Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Here's a quick read on Andre and the Hulkster (hulk was just starting out).

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/andre-the-giant-proving-size-matters/

Apparently he was a world class boozer on top of all the other awesome things he did. (not irony, not my liver).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
I want to see "Traces of the Trade." I've heard great things about it. Is it on Netflix?

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Saw We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks yesterday.

Because of all the media hype surrounding the man, I was expecting some kind of Julian Assange praising/denigrating circle jerk, but thankfully got an insightful and almost unbiased documentary instead (although I don't entirely understand the connection they make between WikiLeaks and the Arab Spring revolts, which the narrator mentions briefly in a matter of fact tone). I just wish it was more focused on Bradley Manning than Assange himself.

Also, a big thank you to the people that recommended the Dan Carlin podcasts, awesome stuff!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

(although I don't entirely understand the connection they make between WikiLeaks and the Arab Spring revolts, which the narrator mentions briefly in a matter of fact tone).

Probably referring to all the state department stuff criticising various Arab dictators in the Manning leak, which I'm sure made interesting reading in the Arab world and may have helped convince many people to rebel.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

Kind of in the line of The Imposter and Kumare is The Woman Who Wasn't There, about a woman that claimed to have been a 9/11 attack survivor that was on one of the higher floors, carried to safety by the Man with the Red Bandana. Saying much more gives away the "plot twists", but it's a good watch for a rainy day, at the least.

I hate to dig up a two month old post, but I just watched this doc last night, and to claim that there are any "plot twists" is laughable. It's called "The Woman That Wasn't There." It's akin to if The Sixth Sense were called Bruce Willis is a Ghost.

On the flip side, I also watched Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure, and it was pretty amazing. I'm a fan of such things as Longmont Potion Castle and Terrorizing Telemarketers, and this was right in my wheelhouse.
It is the story of two 20-somethings in a poo poo apartment during the late 80's. Their neighbors just happen to be a drunken, abusive couple that pierce their paper-thin walls with insults such as "Shut up little man". They decide to record the loudness that has infiltrated their apartment, and soon it turns into a battle over copyright infringement, movie rights, and morality. Personally, it gets slow in the middle, but turns around towards the end.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
On the heels of that Andre the Giant documentary recommendation, there are a couple non-WWE docs that are real good even if you aren't necessarily a hardcore wrestling fan.

The first one is called [url=http://www.memphis-heat.com/Memphis Heat[/url] which is about wrestling in the Memphis territory from the 1950s and up to 1980s, talking about how crazy everything because the fans thought it was all real and reacted accordingly. Memphis is where Jerry Lawler and Andy Kaufman did their thing too, since Kaufman had to go somewhere they would hate him for being a big shot actor calling them rednecks.
The basic format is basically just a lot of talking heads, telling stories about how things were done back then. There tends to be quite a lot of namedropping but they're always followed by pictures/video of them and explanations of what they did.

Memphis Heat is available on DVD through their website and also on itunes.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CDVYT-RWI

The other is called Heroes of World Class is first and foremost the tragic story of the Von Erich family which I will recommend you read up on, on wikipedia. Secondly it is about World Class Championship Wrestling which Fritz Von Erich ran in Dallas, Texas and how it all came apart. Fritz had five sons that went into the world of wrestling, of them four are dead. Three committed suicide.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKYs3Z7aW2c

Special Kei
May 13, 2009

Fellblade posted:

I know I've seen a documentary that went to Istanbul at some point and talked about how loads of ruins are sitting around in back alleys full of drug addicts, more along that line would also be appreciated.

Byzantium: The Lost Empire

The ancient, legendary empire of Byzantium - also known as the Eastern Roman Empire - outlasted the demise of Rome by a thousand years. A new order rose to become the last classical civilization of world history, sheltering the vestiges of Western learning during the Dark Ages, thriving off the silk and spice trade from the East, and eventually succumbing to the ruthless advance of crusaders and Ottomans. Pass through the gates of Constantinople, the eye of the world, where East still meets West. Explore the magnificent mosque of Hagia Sophia. Visit the treasury of St. Mark's in Venice and see antiquities never before filmed for television. Historian John Romer leads a fascinating journey back in time to discover the wondrous treasures of a fallen, haunted and forgotten realm.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344994/
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyMUJfN4j8yKUyy6tJKpXpbJnmQmbNUvk

Edit: I removed a link to DocuWiki that I found through google. It has a massive listing and information on probably all and only documentaries, but it has links to files so I removed it.

Special Kei fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 20, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Short documentary about Heinz Reinefarth, a Nazi responsible for the deaths of thousands of Polish Jews. He was never punished for war crimes and later became mayor of a town in West Germany.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyrE9-5rWEg

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

US ONLY
Gimme Shelter is free on hulu until Sunday.

What started as a Rolling Stones tour film became a documentary about the disastrous free concert where a man was fatally stabbed.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've been getting into watching conspiracy stuff lately and was wondering if there were any good documentaries on the Montauk Project? Otherwise anything conspiracy/ufo/reptillian etc etc related that's not done in a cheesy manner would be appreciated. I'm not expecting to be convinced, I just want them to try a bit.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Special Kei posted:

The CNN series Cold War is the best series on the Cold War.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4FF5F03E7FE6342C

I just passed out watching this last night. It was awesome. This doesn't mean it was boring - I have to listen to something calming but still interesting in order to fall asleep these days. I guess I find the Cold War soothing!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
One of the deadliest and costliest race riots in American history happened in Tulsa in 1921. The documentary Before they Die! interviews the survivors, and tells the story of white-on-black violence in the days when the Klan controled much of Oklahoma politics. This has been on DVD for a while but hard to find, and I finally noticed it's on YouTube.

Part of the documentary makes the case for reparations, but there is a good deal of almost-forgotten American history here too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
When the movie Rosewood came out, people really didn't believe it was based on a true story, but that actually happened, a whole community was wiped out because whites didn't like living next to a community of prosperous blacks. Worse is that it wasn't an isolated incident.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Special Kei posted:

Byzantium: The Lost Empire

The ancient, legendary empire of Byzantium - also known as the Eastern Roman Empire - outlasted the demise of Rome by a thousand years. A new order rose to become the last classical civilization of world history, sheltering the vestiges of Western learning during the Dark Ages, thriving off the silk and spice trade from the East, and eventually succumbing to the ruthless advance of crusaders and Ottomans. Pass through the gates of Constantinople, the eye of the world, where East still meets West. Explore the magnificent mosque of Hagia Sophia. Visit the treasury of St. Mark's in Venice and see antiquities never before filmed for television. Historian John Romer leads a fascinating journey back in time to discover the wondrous treasures of a fallen, haunted and forgotten realm.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344994/
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyMUJfN4j8yKUyy6tJKpXpbJnmQmbNUvk

Edit: I removed a link to DocuWiki that I found through google. It has a massive listing and information on probably all and only documentaries, but it has links to files so I removed it.

Haven't got around to watching this yet but wanted to say thanks and it's on my schedule .

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

This is a cool documentary about a guy trying to track down the people who scammed him http://documentary.net/victim-traced-scammers-paid-them-a-visit-in-thailand/

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Werner Herzog is back to bum you out with a doc about texting and driving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqFkRwdFZ0

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I watched Tabloid and would definitely recommend it as a good documentary. I'm curious though, where did Joyce McKinney get all her money, especially later in life when she cloned her dog (to the tune of $150k+)?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This is a cool documentary about a guy trying to track down the people who scammed him http://documentary.net/victim-traced-scammers-paid-them-a-visit-in-thailand/

I understand his frustration, but he comes off as a very dislikeable and reckless character. I wonder how much additional money he wasted on his wild goose chase.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

Werner Herzog is back to bum you out with a doc about texting and driving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqFkRwdFZ0

Everyone who drives should watch this.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

AKMoose posted:

Everyone who drives should watch this.

I had to stop watching after the third story, too much :smith: in this documentary.

That got me thinking, isn't texting while driving illegal yet in the U.S.? Where I live, you can't hold a cell phone in your hands while driving, being it for talking or texting. Lots of cheaters, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some time ago I watched a PSA from AT&T about the dangers of texting and driving with the usual sob stories of prom queens and team captains cut down in their prime by a highway median because they were messaging their friends. It was depressing, of course, but they also showed their last messages before they died, which made it...kind of darkly funny? I'm probably a bad person for laughing a little at people whose lasts texts before rolling off a hill were "lol" and "where u at." The whole movie did inspire me to always say something profound and meaningful before going on long car rides.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I see a bunch of cops in traffic holding their flip phones up to their ear. It's bizarre.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

exquisite tea posted:

Some time ago I watched a PSA from AT&T about the dangers of texting and driving with the usual sob stories of prom queens and team captains cut down in their prime by a highway median because they were messaging their friends. It was depressing, of course, but they also showed their last messages before they died, which made it...kind of darkly funny? I'm probably a bad person for laughing a little at people whose lasts texts before rolling off a hill were "lol" and "where u at." The whole movie did inspire me to always say something profound and meaningful before going on long car rides.

The Werzog one is from AT&T as well and is essentially a product of the smaller pieces you mentioned.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Anyone know of any docs similar to Century of the Self? I've already watched all of Adam Curtis' other docs.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Any good documentaries about espionage? Doesn't have to be about modern stuff. Also any good documentaries about people going undercover?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

(although I don't entirely understand the connection they make between WikiLeaks and the Arab Spring revolts, which the narrator mentions briefly in a matter of fact tone).

I heard that in Tunisia and elsewhere people were afraid to revolt because their leaders convinced them the United States would intervene to maintain the status quo. The leaked diplomatic cables showed the US being skeptical of the regimes in place.

Haerc posted:

Anyone know of any docs similar to Century of the Self? I've already watched all of Adam Curtis' other docs.

Have you seen his blog? http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/

Sadly I don't know of anything on par with Century of the Self - but http://thoughtmaybe.com/ has lots of stuff in a similar vein.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I just watched this great documentary on the Atkins diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMuyJhMcE0

The Atkins diet is this popular high-protein, low-carb diet that has proven surprisingly effective despite traditional wisdom that low calories are the only way to lose weight. Early in the program, Atkins was doubted because his diet seemed to contradict the first law of thermodynamics: energy can't be destroyed, so if you consume more calories they must go to your hips because they cannot vanish into thin air. I'm always wary of applying this law to situations because the world is a bit complex. All that time I was thinking "Well maybe the calories pass into the poo without being absorbed. Perhaps the energy-bearing chemicals in meats are harder to digest." The documentary never confronted this thought. The documentary eventually concluded that protein is an appetite suppressant and that the Atkins dieters were actually eating less. Still, was I wrong to think what I thought?

Haerc posted:

I watched a documentary of his that argued that al-Qaeda didn't exist before 9/11 and was a phantom enemy that America made up and bin Laden opportunistically latched on to. I nearly fell off my chair.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

I nearly fell off my chair.

Do you mean this in a good way or a bad way? Obama indirectly mentioned 'The Power of Nightmares' narrative in his last presser - starting that the group that planned 9/11 has more or less been defeated but that al qaeda groups have 'metastasized'.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

All that time I was thinking "Well maybe the calories pass into the poo without being absorbed. Perhaps the energy-bearing chemicals in meats are harder to digest." The documentary never confronted this thought. The documentary eventually concluded that protein is an appetite suppressant and that the Atkins dieters were actually eating less. Still, was I wrong to think what I thought?

Well, you're not wrong to think it, but it's not what's happening. The human body has no problem digesting massive amounts of calories. There may be some point at tens of thousands of calories a day where you digest less of what you, but it's unlikely and has been backed up with studies that did examine the calorie content in poop. You eat 20 sticks of butter and your body is going to store it all! The documentary's conclusion is well-accepted.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I just watched Happy People a flick about some bad rear end modern mountain men, my description not theirs, in Siberia. A light hearted and easy to watch documentary that will make your realize these are the only dudes surviving the apocalypse.

Happy People - Venerated documentarian Werner Herzog teams with director Dmitry Vasyukov for this observant look at life along the River Yenisei in northern Russia, where the industrious inhabitants of a rural village truly live off the land.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

I just watched Happy People a flick about some bad rear end modern mountain men, my description not theirs, in Siberia. A light hearted and easy to watch documentary that will make your realize these are the only dudes surviving the apocalypse.

Happy People - Venerated documentarian Werner Herzog teams with director Dmitry Vasyukov for this observant look at life along the River Yenisei in northern Russia, where the industrious inhabitants of a rural village truly live off the land.

It's really good. That story about his dog and the bear made me tear up. It's a lot more emotional if you speak Russian.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

The Atkins diet is this popular high-protein, low-carb diet that has proven surprisingly effective despite traditional wisdom that low calories are the only way to lose weight. Early in the program, Atkins was doubted because his diet seemed to contradict the first law of thermodynamics: energy can't be destroyed, so if you consume more calories they must go to your hips because they cannot vanish into thin air. I'm always wary of applying this law to situations because the world is a bit complex. All that time I was thinking "Well maybe the calories pass into the poo without being absorbed. Perhaps the energy-bearing chemicals in meats are harder to digest." The documentary never confronted this thought. The documentary eventually concluded that protein is an appetite suppressant and that the Atkins dieters were actually eating less. Still, was I wrong to think what I thought?

I watched a documentary of his that argued that al-Qaeda didn't exist before 9/11 and was a phantom enemy that America made up and bin Laden opportunistically latched on to. I nearly fell off my chair.

First law of thermodynamics specifies a closed system. It's a common mistake, but the body is not that.

Additionally, protein and fat have fewer calories per gram than carbohydrates.

Beyond that, there is evidence that bacteria in the gut has a lot of influence -- possibly a huge influence. A big article somewhere about it was published recently, perhaps in the New Yorker?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nocal posted:

Additionally, protein and fat have fewer calories per gram than carbohydrates.

Dude, no. Roughly breaking down the different macronutrients, carbohydrates and proteins have 4 calories per gram while fat has 8 calories per gram. If you want to include ethanol, it has 7 calories per gram. This is, like, basic nutrition.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

I think there was a link from somewhere earlier in this thread, or the Paula Deen thread, from a doctor giving a presentation on nutrition's chemistry and the body's absorption of calories being unequal based upon chemical composition of food. I highly recommend Sugar: The Bitter Truth, found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I am looking for documentaries about female athletes, in particular female bodybuilders. Any good recommendations?

On a different topic, I recommend to anyone this lecture by an American law professor, who argues that it is NEVER a good idea to talk to the police without the guidance of an attorney. It doesn't matter if you haven't done anything and you're being questioned about somebody else's crime. You only put yourself at risk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 13, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Bifford posted:

I am looking for documentaries about female athletes, in particular female bodybuilders. Any good recommendations?

On a different topic, I recommend to anyone this lecture by an American law professor, who argues that it is NEVER a good idea to talk to the police without the guidance of an attorney. You only put yourself at risk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Probably not what you were looking for (or maybe exactly what you were looking for :v:) but Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends did a segment on male :airquote:fans:airquote: of female bodybuilding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OWqz5FMEY0

Never Talk to Police is fantastic, another good companion piece (despite the training film-level acting) is BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Just got home from seeing Blackfish. It's done really well and you should go see it if it's playing anywhere near you.

They don't even pretend to be unbiased, but I don't see what the opposing side could really have to say. They have one former trainer who basically says "people will try to claim the animals are killing because they have gone CRAZY from being in captivity but that is ridiculous." It is ridiculous and not at all what anyone is claiming, but it makes a great strawman and a feeble "that's ridiculous" seems to be the best anyone could possibly say to try to counter the mountain of evidence presented in the film.

Be warned that it's a frustrating movie to sit through. I was pissed off like 15-20 minutes in and ready to go raze Seaworld, and it just keeps getting more and more depressing and infuriating from there.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I watched this documentary on Thalidomide, a drug notorious for causing birth defects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2R_WllelU0

It was banned for a while, but then was slowly reintroduced when it was found to be really good at treating leprosy and some forms of cancer. The doc says that thalidomide is an awesome drug as long as you're not pregnant, so it's sad that it was pulled for so long. Obviously the emotional backlash over all those poor babies meant they overreacted a bit.

I recommend this doc because there's a good helping of science along with human drama. Very touching and educational.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 13, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think pulling a drug because of the ignorance of the scientists who invented and tested it causing a preventable situation that resulted in dramatic birth defects is like the opposite of overreaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah, I understand if people say "LOOK AT MY BABY! Do you think I'm overreacting?" But go to 13:58 and 19:10 and 25:48 and you'll see people whose terrible illnesses were almost magically relieved by thalidomide and suddenly you see a different side, a misunderstood drug that was misapplied.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 13, 2013