Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Werthog 95 posted:

lol gently caress a grey forum. wake me when it's restyled, lowercase, and filled with insecure "irony"

current projects: learning blender so I can order some 3d printed poo poo. idk what yet. also I've got the urge to build a pinball table but considering that even just maintaining one is a sisyphean ordeal I think I'm just gonna ride this one out

shouldnt you be using a real cad if you want to actually make things rather than pixels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Rottbott posted:

ever played FOFT?

just looked this up, looks cool. I have zero motivation to do art, so I may try and slot in some other interpreters. something like scheme would probably make the game less obtuse

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody posted:

shouldnt you be using a real cad if you want to actually make things rather than pixels

idk anything about this poo poo all i know is blender works and is free. is there a free cad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sketchup maybe? idk use solidworks

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i put a rotary engine in a miata once and it was a really loud fire-spitting thing that was a constant money-pit and i didn't have anywhere to keep it and my parents were getting sick of it being in their garage so i sold it

when i get a real job i'm not gonna make the same mistake

i'll do a v8 next time :getin:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Werthog 95 posted:

also I've got the urge to build a pinball table but considering that even just maintaining one is a sisyphean ordeal I think I'm just gonna ride this one out
same, but if I still have that urge when I have a garage/basement I might have to do it

for now

not an original design, but it's making me pick up a little 3d modeling, find the patience for playtesting, and the programming is light enough that I'm actually looking forward to it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560727

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Captain Cool posted:

same, but if I still have that urge when I have a garage/basement I might have to do it

for now

not an original design, but it's making me pick up a little 3d modeling, find the patience for playtesting, and the programming is light enough that I'm actually looking forward to it

reminds me of this thing i stumbled on yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QKcTMcFGyU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564010

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did u just bump this thread for your own thread

holy poo poo dude

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

echinopsis posted:

did u just bump this thread for your own thread

holy poo poo dude

well it is my idiot spare time project that i spent the past week on, so it seemed appropriate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbf if you spent a week on anything at all you should tell everyone that you know

did u call ur dad and spell out the url for him to poorly type into his pc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i taught (tried to) my dad about more than 1 tab tonight. turns out you dont need to close your web browser to check your gmail

i may have opened the proverbial "can of worms" (a literal can of worms would be more pleasant)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
i skipped some (all) pages but i'm currently working on a software that lets people quickly set up on the lfy questions, records the data, and exports to major education platforms

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

echinopsis posted:

i taught (tried to) my dad about more than 1 tab tonight. turns out you dont need to close your web browser to check your gmail

i may have opened the proverbial "can of worms" (a literal can of worms would be more pleasant)

if he uses firefox then Pin As App Tab is great for gmail

edit: I think they renamed it to Pin Tab. right-click a tab to pin it so it can't be closed. when it turns blue you have new email

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

if he uses firefox then Pin As App Tab is great for gmail

edit: I think they renamed it to Pin Tab. right-click a tab to pin it so it can't be closed. when it turns blue you have new email

nice one 03 but he uses crhome (thanks to me!)

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

more like dICK posted:

just looked this up, looks cool. I have zero motivation to do art, so I may try and slot in some other interpreters. something like scheme would probably make the game less obtuse
it was cool when I was 8. my project is a space sim where players can program their ship in lua, although it's not supposed to be a major part of the game. not many games let you do that unless you count core war etc.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
cistps: spent three hours solving quadratic equations to calculate points in 3d space from mouse clicks

they were wrong :eng99:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
so there's a kickstarter for an inexpensive sous-vide immersion circulator ($199, compared to $999 for ones currently on the market). i was initially gonna buy it, but then i saw that the guy doing the kickstarter already posted plans for a homemade one that costs $75. :getin:

basically, you have a resistance thermometer which plugs into a pid controller. the pid controller outputs to a solid state relay, which cycles a set of immersion heaters. you circulate the water using an immersible pump, so the temperature is even across the tank.

here's a barebones version (with only 1 coil):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxRM6Pk7A4

gonna make a few chages tho:

the original plans call for a set of 3 110v 300w immersion heaters, but i'm thinking of using a single 1000w (or 1500w) coil, so there's one less point of failure. my knowledge of electronics is terrible, though: does 1 1000w coil output (generally) as much heat as 3 300w coils? my other thought is that this would reduce the load on the solid state relay, which i gather tends to get very hot. does this make sense?

the coils burn out in a few seconds if they aren't immersed. the obvious solution to this is to not be an idiot, but i was thinking of adding a floater switch as a failsafe, connected to the dc out on the pid.

speaking of failsafes, i think i'll add a circuit breaker, but i don't know what amperage i should use. the relay is rated to 25a, but uk mains are 13a, so i dunno which makes more sense for a breaker.

the original plans call for you to use an immersible aquarium pump, but they aren't foodsafe or rated for anywhere near the temps sous-vide reaches. so i'll use this food-safe, rated-to-boiling one instead. i could mount it on a little probe like this

but i think instead i'll partially integrate it into the case with a grommet like this (bottom left), as it's not officially submersible beyond 50 celsius:

i'll run stainless steel tubing to it for the inputs and outputs.

i'd need a power supply for the pump, but i want the whole device to be relatively simple looking so i don't want to use a wall wart in addition to the existing ac in so i think i'll use one of these 12v led power supplies connected to the same circuit as the coil and pid. would that work?

since ive got access to a laser cutter at my hackspace, i think i'll make my own enclosure out of two layers of acrylic, basically a white box inside a transparent one. with this setup i think i could actually make it so the pid's faceplate is flush with the surface of the case (going for stebe-like sleekness again). this will involve chemical welding, though, which i'm bad at and which can easily smudge transparent acrylic.

if possible, the coil/probe/pump will be covered with a stainless mesh shroud to prevent the food bags from coming into contact with the coils and burning.

i have a tendency to dream big dreams with these sorts of projects but fall short of actually starting them. so i feel like i need to motivate myself by putting some financial skin in the game and just buying the parts. so at least if i fail ill feel guilty about it.

Nelson MandEULA fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 12, 2013

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
oh poo poo that really ended up long. i spent a good 4 hours today thinking about this project but hadn't written anything down until now, so i guess i shat my thoughts all over the pos :shrek:. i'd be cool if any of you goonsires could give me some feedback/support though; i know a lot of you guys are smarter than me at this sort of poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so you can soak your steak at 78.3 degrees??????????

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

you could probably do it a lot cheaper by just buying a used overclocked gaming rig with a watercooling system.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

WorkingPeer posted:

the original plans call for a set of 3 110v 300w immersion heaters, but i'm thinking of using a single 1000w (or 1500w) coil, so there's one less point of failure. my knowledge of electronics is terrible, though: does 1 1000w coil output (generally) as much heat as 3 300w coils? my other thought is that this would reduce the load on the solid state relay, which i gather tends to get very hot. does this make sense?
No. 1000W is more load than 900W. At 1000W/220V = 4.5 A. This is well under the 25A rating of your relay, but those SSRs are sometimes overrated and even then that rating is probably assuming an ideal heatsink. You might still need to heatsink it.

WorkingPeer posted:

speaking of failsafes, i think i'll add a circuit breaker, but i don't know what amperage i should use. the relay is rated to 25a, but uk mains are 13a, so i dunno which makes more sense for a breaker.
you should only be drawing 4.5 amp as above, maybe get a 5 or 6A breaker.

WorkingPeer posted:

the original plans call for you to use an immersible aquarium pump, but they aren't foodsafe or rated for anywhere near the temps sous-vide reaches. so i'll use this food-safe, rated-to-boiling one instead. i could mount it on a little probe like this
isn't your food sealed in a watertight bag? does it really have to be food safe? also that pump is rated to 65C, not boiling.

WorkingPeer posted:

i'd need a power supply for the pump, but i want the whole device to be relatively simple looking so i don't want to use a wall wart in addition to the existing ac in so i think i'll use one of these 12v led power supplies connected to the same circuit as the coil and pid. would that work?
an led driver might not appreciate an inductive load like a motor.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oooo tell me how to read about inductive loads

also is sous-vide really any good? I prefer my food with a seriously fried look not soaked in milk for 3 days

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

uk is 240v so it'll be a bit less amps even.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

echinopsis posted:

oh poo poo

drat son

he didnt specify bit depth, so just input -> simple on/off gate = 1 bit right??? :v:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

spankmeister posted:

uk is 240v so it'll be a bit less amps even.

its 230V

it's actually 230V +/- 10% so you should make sure your calculations are correct for anything between 207-253V

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

peepsalot posted:

No. 1000W is more load than 900W. At 1000W/220V = 4.5 A. This is well under the 25A rating of your relay, but those SSRs are sometimes overrated and even then that rating is probably assuming an ideal heatsink. You might still need to heatsink it.

do you reckon a single 1000w or 1500w coil would heat the water about as quickly as three 300w coils? i read somewhere that the ssr manufacturer's guidelines say you must use a heatsink, so i'll definitely be getting one.

peepsalot posted:

you should only be drawing 4.5 amp as above, maybe get a 5 or 6A breaker.

okay, cool.

peepsalot posted:

isn't your food sealed in a watertight bag? does it really have to be food safe? also that pump is rated to 65C, not boiling.

argh, that's the wrong pump! here's the one i think i'll use.
(oh snap i just realised it isn't self-priming...)

i just figured that, for the same price, why not go with a foodsafe one. non food-safe sketchy ebay-purchased plastics+hot water+food+long periods of time is something i'd rather avoid. the vacuum seal isn't perfect, and eggshells are porous, so better safe than sorry.

peepsalot posted:

an led driver might not appreciate an inductive load like a motor.

yeah, i figured that'd be a problem. what kind of driver would i need for that kind of load?

Nelson MandEULA fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 12, 2013

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yah honestly if you are looking for a power supply you could do worse than just a generic wall wart w/ barrel jack. Make sure your motor has some flyback protection and get like an actual motor driver chip (or build your own :getin:) and you're golden.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Motor drivers are surprisingly simple to build and you get to learn about diodes and such

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm trying to make a non-poo poo version of biginteger and bigdecimal for scala. so far it seems to be going well though i've only got bigint partially implemented. i've got about a 5-30% speedup compared to original, but I haven't tested what happens when i start using the algorithms in https://github.com/tbuktu/bigint, hoping for some real massive performance increases.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Motor drivers are surprisingly simple to build and you get to learn about diodes and such

Phobeste posted:

Yah honestly if you are looking for a power supply you could do worse than just a generic wall wart w/ barrel jack. Make sure your motor has some flyback protection and get like an actual motor driver chip (or build your own :getin:) and you're golden.

i know i'm an idiot but whats the advantage of using a driver versus just plugging it straight into the dc? everyone i've seen make this thing has just wired it up to the wall wart. :confused:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Condiv posted:

i'm trying to make a non-poo poo version of biginteger and bigdecimal for scala. so far it seems to be going well though i've only got bigint partially implemented. i've got about a 5-30% speedup compared to original, but I haven't tested what happens when i start using the algorithms in https://github.com/tbuktu/bigint, hoping for some real massive performance increases.

i thought scala compiled down to bytecode, shouldn't it already have this stuff? i don't know diddly about scala though obviously, so i guess not.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cold on a Cob posted:

i thought scala compiled down to bytecode, shouldn't it already have this stuff? i don't know diddly about scala though obviously, so i guess not.

it has java's biginteger, which is a pile of crap. if you look at the benchmarks game, the scala and java versions using biginteger for calculating digits of pi are around 6x slower than the same bench using libgmp. Part of that is because biginteger uses long multiplication in all cases and never attempts to use any of the algorithms that are good for larger numbers like toom-cook. you can see the end result of adding these algorithms to biginteger on the github page i linked.

my version is a scala value class that uses an array of longs as the underlying storage for the type. i haven't got any of the faster multiplication algorithms added yet, but my version has a general 5-30% speedup for long multiplication and a 30% speedup for addition and subtraction operations

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

WorkingPeer posted:

i know i'm an idiot but whats the advantage of using a driver versus just plugging it straight into the dc? everyone i've seen make this thing has just wired it up to the wall wart. :confused:

For the amperage you'll be using it probably doesn't matter too much, it can just be hard on the little rectifier stuff in the adapter. Solder a capacitor across the motor terminals and you'll be good.

Mainly it would just be a good learning experience and start you on the path to more complex drivers that can reverse and do PWM and poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Condiv posted:

it has java's biginteger, which is a pile of crap. if you look at the benchmarks game, the scala and java versions using biginteger for calculating digits of pi are around 6x slower than the same bench using libgmp. Part of that is because biginteger uses long multiplication in all cases and never attempts to use any of the algorithms that are good for larger numbers like toom-cook. you can see the end result of adding these algorithms to biginteger on the github page i linked.

my version is a scala value class that uses an array of longs as the underlying storage for the type. i haven't got any of the faster multiplication algorithms added yet, but my version has a general 5-30% speedup for long multiplication and a 30% speedup for addition and subtraction operations

that's pretty cool

had no idea java's implementation was so lovely, i wonder how .net's is

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
someone mentioned using version control for that shadowrun camp i have on the workshop yesterday. can i get an explaination or some reading on how to accomplish this?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sweevo posted:

its 230V

it's actually 230V +/- 10% so you should make sure your calculations are correct for anything between 207-253V

it's supposed to be 230 but they intentionally made the margins so that countries could keep running 220 or 240v systems and last time i was in the uk a year or so ago they were still at 240.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Mainframe security research (cause gently caress IBM thats why).

Yes in my spare fuckin time I do research on how lovely the IBM developers and z/OS system administrators are so I can teach the knuckle dragging mouthbreathers at security conferences that they should actually be looking at this poo poo instead of fuckin toilets and/or home automation bullshit.

Because of this self loathing and disgust for IBM i've given talks at Shmoocon, Thotcon, blackhat and various Bsides.

Things mainframes do:

- Send passwords in cleartext.
- Stores a 'hash' of the users password using DES. Yes, single-DES.
- Allows command execution and SQL statements using the FTP daemon
- Runs the Web server APF authorized (i.e. if you have it running any cgi poo poo you can access crazy datasets if you've never done any code reviews or pen testing. Guess which platform never does that poo poo because its 'legacy').

I'm currently working on a metasploit meterpreter for the mainframe cause I hate sleep.

Oh, I also occasionally run YOSPOS/380 to let all the super-old-beards gently caress around with a real old mainframe.

I also browse http://sixteencolors.net/ in my spare time cause I have a hardon for the good ole days of ANSI art

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Mainframe security research (cause gently caress IBM thats why).

are you talking about modern mainframes or about stuff from the 1980s that's still chugging along? b/c i honestly did not know mainframes were still A Thing (i am a childe)

i also hadn't thought about how loltastic the security would be in software designed under ye olde assumption that all users would be in the same room