Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Have they announced if the Greek States pack will be for sale at launch? Or will there be a "pre-order customers only" exclusivity period for a while?

I don't think my next paycheck will cover a preorder but I got a promotion at work and the one after that should let me get the game then, and I desperately want to play as Sparta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

peer posted:

I think you're talking about Time Commanders, with the totally insane Dr. Aryeh Nusbacher.

edit: beaten. It was a pretty bad show and I think they also made an even worse one with that one guy from Band of Brothers

:frogout:
That was the greatest show ever. I especially lke where teams would accidentally pull a victory like at the Battle of Cynoscephalae. I would love if they relaunched that series with the new engine.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does anybody know if they announced anything about bringing rome 2 to Gamescom? Sega has a stand but I can't find any details as to which devs are bringing their stuff.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Time Commanders was what got me into Total War in the first place.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.

Baron Bifford posted:

Time Commanders was what got me into Total War in the first place.

It's only taken 10 years but now we get that cool overhead battle map with all the counters.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Crowsbeak posted:

:frogout:
That was the greatest show ever. I especially lke where teams would accidentally pull a victory like at the Battle of Cynoscephalae. I would love if they relaunched that series with the new engine.

Oh don't get me wrong, I watched the hell out of it at the time. It was entertaining, but I still wouldn't call it 'good'.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

It's only taken 10 years but now we get that cool overhead battle map with all the counters.

We need a blu tooth wooden spatula thing to move troops about.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

concerned mom posted:

We need a blu tooth wooden spatula thing to move troops about.

I might actually pay money if they shipped in a separate battle table where you use one of those pushy-sticks to give units orders in the game.*

* No I wouldn't, that would be crazy expensive.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

There was a button in Rome and/or Med2 that made your minimap huge and cover 80% of the screen. Useless for everything but checking archer range.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

I might actually pay money if they shipped in a separate battle table where you use one of those pushy-sticks to give units orders in the game.*

* No I wouldn't, that would be crazy expensive.

If Saints Row 4 can have a $1,000,000 version, SEGA can spring for this :colbert:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
:siren:Rome 2 thread is up here!:siren:

Let the hype train begin!

DogGunn
Feb 2, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

The WW1 Total Conversion mod for Napoleon Total War actually got the first beta release with the campaign.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (in TGW mod), but apparently all I need is good place sharpshooters in good positions, and then they just screw up any enemy. I'm a little confused by it. Back to Napoleon I go.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Personally, I'm waiting for a few more months before trying it out. It still has a way to go by the sounds of it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If everything ends in a bloodbath for the attacker then isn't it pretty much working as intended?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If your battle hasn't devastated the male population of at least 12-14 rural European villages then it isn't the 1st World War.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The Great War is the perfect mod if you are the kind of player who puts all their forces in the corner, on a mountain, and the posts on TWcenter that the AI is trash after you shoot them coming up the sheer cliff for 20 minutes. Also anyone who uploads youtube videos of bridge battles where the enemy is funneled into your phalanx will enjoy it.

So I'm really not surprised it is the most popular/active Napoleon mod.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 13, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If everything ends in a bloodbath for the attacker then isn't it pretty much working as intended?

I'd say so. Attacking was always meant to be harder because the defenders are, well, dug in.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Great War mod is fun for like, 2 battles before you realize it's very pointless and you should stop playing it. It's an accurate and faithful simulation of the the First World War.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
CA released this overhead view of the campaign map to advertise the Turkish translation of the game

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 13, 2013

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Shogun 2 is doing the same thing as SC2 did for me. I can't limit the fps (even with vertical sync) on the menu or campaign map. This leads to my card going to dangerously high temps. The battles are fine, but just idling on the menu or map maxes out my card.

Anyone had the same issue and solved it? Googled a lot but can't find anything.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So I did my first Kyoto siege in Shogun 2 last night. The battle report at the end showed that I attacked with 10,000 units against ~2,000 defenders. About half of those units on defense were unfortunate reinforcements who got caught out in the field and slaughtered before they could reach the safety of the citadel. What an impressive engine, to be able to render all those little mans stabbing each other to death, fire effects, smoke from cannons and muskets drifting through the wind, and terrain. PC gaming is the best! :pcgaming: :allears:

I've got three more provinces to go until I hit my 60 provinces and roll the fireworks cinematic.
Playing as the Otomo, the Ikko Ikki are ungrateful little turds. I liberated their province as a vassal, and within 2 turns they had declared war on me because of their deep-seated religious differences. I'm not going to make that mistake twice. Next time, I'll just let Oda loot you.
Having played with the staple of my navy being Nanban trade ships, I don't know if I can ever go back to traditional navies. They have ruined me.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I know all the focus has shifted over to the Rome 2 thread, but I got a question regarding Empire. Can mods designed for NTW translate over to Empire? I'm looking at an upkeep lowering mod, but the guy has it listed under NTW's mod section, and I can't find anything comparable under Empire's modding stuff.

Also, I like to use The Rights of Man with Empire mostly. Would another mod like a lower upkeep one be able to be used at the same time? Any help would be appreciated.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nope, you can't really use mods from Napoleon to Empire as both games the engines are extremely different versions of each other.

Really the same reason why Napoleon was its own thing instead of being expansion DLC for Empire.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 17, 2013

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I'm having trouble as the Otomo, understanding how I can get my matchlocks. Only one province has allowed me to build a Nanban port. I've been through the encyclopedia, and I don't see anything saying I'm limited to one, but it sure seems like it, as the only requirement listed is a Trading port.

Other than that, I'm getting along ok, though it's a little tricky dealing with the religious strife, and working out the building slots when I want markets and churches and ninja and units....

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Haven't played the Otomo but it looks like you still have to research the gunpowder techs in the Bushido tree before you can recruit your indigenous matchlock Ashigaru (and later Matchlock Samurai with Gunpowder Mastery). In all my games there can only be a single Nanban port so yes, you are limited to one usually. The Otomo evidently recruit the imported matchlock Ashigaru really fast (single turn?), but I've never found them to be that great.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Yeah IIRC that's right, Otomo don't really get matchlock ashi any earlier, they're just a bit better than most others. In my Otomo game I had basically won by the time I got to matchlock samurai unfortunately. Even the matchlock ashigaru are really, really great if you're defending a siege though. I think Otomo's clan advantage is generally pretty poor, but it's made up for by the great start location.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

trashcangammy posted:

Yeah IIRC that's right, Otomo don't really get matchlock ashi any earlier, they're just a bit better than most others. In my Otomo game I had basically won by the time I got to matchlock samurai unfortunately. Even the matchlock ashigaru are really, really great if you're defending a siege though. I think Otomo's clan advantage is generally pretty poor, but it's made up for by the great start location.

Your post doesn't mention Portuguese Tercos, which are utterly fantastic.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Krazyface posted:

Your post doesn't mention Portuguese Tercos, which are utterly fantastic.

Oh yeah, I'm afraid I didn't get the opportunity/need to use those very often, it was a pretty straightforward campaign. They're pretty god mode, kind of the sengoku jidai campaign version of the rots foot samurai. They're pretty good for siege offense from what I played, which I suppose adds up to Otomo having a decent advantage on either side of sieges (kind of a big deal since those are at least half your battles).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

One annoying thing is that every other clan (except the Ikko maybe?) can train basic matchlock ashigaru from any castle while the Otomo have to build a second-level gunsmith first.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Rome has the history a bit wonky for dramatic purposes but it's definitely the most accurate depiction of Roman life/culture ever on a screen.

Absolutely, there was quite a lot of poetic license going on, but I'm the sort of dork that gets excited over the costumes, sets, etc. in historical dramas. :v:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

BurningStone posted:

Only one province has allowed me to build a Nanban port. I've been through the encyclopedia, and I don't see anything saying I'm limited to one, but it sure seems like it, as the only requirement listed is a Trading port.

What you're building is the next level of the Nanban port, you already have the first one which is why you can't build it anywhere else. Demolish the port in your home province if you want to move it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
And it's a very good idea to move it, too, once you take the craftworks in Buzen and are ready to consolidate for a bit. Gold accuracy bonus in tandem with any gunpowder unit is completely ridiculous.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So I bought all of the games when they had one of the huge sales, is Empire worth playing? I've mostly hosed around in Shogun 2 and Rome 1, I just wanna know how bad it is gonna hurt me to play Empire: Total war.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Empire has advanced to the point where it is no longer painful to play, per se, but there's no reason to do so while you could be playing Napoleon.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's worth playing, but it's pretty rough, and it leans towards line infantry mono-armies and I found the sieges to be the worst in the franchise. If you could handle Rome you can probably handle the weird jank that cropped up when they went to muskets. Still, there's no total war game that covers as much as it does. Napoleon is a much more playable and enjoyable take on the same era but it doesn't quite capture the breadth of Empire

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Rogue0071 posted:

Empire has advanced to the point where it is no longer painful to play, per se, but there's no reason to do so while you could be playing Napoleon.

Landing Maratha Confederacy Republic troops in London isn't worth it?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, so did CA ever fix the siege AI stuff? Last time I tried playing Empire, moving units along walls and such was ridiculously broken.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The siege battles alone are a good reason never to play Empire.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Minarchist posted:

Landing Maratha Confederacy Republic troops in London isn't worth it?

I can be India? and I can crush the brits? :getin: this seems like a very good reason to play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Siege battles are a low point but honestly I think its overblown and I've had a blast with the game. One of my favorites.
Edit: Its also much better with Darth Mod.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 18, 2013