Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

evil_bunnY posted:

Haha everybody does the same thing, and nobody ever wants to be first to mention descending before the top.

Well, there was also some stuff about rotten rock in there, so I'm wondering what route they attempted before they settled on the scramble. I'd have likely made the same call. The good news about Worthington is that one part of it you can kind of just walk right down into the basin ... that is probably tens of miles from where you want to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

All of us in the group I regularly hike with carry at least mylar blankets and a windbreaker, if not an actual thermal layer. In addition we each usually carry a couple extra clif bars. Also all but one of us has had wilderness navigation courses and some other stuff. At night in the Olympics it's still probably getting down to the low to mid forties in most places, and in some places it's probably getting pretty close to freezing.

None of us want to stay out if it isn't planned, but we're always prepared to. I don't have an ultralighting obsession, so a little extra doesn't bother me. :can:

edit:

The reason they were debating staying overnight was that they were quite a ways off trail up a large pile of basalt named Mt. Worthington which normally isn't a bad scramble, but coming down it at night would not be the optimal descent. There are some nooks and crannies you could shelter in up there at night, if necessary. If you're particularly lucky you might be able to get a phone call out from the summit. The story I got last night about what led them to being out after dark was that they made "some decisions" that cost them time, but were still committed to the summit.

Oh my god I can see why they were in that predicament also I want to go to there! :awesome:

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
After seeing some posts praising it and doing some research into it, I've decided that as a 21st birthday present to myself I would like to do a trip in Zion National Park, specifically doing the Trans-Zion Trek (unless anyone has better recommendations, I'm hoping to spend 7-8 days on this trip). It would be me and 1 or 2 of my friends, around late January/early February. Apart from the general logistics of arranging transportation and permits and campsites, could anybody give me an overview on what to expect? It would be my first time doing any backpacking/camping outside of the great lakes area, so I have little to no idea what to expect for water/weather/bugs and the like.

Also, my primary shelter is usually a hammock, so a recommendation for a suitable replacement for that would be nice, as I'd expect that I might occasionally have trouble finding good places to set up a hammock.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Look into tarptents (or similarly designed tents by other companies). They use your hiking poles to prop them up, so you don't have to carry dedicated tent poles.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

Also, my primary shelter is usually a hammock, so a recommendation for a suitable replacement for that would be nice, as I'd expect that I might occasionally have trouble finding good places to set up a hammock.

Tarptent is how I went for the backup for my hammock so I second the recommendation.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

After seeing some posts praising it and doing some research into it, I've decided that as a 21st birthday present to myself I would like to do a trip in Zion National Park, specifically doing the Trans-Zion Trek (unless anyone has better recommendations, I'm hoping to spend 7-8 days on this trip). It would be me and 1 or 2 of my friends, around late January/early February. Apart from the general logistics of arranging transportation and permits and campsites, could anybody give me an overview on what to expect? It would be my first time doing any backpacking/camping outside of the great lakes area, so I have little to no idea what to expect for water/weather/bugs and the like.

Go here, it's the best site for any national park I've seen:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/transziontrek.cfm

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mastershakeman posted:

Go here, it's the best site for any national park I've seen:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/transziontrek.cfm

truth

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got this posted on my Facebook page, even though I'm nowhere near that area. Maybe someone here is and could lend a helping hand.

https://www.facebook.com/findmattgreene

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

omgmofohomolol posted:

chiller miniature dachshund

Now I need to take my wiener dog hiking

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Climbed Rising Wolf, then Flinsch Peak yesterday. Great day, it was foggy the whole way up, you couldn't see more than 20ft around and with no trail+class 3 and 4 scrambling, it becomes very exciting very quickly. It was pretty much straight up, I gained 5,000ft elevation over only a mile. Here's a shot from the summit of Rising Wolf:

Then, maybe five minutes after I took that shot I began the descent towards Flinsch and almost ran headlong into this big bastard. Thought he was a rock, then the rock started to move...

When a grizzly starts clicking its teeth and bobs its head up and down, you know it's agitated and is about to charge. Thankfully, this bear did neither and was too busy finding ladybugs/moths under the rocks at the summit than to be interested in me. I imagine the energy expenditure required to chase me down/rip me apart wasn't worth it, but he could have, and the predator/prey relationship becomes very clear when you're 20 yards from the beast. I had my bear spray safety off before I took the shot, for all the good it could have done.

The rest of the day was unevenful, couldn't see poo poo from the top of Flinsch either, very foggy day overall, but those days are good as well. 6,000ft total elevation gain, 13 miles or so.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Smoove J posted:

I gained 5,000ft elevation over only a mile. Here's a shot from the summit of Rising Wolf:

Then, maybe five minutes after I took that shot I began the descent towards Flinsch and almost ran headlong into this big bastard. Thought he was a rock, then the rock started to move...

Holy poo poo! What a challenge and thrill! I wish it had been clear, I looked up this hike on summitpost and it's way more amazing than your photo suggests!

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Amazed I never saw this thread before. Just completed a ~47 mile loop around the Three Sisters Mountains down near Bend, Or. 100% badass, we did it counter clockwise. I regret pushing our pace and doing in 3 days though.

Photos!
http://walkaboot.org/pics/index.php?/category/20

Around 240miles hiked this year now..

Aliass
Dec 25, 2008
Hey, USA goons. Does anyone know where in la i would be able to buy coleman cv270 or cv470 gas cannisters to suit my stove. Or will i have to buy a new one?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Aliass posted:

Hey, USA goons. Does anyone know where in la i would be able to buy coleman cv270 or cv470 gas cannisters to suit my stove. Or will i have to buy a new one?

Should be easy to buy them at almost any sporting goods store. Big 5, Sport Chalet, REI, Sports Authority, etc.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

:aaa:

I am jealous and sort of scared at the same time. Looks like an awesome trip!

So, I was supposed to backpack Four Pass Loop this weekend (that's 28mi ... as an overnighter). My iliopsoas injury flared up though and we ended up staying at Snowmass Lake and hiking back out. As it was, it took half a hydrocodone to get my butt back up over Buckskin Pass.

Some choice photos:

Untitled by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr

Whistlepigs :3:

ALSO! My Lowas decided to chew up part of my leg and I have a huge contusion where the tongue of my boot was evidently pressed hard into my shin. This has never happened before with these boots, and I'm hugely disappointed.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Awesome pics, I need to get a real camera. I love those mountains, Long's Peak was my first 14er but I spent most of my time in CO in the San Juan Range area.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Sale going on at http://www.backcountry.com/, perhaps time to get that helmet and those boots and a million other things.

& it seems the time is right for crampons, pointedly the Vasak as opposed to the G12. I can't wait for winter!

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 12, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
In general, is Arc'Teryx worth the premium?

I have a Beta AR and it's awesome, but what about other things, like their fleece or down jackets?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a Beta AR and it's awesome, but what about other things, like their fleece or down jackets?

I think when it comes to fleece and down there are probably alternatives that are just as good for less $$$.. patagonia is my go-to for fleece and down and they're a little less than Arc'Teryx but with a similarly amazing product guarantee.

If the fit/style is worth the difference to you though then why not just go for it if you can afford it, you'll be getting a great product w/ an incredible guarantee. A friend just had a seam on one of his Arc'Teryx shells start leaking and he sent it to them and they gave him a brand new like $500 jacket.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Between the gore and Arc'teryx customer service you'd be hard pressed not to be taken care of. Read the spec on their websites before you order online though, different pieces have very different fits.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

How's the Beta AR? I've been trying to decide on a shell and I think I'm choosing between the Alpha SV and the Beta AR now. I'll be using the shell for general hiking, backpacking, rain/storms and I also climb outside occasionally.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Arc'teryx down is new for this coming Fall, it's probably going to be excellent, but we don't know yet. Their Coreloft synthetic is great stuff.

Edit: I am literally posting this with boxes of new Arc'teryx Fall/winter stuff on the other side of the room. But it hasn't been received into inventory, so I can't start fondling the new down jackets yet.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 12, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chroisman posted:

How's the Beta AR? I've been trying to decide on a shell and I think I'm choosing between the Alpha SV and the Beta AR now. I'll be using the shell for general hiking, backpacking, rain/storms and I also climb outside occasionally.
I use a Beta AR as a do-everything (what really amounts to hiking, biking and skiing) jacket and it's never let me down, but it and the SV are very different animals.

If you do any kind of rigged climbing, you'll probably want something longer than a beta, and with a padded hem or a 2-way zip with a button at the bottom.

Speleothing posted:

Arc'teryx down is new for this coming Fall, it's probably going to be excellent, but we don't know yet. Their Coreloft synthetic is great stuff.
It'll probably be great, but they have plenty of proven options in the mean time.

Speleothing posted:

Edit: I am literally posting this with boxes of new Arc'teryx Fall/winter stuff on the other side of the room. But it hasn't been received into inventory, so I can't start fondling the new down jackets yet.
F.U.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 13, 2013

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Please let us know when you'll take the boxes of AR outside, 'accidentally' forget something and run back inside, then discover the boxes are missing.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Smoove J posted:

Awesome pics, I need to get a real camera. I love those mountains, Long's Peak was my first 14er but I spent most of my time in CO in the San Juan Range area.

Those are all iPhone pics. :) I'm a Durango baby myself - well, grew up there anyways. I live out in the Springs now but will forever consider the Western Slope my home. I'm hoping to hit a lot of San Juans next year. When did you do Longs? I am thinking of doing it as a late fall climb, depending on the weather.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Save me jeebus posted:

Those are all iPhone pics. :) I'm a Durango baby myself - well, grew up there anyways. I live out in the Springs now but will forever consider the Western Slope my home. I'm hoping to hit a lot of San Juans next year. When did you do Longs? I am thinking of doing it as a late fall climb, depending on the weather.

If I go back to CO it'll probably be to Telluride or Durango, I like those towns. I did the climb almost exactly two years ago, August 13, 2011. What route would you take?

I thought that was the Diamond, but it's not the Diamond, so I just did the basic Keyhole Route instead. http://www.summitpost.org/the-keyhole/158688

Took me about 9 hours up-and-back, started way too late (7am) but was lucky with no afternoon clouds. Perfect day, really. No high altitude weirdness on my part, though my climbing partner coming from sea-level had to turn around at the boulder field. I almost lost heart at the Trough, but drat, it was worth it at the top.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
This is my kinda hike in the San Juans: http://www.summitpost.org/jagged-mountain/154515

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Nice man. I generally prefer Class 3+, myself. The Weminuche is incredible. I haven't been in about 20 years - long before I started actually being interested in this sort of thing. I hope to backpack that way next year, if I don't end up spending my vacation time making a Rainier attempt.

If you head up to Telluride, it's not exactly a hike, but the via ferrata there is pretty fun (http://www.summitpost.org/telluride-s-krogerata/750815). It's one of the only via ferrata routes in the US.

Highly recommend the SW ridge of Sneffles (near Ouray) if you haven't already done it. It's short but sweet. I still have to do a grudge hike of the NE ridge of Lone Cone (http://www.summitpost.org/lone-cone/151801). I got weathered off last year - a constant hazard in the San Juans. Also want to do Engineer Mountain (http://www.summitpost.org/engineer-mountain/150328) just because it's so distinctive. Growing up in that area, it's sort of a landmark. I might do that over Labor Day with the via ferrata thrown in.

Longs - I'm not accomplished enough to try the Diamond yet. I'm doing my first multi-pitch trad climb tomorrow (following; not leading) so I am still a long ways off. I'd probably just do the Keyhole route as an overnighter. I would like to try the Cable Route, though.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
The via ferrata looks like amazing fun! Have a good one tomorrow, trad is excellent, take more pics

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
drat, now I want to move to Colorado. Those mountains look like badass climbs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A Kpro posted:

drat, now I want to move to Colorado. Those mountains look like badass climbs.

Backpacking and by proxy, this thread, have me and my fiancée seriously considering moving to Colorado next year.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Sneffles is an awesome climb with one of the best views I've ever experienced.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just got home from RMNP which was awesome and a totally different environment from the last time I went (May 2012) since there was no snow. After arriving at the backcountry office, we were informed that something like 98% of the backcountry permits were already issued for the weekend but while standing there, 10:30am rolled around and suddenly the uncollected permits started to present themselves. We ended up with a few nights in the Wild Basin area again except we were going to Thunder Lake instead.

Day 1 - Thursday
We set out around 2pm for Pine Ridge which was a short hike from the trail, and it started pouring while we were still at the car. We arrived to set up camp in the rain which essentially just sucked. The good thing is that 2 guys could hold the rain fly of the tent while the other guy set it up under some protection. We had all been up since 3am to catch our flights so we all sort of crashed until it was time for dinner in which we crashed again.

Day 2 - Friday
We woke up to sun and dried all of our gear, ate breakfast and headed back onto the trial for the 5 something mile hike to Thunder Lake where we would be staying for 2 nights. The hike wasn't bad but we were all still huffing and puffing pretty bad from the altitude and then just as we rounded the corner of the trail to our site ... it started raining. Once again we were setting up camp in the rain. We were pretty exhausted from the hike so we made dinner somewhat early between the rain and then hung out in the bigger of the two tents before calling it a night.

Day 3- Saturday
Woke up early with plans to hit Boulder-Grand Pass. We left to perfect cool and sunny conditions. We hit Lake of Many Winds and saw the route which was intimidating for a bunch of midwestern kids.

We sat there for a while checking out the weather and fueling up before scrambling up to the pass.

Lots of hand holds and loose rock later, we finally made it. 12,000 + feet and we could see both sides of the park. Everyone had a smile on their faces and we just hung out up there looking around for a while. Clouds started rolling in and we got pelted by hail which was our indication to start heading back. The sun poked out and followed us off the pass.

We got back to the site about 6 hours after leaving, everyone was super exhausted and we cooked right away to replace the calories we lost. We made mashed potatoes, stuffing and quesadillas. It was the best meal I've ever had on the trail. Also, hammocks are worth the pound they add to your pack and more. Being able to relax in camp outside my tent was priceless. While talking before camp, we all started talking about what we were looking forward to most, and the agreed reply was Sonic coney dogs and Cherry Lime Aids. We all passed out before the sun even went down, I woke up around 8:30 to take a leak and there was a white tail deer walking through our camp just to check things out.

Day 4 - Sunday
We woke up around 7am to hike out and with Sonic on our minds, we made the ~ 6 mile hike from thunder lake to the trail head in just under 3 hours. I felt like I was running at times. We reached the car just as the thunder and rain rolled in. And the Sonic was incredible.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm jealous of all you southerners who can claim mountains that high and so easily because of your climate. All the peaks over 11,000' up here are glaciated craggy horns of death. Highest I've been was somewhere around 9,600'. Don't know for sure because we went off route and hit an impassable vertical wall on a knife-edge ridge not far from the summit at 10,200'. Thanks, vertically tilted strata! :mad:

Actually, a lot of that trip sucked. Scrambled up some of the worst shale I've ever experienced. You could pick up whole plates the size of your torso and break them in half with your hands. Stained them red too. Not that it wasn't a nice place, it was very beautiful.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

I use a Beta AR as a do-everything (what really amounts to hiking, biking and skiing) jacket and it's never let me down, but it and the SV are very different animals.

So for my purposes (hiking/backpacking, rain/storms, occasional outdoor climbing) would the SV be too overkill? Especially considering that it tends to be $200+ more than the Beta AR. Also, on another note, does anyone know where I would be able to get either the Alpha SV or Beta AR 2013 models in Sydney, Aus? Or anywhere else I can get them shipped for not too much. I think places like REI have a shipping restriction on Arc'teryx (and other brands e.g. Black Diamond) so I can't order from them.

Edit: I've been looking online for Sydney stores that would have them, but I can't seem to find either with Large size in stock, and also I'm looking for one of their bright red colours (I think they're called Cognac or Cardinal or something) for visibility.

Chroisman fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 13, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chroisman posted:

So for my purposes (hiking/backpacking, rain/storms, occasional outdoor climbing) would the SV be too overkill? Especially considering that it tends to be $200+ more than the Beta AR.
I'd say it depends on the amount of climbing, and whether you want something that covers to your belt or to your thighs.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What are some good brands of duct tape?

I ask cause I've somehow ended up with some really bad ones (not sticky, too sticky, too gummy) in my time and never bothered to pay attention to which ones I liked.

I ask here because I already read this thread and backpacking is one of my primary use scenarios for duct tape.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm jealous of all you southerners who can claim mountains that high and so easily because of your climate. All the peaks over 11,000' up here are glaciated craggy horns of death. Highest I've been was somewhere around 9,600'. Don't know for sure because we went off route and hit an impassable vertical wall on a knife-edge ridge not far from the summit at 10,200'. Thanks, vertically tilted strata! :mad:

Your climbs sound really awesome and I am continually jealous of your photos. :)

alnilam posted:

Gorilla Tape 4 lyfe

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

alnilam posted:

I ask cause I've somehow ended up with some really bad ones (not sticky, too sticky, too gummy) in my time and never bothered to pay attention to which ones I liked.

I ask here because I already read this thread and backpacking is one of my primary use scenarios for duct tape.

You are probably looking for something like gaffer tape http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Verman posted:

I just got home from RMNP which was awesome and a totally different environment from the last time I went (May 2012) since there was no snow. After arriving at the backcountry office, we were informed that something like 98% of the backcountry permits were already issued for the weekend but while standing there, 10:30am rolled around and suddenly the uncollected permits started to present themselves. We ended up with a few nights in the Wild Basin area again except we were going to Thunder Lake instead.

Nice post. I'm doing something similar next weekend - hiking up to Thunder Lake and overnighting there, then hiking up and over into Grand Lake. The most challenging part of that will be car logistics: I have to get myself there Sat AM (parking at Wild Basin TH), my wife will drive to Grand Lake the next day to pick me up, go back up and over to retrieve my car. The hike up and fishing will be much more enjoyable.