Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
2 loops on normal in risk of rain!

They really need to normalize the power curve and randomize the map more for release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What are everyones thoughts on "100 Rogues"? I've been playing it a lot lately, seems a little shallow.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

100 rogues is pretty nice. Its well known for having a decent control scheme for a mobile game and does a good job at being a quick fix on the go. Downsides have largely been updates that crash all the dang time and some truly lovely deaths due to things like food just refusing to drop and hunger killing you. I have had hunger kill me many times within the first few floors due to just all too common bad luck.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I've been playing some Occult Chronicles and it's a pretty fun board game roguelike thing, I'll do a mini write up for the OP later.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Occult Chronicles (Currently in Beta)
Map:

Trick taking card game:

Genre: Turn-based RPG, Board-game
Graphics: 2D room tiles and nice card and encounter art.
Platform: Windows.
Cost: $14.99/£10.43/€12.19

Occult Chronicles is an commercial strategy game with roguelike elements and a light Lovecraftian theme currently in Beta. It features perma-death and a randomly generated map. You are an Occult Defense Directorate (O.D.D.) agent on a mission in an old mansion, there are 4 different missions which affect what kind of encounters you'll find. All encounters (battles, spells, lore check, trap avoidance etc) are done via a card game where you have to score a certain number of tricks to succeed, your chances with the cards are affected by your stats which can be improved directly or through edges (read perks) by levelling up. After an encounter you are shown 10 face down cards and given a number to pick, if you won the encounter you'll likely find some good things (health, sanity, bullets) if you lost some bad things (losing sanity/health) amongst blank 'no effect' cards.

Luck does play quite a big part with the cards which is double edged, sometimes you'll lose an encounter due to a bad draw but on the results screen you'll draw only blanks so you end up losing nothing.

Bonus silly encounter:

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 12, 2013

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Brogue: my monkey examined a bat and is now a flying monkey.

What advantages does flight convey? Is he harder to hit, or does this just mean he's gonna go flitting off across a bunch of lava after an enemy, where I can't rescue his hairy screechy rear end?

Also, I'd consider Zafehouse: Diaries to be a roguelike as well. It has a randomly generated map, it's hard as gently caress, and though you manage a party, when someone dies, they stay that way. For my tastes, it's too complex and punishing for me to get more than ten minutes in, but my short experience with it sure makes it seem rogueish.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS

Klaus Kinski posted:

2 loops on normal in risk of rain!

They really need to normalize the power curve and randomize the map more for release.

It's worth noting that the release version will have more levels and an actual endgame condition, though it hasn't been announced exactly what that condition is yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

doctorfrog posted:

Brogue: my monkey examined a bat and is now a flying monkey.

What advantages does flight convey? Is he harder to hit, or does this just mean he's gonna go flitting off across a bunch of lava after an enemy, where I can't rescue his hairy screechy rear end?

He can't fall down pits, he can't be affected by the poison fungus, he can pass over lava and water no issue, and he won't set off traps on the floor. As you mentioned, yeah sometimes they'll fly off over some lava to attack something too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Install Windows posted:

He can't fall down pits, he can't be affected by the poison fungus, he can pass over lava and water no issue, and he won't set off traps on the floor. As you mentioned, yeah sometimes they'll fly off over some lava to attack something too.

Yep, I thought of that as I discovered a vault absolutely surrounded by fire traps.

He later flew off over a lake to fight three vampire bats and a group of goblins worshiping a totem. He did not survive.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Also, I'd consider Zafehouse: Diaries to be a roguelike as well. It has a randomly generated map, it's hard as gently caress, and though you manage a party, when someone dies, they stay that way. For my tastes, it's too complex and punishing for me to get more than ten minutes in, but my short experience with it sure makes it seem rogueish.

It really is hard, especially when relationships decay and/or you get one of those special events.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 13, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Geokinesis posted:

It really is hard, especially when relationships decay and/or you get one of those special events.

Or, worse, your only competent survivor is black, and everyone else is a racist. They die so fast. :(

The main problem with the game is that it's poorly paced. Your options are really limited if you want to get anything done fast enough to evacuate, and if you manage to barricade yourself up in the center fast enough without your survivors murdering the poo poo out of each-other, you've pretty much won.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

my dad posted:

Or, worse, your only competent survivor is black, and everyone else is a racist. They die so fast. :(

The main problem with the game is that it's poorly paced. Your options are really limited if you want to get anything done fast enough to evacuate, and if you manage to barricade yourself up in the center fast enough without your survivors murdering the poo poo out of each-other, you've pretty much won.

Yeah :(
They released a new update last month with an apparently easier gamemode 'No Survivors':

quote:

You’ve been asking for a truly endless game mode and here it is! The biggest change you’ll notice in this new mode is that you start with just one survivor. Don’t worry, by searching the town or using a flashlight or beacon, you can find / attract survivors to boost your odds. Each survivor brings with them prejudices, items and even injuries, so you’ll need to carefully consider their inclusion. And, when the group reaches its capacity of five, it’s not you who decides who should go — your survivors will make that decision for you!

If you do reject a survivor, they’ll retaliate by stealing equipment, sabotaging barricades and setting traps, so be careful!

You won’t encounter the likes of the super zombie, lynch mob or the girl and her dangerous relatives either, but that’s only because No Survivors presents its own set of tribulations. You’ll have to track down resources, set up safehouses and try and keep zombie levels down by patrolling and sniping. If you don’t, locations will slowly be overrun, after which you won’t be able to access them.

On a different note had the shortest game of Occult Chronicles so far.

I rolled an accountant (bonuses to persuasion, a few random intellect items and a bonus to avoiding horror) promptly fell through a rotting floor after failing to grasp the edge. I found myself in an underground room and was attacked by the spawn of an elder god.

Game lasted 12 turns.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 13, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Question for y'all: I'm trying out unNethack (because I'm a big idiot, never could get the hang of regular nethack) and I'm having an issue that's slightly annoying. I love the default tiles that come with it (unchozo32b, it's still letters for enemies, it just looks nice), but with the tiles the levels are larger than my screen. This would be fine, but the way the autoscrolling behaves is to stay where it is until I'm 5 tiles from the edge of the screen, and only then to start scrolling with my character, which is obviously less than ideal when there might be monsters that way, and it's annoying to have to manually scroll the screen constantly. Is there an option to have the game keep my character centered until it physically can't because I've reached the edge of the map? Alternatively, is there a way I can shrink the tiles down/anyone know of other good ascii-derived tiles that will fit an entire level on a 16:9 screen (1366x768)?

E: Also Occult Chronicles looks fantastic and I am so buying it.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 13, 2013

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Since this game haunted my childhood, I figured I should do a writeup! I may tackle this game on stream sometime and try to finish it.

Sword of Fargoal

Genre: Turn-ish based RPG
Graphics: Tile based sprite
Platform: Commodore 64 (original), iPhone/iPad, PC
Forks: Open Source Remakes on PC, Sword of Fargoal Legends (Mac and iPad), Sword of Fargoal 2 (in development)

Written in 1982, this is one of the earlier roguelikes. It was initially going to be called Sword of Fargaol (gaol meaning jail), but a producer convinced the creator(one Jeff McCord) to change it. It was the first of the microcomputer games to have randomly generated levels, and also, it's friggin hard as hell. You have to find the sword (between level 15 and 20, and I never have done so), and as soon as you DO find it, you have to make your way back up under a strict time limit (2000 seconds), and the levels are rerolled every time you exit and enter them, so...

Depthwise, there's not a lot to the game. there's a little over 20 monsters, items are very specific (healing potions, light spells, +1 to your weapon strength, some others), there's no skillsets or anything, and found gold is only used to turn it at temples on the map for bonus XP. Your warrior can move freely around the map, monsters move on a timer that gradually speeds up as you get lower in the dungeon, until they move almost as fast as you do. No idling! As mentioned earlier, though, the lack of depth does not make it any easier, it's known as one of the harder C64 games to even complete.

Recently the original creator started and finished a Kickstarter to make a sequel, that is currently in development.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Sword of Fargoal website really does its damndest to pretend that their original, free remake doesn't exist, but it's out there. Can't blame them for trying to make a buck off of their IP, but there isn't even a viable PC port of the commercial version yet.

(that is, I think that the remakes.org competition version was made by the same guys?)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I really do like some rougelikes. But maybe goons could give some good suggestions.

After playing the old Kameran's Eye (Or however it's spelled) I do like the friendly towns and npc's that get attacked by roaming monsters.

Is there other rougelikes that sort of have the whole 'friendly npc's about that'll either fight back or fight for you if you bail them out'? I don't mean as in party members either.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Slim to none come to mind given how rare most Roguelikes even having that kind of apparatus in terms of towns and such outside of maybe something like Elona(+).

That said, just in case, you did play the sequel right? Kamyran's Eye 2 was better than the original in every way IIRC---really wish they'd revive the series with a seriously updated third entrant.

http://keye2.phk.at/

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Drakenel posted:

I really do like some rougelikes. But maybe goons could give some good suggestions.

After playing the old Kameran's Eye (Or however it's spelled) I do like the friendly towns and npc's that get attacked by roaming monsters.

Is there other rougelikes that sort of have the whole 'friendly npc's about that'll either fight back or fight for you if you bail them out'? I don't mean as in party members either.

Incursion has an alignment system that can make plenty of NPCs neutral or friendly towards you, and they interact with each other all the time. You'll often run into two monsters fighting, or arrive too late and find everybody in the room slaughtered. With the diplomacy skill, you can barter with, try to recruit, or demand submission from any NPC that speaks your language.

There's no towns, but it is a very interactive dungeon.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

my dad posted:

So it's literally Night of the Living Dead: The Game?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Farquar posted:

Incursion has an alignment system that can make plenty of NPCs neutral or friendly towards you, and they interact with each other all the time. You'll often run into two monsters fighting, or arrive too late and find everybody in the room slaughtered. With the diplomacy skill, you can barter with, try to recruit, or demand submission from any NPC that speaks your language.

There's no towns, but it is a very interactive dungeon.

This is more along the lines I meant. I like manipulating allegiences like that. I'll give it a look, thank you.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Drakenel posted:

The old ToME (2.3.X) had a tiny bit of this but it wasn't really a feature. I don't think the townies in the dungeon towns were good for much but I think I remember monsters following you in and killing them. There was an add-on module called Theme that added a lot more content including Tolkein-themed NPC allies occasionally teleporting in to bail you out. Unfortunately I was never really able to get that stable on my mac, and the guy who wrote it stopped keeping it up-to-date with the last few releases in the 2.3 series.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drakenel posted:

This is more along the lines I meant. I like manipulating allegiences like that. I'll give it a look, thank you.

There's also Depths of Peril, though it's a hybrid roguelike at best. Din's Curse to a lesser extent. Soldak does some really interesting stuff.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Anyone have a contact at 7DRL? Their blog has been compromised, it seems.

http://7drl.org/

quote:

Hair is water, if any. but you will acqui­si­tion some of the best places listed below, As a admired ones present to them­selves they agi­tated out an inter­net chase acquis­i­tive to locate and admis­sion this adapted video game. he antic­i­pa­tion they breadth best of the dice? Us of the accord amidst bed­mate and wife bar­gain GHD stylers, will feel they can access abun­dance is far from ade­quate.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It is tradition at this point for 7DRL blog to be compromised shortly after the end of the event until shortly before the start of the next---I don't know why this is the case with whomever, but here we are.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

There's also Depths of Peril, though it's a hybrid roguelike at best. Din's Curse to a lesser extent. Soldak does some really interesting stuff.

Their latest one, Drox Operative is almost entirely about manipulating other groups into alliances/wars to your own gain. Well that and killing billions of monsters. But it's definitely a roguelike-like, maybe even another like or two deep. Soldak games are sorta Diablolikes, or action-rpgs, but with really interesting proceedurality. Also, Drox Op is all spaceships and no dungeon.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

doctorfrog posted:

The Sword of Fargoal website really does its damndest to pretend that their original, free remake doesn't exist, but it's out there. Can't blame them for trying to make a buck off of their IP, but there isn't even a viable PC port of the commercial version yet.

(that is, I think that the remakes.org competition version was made by the same guys?)

Yeah, the remakes.org version was made by the same people who are on the Fargoal site (with the exception of the original creator?) My assumption is they made the remake, the creator was like "That's a hell of a good idea", and then they all companied up. My assumption, anyway. It is a bit disconcerting that they go to such effort to not acknowledge the freeware version, but eh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Desktop Dungeons has come a really, really long way since the free version, if you don't mind needing to be online to play it it's worth pre-ordering. Hopefully the standalone version will come out sometime before the world ends.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just backed Paranautical Activity's kickstarter (and also bought a copy of the game from their website because I wanted to play it now).

It's pretty basic, but it's a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can really do with this given some more time and money. In the meantime, if you're willing to support smaller devs and buy into a beta, it's worth picking up.

On that note, I should have some more stuff for the OP later tonight or tomorrow. I'd like to knock off the roguelike platformers at least.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

I actually own both of these and Drox Operative! And I do enjoy them.

I just wish I had someone else to play with. :(

Dec 26, 2012

Thanks to whoever recommended Sil. Holy poo poo, that game's sucked hours of my life away.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sil is the best. I have a lot of fun even watching other people play

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...

01011001 posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Sil. Holy poo poo, that game's sucked hours of my life away.

Seconding this. I have spent a lot of time on Sil recently thanks to this thread (and started reading the Silmarilllion).
I find that I am struggling to work out what I need to use my experience on when. Anyone have any general advice about how to build a character? Or any builds that they like to go with/the order they take skills?

I keep finding that there's too much that I want (stealth, mêlée, song, evasion...). I want to try a song of mastery build but can't stay alive long enough...

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I had no idea there was a remake. A quick search was all I needed to grab the game thanks for the heads up!

Also how similar is Sil to Angband? Or I guess the best question is, what are the major differences between the two?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
From the PDF manual included with the game (probably a bit overkill):

quote:

pre:
Main changes
• You are no longer trying to kill Morgoth
    • The aim is now to free a Silmaril from Morgoth’s crown, then escape
• The game is much shorter
    • Morgoth is found at 1,000 ft
    • A winning game should take about 10 hours
• There is no town or word of recall5
• It has a much more coherent theme: The First Age of Middle Earth
• There are no classes, or experience levels
    • Instead there are 8 skills to improve
    • With a tree of special abilities for each
• The combat system is completely new
    • It is very thoroughly thought out and tested
    • It leads to many more interesting choices for the player
• Monster AI is much better
    • It uses 4GAI, plus numerous improvements
• The monsters, items, artefacts and almost completely rewritten
• There is much less explicit magic
    • e.g. no fireballs, no teleportation…
• There is more tactical depth in combat
    • Partly due to the absence of teleportation and other easy escapes
• There is an effective time limit
    • Over time you can no longer find your way to the shallower depths
    • You can thus play each level more than once, but not indefinitely
System changes
• Stats
    • Based around the average for the Men of the first age (set as 0)
    • There are no ‘stat potions’, so initial stats matter a lot more
    • Int/Wis/Cha are replaced with Grace
• Hit points don’t go up with experience
    • They are solely based on your Constitution
    • You die at 0 (instead of –1 in Angband)
• Elements
    • There are only four elemental attacks (fire, cold, poison, dark)
    • Resistances stack, reducing damage to ½, then ⅓, then ¼, …
    • Dark resistance is determined by your light level 
    • Poison does no direct damage, but damages over time
• Speed is much less fine grained and less available
    • The only speeds are 1, 2, 3, 4
    • normal speed is 2, so +1 speed makes you move 50% faster
• The only ‘pseudo id’ is {special}, which covers artefacts and ‘ego-items’
• You can only tunnel with shovels and mattocks

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

All this Sil talk. I think it's my next traditional roguelike, after I'm done with Brogue.

Which will be awhile. Because I am a very slow roguelike player.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Sil seriously rocks and anyone who likes roguelikes needs to give it a try.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

doctorfrog posted:

All this Sil talk. I think it's my next traditional roguelike, after I'm done with Brogue.

Which will be awhile. Because I am a very slow roguelike player.

Just do what I do and be bad at all of them at once, instead of actually learning and improving with just one.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Only bad thing about Sil is its Dwarf Fortress-like release schedule.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Oski posted:

I keep finding that there's too much that I want (stealth, mêlée, song, evasion...). I want to try a song of mastery build but can't stay alive long enough...

You really need to specialize in this game. Skill levels are super important, a 1 point increase makes a big difference. High level skills are very expensive to increase, but it's worth it. It's still worth diverisfying, but you can't spread yourself too thin.

At the start of the game you should put most of your exp into combat skills (melee, archery, evasion). Take a bit of smithing too, for the guaranteed forge. Other skills are good to take a bit in too, but don't specialize in them yet. While you can go heavily into stealth/song in the beginning and win (it's possible to win a pacifist in sil), it's not as easy for a new player.

Don't take too many abilities at the start (the stuff on the tab menu). They are useful, but expensive if you take too many. Focus on what you think you need for that character.

As for song of mastery, its powerful if you can get it, but it's a late game thing. And by that point, a lot of characters will prefer song of sharpness for combat. Depends on what artefacts you find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Song of sharpness is also really good for actually winning the game. You need a sharp blade to actually cut the silmaril out of the crown, so a lot of people just get song of sharpness for a guaranteed sharp blade. And like EvilMike said, it's also really helpful for combat.