Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Sleepy Dogs seems simple enough But is there anything I should know before I start???

This should cover you!

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Sleeping_Dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The last bit there "- The fastest way to escape a police chase is to destroy the cars chasing you either by running them off the road or by shooting at them" should read "or by shooting out their tires". Destroying the cars / killing cops obviously just increases the number of cops chasing you.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

The last bit there "- The fastest way to escape a police chase is to destroy the cars chasing you either by running them off the road or by shooting at them" should read "or by shooting out their tires". Destroying the cars / killing cops obviously just increases the number of cops chasing you.

Good eye. I've changed it.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Thanks for the info...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is kinda obscure, but, I'm about to start playing Tomba(/Tombi)2. I recall these games being kind of obscure in their sidequesting, would it even be feasible to not consult a guide occasionally?

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Sleepy Dogs seems simple enough But is there anything I should know before I start???

One thing that is not on the wiki that confused me for a while was using the Action Hijack ability. Its not immediately obvious but when you are in a car and hold the key/button (I used a 360 controller so it was "A" for me.), try to maneuver Wei's car move slightly to the right (not directly behind) of the vehicle you're trying to hijack. On the other hand, on a bike positioning doesn't seem to matter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Amppelix posted:

This is kinda obscure, but, I'm about to start playing Tomba(/Tombi)2. I recall these games being kind of obscure in their sidequesting, would it even be feasible to not consult a guide occasionally?

Do you want to complete every quest? You'll probably need a guide.

But the game is perfectly beatable without it and half the fun is discovering how to complete them because the quests are pretty clever.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't know what button it is on a controller, but when you press Lctrl (the "ram" button), Wei Shen encases his car in a psychic energy shield and launches it in whatever direction you like. I don't think it corresponds to anything else in other games, but it's incredibly fun ruining random passersbys with your arcane automotive sorceries.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Phobophilia posted:

I don't know what button it is on a controller, but when you press Lctrl (the "ram" button), Wei Shen encases his car in a psychic energy shield and launches it in whatever direction you like. I don't think it corresponds to anything else in other games, but it's incredibly fun ruining random passersbys with your arcane automotive sorceries.

Usually the X button, or square if you're using a PS3 controller. Or the left-most one on the button pad.

Also, it's handy for making small, uncontrolled bursts of speed during chase-down missions. Best part about it, though, is getting a large armored truck and going rampaging. Swatting down cop cars left and right is fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any tips for Risen 2 and Two Worlds 2? The wiki for the first Risen mentions some essential stuff that game doesn't explain at all, and Two Worlds 1 was hilariously broken and great to exploit but generally a poo poo game. Most of these Euro crpgs are fairly obtuse and not great on explaining mechanics.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Differo Cathedra posted:

One thing that is not on the wiki that confused me for a while was using the Action Hijack ability. Its not immediately obvious but when you are in a car and hold the key/button (I used a 360 controller so it was "A" for me.), try to maneuver Wei's car move slightly to the right (not directly behind) of the vehicle you're trying to hijack. On the other hand, on a bike positioning doesn't seem to matter.
I think you mean "to the left", since the driver seat in the game is on the right side of the car, and Wei pops out of the right side window.

Phobophilia posted:

Oh yeah - the same quote from the wiki I asked to edit should probably have "ram off the road" rather than "run off the road". I misread at first.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Even "off the road" implies a little more nuance than is necessary. If you just come up along side a car and ram it a couple times it'll break down, even if it never loses control or hits anything (though obviously doing that will get the job done faster/look cooler). Sleeping dogs did a really good job of sucking the tedium out of car chases that exists in other games of the genre, they give you the tools to solve the problem very efficiently.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm starting Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening (PC version) for the first time, anything I should know going in? I just passed the first part of Vigil's Keep and now the game just open the hell up with about 50 some quests for me to do. Is there a quest order that's recommended, any game breaking bugs I should watch out for (of course there is its Dragon Age), and can I feel safe selling all my junk to the vendor in the throne room without worry of him resetting at some point and me losing it all?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Im_Special posted:

So I'm starting Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening (PC version) for the first time, anything I should know going in? I just passed the first part of Vigil's Keep and now the game just open the hell up with about 50 some quests for me to do. Is there a quest order that's recommended, any game breaking bugs I should watch out for (of course there is its Dragon Age), and can I feel safe selling all my junk to the vendor in the throne room without worry of him resetting at some point and me losing it all?

It's been too long since I played to remember the quests, but one thing stuck. Upgrading your keep is expensive, but will affect the ending, so be sure to get it done.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
So I know its not the most recent game, but what should I know about Tales of Graces F? What does the F stand for, anyway?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

JaggerMcDagger posted:

So I know its not the most recent game, but what should I know about Tales of Graces F? What does the F stand for, anyway?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Tales_of_Graces_F

The "f" stands for "Future", since the PS3 re-release contains a future arc that is not available in the original Wii version. You start it after you complete the main game, and it acts as an epilogue of sorts (Though it's about 10 hours long).

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Xander77 posted:

I think you mean "to the left", since the driver seat in the game is on the right side of the car, and Wei pops out of the right side window.

You're right. I played the game for about 30 hours months ago and only got used to driving on a different side of the road at the end.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Centipeed posted:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Tales_of_Graces_F

The "f" stands for "Future", since the PS3 re-release contains a future arc that is not available in the original Wii version. You start it after you complete the main game, and it acts as an epilogue of sorts (Though it's about 10 hours long).

Thanks for that! Are the sidequests as easy to miss as Vesperia, or are we talking a logical level of oh hey do this thing now?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Thanks for that! Are the sidequests as easy to miss as Vesperia, or are we talking a logical level of oh hey do this thing now?

Sidequests are much more sane. There's a request board with the majority of the sidequests, but you can get a few by wandering around town and talking to people with an "!" over their head. I believe only two sidequests are actually missable, and one of them is basically "Did you do this at any point before entering the final dungeon?"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for Sword of the Stars? I feel like I must have seen stuff before, but there isn't anything on the wiki.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I'm replaying Psychonauts on my 360; before I only got up to Milkman Conspiracy on my PC. What do I need to know?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Count Chocula posted:

I'm replaying Psychonauts on my 360; before I only got up to Milkman Conspiracy on my PC. What do I need to know?
If you're going to collect all the figments, use a guide.

Seriously.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you still have your PC save you might want to play that version instead. They fixed a bugged jump in the final level. While it's not impossible, you'll want to pull your loving hair out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Count Chocula posted:

Use Clairvoyance on everything all the time.
Once you get Mr. Pokeylope, take a break from the story and show him off to everybody (this is late in the game).
If you are playing a version with achievements, note that some of them (the ones involving campers) are time dependent. Consider using a guide.

Colon V posted:

If you're going to collect all the figments, use a guide.

Seriously.

Also, make sure you've finished Milla's stage before you decide if you want to collect all the figments. The figments there are by far the trickiest to collect.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 18, 2013

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Sword of the Stars? I feel like I must have seen stuff before, but there isn't anything on the wiki.

If you're new to 4X games, I'd recommend starting with the Tarka or the Liir as they have the most easily understood drive systems. Beyond that, there are a few basic pointers:

- Use multiple colonisers to colonise high-hazard worlds (like 5 for mid hazard or 20 for high hazard)
- If you want to attack an enemy colony, you'll probably need point defence. Assault shuttles are very good in the early game when you've only got destroyers.
- The tech tree is random, and your chances of getting a tech in any particular game is determined by your race. However, there are multiple ways of getting individual techs, and you can normally find a way of achieving the effect you're looking for by using different types of techs (i.e. if you don't get laser point defence you could use gauss PD or two Wild Weasel ships).

Beyond that, ask questions in the SOTS 2 thread. People would much rather talk about the first game than the sequel.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

The old SOTS1 thread had some good stuff in it if you've got archives, Here's a list of unintuive, helpful poo poo that isn't really explained anywhere:

The old SOTS OP posted:

List of useful unintuitive interface stuff that probably isn't mentioned anywhere
  • [ or ] to roll all selected ships
  • Hold ctrl to add/remove ships from the current selection
  • Hold shift to force a fleet to travel directly to a star, bypassing any existing gates or node lines
  • Right click a weapon on the ship designer to fill every similar slot with that weapon
  • Ctrl+pgup/pgdn speed up and slow down time in combat.
  • Click and drag on the main map to measure the distance between any two objects
  • Pause button pauses combat in single player
  • Space bar brings up the political view! (not really useful)
  • When you are in the empire summary screen (clicking the pie chart), you can sort your colonies and explored systems by double-clicking on an item. Alternatively, right-click to open a "sort by..." interface
  • Trade view tells you which planets you need to explore/clear to be able to trade.
  • Scanner range view tells you if there are any holes in your scan net.
  • Political view gives you a rough idea of the relative sizes of your empire, and whether someone's dared intrude on YOUR space. Also I think the military mode of that gives you the operational ranges of each player's fleet.
  • Click the little arrow below the turn bar at the top to bring down a list of players. You can then click on the names there to highlight them in the main map.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

What should I know before playing Alone In The Dark (2008) that is not related to the quality of the game? I'm going to play the PC version which apparently is like the 360/PS3 versions, but different from the PS2/Wii releases.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
I recently picked up the Origin bundle, so what do I need to know about Battlefield 3?

Also, I'd like to second the question regarding Risen 2 on this page. I picked that up from a bundle recently and only just got around to installing it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mock and Droll posted:

I recently picked up the Origin bundle, so what do I need to know about Battlefield 3?

Use Q to spot enemies, whether they're on the ground or in the air. It helps everyone else out immensely.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Mock and Droll posted:

Read this post in the Battlefield 3 thread. It has a lot of handy tips for beginners. Also know that Q spotting has a short cooldown if you spam it a lot, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 18, 2013

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Re: Psychonauts

Mierenneuker posted:

Use Clairvoyance on everything all the time.

Consider using a guide.

Just reiterating this. I shared an office for a year with one of the main programmer's wives and she really made it sound like that whole team was passionate about their game and took crazy amounts of feedback from everyone involved. This dynamic does seem to translate, however, into some truly "old-school" collect-a-thon mechanics etc. which take you back nostalgically, but probably qualify as "controller-throwing" for modern completionists. If you want all the figments, be ready for some moments of precision 3d platforming to the tops of random environmental objects which you're like, "Can I jump on that? Naw no way I can jump on that." And then you do and you think, "that's just a glitch." And then you get to the top of a tree or weathervane and find a grip of figments.

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Any advice for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (other than cutitcutitcutitcutitcutit)? I'm only a little ways in but it feels like something hasn't quite "clicked" with me yet.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Any advice for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (other than cutitcutitcutitcutitcutit)? I'm only a little ways in but it feels like something hasn't quite "clicked" with me yet.

Parry everything; EVERYTHING. Also, the first boss weapon is very good, especially when upgraded. Learn to use ripper mode to take out tough enemies quickly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, parrying is a vital skill to learn. There's an excellent LP of the game currently running here, if you aren't following it already: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550185

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There's some useful info in the OP of the game's thread, but I'll just post it in here for quick reference:

Chip Cheezum posted:

PARRYING - The game does not explain how you parry very well. You press the left stick in the direction on the enemy's incoming attack and hit wide attack (square on PS3, X on 360) at the same time. If you have poor timing, you just block the attack. If you parry the attack just before it hits you, you follow up with a counterattack. MOVING TOWARDS AN ENEMY AND THEN HITTING ATTACK AFTERWARDS DOES NOT PARRY. IF YOU ARE MOVING THE STICK IN ANY WAY, LET THE STICK GO BACK TO NEUTRAL, THEN PRESS THE STICK AGAIN IN THE DIRECTION OF THE INCOMING ATTACK WHILE HITTING WIDE ATTACK AT THE SAME TIME.

DODGE MOVE - One of the first moves available for purchase in the game is the Offensive Defense move. Once purchased, you can press wide attack and jump at the same time to do a dodge. It is one of the cheapest abilities in the game, and you should buy it right away. Pressing the stick in a direction while dodging makes you dodge in that direction. If you are locked on to an enemy, dodging to the side allows you to strafe around them. You can dodge forward too, and it has some slight invincibility frames.

LOCK ON - By default, press R2 on the PS3, or the right bumper on the 360, to lock on to enemies. This helps out a lot when fighting single, large enemies.

BLADE MODE CAMERA - By default, the left stick rotates the blade mode camera. You can also walk around during Blade Mode by clicking in and holding the left stick.

I never figured out how to parry correctly until I read that, so it's definitely good to know.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
For the game Torchlight, I have downloaded the mod that automatically identifies all of the equipment. However there is no readme-instructions on how to install the mod. How do I install the mod?

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance

Kruller posted:

Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion?

Fleet composition is crucial. You must know purpose of different unit types, how to counter them and which to take out first. Luckily, most units have a rough equivalent in each race: If you know what a "long range frigate" is and how/why it is used, that applies to the the Javelis LRM (TEC), the Illuminator (Advent), and the Kanrak (Vasari). Capital ships are more varied, but most of them still have archetypes.

Also, don't sweat the pirates. I remember getting really frustrated with them when I was learning the game, and my friends as well, but once you get the hang of the economy aspect of the game it stops being an issue.

Overall, it's pretty straight-forward if you're familiar with RTS and 4X.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

1redflag posted:

Parry everything; EVERYTHING.

Anything that doesn't shine gold in its wind-up can be parried. From the smallest drone to the biggest boss.

Most enemies that you perfectly parry will become open to an insta-kill counterattack.

If you Zandatsu multiple enemies within the same window, you can collect all their spines consecutively for extra badassness and restoration.

Easy Zandatsus can be done by moving the default horizontal line to the square and hitting the "horizontal slice" button (default Square, I think.)

Once you're familiar with how long a Zandatsu window lasts, you can use it to immediately expose the enemy's spine and then slice it to pieces for extra combo points before completing the Zandatsu.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Echoing what those other guys said. Even if something doesn't look like there is any way in hell you can parry it, you can most likely parry it. Missiles? Sure. 50-foot robot? Go nuts. Watch out for the armored cyborgs with big sledgehammers, though, they have an attack you can't parry.

Learn the dodge-attack and use it CONSTANTLY. It's incredibly useful. Ditto the aerial kick that brings you to your target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Anything I should be aware of for Shadowrun Returns? I'm a total neophyte to the franchise who only has the Kickstarter page info and 20-ish pages of the primer to go on.