Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Tzarnal posted:

Amazing Stuff
That's a rather good summary of why everyone's likely still with Syvishtar(a).

Also, still looking forward to seeing if Will can be gibbed :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

That's a rather good summary of why everyone's likely still with Syvishtar(a).

Also, still looking forward to seeing if Will can be gibbed :allears:

Its also a shamless ripoff/adaption of existing dialogue in Beregost. But I thought it was fitting.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Tzarnal posted:

Its also a shamless ripoff/adaption of existing dialogue in Beregost. But I thought it was fitting.

What? That's in-game dialogue? Is there a conversation that I missed?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
It heavily sounds like the dialog you can get with that old farmer whose son went adventuring, the one who can attack you if you mess up the dialog.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Arkeus posted:

It heavily sounds like the dialog you can get with that old farmer whose son went adventuring, the one who can attack you if you mess up the dialog.

Yes, Marl in the Feldepost inn. Marl initially gives you crap when you enter, but you can talk to him to get a full conversation. Most of the options you can take just piss him off more but this is the ( somewhat rewritten ) path that leads to you making peace with the guy.

Here, I found a video with the conversation in it.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 5, 2013

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Ok, I'm not going to count the votes, because its obvious that everybody wants Syvishtar to get the Manual of Gainful Exercise. So I'll do that. And I'll start the next update now.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Tzarnal posted:

Yes, Marl in the Feldepost inn. Marl initially gives you crap when you enter, but you can talk to him to get a full conversation. Most of the options you can take just piss him off more but this is the ( somewhat rewritten ) path that leads to you making peace with the guy.

Here, I found a video with the conversation in it.
That's rather neat! I'm not sure I ever found that. Is it in the base game, or a mod?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

That's rather neat! I'm not sure I ever found that. Is it in the base game, or a mod?

Just base BG1, you get xp for reconciling. Otherwise you fight the guy, not sure what his death is worth xp wise, probably less. Considering you can meet him at level one probably with only 3 or so people in your party, that is actually a nice bonus for just getting through a conversation.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

He's actually pretty hard to miss, as I recall he approaches you to start the conversation.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

sebzilla posted:

He's actually pretty hard to miss, as I recall he approaches you to start the conversation.

I think he harasses you initially, but the long conversation won't trigger until you talk to him again.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ETB posted:

I think he harasses you initially, but the long conversation won't trigger until you talk to him again.

Ah, that was it. Could have sworn he comes up to you again if you just hang around though... meh, it's been too many years since I played through the series.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Been reading enough of this grand thread to inspire a brandy-new BGT playthrough. Loving all of it for so long, just caught up to post-Firewine for the story.

I can swear I just heard the following In-game:

"Sheep haven't been putting out lately." - Commoner/Boring Twat :suicide:
- Wryrms Crossing - Pre Baldur's Gate Admittance

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

19 Eleint, 1370

I think bringing Will to Durlag's Tower is one of the best ideas I've had all week. Ain't nothin' like quaint hey-nonny-nonny-oh folk songs to keep the Knowledge away! I just gotta make sure he stays in the back and does nothing but sing. So that's what I tell him to do.

Hope he's good at following directions!

Thankfully we have a lot of good bard equipment that he puts on. He is actually quite shocked at the wide variety we have available.

But none of our rings are better than the one he got back from his friend. It is pretty impressive.

We also outfit Jet'laya in the manner to which she is accustomed... kindof. With 3 clerics in the party she doesn't have first choice of equipment. She has to make do. Thankfully her mace, shield, ring, and cloak serve her well.

Since she is our most capable fighter now she is going to go on the front line. But since we have 3 clerics, all tough women, they are all going to go on the front line. I am afraid that the world might not be ready for the awesome golden wall of Branwen, Jet'laya, and Finch.

Then we start heading back to Durlag's.

On the way, I seem to remember that Will had some armor and weapons pawned somewhere in Beregost a few years ago. We decide to stop by and see if they are still available.

Do you still have Will's flail?

Certainly... But to take it out of pledge you have to pay. 1000 gp plus interest for default.

Here you are, take it out.

With pleasure, I don't need it.

It is magical, so I take a look at it.

He snatches it up and starts going on about the merits of flails. Okay there buddy. I also remember him saying that he had some armor ready at Thunderhammer Smithy, so we stop by there too.

Didn't Will order some armor to be forged at your smithy?

Taerom's next comment makes me flinch.

Will, have you joined this group? Adventurers are a dangerous matter.

Welcome my friend, it's always nice to see you, tell me how's my armor?

Your pretty leather, you mean.

Yeeeees, that's precisely the one. My scarlet leather with the cloak...

It's ready, you can take it. The price hasn't changed: 5,000 gp.

Oh, you extortioner, I hope that my friends will forgive me...

You know it's an extremely unique item, don't complain.

You want it or not? Every nobleman will want it and will spare no expense in gold.

Unfortunately we don't have enough gold now. We will have to get back to you later.

You will for sure. Now go find some gold.

5,000 gold for some red leather? Geez man! But I do know a great place to find gold...

We make the trip, but are waylaid by enemies. Worgs and kobolds, to be exact!

I yell at Will to stay the hell away from everything. He runs around frantically dodging arrows and kobolds until they are all dead and he is still alive.

Amazing! He'll do fine.

We get ambushed once more when we try to sleep at the end of our journey to Durlag's.

Will seems to learn how to stay out of danger quite quickly.

He expresses an interest in magic, so I let him paw inexpertly through Pelltar's spellbook. His wide-eyed expression as he learns Armor, Blindness, Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb, Color Spray, Friends, Grease, Identify, Larloch's Minor Drain, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil, Protection from Petrification, and Shield is kinda funny.

He hands me back the spellbook with an almost reverential grace. You know, come to think of it, he knows more spells right away than I knew when I was his age. Hmm. He is getting it easy. Maybe too easy.

When we get to the well leading down, I tell everybody to get their game faces on. Now is serious time.

I do not forget the lessons I saw acted out here. But I am still not sure what they mean. Mulgore killed everything. Does it mean brute force can overcome any base emotion?

I am still wondering when we reach the bottom of the well.

Gameplay note: You know what? When I went down here, killed Pride, went back to town, raised Xavia, picked up Jet'laya and Will, came back here, and got back down to this level, I realized something big - the books were gone. Loading the map and then traveling for a week or so made all the books on the ground here disappear. So I had to reload from the point before I killed Pride and do it all again, so that I could bring you the full emotional impact of this floor. So you kids better appreciate it.

For the first time, I take a good look at the ground here. There are extremely detailed frescoes on the floor, and books carefully laid out near them with what can only be loving precision. I tell everybody to back into the hallway again so that I can take a closer look.

After studying the floor closely, these books on the ground remind me of the Manual of Gainful Exercise. I wonder what it says?

Oh! Wow! I really did not know that before. So if you put your legs into it then you can get more oompf on the backswing.

Gameplay note: I can carry 150 lbs now. Nice.

Anyways, back to the floor. There are three dwarfy faces on the floor, and one evil face to the southwest.

It is also the only direction with an open door. I pick up that book first.

Those bastards! I can feel something like Durlag's rage within me. A cold, calculating, and ever false enemy would be oh-so-satisfying to utterly destroy. Screw those dopplegangers.

I want to see what's down this hallway.

Okay, this is creepy. A room full of statues of evil. Was Durlag a sculptor in addition to being an adventurer?

Imoen spots something at the far end... next to a corpse.

There's gold, a few low-level scrolls, some potions, and another dusty book.

Seek no heirs? What does that mean? Is Durlag telling me I shouldn't have children?

Imoen tells me that there are secret doors on either side, but I'm not interested. I go back to the central room. What else does Durlag want to say?

I pick up the book on the northwest side this time, the one next to the dark-haired dwarf holding a sword.

Oh. Wow. The dark-haired dwarf was Durlag's son. I motion for Imoen to open the door. But she can't.

Hmm. I guess we'll have to use the secret doors after all. But first I want to read these other books. What about the book to the northeast, next to the dwarf with the huge blonde beard?

I pick up the book, more gently this time.

So, the blonde-bearded one was Kiel. I wish I could have met him. I can imagine him as the loud, boisterous one. The beard gives it away.

Finally, I pick up the book of the dwarf to the southeast.

I blow away some of the dust with my breath.

Oh... his wife?! Durlag had to kill the form of his own wife? No wonder he's insane.

I take a final look at the fresco.

Ahh, yes, I can tell now. A purple head covering. That's dwarfish for woman. Funny that I haven't yet met any dwarf women in real life. I don't quite know what they'd be like.

All the doors are, of course, beyond Imoen's ken. We're going to have to use the secrets. I tell Imoen to lead the way. I don't want a repeat of Xan. But she can't open them either.

How are we supposed to get anywhere in this place if none of the doors open? I try to think of a way, staring at the creepy tapestry lying in the middle of the room like a carpet.

As I think, the girls bicker.

Stay well clear of me, you foul speakin' heretic!

Why don't ye go rut with an Iluskan hound?

They don't mean anything by it, they're just like that.

You know, I've heard of tapestries created where the eyes follow you around the room, but I don't ever remember hearing about ones where the eyes sometimes follow you, and then sometimes look elsewhere. I get another chill down my back.

Then I look more closely at the statues. What if I move this thing back a little...

Aha! We go check out the now-open door.

Of course I send Imoen in first. I ask her if she can see any traps.

She says she can see one or two. I give her time. Thieves hate to be rushed.

Imoen finds some minor treasures, some priest spell scrolls, and a scroll of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere!

I tell her to hand over the magic. This is the one that the dudes were casting all the time when I was going after the Talismans!

Awesome! I can't wait to try this one out.

Jet'laya notices that we're in a sparring room, with sparring dummies still waiting for their beatings. She nonchalantly walks up to one and begins praticing on it. When she does, a lot of grinding and scraping is heard all around us.

I want to see what has happened. I walk forward ahead of Imoen. That's when I see him.

A moment later, and he disappears and reappears behind me.

Then I hear stone shifting. What's going on?

Again the apparition disappears and appears again further in the room.

Ahh, so the dopplegangers attacked Durlag's son Fuernebol. I guess that makes sense...

Then the room is filled with a choking mist and something jumps out at us from within it!

In a split second Branwen and Imoen are running scared and Finch is Dire Charmed. Crap!

I throw some missiles at the doppleganger while Jet'laya tries to make everything alright.

But she chokes on the mist and messes up her prayer.

I cast Icebolt at the bastard!

And then Jet'laya is the one to pound him into the ground.

Finch is still Dire Charmed. Hey, now is a great time for Otiluke's Resilient Sphere! I reach deep into the Weave, gather the necessary energies, shape it into a ball, and throw it perfectly at Finch!

No, wait, not that kind of ball!

Well, hrm. Now she can't be dispelled. I guess we'll just have to wait it out. It's only Finch after all, I mean what is she going to OUCH!

It is only by running screaming from the room that I am able to survive.

When the magic wears off, she apologizes. And she also picks up and reads the next book we find on the floor.

Oh man. That is rough. I really feel for Durlag. That's just... that's just not right.

We follow the hallway and return to the room of monsters.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Goddamn. Three middling level clerics. Also, had Finch turned on Will...

:allears:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Shei-kun posted:

Also, had Finch turned on Will...

:allears:

Oh come on, Will isn't a weak little level 1 bard with 7 hit points anymore. He leveled up! Now he has 9 hit points and can cast a spell!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've been here since the beginning and I love the story you're weaving.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Haha, thanks a lot man!

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
Can't wait for another episode of "Will Will Survive?"!

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Choronzons son posted:

Can't wait for another episode of "Will Will Survive?"!

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for every Will drops to zero.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
After all, there's a reason it's called "Fire at Will".

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Another lurker here. Spent the last couple weeks catching up with this LP. Just want to add to the chorus and say thanks, Vorgen, for doing this LP. It's incredibly entertaining, and we really appreciate all the effort!

Also Durlag's tower, which is a part of BG I've never played, is proving to be surprisingly creepy for cRPG material.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Frontspac posted:

Also Durlag's tower, which is a part of BG I've never played, is proving to be surprisingly creepy for cRPG material.

Trust me, it's just getting started.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Still liking this thread. Spent days reading from the start at the start of the year, then slack off, catch up, etc. I can't even remember if I posted in here before.

I don't know how you do it. I usually get up to the Cloakwood or to the opening of the Gate before some other shiny lures me away. I've never done the TotSC content because of that.

Having all these various kits on the npcs makes me lament using plain old versions in any iteration of Baldur's Gate. Of course, if you use custom kits, the AI scripts I use (eSeries originally, BPSeries currently) won't work correctly. Makes me appreciate how the AI enhancer modder, and the added content modder eventually started to work together for Neverwinter Nights 2.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

22 Eleint, 1370

This room seriously creeps me out.

This time Imoen chooses the statue to our left. Another door opens behind us.

Imoen scouts it out for us and finds a nicely-appointed reading room of sorts.

After she gives the all-clear we pile into the room. Imoen checks the coffee table and finds a book and a wardstone. The book has only three words on it.

The wardstone is called the Islanne Wardstone.

Oh. We passed the face of the woman on the way here. Were these her rooms? Dare we find out what happened to Durlag's wife?

The grinding stone all around us seems to suggest so.

And the visions appearing from nowhere confirm it.

Oh, no. Not this. Anything but this. I don't want to see what happens to Xan Islanne.

No, not the torches. Not the light.

The apparition appears next to the bed, finally. I know what that means.

This time we all lash out in fury and pain. Lightning and holy fire fall from the heavens, while the whole room is awash in beams of holy light descending. They pierce the evil doppleganger's heart.

I may not be a woman right exactly now but I still cannot abide what I just saw. The implications...

Branwen and Will were struck with fear, and flee in blind terror around the room.

We spend some minutes calming them down.

Imoen finds another wardstone.

This one opens some other doors.

There is also the Kiel wardstone here.

Finally, in the wardrobe, we find the Robe of the Good Archmagi and some spell scrolls. Nothing we don't already know. But... Islenne was a mage? And she died like that?

I will never sleep with someone else in the same bed ever again.

In the now-open hallway, Finch finds another book.

It only confirms what we already know.

Imoen can't open the other door in the room, so we can only go back to the hall of evil statues. What can we do more?

I'm actually at a loss, and Imoen is too. Neither one of us knows how to open the next door, and why these damned runestones aren't good for anything.

Gameplay note: I actually forgot what to do next and had to look it up online. What did we do before we had the Internet anyways?

Imoen is the one that finally figures it out. She paces back and forth, thinking, and ends up in the sparring chamber again. She notices that the sparring dummies each have a unique color.

They match up rather well with the colors of the runestones we just collected. She rushes back and grabs the runestones out of my hands.

She puts the orange one in the orange practice dummy, the red in the red, and the blue with the blue.

Gameplay note: I think this is one of those puzzles which was helped by the lower resolution of the original Baldur's Gate. You can barely make out the colors here at our stunning 800x600 of BG2.

She steps back, proud of herself and expectantly looking around, waiting for something to happen. But nothing does.

In frustration, she starts hitting the center dummy, fiercely whispering "Why won't you WORK!?"

Doors shift and move, stone grinds on stone.

Not quite the door we were hoping for though... Imoen lets out a scream of frustration and hits the other dummy.

Jet'laya shouts out that a new way is open. Oh! It must have been the blue one that Imoen smacked with her staff. Okay then!

Gameplay note: Seriously how was anyone supposed to figure this out in 1998?

You know, I'll confess. I used to do some pretty weird stuff back in Candlekeep. The place was a gigantic library and you couldn't leave, so we turned to extremely... esoteric entertainment. One of the things I used to do was read the dictionary. Yes. Seriously. And one word that always stuck in my mind from those days I've never had a chance to use in real life. Until now.

Trepidation.

The word was trepidation, and now I've said it true.

It is with great trepidation that I watch Imoen enter the fourth wing of this crazy doom reenactment dungeon: Kiel's wing.

The blonde-bearded boisterous leader dwarf. I will know how he died, though I do not want to.

We enter into the room, and the decorations are quite grand. But we of course are hesitant to advance further. Imoen sees some secret doors off to the left and right, and decides to investigate. She takes a while to come back.

I quickly wonder if she's okay so I follow her in.

What the bloody hell is this place?! Cages, tables? Devices?!

There is a book and a goblet lying near the entrance. I go back and pick them up. The book, of course, is creepy.

I take a closer look at the goblet.

So this goblet turns you into Khalid? Hrm. I'll give it to Jaheira.

Imoen finds out the hard way that the room isn't safe.

And while Imoen is over there doing her thing, we find that we are in a spot of trouble.

There is a naked doppleganger, yes, but there is also a more familiar shape...

Branwen reaches the dopplegangers first, but seems to suddenly change her mind.

I know what that means.

Jet'laya takes a moment to call for the favor of her goddess.

While Imoen finishes a little project I had going there for a moment.

The Holy Book of Rhialto takes care of the doppleganger's mirror images, and of Branwen's change of mind.

And then it is just blunt object work.

That is, until the image of Durlag Trollkiller teleports in and reappears before us yet again. How many times are we going to have to kil this guy's face?

This Durlag seems to be more dangerous than previous Durlags.

I order a formation adjustment as we stare down this new threat. We all run to our designated points. But then I feel a little click and a small shift underneath my own foot. What was that?

poo poo!

Gameplay note: Yes, it was Syvishtar who triggered the Fireball trap that killed Will. Heh.

When the flame and the smoke clear, we find that there are two new bodies on the floor. Durlag's doppleganger and Will.

Aww, and he was doing so well (the weak always perish)! I thought he was learning a lot (he deserved it).

Imoen says she thought she had already searched for traps, but perhaps there are a few she missed? She looks again.

She gasps and screams out for nobody to move for any reason.

Gameplay note: Maybe I shouldn't be playing this game drunk.

Maybe I shouldn't have been sipping on this bottle of wine that I still have from the previous level?

Makes it hard to see.

I pick up Will's things. We have to press on. It's too hard to go back through all of this again. We'll just have to make do.

Imoen is already making do in the next room.

She finds another book on the floor.

Is that not what we just did? What we've been doing?

OH WAIT. I can resurrect Will. I tell Imoen to hold the demons for a moment.

I seek to test your knowledge of the arcane.

Hey, at least the guy is a cheap rez.

Strangely enough he doesn't seem horrified at the idea of dying so quickly, but enlightened.

And one tiny touch from Branwen is enough to make him look good as new.

Ok. With that all settled, I tell Imoen that she can bring on the demons.

She looks into the vase and sees a wardstone. She picks it up and immediately rune lines start glowing underneath our feet.

I shout out a warning, "TELEPORT RUNES, PREPARE FOR COMBAT!"

Goddamn dwarf rune magic, I can never remember what it can and can't do.

But nothing happens right away. I ask Imoen to toss me the runestone.

Ahh, it is El Ith Thul, not Eld Ith Thul. That means we have to activate the rune lines, they do not automatically activate. That's courteous.

I explain the situation to everyone, and we prepare.

Then I step on one of the lines.

We are just teleported to the other side of a wall.

But there is a passage ahead, which leads to a room. Imoen is more thorough in her search of this one.

There is another book in the center of the room. Imoen reaches down to read it.

There are some tiny sconces hanging above us. Imoen finds one trapped and disarms it. In it there is just a healing potion. She goes to loot the second sconce and unleashes a lightning bolt trap!

What?! Again?

Ok, maybe it's better if we just leave him dead for now.

Imoen waits until she is sure that she knows how the other sconces are trapped.

Each one contains a single Potion of Healing. Now we have 4, and one dead bard.

We know what the book says, but Imoen does it anyway. She seeks an exit.

She finds a room with a book, two skeletons, a trapped statue, and some braziers with loot in them.

The book is, of course, comforting.

There are some minor treasures in the braziers, but there is another wardstone in the statue.

Score!

Imoen tosses some spell scrolls to me. For my apprentice, she is remarkably dismissive of magic. I check the scrolls over. One is Polymorph Self, a spell I do not yet know!

Ok that sounds really fun. I'm going to have to try that out too.

There is another book in the hallway as we exit that room.

It doesn't let up on the relentless cheer.

There is a strange glow ahead, and Imoen insists on scouting it out first. I think she may be feeling some guilt there...

Ghouls and ghasts come out of the side passages, but the clerics make short work of them.

After that we continue down the passage. We almost walk over another trap, but Imoen finds it in time.

The same thing happens again.

Each time Imoen disarms one of these traps, more undead come after us. But they are simply not a threat.

At the end of the passageway we see a stairway going down. We also see a dwarven form in the opposite doorway.

He doesn't look friendly, but he doesn't look aggressive either.

There is, of course, another cheery book at the top of the stairway.

I think I'm going to collect these, make a Thought of the Day calendar. June 29 - Seek No Exit. June 30 - Dance With the Dead. There has got to be a market for that in some big city.

I wisely turn away from this area for now. I feel that I have sidestepped some horrible fate. We still need to see what lies behind us.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 13, 2013

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Ah Will, will you not come back?

(He deserved it).

Benjifer
May 28, 2012

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: Maybe I shouldn't be playing this game drunk.

Awesome. This is probably the best quote ever.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Man, I was really forgetting the fundamentals last night. Standing in the middle of a room still filled with traps, AFTER finishing a fight in there, really has to be the dumbest moment of the entire Let's Play so far.

I basically ended the update abruptly because I kept getting my rear end handed to me in the next sections. It was pretty bad. Let me just post the alternate reality thingie now:

---
Trunk and branch, twig and leaf,
Memory is a reality thief.
---

I really do not want to spend more time on this level, and I found the exit wardstone. So there really is no reason to not go down these stairs. I confidently lead us...

down into ... here?

I swear this room looks identical except for the 3 skeleton warriors that just popped up. Like spirits. Out of the very stone.

The clerics all start to get holy. I think I might need to fully unleash for this battle, so I start casting something that may be appropriate.

No? Death magic doesn't work on skeleton warriors? Okay, how about...

I don't actually know what happened there. Let me try again.

poo poo! Okay, okay, I got this. BOOM MATHAFA...

Oh. Well if I'm not affected, and he's not affected, then who's affected?

Godsdamnit. Why am I such a poison upon the face of the earth?

I

NEED

TO

KILLTHISGUY!

At least Imoen is being useful.

Do I take the Weaves over, or under, or no wait this goes through here and

Yes, I would like to have help with this magic. It is quite complex. Thank you for coming to my aid, fair djinni.

A repeatable wish.

Choose then, but be aware that unwise wishes shall leave the wisher wanting.

I wish to be protected from undead right now.

Protection from undead granted, and I shall have to summon some undead for you to be protected from.

No, you idiot, we already have 3 skeleton warriors, you don't have to... blargh!

Gameplay note: I seriously thought that was the good result wish. That's what Gamebanshee said! Woe is me I have been led astray by online walkthroughs!

Oh my god I have to get out of here. I have to escape!

What is going on? They're sucking my blood! Why do I feel so weak?

Jet'laya notices my plight and throws out a Glyph of Warding. It explodes on all the vampires around me. Imoen also summons another elemental to help with the fighting. None of them know what is going on.

Suddenly there are dire wolves, and Finch is dominated? Oh my weave what have I done?

The wolves come after me, while the vampires go after Imoen.

Jet'laya glows with the power of Corellon, and instantly some of the vampires turn to gaseous form. She is Turning them, I guess?

Then the dogs finish me off.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I recently went through Durlag's Tower for the first time thanks to Baldur's Gate Enhanced, and I found that the easiest way to deal with the dwarven doom guards is to first retreat into the previous corridor so you only have to deal with one at a time and then to assault them with nothing but wands of frost, fire (scorcher mode), and/or the heavens.

Also, Sarevok is quite satisfyingly weak to 40+ damage backstabs from a fighter/thief, so keep a ring of invisibility on hand.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Syvishtar tripping a fireball trap to kill Will means that ETB is now a winner in the 1-factor betting pool. Yay ETB!

Here's now things stand now:

code:
*** GOLDEN COMPANY DEATH POOL ***

*** 1-factor bets, for x1 payoff ***

W2 AJ_Impy       - Xan dies 
W2 ETB           - someone dies by fireball trap

2 AJ_Impy       - Imoen dies
 3 ETB           - Imoen dies
 4 Linedance     - Finch dies
 5 Sammage       - Imoen dies
 2 Semi-mental   - Finch dies

L2 Haystack      - Mulgore dies
L1 Linedance     - Mulgore dies

23 total votes in the 1-factor pool

*** 2-factor bets, for x2 payoff ***

W4 Maugrim          - Xan dies first

2 Little_wh0re     - Finch killed by monsters
 1 Little_wh0re     - Imoen killed by Syv
 2 Little_wh0re     - Imoen killed by monsters
 3 loco88           - Imoen dies by trap
 3 Mountaineer      - Finch killed by uncontrollable ally
 2 Quarter Past Ten - Finch killed by Syvishtar(a)
 1 Slaan            - Finch dies by magic-user
 3 The Protagonist  - Imoen dies to uncontrollable ally
 1 Tithin Melias    - Imoen dies by trap

L2 Ghostwoods       - Xavia killed by undead
L2 loco88           - Syvishtar(a) kills someone first
L2 LucyWanabe       - Xan killed by monsters
L2 Quarter Past Ten - Xan killed by enemy
L4 The Iron Rose    - Somebody dies to Syvishtar(a) first
L4 Tithin Melias    - Imoen is first to die

37 votes in the 2-factor pool (74 vote possible win)

*** 4-factor bets, for x4 payoff ***

L2 Ilyich           - Imoen dies, in 1st basement, by Fireball trap, fleeing from skeleton warrior

2 votes in the 4-factor pool (8 vote possible win)

*** 6-factor bets, for x6 payoff ***

5 Gharbad the Weak - Party wipe (each person dies is a factor, plus all in the same encounter is a factor)

5 votes in the 6-factor pool (30 vote possible win)

code:
***   VOTE ACCOUNT TRACKING   ***
(Unless noted below, you have 5 votes)

1 AJ_Impy
0 ETB
0 Gharbad the Weak
3 Ghostwoods
3 Haystack
3 Ilyich
0 Linedance
0 Little_wh0re
0 loco88
3 LucyWanabe
1 Maugrim
2 Mountaineer
1 Quarter Past Ten
0 Sammage
3 Semi-mental
4 Slaan
1 The Iron Rose
2 The Protagonist
0 Tithin Melias

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
That SCS enhanced pack of elder and ancient vampires you fought from the wish is "good" if you have a high level cleric, it becomes free exp or a powerful summoned army depending if you're good/evil respectively. If you're low level like Syv still is relative to when they should show up, then you've no chance of winning. When I did my last run through the series that particular spawn was more dangerous than an SCS Lich, which says a lot, those things are obscene.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It seems like a paltry win when it's against Will...

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
I just recently went through Durlag's in my mostly unmodded Tutu game (just some tweaks) and definitely didn't have to drop the ward stones into the training dummies. Are you sure you just have to attack them with the stones in your inventory?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hey, I bet on Will's death, and he died TWICE! :argh:

Just because I rescinded the gibbing aspect didn't mean I wasn't banking on him going down.

(Yes, I realize this is all in good fun, I just wanted to remind you, Vorgen. Keep up the hilarious shenanigans :allears:)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Since this great LP is in that phase of the game, I hope that I can ask a question: I am playing the Enhanced Edition, having a blast, and am going to be in Durlag's soon. As everyone reading this thread has realised, that place is a trap breeding ground. I have Coran, who has 100 in both Pick Lock and Find Trap, but a lot of these traps have huge (up to -90%, according to the old TotSC strategy guide) penalties, so how does this work?

I know that find traps for thieves has a pulse effect where it looks for traps in a radius every 6 seconds or so, I think... so, if a thief has 100 in Find Traps and there is a 60% penalty on a trap, does he have a 40% chance per pulse of finding it or does he automatically find it right away because his FT score is higher than the penalty? On a similar vein, what about disarming/opening locks? Does it work in the former way (FT score - penalty = chance to disarm/open) or is it more "auto-success if your Disarm/Open score exceeds the penalty?" Pardon my ignorance, but I've never been able quite to figure this out.

What I do know is that I am going to load my bard with Knock spells (my sorceror knows that spell too) and my druid/cleric with Find Traps spells for extra help. This is going to be bloody brutal.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Also if its not too late, buy or steal every single potion of perception and master thievery you can. Every single one. They're a massive stat boost, and last effectively forever (six game-hours is longer than you'll realisitically be able to go before needing to rest your party.) The one sketchy thief merchant lady in Baldur's Gate is really nice for having a stack of those, ditto the guy outside Durlag's Tower.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
There's several potions of perception lying around in Durlag's anyway, but it can't hurt to bring some more.

A good tactic is to cast invisibility on your thief and have him slowly scout out the whole map, since
disarming traps doesn't break invisibility. You can also mark groups of monsters on your map.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Willie Tomg posted:

Also if its not too late, buy or steal every single potion of perception and master thievery you can. Every single one. They're a massive stat boost, and last effectively forever (six game-hours is longer than you'll realisitically be able to go before needing to rest your party.) The one sketchy thief merchant lady in Baldur's Gate is really nice for having a stack of those, ditto the guy outside Durlag's Tower.

I have several dozen of those, I was just hoping that someone knew the mechanics. The clerid/druid spell Find Traps is 100%, I think, so I am going to keep as many of those memorized as I can - same with Knock on my bard/sorcerer. I just find this aspect of the game to be unnecessarily opaque.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

JustJeff88 posted:

Since this great LP is in that phase of the game, I hope that I can ask a question: I am playing the Enhanced Edition, having a blast, and am going to be in Durlag's soon. As everyone reading this thread has realised, that place is a trap breeding ground. I have Coran, who has 100 in both Pick Lock and Find Trap, but a lot of these traps have huge (up to -90%, according to the old TotSC strategy guide) penalties, so how does this work?

I know that find traps for thieves has a pulse effect where it looks for traps in a radius every 6 seconds or so, I think... so, if a thief has 100 in Find Traps and there is a 60% penalty on a trap, does he have a 40% chance per pulse of finding it or does he automatically find it right away because his FT score is higher than the penalty? On a similar vein, what about disarming/opening locks? Does it work in the former way (FT score - penalty = chance to disarm/open) or is it more "auto-success if your Disarm/Open score exceeds the penalty?" Pardon my ignorance, but I've never been able quite to figure this out.

What I do know is that I am going to load my bard with Knock spells (my sorceror knows that spell too) and my druid/cleric with Find Traps spells for extra help. This is going to be bloody brutal.

I'm 99% sure that find traps works on a threshold system, i.e., a thief with 100 will always find every trap that is findable. I'm 100% sure that disarming traps and open locks do work on a threshold system ("auto-success if your Disarm/Open score exceeds the penalty?"), and there is a chance of sucess if your skill is slightly below the lock/trap dificulty.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Also, Sarevok is quite satisfyingly weak to 40+ damage backstabs from a fighter/thief, so keep a ring of invisibility on hand.

You cheater

I did the same thing :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Magrov posted:

I'm 99% sure that find traps works on a threshold system, i.e., a thief with 100 will always find every trap that is findable. I'm 100% sure that disarming traps and open locks do work on a threshold system ("auto-success if your Disarm/Open score exceeds the penalty?"), and there is a chance of sucess if your skill is slightly below the lock/trap dificulty.

Okay, that makes sense - thanks. That kind of supports my experiments. Coran has had 100 Open Lock for a long time, and he hasn't failed to pick a lock in ages, but levels ago when I still had Imoen I failed to pick a chest about 8 or 9 times in a row (quickloading between each one) and then got it on the 10th go, so there has to be *some* random element.

• Locked thread