Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Nate RFB posted:

Some scanlations for Chapter 61 finally showed up.

I wonder what the longest period of time that Academy City has gone without someone starting up some evil plan is.

Probably nonexistent. The whole place is stuffed with power mad teenagers and even madder scientists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

veekie posted:

Probably nonexistent. The whole place is stuffed with power mad teenagers and even madder scientists.

Speaking of - out of the seven Level 5 espers in the world, how many of them are not terrifyingly crazy and/or power hungry? I know that power corrupts, but we have "kill everything while laughing" Accelerator, "kill Misaka for a promotion" Meltdowner, and "mass mind control just to be a dick" Mental Out. Did Misaka win the "sane human being" lottery?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HellCopter posted:

Speaking of - out of the seven Level 5 espers in the world, how many of them are not terrifyingly crazy and/or power hungry? I know that power corrupts, but we have "kill everything while laughing" Accelerator, "kill Misaka for a promotion" Meltdowner, and "mass mind control just to be a dick" Mental Out. Did Misaka win the "sane human being" lottery?
Misaka has her crazy side as well. Her final decision in this past arc was "I'm going to get myself killed in order to bring peace and happiness to my clones. Even my closest friends will understand my choice of essentially committing assisted suicide!" Okay, that's a bit of an extreme interpretation of her actions. But yes, she is probably the closest to a sane Level-5 esper that we know of.

Then again, one of her closest friends is Kuroko Shirai. So, she must have a few screws loose, at the very least.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

HellCopter posted:

Her first thought after finding a guy who can negate her powers for no apparent reason is "I must fight you now :black101:" and trying to hack him to pieces with an electromagnetic dust-chainsaw. She might not be weapons-grade crazy, but she isn't really the most well-adjusted girl out there. She just happens to have a slightly less broken moral compass than the other level 5s.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Even in-story she's known as the only normal Level 5 but she's still a little off-kilter.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HellCopter posted:

Other than his obsession with guts, Sogiita Gunha seems fairly well-adjusted... relatively.

God I hope we see that guy animated.

LN spoilers
#6 hasn't appeared at all yet, which may have something to do with his power. Someone claiming to be him showed up in the latest LN, IIRC.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 13, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mental Out isn't particularly nice but we haven't seen anything yet to indicate she's as messed up as the others.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Nate RFB posted:

Mental Out isn't particularly nice but we haven't seen anything yet to indicate she's as messed up as the others.

I would think if she can controls peoples mind and destroy their free will thats kinda messed up. Especially since she can make everyone love her like narcissistic like.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Let's put it this way. Mental Out could be worse.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

She could be, but she still a lovely enough human being for me to want to punch her in the face. Not only did she take over that library just for fun, she seems to revel in her power. If given the chance, I can see her easily becoming a criminal.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Redcrimson posted:

Her first thought after finding a guy who can negate her powers for no apparent reason is "I must fight you now :black101:" and trying to hack him to pieces with an electromagnetic dust-chainsaw. She might not be weapons-grade crazy, but she isn't really the most well-adjusted girl out there. She just happens to have a slightly less broken moral compass than the other level 5s.
Seems par the course for a 14 year old girl frankly.

In all honesty I think she doesn't really stop to think of the possible consequences with the whole Touma fighting thing. She does properly lose her poo poo during the Sisters arc, but I don't think there'd be many people that'd shrug that off.

e: Mental out's fine, but she dresses like a prostitute.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Phobophilia posted:

Manga spoilers but mental out could be a lot worse, luckily she spends most of her time loving back over the dark side of academy city who obviously want those sweet brain melting powers

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well looking at things:
Accelerator - Psychopathy, superiority complex, no sense of proportionate response. No friends to speak of. Just enemies and insects.

Dark Matter - God complex and an urge to stop being Number Two. No friends, nearest thing to regular human interaction is a Kihara.

Railgun - Violent streak, she goes hunting for delinquents so often to let off steam, but mostly just stun and terrorize them rather than anything permanent. Close friends who aren't bothered by her power.

Meltdowner - Berserker. Revels in indiscriminate destruction. Some friends, though they're more like minions really.

Mental Out - Control freak, Insecure. Casual disregard for human dignity, though at least she doesn't kill randomly. No real friends, only mind-slaves.

Sogita Gunha - Crazy in the anime protagonist sense. Hero complex. Has a few friends, sort of trying to keep up with this crazy

Seems to me that at least part of their problems stem from isolation. Most level 5s just don't really have any friends who'd tell them they're doing something wrong, or refuse to take their bullshit. Whereas Misaka is as stable as she is probably because Kuroko is a persistent crazy lesbian stalker. Someone who trusts her to the extent that she's not worried of being accidentally killed in a fit of annoyance. Misaka has loving parents, whereas looking at the living conditions of most of the Level 5s, they're likely not in any contact with family.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Falken posted:

e: Mental out's fine, but she dresses like a prostitute.

...except she doesn't. What on earth are you talking about :confused:

Out of all the L5s that I've seen so far, the whole point of Railgun is that she's the most normal and relatable character to be used as a viewpoint. The whole fighting Touma thing is because Touma has narrative warping powers so that everything is selfishly about him :v:

Mental Out's motivation is she understands that her power forces other human beings to isolate their true selves from her, and so she wants her one friend back..

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

...except she doesn't. What on earth are you talking about :confused:

Out of all the L5s that I've seen so far, the whole point of Railgun is that she's the most normal and relatable character to be used as a viewpoint. The whole fighting Touma thing is because Touma has narrative warping powers so that everything is selfishly about him :v:

Mental Out's motivation is she understands that her power forces other human beings to isolate their true selves from her, and so she wants her one friend back..

Maybe falken means Meltdowner?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Meltdowner looks like an office lady.

I can't remember if Mental Out is in the new OP, but she's going to turn up because she was introduced in episode 1. You don't leave a chekhov's gun hanging like that.

Edit: blah, so many M-nicknames.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 13, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

Meltdowner looks like an office lady.

I can't remember if Meltdowner is in the new OP, but she's going to turn up because she was introduced in episode 1. You don't leave a chekhov's gun hanging like that.

The whole of ITEM is in the new OP.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Chillyrabbit posted:

I would think if she can controls peoples mind and destroy their free will thats kinda messed up. Especially since she can make everyone love her like narcissistic like.
Right, she could do that. But thus far that sort of behavior hasn't been observed.

I think it's implied her posse isn't being controlled either; she argues with them in a few scenes IIRC. She definitely doesn't seem to have any qualms with temporarily Assuming Control with anyone though which again isn't particularly nice of her. But also not psychotic like Accelerator or Meltdowner.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Nate RFB posted:

Right, she could do that. But thus far that sort of behavior hasn't been observed.

I think it's implied her posse isn't being controlled either; she argues with them in a few scenes IIRC. She definitely doesn't seem to have any qualms with temporarily Assuming Control with anyone though which again isn't particularly nice of her. But also not psychotic like Accelerator or Meltdowner.

She freely assumes control, has preplanted suggestions and also edits their memories to her convenience. Essentially they're friends with her because she made it so.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess this is getting into Manga/LN Talk, but which chapters/scenes are you referring to? I'm current with the manga and read most/all of her stuff in New Testament I didn't get that impression at all. I could just be forgetting or glossing over something of course.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

I guess this is getting into Manga/LN Talk, but which chapters/scenes are you referring to? I'm current with the manga and read most/all of her stuff in New Testament I didn't get that impression at all. I could just be forgetting or glossing over something of course.

The recently released 8th Volume (in the US at least) of the Manga makes it pretty hard to think kindly of Mental Out, I can say that much.

I get that things change later on, but goddamn, there's "pushing someone's buttons" and then there's "taking a sledgehammer to all the buttons".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

fivegears4reverse posted:

The recently released 8th Volume (in the US at least) of the Manga makes it pretty hard to think kindly of Mental Out, I can say that much.

I get that things change later on, but goddamn, there's "pushing someone's buttons" and then there's "taking a sledgehammer to all the buttons".
I don't know which specific chapters comprise the 8th volume, but if you're referring to (Manga, duh)her erasing Kuroko and company's memories of Misaka there were explicit reasons for doing so. At the very least this was born out of logic rather than megalomania.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know which specific chapters comprise the 8th volume, but if you're referring to (Manga, duh)her erasing Kuroko and company's memories of Misaka there were explicit reasons for doing so. At the very least this was born out of logic rather than megalomania.

Yeah, but the stuff in your spoiler presented in such a way that we don't really get that impression. (More manga talk) Our first introduction to Mental Out in both the Manga and Railgun S2 is her mindfucking the whole library and informing Mikoto that this is an actual option she'd consider using on her friends. Mikoto's response is basically a death threat. So in volume 8, Mental Out does it to Mikoto's best friends ever, and there's a really shady guy who sets it up as well which only makes it look worse. Without knowledge of later chapters, I'd be convinced that she was deserving a few illusions being shattered.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Nate RFB posted:

Somewhat. The LN has a chapter where Touma works with Mental Out. And the latest manga sections doesn't do much to improve her image either.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK, I guess we are on the same page then. In which case...I guess I just don't agree? To me, Mental Out is a fairly reasonable entity who certainly clashes with other characters (some of which we care about) but does out of logic without going out of her way to genuinely disturb the peace. It seems more like the fact that her power exists at all and that she uses it in any capacity is what makes her "bad". I don't get the impression that she is forcing/manipulating people into her entourage, and I find it hard to get upset at her controlling people when she just resets it all afterwards. It would obviously be a completely different story if she did anything out of malice to innocent people for kicks, which she very well may have done unbeknownst to us and change this whole line of thinking.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Oh she's not bad, but definitely twisted in her own way. Just because she's not a raving lunatic doesn't mean she's a well adjusted human being.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, no argument there. It's just that the original question was which ones were "terrifyingly crazy and/or power hungry", which I don't think fits her. The library episode was more to just get under Misaka's skin because they don't get along.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mental out dislikes the other level 5s likely because they are all immune to her bullshit, Accelerator would unconsciously deflect her mental stuff, Number 2 has his own thing which probably protects him, Mikoto 100% is immune by her own admission and since they share a very similar power base Meltdowner is probably also protected, #6 is an unknown but likely, Sogita is of course far too awesome to be messed with, and the thing is Mental out is paranoid, she desires to be able to look into peoples brains so she can KNOW their motivations.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It also showed she finds no issue with trivially overriding the free will of other students just to make a point. People who have done nothing other than being around her regularly get suggestions implanted so that they can be used as she finds convenient. And she'd get them to do some pretty inappropriate(LN)/risky things on a whim, wiping out their memories later.

Of course, even Misaka would zap Kuroko and Touma on a whim, but she limits the damage to the deserving for the most part. Also I suspect Kuroko resists electricity at this point and Touma is immune.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

veekie posted:

Seems to me that at least part of their problems stem from isolation. Most level 5s just don't really have any friends who'd tell them they're doing something wrong, or refuse to take their bullshit. Whereas Misaka is as stable as she is probably because Kuroko is a persistent crazy lesbian stalker. Someone who trusts her to the extent that she's not worried of being accidentally killed in a fit of annoyance. Misaka has loving parents, whereas looking at the living conditions of most of the Level 5s, they're likely not in any contact with family.

The way they presented it in the show seemed to imply that a huge part of Accelerator's problems stem from being in the level 6 experiment. He seems to be relatively normal in the flashbacks from the start of the whole thing. He left the first clone alive and only killed her accidentally. It felt like he had to kind of tie his brain in knots to justify to himself how he was killing thousands of innocent girls while still knowing deep down he was a monster and all of that kind of making him nuts. As well as the whole thing making him numb to violence and generally devaluing human life. Being isolated would certainly make all that worse, of course, but I don't know if it's the prime cause in his case.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
Was there not an episode aired this week?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Poke posted:

Was there not an episode aired this week?
There was a special on the Index movie that aired instead. Episode 18 airs this week.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
To people who have read ahead: There was some article posted pages back about Railgun S post-Sisters being predominantly fanservice, which I couldn't care much less for. Is there something worth sticking around for now that the Sisters arc is completed?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

To people who have read ahead: There was some article posted pages back about Railgun S post-Sisters being predominantly fanservice, which I couldn't care much less for. Is there something worth sticking around for now that the Sisters arc is completed?

Who knows, There is some stuff between the end of the sisters arc and the start of Daihaisei or whatever the festival is exactly named which will be Railgun season 3 in all likelyhood.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Daihaseisai, and there's really nothing inbetween now and it other than some LN side-stories that are all over the timeline, the obvious which would've been L.A.C. but since we aren't getting that, whatever's upcoming is J.C. Staff originaru content for sure, especially given the new opening animation.

My hope's for L.A.C. + Daihaseisai double feature for the next two-cour run (Railgun SS, or whatever) whenever the manga is far enough along for the second arc to have a conclusion. (It's at a pretty :catstare: junction at the moment.)

Too bad, I was really looking forward to Esper Olympics with special directive to cheat as much as you can.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wolf on Air posted:

Daihaseisai, and there's really nothing inbetween now and it other than some LN side-stories that are all over the timeline, the obvious which would've been L.A.C. but since we aren't getting that, whatever's upcoming is J.C. Staff originaru content for sure, especially given the new opening animation.

My hope's for L.A.C. + Daihaseisai double feature for the next two-cour run (Railgun SS, or whatever) whenever the manga is far enough along for the second arc to have a conclusion. (It's at a pretty :catstare: junction at the moment.)

Too bad, I was really looking forward to Esper Olympics with special directive to cheat as much as you can.

I just want to see Gunha's speech about GUTS animated, and everyone's reaction faces to his speech.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

The manga material that some of us have read is just fine, if not just as good as the Sisters arc. But since it's not finished yet it's not getting animated. So whatever original content we're getting now is anyone's guess as to its quality.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wolf on Air posted:

Do they really do this? Tell me they really do this... I really want to see that animated if they do.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ViggyNash posted:

Do they really do this? Tell me they really do this... I really want to see that animated if they do.

Not only does this really happen, it shows off some REALLY creative trickery on the part of all the participants. It's actually pretty funny, and a good contrast to the stuff that happens later in the arc. I kinda hope they just drag out the esper olympics by adding more crazy events before we get thrust back into plotsville, in a mythical third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

fivegears4reverse posted:

Not only does this really happen, it shows off some REALLY creative trickery on the part of all the participants. It's actually pretty funny, and a good contrast to the stuff that happens later in the arc. I kinda hope they just drag out the esper olympics by adding more crazy events before we get thrust back into plotsville, in a mythical third season.
The best part is when the girl who can command rodents to do their bidding uses them to steal... things, and they're too scared of Mikoto due to her electromagnetic resonance or whatever and she's distraught that they won't go near her.

There really was some awesome stuff in that arc. Shows you Misaki's motives and brings along some new characters. I think there was even a girl who's ability is literally "can talk to cats", so she's destined to become a crazy cat lady.

• Locked thread