Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Tengames posted:

The countdown for the new release is back again.

Ive never tried the actual patcher to see if its any good though.

The patcher was a pain in the rear end to setup, and the translation quality for ddc was really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

CommissarMega posted:

Bah, frozen thrones and games of such are weaksauce. You know what isn't weaksauce? JAEGERS:

I can't believe it took until my fourth time watching Pacific Rim to search for Pacific Rim + Touhous fanart.

I'm surprised I haven't seen an Utsuho Gipsy Danger, (Pacific Rim Spoilers) especially since they both have nuclear chests, a rocket-ish arm, and have their reactors go critical deep in the earth

Then again, it only released in Japan last Friday.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

a cartoon duck posted:

I miss Meiling it's a shame she wasn't even in Hopeless Masquerade.-

Uh huh.

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion here and say ZUN should keep making entirely new characters for new games and that wanting new games to be populated with old characters is hella dumb.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would prefer a 50/50 even split so that he doesn't blow through all the various potential creatures he can turn into little girls in frilly dresses and silly hats so quickly. Maybe a 25old/75new split. It's not a terrible thing to have returning characters, Marisa and Reimu reappearing every game notwithstanding(though not having them at this point is almost like having a Megaman game without Megaman)

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Captain Invictus posted:

I would prefer a 50/50 even split so that he doesn't blow through all the various potential creatures he can turn into little girls in frilly dresses and silly hats so quickly. Maybe a 25old/75new split. It's not a terrible thing to have returning characters, Marisa and Reimu reappearing every game notwithstanding(though not having them at this point is almost like having a Megaman game without Megaman)
Yeah, basically. Developing established characters the fans have an attachment to is a good thing, though I'd agree with the idea that it's not good to be governed 100% by the whims of his fans, but Zun knows what he's doing there. New characters, new incidents, but lets not pull a pc-98 and forget everyone else, like Meiling and SDM :toot:

Imperishable Night remains my favourite touhou precisely because of all the varied team options revisiting touhous of touhous past and the fun dialogue.

Now Move, bitch, get out the way.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 12, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I personally liked Meiling a lot in 12.5. She was unique with her really close-range oriented fighting style, and a lot of fun to play. I wouldn't have minded seeing her again!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I will hold crusades to have Yuugi be in a fighting game, preferably as a slower, harder-hitting Meiling, with stomps (or even better, ground punches) that cause earthquakes, mountain throwing, all that 'unstoppable force' good stuff :allears:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
A fighting game spin-off-spin-off with all the high powered characters going at it together would be great. Start the cast off with the likes of Yuugi, Mokou and Yuka and just go to town.

In other news, apparently a play through for stages 4-6 of Double Dealing was leaked, here. I don't have a Nico' so I couldn't say.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha the sixth stage boss looks like such a sack of poo poo, cripes.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Wow yeah, I was watching that and thinking "this...this can't be the last boss" but then it got to the last few minutes and I had to give up. Not that ZUN's art does any character any favors :v:. Also someone's comment on the side saying OKUUUUUUUUUU got my hopes up before I got to that point, even if briefly. :argh:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The EX stage has also been posted here, if no one's mentioned it in the thread yet.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Apparently the final boss reverses your controls and makes you bigger during the fight? At least, thats what I'm hearing from a few of my friends. Haven't seen the game myself.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
The Stage 5 boss's gimmick is just cruel. :stonk:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh and in case anyone was wondering, the gimmick with the possessed weapons is that they determine which Stage 4 boss you fight. Some people theorize it also changes the final boss' spells, but nothing is proven yet. Speaking of the final boss, she's apparently Issun Bosshi

Also yes, ZUN decided to have a little fun this time and threw in a couple interface screws.

EDIT: Oh hey, fanart is already up on danbooru. Here are the names:

danbooru stuff

Kind of boring after TD's clusterfucks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

No sight of Mima. What a disappointing failure, ZUN. And to think I trusted you...

Edit: Man, the rest of the game's music is as boring as the first half. What a drat shame. Or maybe I just have the worst Touhou opinions.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 12, 2013

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The only failures continue to be the disgusting Mima-likers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Meanwhile us Mimi-Indifferenters will continue thinking both of you are idiots.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You are free to have opinions and I will not spite you for them, unless those opinions put Mima in a positive light.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Devour or Fire posted:

The only failures continue to be the disgusting Mima-likers.

wow
you don't like thing
trophy

What character do you like?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Who cares about Mima, Shinki is where it's at.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Now for the first time ever: Final boss with a soup bowl for a hat.

Touhou, at the cuttingest edge of video game fashion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Her mallet-hand appears to be directly attached to her shoulder.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just noticed, the pattern on Sukuna's kimono looks like the danmaku pattern with the shaky arches and the fireworks. That's cute.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Gah, finding any good quality source of the new stage/boss themes is proving to be fruitless. I'll just wait until somebody uploads them to youtube, I guess.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't say much about the soundtrack right now besides the drum solo in Raiko's theme is really good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Music thoughts (and spoilers for safety):

-Stage theme is very nice, and I can't wait for the arranges that'll result! Puts me in mind of some kind of slow flamenco or faster waltz when the trumpets kick in.

-Raiko's boss theme: Man, I can't wait for the orchestral arrange for this one- seriously, those drums :hawaaaafap: Either that, or something Industrial metal, daaaamn.

By the way, is this really 4-6? Because all I saw were the two Tsukumo sisters and Raiko. Also, I can't wait for the mashups between the Tsukumos and Prisimrivers, Battle of the Bands style :hawaaaafap:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 12, 2013

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Is DDC much easier than the previous games? I'm so bad I can barely unlock the extra stage in past Touhous because normal kicks my rear end if I'm not paying attention. Yet this time around I 1CC-ed normal on my first try.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hey man, Hopeless Masquerade was an exercise in seeing how many background cameos you can stuff into a single game, you can't fault me for missing one of my favorite characters.

Anyway, DDC: Is it just me or is this game even harder than SA and UFO? Seems like ZUN heard criticisms of TD being too easy and went all the way to the other extreme. I'd almost mind if the game wasn't all around pretty great. Also, Reisen can only wish she was as hardcore as Seija.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Does anyone have any idea if there will still be an old-school style manual English patch in the works for DDC? This auto-patcher is a pain and doesn't recognize all my games and sometimes doesn't have any effect and I Don't Trust It :mad:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

CommissarMega posted:

By the way, is this really 4-6?

That's Extra stage, so I guess you clicked on the wrong link?

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

So for anyone else who's played so far, does the bombing somehow feel delayed or off at all? because it's really been messing me up and I'm not sure what the deal is.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Maximum Chenergy posted:

So for anyone else who's played so far, does the bombing somehow feel delayed or off at all? because it's really been messing me up and I'm not sure what the deal is.

I've been pulling off deathbombs with some regularity, so I haven't noticed anything off about the timing.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Oh wow, I got through the left-right input reverse and felt smug about it but then the up-down... :suicide:

Sakuya preserves her most-fun-shots status from PCB. And what the gently caress, Lunatic is bonkers. It's like every other attack is Eternal Meek.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 13, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Mazed posted:

Now for the first time ever: Final boss with a soup bowl for a hat.

Touhou, at the cuttingest edge of video game fashion.

All the drawing effort went into making Inch-High Samurai's outfit patterns crisp.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

All the drawing effort went into making Inch-High Samurai's outfit patterns crisp.

ZUN is pretty good at that. Look at Rin's really elaborate galaxy dress that no fan artist seems to bother re-creating.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Volt Catfish posted:

ZUN is pretty good at that. Look at Rin's really elaborate galaxy dress that no fan artist seems to bother re-creating.

Basically every game has someone with a crazy complex dress, it's one of ZUN's things.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HMS Boromir posted:

That's Extra stage, so I guess you clicked on the wrong link?

That would seem so; I got my link from GameroftheGame, but apparently it was only the Extra Stage when the uploader mentioned Stages 4-6. Anyone know how to find the rest? I'd really like a listen.

EDIT: I think I found them. Stages 4-5 playthrough here. Stage 4 music isn't anything to shout home about, but the Tsukumo sisters' theme is magnificent. Definitely looking forward to a mashup now.

Stage 5 music theme is amazing, and the wait for a slower-paced, classical music version is going to be torturous, it's that good. Seija's boss theme is also just sitting around waiting for the right fast jazz or ska arrange to come along and bring it home.

Stage 6 playthrough is here, and the music kind of puts me in the mood for something orchestral, but that's just my personal taste. It's also got vibes of the Neverending Story theme- is that just me? In any case, some 80's style pop would suit it just fine. Shinmyoumaru's boss theme has some very nice callbacks to the stage theme, and I DEFINITELY want some soaring orchestras on this, especially something with plenty of trumpets and violins- Morrigan or Tutti Sound, accept no substitutes. Her gimmick is right up there with Stage 5's in how hilariously cruel it is.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 13, 2013

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like how almost everybody who is drawing Seija on Pixiv is trying their hardest to avoid the front of her dress.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Volt Catfish posted:

Rin's got the bullet-pattern dress. Galaxy dress is Utsuho, and artists love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
It's actually kind of scary how quickly remixes popped up on Youtube.