Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember when we all thought there would be a flurry of Haswell laptops in June? What the gently caress happened?

This was weird, yeah. Kinda surprised they didn't capitalize on Back to School with Haswell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

evilweasel posted:

Who? I've never seen much of a use case for touch on a standard laptop.

It's the weirdest restriction on the term 'ultrabook' I could think of but hey there it is.

I suppose that, after years of lovely trackpads, nipples, and the like they decided to just say 'gently caress it' and make you shove your dirty fingers right onto the screen whenever you want to click something.

Sometimes I want a touchscreen, but never more than once a week maybe. And it's only when using Windows 8 stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if OEMs just pass over touchscreen poo poo in the future. It's just a fad to me, personally.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I suspect that basic 19x18 screen will have touch, just not multi-touch, to comply with the Ultrabook requirements, it fits all the dimension requirements, has a tiny SSD (only really useful for hitting this), has the right CPU, etc. Not that it's useful at all.

e: It totally makes sense that it's part of the Ultrabook requirement as Ultrabooks were intended to drive adoption of:

1. noticeably different hardware - "faster" isn't quite doing it anymore. SSDs and touchscreens and thin laptops that look like MBAs drive sales.
2. Win8. Microsoft wants to push the Windows ecosystem and WinRT, even if they're totally incompatible. WinRT is dead but Win8 is looking a lot less pointless with touchscreens everywhere, and to many that means "buy a new system" and not "upgrade"
3. higher quality (to an extent) systems at a more reasonable price point, rather than "netbooks and $500 shitboxes and $1400 ultraportables"

I think it's doing a reasonably good thing to the general laptop market by bringing up build quality a little but probably detrimental to the solid Windows brands, all one of them.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 13, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bob Morales posted:

I'd prefer integrated - and what's with soldering 4GB on the motherboard?
It makes sense if you assume that the 440s will be pared with another 440 version or two, and that the 440s makes some tradeoffs in order to be the "slim" version. See: no optical drive, half the battery being fixed, and then the soldered RAM. All things that are done to cut some costs as well as space. Long live the "Ultrabook" I guess. The 730M isn't a great dGPU, but it's not bad at all for a 3.6lbs laptop, so keep that part in perspective.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

It's the weirdest restriction on the term 'ultrabook' I could think of but hey there it is.

Dell is doing their damnedest to upsell the stupid requirement to their buisness customers. I think Dell single handedly shot themselves in the foot with this one, I caught this ad in the elevator at work today. What it tells our CIO (who also rides in the elevator) is that your employees will use this expensive screen to screw around on company time and draw frogs and giant insects, rather than getting work done (:wtc:) Yes that is a giant animated frog they're using to sell the XPS 12 to business buyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypLHZh6GeNE

I'm going to be stuck with an awful Latitude E55xx series work laptop forever :smithicide:

Inspector_71 posted:

The Samsung is going to be like $5-600 more though, isn't it?

Also, what's so bad about that non-touch resolution? I'm seriously interested in the T440s now.

The samsung series 9 ($1400) is an i7 with touchscreen (with double the resolution) and if you compare it against it's nearest i7 T440s competitor ($1263) the price difference is only $137

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Dell is doing their damnedest to upsell the stupid requirement to their buisness customers. I think Dell single handedly shot themselves in the foot with this one, I caught this ad in the elevator at work today. What it tells our CIO (who also rides in the elevator) is that your employees will use this expensive screen to screw around on company time and draw frogs and giant insects, rather than getting work done (:wtc:) Yes that is a giant animated frog they're using to sell the XPS 12 to business buyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypLHZh6GeNE

I'm going to be stuck with an awful Latitude E55xx series work laptop forever :smithicide:

The samsung series 9 ($1400) is an i7 with touchscreen (with double the resolution) and if you compare it against it's nearest i7 T440s competitor ($1263) the price difference is only $137

The Ativ plus whatever is an i5. The older Samsung 9 is an i7, but doesn't have touch. This of course could be wrong but that's my understanding of them.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hadlock posted:

What's up fellow E55xx work laptop victim? They are so, so very terrible. Heavy ugly brick of a machine, lovely low contrast ratio LCD, terrible battery life even with the extended pack, the worst trackpad I have ever used, sometimes fails to turn on its display when you wake it (windows is alive, the display isn't). And to top it all off it smells bad. Whenever it starts farting hot air out its side exhaust vent (which it does at the drop of a hat), you can smell a distinct, unpleasant odor. When I first got it I hoped that would go away with time, but it hasn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anyone know offhand what shipping carrier Dell Canada uses for laptops? The last thing I got from them (a TV) shipped Purolator Freight, and that is a mess I would rather not go through again. A big enough mess that I would rather buy from another company. That was an oversized item though, so maybe laptops are different.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 13, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your TV likely came LTL (less than truckload) which is a different class of freight than parcel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Your TV likely came LTL (less than truckload) which is a different class of freight than parcel.

It did, but Purolator Freight also takes parcel sized packages too apparently, so Dell might still use them for a laptop so I don't know.

The main issue was my billing address is a PO Box. This is a huge problem for Freight, but not a big deal for Purolator vanilla.

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
I'm looking to buy, against better judgement and reasoning, a gaming laptop. Yes, I said it.

Back in 2009 I bought an ASUS Laptop, the one I'm currently using, for 800$. It's still running fine, playing Dota 2 at just about peak graphics as well as EVE Online and Guild Wars (with fps at around 40). I have definitely gotten my 800$ worth out of it seeing that 2-3 years is suppose to be the expiration date on these things. I have never upgraded any hardware parts, they are still all stock.

I noticed the lack of discussion in OP regarding ASUS laptops and was curious as to a reason why? Are they poo poo computers (although mine has lasted a good while)?

Also I poking at the idea of getting a new gaming laptop (I believe my portable battery has finally taken a crap after 4 years, and the cooling design on this laptop just isn't cutting it any more). What's the go-to laptop right now?

EDIT: Would it be easier to update my graphics card or would this cause a colossal shitstorm with my ASUS inner-workings?

Bigbillthaboss fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 13, 2013

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I was waiting for the Haswell Thinkpads, but since my budget is around $8-850 I think I might as well get the T430 now since the T440s is out of my budget.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

oneof27 posted:

I was waiting for the Haswell Thinkpads, but since my budget is around $8-850 I think I might as well get the T430 now since the T440s is out of my budget.

There will be a non-s T440, won't there?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

oneof27 posted:

How do you figure?

Hadlock posted:

I added in USD since about two other people will bother converting those prices. Keep in mind the B&N price is about 25%-30% off MSRP. So probably in the $800-$850 range to launch? Trending downwards towards december.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't live in Canada, I can't speak to who does what with which packages, except that LTL is generally handled differently in my country. UPS Freight (white) is only at a very general level loosely associated with UPS Parcel (brown), so your Canadian freight carrier may or may not be completely different.

I would be very much surprised if Lenovo killed their best selling corporate model the T4x0 series and burned that bridge. That said, there's been zero official word on any new standard T, W or X series, only the T440s

From November last year using the B&N link:

T430S $721.24 with i5 as the base model

Wouldn't surprise me if the T440s started out around $825 using the B&N link, they're putting a substantially better screen (presumably) in them than the T430s. Or they could match the old price exactly. :iiam:

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I have an old thinkpad x61s and the right palm rest gets uncomfortably hot. Is there such a thing as a relatively thin, adhesive heat absorbing/dissipating pad or film I can get to apply to this section of the laptop?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

oneof27 posted:

Hadlock posted:

I added in USD since about two other people will bother converting those prices. Keep in mind the B&N price is about 25%-30% off MSRP. So probably in the $800-$850 range to launch? Trending downwards towards december.
Use the B&N Gold link when they come out and you should be around the same cost.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Ah!That's both a relief and a frustration. I want my laptop! Thanks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I don't live in Canada, I can't speak to who does what with which packages, except that LTL is generally handled differently in my country. UPS Freight (white) is only at a very general level loosely associated with UPS Parcel (brown), so your Canadian freight carrier may or may not be completely different.

Yeah, that was the case. In my town, all Purolator courier packages go to a local Purolator shipping agent and we just pick up from them. Purolator Freight however has to deliver to you, personally, at the address you gave Dell and they need to see an ID with your name and that address on it.

The problem was Dell didn't tell me they were using Purolator Freight and not courier when I asked, so I put the shipping agent's address. Naturally I don't have an ID with the shipping agent's address on it. I worked it out eventually, but it took too much time and too many phonecalls.

If a laptop just ships regular courier then there should be no problem though. I need a new laptop for work, and the XPS12 looks like exactly what I need.

In the past I've just ordered through our supplier, but they don't have Dell stuff. If I'm getting something new, I'm getting something actually new.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 13, 2013

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
That $800 lenovo ideapad y410p looks like an amazing deal, does anyone think it will be available as cheap around the holidays?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Probably, yes

Bigbillthaboss posted:

I'm looking to buy, against better judgement and reasoning, a gaming laptop. Yes, I said it.

Back in 2009 I bought an ASUS Laptop, the one I'm currently using, for 800$. It's still running fine, playing Dota 2 at just about peak graphics as well as EVE Online and Guild Wars (with fps at around 40). I have definitely gotten my 800$ worth out of it seeing that 2-3 years is suppose to be the expiration date on these things. I have never upgraded any hardware parts, they are still all stock.

I noticed the lack of discussion in OP regarding ASUS laptops and was curious as to a reason why? Are they poo poo computers (although mine has lasted a good while)?

Also I poking at the idea of getting a new gaming laptop (I believe my portable battery has finally taken a crap after 4 years, and the cooling design on this laptop just isn't cutting it any more). What's the go-to laptop right now?

EDIT: Would it be easier to update my graphics card or would this cause a colossal shitstorm with my ASUS inner-workings?

Why don't you just buy a new battery?

If you really want a new gaming laptop, there's a pretty good 15" Lenovo that I linked 2 pages back for around $1000. But if your current laptop is meeting all of your needs but is getting some poor battery life, you'd be better off just buying a new battery for now. After 4 years your capacity is definitely going to be low, but that can be fixed cheaply and easily (unless your laptop can't have its battery replaced I guess)

And no, you can't upgrade your laptop's graphics card, don't even try

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I understand there's a special type of SSDs that fit in laptops? Is there a recommended one?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most laptops will fit a standard SSD. What is your laptop? There's a few exceptions.

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ Probably, yes
Why don't you just buy a new battery?

If you really want a new gaming laptop, there's a pretty good 15" Lenovo that I linked 2 pages back for around $1000. But if your current laptop is meeting all of your needs but is getting some poor battery life, you'd be better off just buying a new battery for now. After 4 years your capacity is definitely going to be low, but that can be fixed cheaply and easily (unless your laptop can't have its battery replaced I guess)

And no, you can't upgrade your laptop's graphics card, don't even try

It's running a GTX 220m graphics card, while I'm able to run games I'm definitely pushing the envelope. It's really just time for me to upgrade - is the IdeaPad Y410 a decent but? They have a 'save 480$' special going on right now and I'm really really close to pushing the button.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/

It's the one for 769$. Supposedly from tech support they said upgraded the graphics card is quite possible as well in case I want to do that within the year.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Has anybody recently ordered something from XoticPC.com? I found a nice laptop I'm thinking of grabbing and they seem cool but I'd just like some goon testimonial.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've use them before and I trust them. I went through kind of a weird ordering process and they helped me through it completely.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Bigbillthaboss posted:

It's running a GTX 220m graphics card, while I'm able to run games I'm definitely pushing the envelope. It's really just time for me to upgrade - is the IdeaPad Y410 a decent but? They have a 'save 480$' special going on right now and I'm really really close to pushing the button.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/

It's the one for 769$. Supposedly from tech support they said upgraded the graphics card is quite possible as well in case I want to do that within the year.

I have one (so do many people in this thread, read the last 10 pages or so for a lot of information on the y410p and y510p).

If you do buy it, spring the extra cash for the screen upgrade. 1600x900 is worth it.

At the time I bought it, my version was $829, but there was a coupon online that brought it down to $799, so look out for one of those. Also, buy through Fatwallet and you can pick up 5% cash back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I understand there's a special type of SSDs that fit in laptops? Is there a recommended one?

Most SSD's are 2.5", so they are the same size as a laptop hard drive. If you want to put one in a desktop you can either tape it down or get a 3.5" adapter

That said, some thinner laptops require you to use a 7mm thickness drive, not 9.5mm thickness. Some drives have a removable spacer to change the size, or else you need to buy the 7mm model (some SSD's come in 7mm and 9.5mm sizes, but have the same guts.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

You're probably referring to MSATA drives, they are really only used in ultrabooks. If your laptop only takes MSATA drives then the regular SSDs like above will not work/fit.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 14, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SSD thread is here. Just don't buy a lovely OCZ drive.

Most/many ultrabooks have mSATA now which is basically a regular ssd drive without the metal box around it. They cost the same, within 5%. The Yoga has two mSATA ports and no regular ports.

Additional SSD discussion can go here:

:pcgaming: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454120 :siren:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Don't most ultrabooks use a proprietary drive and mSATA is a nice bonus for bigger laptops?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
My wife is looking for a laptop and doesn't want to spend very much money at all. I know everyone is just going to say "just spend more and buy (a thinkpad, or whatever is recommended now)" - I agree, but my wife doesn't, and insists that I not do this, so I am looking for something around Chromebook price range, like under $300.

She has a smartphone, and wants a laptop basically for web browsing at home, but also for things like Office work, being able to write significant emails, youtube, setting up picture collections, etc. She also wants a screen that's 14" or bigger. But she is not going to be running any intensive programs, but at the same time, she wants something that will be zippy enough for what she is doing.

A tablet seems like it's out because she doesn't need it for traveling or couch-surfing - smartphone is good for that - and it's too much of a hassle to do anything significant with it. I was thinking about a Chromebook, but the 14" one is like 300ish, and at that price range, it seems like it might be worth going for a Windows machine, because Chrome OS seems annoying, although Windows 8 seems like a bummer as well...

Any ideas? I was looking at Craiglist, but I just don't want to get something used that is going to die or be too slow or worn out.

And again - I already understand that goon wisdom dictates that extra money be invested and a nicer laptop be purchased. I agree, but it ain't happening.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sendo posted:

You're probably referring to MSATA drives, they are really only used in ultrabooks. If your laptop only takes MSATA drives then the regular SSDs like above will not work/fit.

I'm almost surely going to get the Ideapad Y410p (14 inch) unless something better comes out before the end of September.

I saw a few mentions of people putting SSDs on them, but I'm not sure if they were MSATA or just regular SATA.

I have a regular 2.5 inch 240gb SSD on my current desktop that I could easily take out, so if I can use that, it'd be fantastic.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Doghouse posted:

Sub $300 laptop

Last year I got my dad a $350-ish Asus X54C at Best-Buy. It came with a 15-inch screen, Windows 7, a low-end i5, around 4gb of DDR 2 RAM, and a 500gb 5400rpm drive. Other than the drive being a bit slow, it's pretty much perfect for everyday office/internet use. It's even got HDMI out and handles 720p content perfectly.

You might have luck checking there.

Edit: poo poo, double post. Sorry.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doghouse posted:

My wife is looking for a laptop and doesn't want to spend very much money at all. I know everyone is just going to say "just spend more and buy (a thinkpad, or whatever is recommended now)" - I agree, but my wife doesn't, and insists that I not do this, so I am looking for something around Chromebook price range, like under $300.

She has a smartphone, and wants a laptop basically for web browsing at home, but also for things like Office work, being able to write significant emails, youtube, setting up picture collections, etc. She also wants a screen that's 14" or bigger. But she is not going to be running any intensive programs, but at the same time, she wants something that will be zippy enough for what she is doing.

A tablet seems like it's out because she doesn't need it for traveling or couch-surfing - smartphone is good for that - and it's too much of a hassle to do anything significant with it. I was thinking about a Chromebook, but the 14" one is like 300ish, and at that price range, it seems like it might be worth going for a Windows machine, because Chrome OS seems annoying, although Windows 8 seems like a bummer as well...

Any ideas? I was looking at Craiglist, but I just don't want to get something used that is going to die or be too slow or worn out.

And again - I already understand that goon wisdom dictates that extra money be invested and a nicer laptop be purchased. I agree, but it ain't happening.

I'd look into buying a used computer off of craigslist or something - laptop or desktop. Then you'll be in your price range and also don't have to deal with windows 8. Otherwise, look for refurbs on the dell and lenovo outlets as well as newegg, etc.

Stuff like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100017489%2040000032%204016&IsNodeId=1&name=Laptops%20%2f%20Notebooks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019095+40000010+4016&IsNodeId=1&name=All+Desktop+PCs&Page=1

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 14, 2013

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So, at the threads suggestion, I think I'm going to get a Lenovo ThinkPad T430 i5. I was just wondering, however, while it's most certainly not a computer with gaming in mind, could it play WildStar Online, the new MMO coming out? I want something somewhat cheaper and more durable than my Asus k53s, which broke twice before I decided to replace it, so im probably still going for the ThinkPad, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want to do a little gaming on it.

etcetc
Apr 22, 2013
I'm looking for a $500 laptop for college and light gaming (LoL, pretty much nothing intensive). I am a computer science major so I will need it to compile code and other developery things. It would be cool if I could take notes on it as well with a stylus to draw figures and graphs.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well I got my T530, and first impressions are really positive. The only downside so far has been my inability to uninstall Norton Internet Security. God what a piece of poo poo that software is. You basically need a malware tool to get rid of it. Speaking of does anyone know of one?

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
CCleaner should do the trick, uninstall and delete the registry entry and you've effectively neutered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I have a regular 2.5 inch 240gb SSD on my current desktop that I could easily take out, so if I can use that, it'd be fantastic.

The y410 takes standard 2.5 inch drives so any standard SSD will work with it.