down until there's no more pressure, then drill a hole in the can somewhere?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

krushgroove posted:

How is this done (safely)?

ninja edit: I imagine you hold the can upside-down and hold the button down until there's no more pressure, then drill a hole in the can somewhere?

Most people just shove a straw onto the nozzle of the can, and then spray it into a cup. The straw condenses the paint stream and gives it just enough time to coalesce back into a liquid. You certainly can use the method you described, but it can be a little dangerous and sometimes very messy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Most people just shove a straw onto the nozzle of the can, and then spray it into a cup. The straw condenses the paint stream and gives it just enough time to coalesce back into a liquid. You certainly can use the method you described, but it can be a little dangerous and sometimes very messy.

Pretty much this. I've seen guys either drill out the nozzle to fit the straw or use some sticky-tack or putty to stick the straw to the nozzle. Most guys will go straight to an airbrush-ready paint jar for convenience sake. You just have to be sure to let it air out for a while to let all the propellant out of the paint.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
Also what is the reason for people using lacquer paints on model cars instead of acrylics?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think it's because they do shiny metallic colours so well, after all its the same paint as they use in real cars.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I think it's because they do shiny metallic colours so well, after all its the same paint as they use in real cars.

Well do they look bad if you use an airbrush with acrylic model paint? Also can I use Vallejo gloss varnish or do I need a can of proper lacquer clearcoat to make it look good?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Airbrushed gloss paint doesn't look bad at all, it's just easier to get actual spray paint and use it.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

pageerror404 posted:

Also what is the reason for people using lacquer paints on model cars instead of acrylics?

Lacquers dry very hard and polish well. Acrylics not so much.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I bought a captured German PzKpfw 35-H and it comes with...a French crew. Despite having only German decals included.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

French fascists?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Don't think I ever posted this here. I got tired of having no real organization of my paints, so I built this out of a 2'x4' sheet of pegboard and some 1x3s. Currently hanging in the closet next to my work area.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

I bought a captured German PzKpfw 35-H and it comes with...a French crew. Despite having only German decals included.
Missing sprue perhaps?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Don't think I ever posted this here. I got tired of having no real organization of my paints, so I built this out of a 2'x4' sheet of pegboard and some 1x3s. Currently hanging in the closet next to my work area.
Very nice setup. We bought a cheap bookshelf at Big Lots and I use that for my supplies.

Anyhow, someone did a thing on the NASCAR Modelling board:
http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=78976
This is something I want to do down the road.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Anyhow, someone did a thing on the NASCAR Modelling board:
http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=78976
This is something I want to do down the road.

That's extraordinary. Makes me wonder if there's any race from any era of F1 where the models exist to do the same. The alternative being a decade of attempting to mod the aerodynamic nuances of a dozen or more cars...

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Finished this one up yesterday. It's Fujimi's F12 Berlinetta. Great kit, but I had a few fitment issues here and there. Overall I'm very satisfied with how it came out though.

Got Fujimi's McLaren MP4/5 up next. No tobacco livery though :(

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
What is a good and economical acrylic paint thinner for use with an airbrush? I ordered a can of thinner off amazon but when it arrived I was disappointed to see that it is enamel thinner which I'm sure will not mix.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
A few issues, my rear end. Give it some plates and a good backdrop and it'll do great in impersonating a real one.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Pierzak posted:

A few issues, my rear end. Give it some plates and a good backdrop and it'll do great in impersonating a real one.

Thank you! I actually have some nice photoetched plates I might put on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

pageerror404 posted:

What is a good and economical acrylic paint thinner for use with an airbrush? I ordered a can of thinner off amazon but when it arrived I was disappointed to see that it is enamel thinner which I'm sure will not mix.

Water.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

How simple... I thought water hurt the paints ability to bond. I guess it's not a problem if you prime first.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

pageerror404 posted:

How simple... I thought water hurt the paints ability to bond. I guess it's not a problem if you prime first.

It will hurt the paint a little if you add too much, but you can say the same of just about any thinner. A little water and a touch of dishsoap to act as a flow agent are the cheapest ways to alter an acrylic. You can also use alcohol as well, but that you have to be careful with as it can destroy the paints bonding abilities if too much is used. The best thing to use is a dedicated acrylic thinner, which is basically the bonding agent of acrylic paint without the pigment, but then you starting to edge out of cheap territory. Golden makes a nice airbrush extender which is a nice thin acrylic medium which is great for thinning paints, but again, a little pricy.

Speaking of Golden, they're rebranding their airbrush paints as "High Flow Acrylics". All their promotion makes it sound like it's a brand new paint type/formulation, but sources have said it's the exact same paint as before, just with a new name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was having weird problems with my airbrush and had some paint that just wasn't flowing. I actually added a tiny bit of windex from my cleaning pot to the paint I was using and suddenly it was flowing like a dream. I don't know if this was a good idea but it worked for me.