Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The flicker reminded me that no one ever had the refresh rate of their CRTs set properly!

Oh, the default 45 Hz Windows 98 sets it to? Yeah, I'm sure that's fine. Even a poo poo graphics card and monitor combo could do at least 60! The worst was when I'd point it out to someone, up it to 75 HZ or more if I could, and they 'd respond with,
"I don't notice a difference."

WHAT?! Are you blind!? :pwn:

I got chewed out once because the computer CRASHED when the moment I clicked "OK" (the person was complaining about sore eyes). Windows 98 never ceased to amaze me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Flipperwaldt posted:

If that's a chiclet keyboard, then what do you people call this?

We actually bought a chiclet keyboard for our ZX81 so we could type more easily! Something like this:
(from wikipedia)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

cowtown posted:

(you could use the built-in debugger to quit to the Finder).
Holy hell, instructions on how to modify the contents of memory straight from the manufacturer. Now that's obsolete, or at least old school.

Reminds me a bit of the "exit to DOS" from old versions of Windows. It was actually nice when the registry became corrupt on my Win98 install. I had a .bat script that made a backup of the entire registry onto my storage HDD, so I could restore them (via DOS bootup) when it got screwed up.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The flicker reminded me that no one ever had the refresh rate of their CRTs set properly!

Oh, the default 45 Hz Windows 98 sets it to? Yeah, I'm sure that's fine. Even a poo poo graphics card and monitor combo could do at least 60! The worst was when I'd point it out to someone, up it to 75 HZ or more if I could, and they 'd respond with,
"I don't notice a difference."

WHAT?! Are you blind!? :pwn:
I used 60Hz on a 17" CRT for 5+ years until a friend of mine said how he went crazy over it. Then I noticed it too, and I think I either went to a lower resolution (and high refresh rate) or bought a better monitor soon after that could do 100Hz.

So glad CRTs are dead and gone.

Pilsner has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Aug 13, 2013

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Lancia Orca

Nice feature on digital dashboards of the 80s over on DRB

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Well, can't help post some more of those 80's digital dashes then. They're classics in AI.

Subaru XT

Subaru Leone

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Fozaldo posted:

Lancia Orca

Sweet mercy that's ugly. I can appreciate the utility of having all of the controls right there on the steering wheel, but it also shouldn't look like one of those toddler toys where the kid hits a button and it plays an animal noise or something.

I do find the digital gauges oddly compelling, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Fozaldo posted:

Lancia Orca

:stare:

Words cannot express how much I want to drive that car.

I pretty much always pretend I'm piloting a spaceship as it is, that would only complete the feel.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pilsner posted:

Well, can't help post some more of those 80's digital dashes then. They're classics in AI.

Subaru XT

If you get rpm and turbo up to max does the car disappear leaving burning tire marks and you get to go back in time and hit on your own mother?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dear god, I need a "SPEED ALARM" for my car right away.

Also if any of those cars still existed in obtainable and driveable form, I would buy one just because.

They don't still exist do they...? Execpt in some weird nerds impregnable underground mountain fortress? :ohdear:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Also if any of those cars still existed in obtainable and driveable form, I would buy one just because.

They don't still exist do they...? Execpt in some weird nerds impregnable underground mountain fortress? :ohdear:

Maybe not enough time has passed for people collecting/restoring 80's cars to be a Big Thing?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can't tell if that's sarcasm

But those cars don't strike me as the type anyone would want to collect or restore

Edit:

Content, many pages ago the discussion of the 'turbo' button on the old 486's came up.

Funny thing is my current PC also has a turbo button, on the motherboard.

It actually does up the clock speed, and multiplier and whatever else.

Blue On Blue has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Aug 13, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

Ask AI, maybe in the "AI Stupid Question Thread II -- cigarette-flicking free zone". Odds are somebody is in love with one or more of those cars and will know if they're available very often.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Subaru XTs are very much a thing. Niche, but a thing.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ask AI, maybe in the "AI Stupid Question Thread II -- cigarette-flicking free zone". Odds are somebody is in love with one or more of those cars and will know if they're available very often.

I'm an AI goon. The only one of those cars I've seen in the US is the Subaru XT. I remember when they came out and I see them around every so often. Someone in AI owns one. Every so often, I'll see one for sale.

So, they're not common, but far from unobtanium. When you do find them, they're not expensive. I can't imagine that a perfect example with virtually no miles would be more than $10k. Keep your eyes on Craigslist and be prepared to travel.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_XT

einTier has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Aug 14, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've seen quite a few XTs in the northwest [Oregon and Washington]. Not super common, but not super rare either.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Oooh...I want to play too!

The dashboard of my Cadillac Allante'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7v80sSlPFw

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Can't tell if that's sarcasm

But those cars don't strike me as the type anyone would want to collect or restore

It wasn't at first, but now it is. Seriously, gently caress most late 70's-through-the-80's designs. We did some awful things to four wheels with a combustion engine back then, drat.

There are some people who like the things, though. I saw this thing about people collecting AMC Gremlins that attempted to explain the draw of it, and I still failed to see whatever allure there was. They're fascinating, almost endearingly bad cars, but god just let 'em die. Not everything needs to be preserved.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

It wasn't at first, but now it is. Seriously, gently caress most late 70's-through-the-80's designs. We did some awful things to four wheels with a combustion engine back then, drat.

There are some people who like the things, though. I saw this thing about people collecting AMC Gremlins that attempted to explain the draw of it, and I still failed to see whatever allure there was. They're fascinating, almost endearingly bad cars, but god just let 'em die. Not everything needs to be preserved.

I think the Gremlin looks kind of neat in its own way. If anything, I'd say gently caress the generic blob-sedan of the late 90s through today. Oh boy, another Ford Taurus! And on the other hand, I loved the look of my red 2002 Hyundai Accent.

If something exists, there's probably a forum somewhere with some number of fanatics with their own weird set of in-jokes.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.

Goober Peas posted:

Oooh...I want to play too!

The dashboard of my Cadillac Allante'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7v80sSlPFw

OOhhh Nice! My mom has an Allante as well, so I know these noises very well haha. As far as I heard only around 2000 were made (or was that how many still existed)

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

The Aston Martin Lagonda is a great digital dash. An amazing looking car with all digital instruments - in 1976 - which cost a phenomenal amount to develop. Naturally no thought was given to the actual readability of the thing. Like most digital dashes the designers seem to have got themselves so excited by the concept that they forgot what makes analogue gauges so easy to read.

The LED speedo and rev counter developed a reputation for unreliability (shockingly). Here's some in action in a series II car. I don't know if these are supposed to be broken or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_-e5PuKtss

For the later models they were replaced with little CRTs, which developed a reputation for unreliability.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think the Gremlin looks kind of neat in its own way. If anything, I'd say gently caress the generic blob-sedan of the late 90s through today. Oh boy, another Ford Taurus! And on the other hand, I loved the look of my red 2002 Hyundai Accent.

If something exists, there's probably a forum somewhere with some number of fanatics with their own weird set of in-jokes.

Autoshite is a good one. They were recently congratulating a member who bought (and travelled hundreds of miles for) one of the few Ford Tempos in Britain.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Man, digital dashes are like electric can openers. What problem were they trying to solve? And why would you have digital display sans digital information? --There's no fuckin' computers in the older ones. It's worse than the too-cute driver interfaces on full-sized German cars, which at least offer some benefits after you learn them instead of being pointlessly hard to use.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mescal posted:

Man, digital dashes are like electric can openers. What problem were they trying to solve? And why would you have digital display sans digital information? --There's no fuckin' computers in the older ones. It's worse than the too-cute driver interfaces on full-sized German cars, which at least offer some benefits after you learn them instead of being pointlessly hard to use.

I like my little digital section in the corner. :( You can change it to show like four different things!

I remember reading a magazine in the 90s that predicted we'd all be using projected HUDs on our front window by now.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

leidend posted:

I remember reading a magazine in the 90s that predicted we'd all be using projected HUDs on our front window by now.
I'm 100% sure that in the late 90's I saw a TV ad for a luxury sedan that had a heat vision HUD for night driving. In the ad, the driver narrowly avoids hitting a deer thanks to it. Thinking back on it, I must be mistaken, but the memory is very strong. Am I crazy?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

burnsep posted:

I'm 100% sure that in the late 90's I saw a TV ad for a luxury sedan that had a heat vision HUD for night driving. In the ad, the driver narrowly avoids hitting a deer thanks to it. Thinking back on it, I must be mistaken, but the memory is very strong. Am I crazy?

Cadillac introduced an infrared HUD for the 2000 model year, but it was expensive (almost $2500) and sold poorly. By 2004 it was selling fewer than 600 units per year, and GM killed the option. Since then a few other manufacturers have tried their luck, to mixed (and usually limited) success.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

leidend posted:

I like my little digital section in the corner. :( You can change it to show like four different things!

Oh, I think it's great that lots of cars have a little digital section that shows ODO, or Trip, or MPG and so on. But that's functionally a slightly customizable analog display--and there's a good reason that most cars made today have dashes that at least appear to be analog.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Fozaldo posted:

Lancia Orca

I had a Vauxhall (or GM/Opel/Holden, depending on where you are) Astra GTE in the '90s. Bezzing it along to the sounds of The Prodigy. It was like playing Gran Turismo. Anyone who saw it though it was cooler than the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXM2C4tBrUU

leidend posted:

And we were promised nightvision too.

I met someone who worked at BMW who told me that HUDs never materialised because if you lose your electronics, you're hosed. And having it on top of regular instruments would create a redundancy because why display the same information twice. Also, you'd need a special type of glass or reflector panel, adding to the expense. This was a few years ago and I'm not sure if advances in tech has made it more of a possibility today.

But I rather think techs like Google Glass with integration to your car is more of a possibility than a HUD.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

My mother had an 80's Thunderbird with a digital dashboard that took advantage of being digital and just showed the speed as a number, and was pretty barebones compared to the overcomplicated ones people are showing off. Nothing fancy, just a big number lit up in the middle of the dash. I thought it was awesome when I was little because it was way easier for me to read than the usual needle.

Here's a picture of the kind she had:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Code Jockey posted:

I've seen quite a few XTs in the northwest [Oregon and Washington]. Not super common, but not super rare either.

Good call. I forgot how popular Subarus are up there. Here's an XT for $1200. It's rough, but it's all there.

[edit]
drat. They didn't all have that digital dash, and this one doesn't have it either. Neither does this one for $1750.. Still, as I said, when you find them, they're really cheap.

einTier has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Aug 14, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Chunk5 posted:

I met someone who worked at BMW who told me that HUDs never materialised because if you lose your electronics, you're hosed.
That doesn't quite make sense, because in any modern car, the instruments are electronic, so no instrument display without power. In older cars the speedo was driven by cable.

I believe the argument for HUDs is that you can see how fast you're going without having to "peek" down at the speedo, but eh, it's not really a problem when it comes down to it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I have to say, the digital speedometer in my (recent vintage) car is pretty nice. Its not heads‐up, but its pretty close. Its right under the windscreen and focused at a comfortably far distance.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I drove a friends '09 Civic for a little while, and I couldn't get used to the digital speedo at all. I'll admit, it wasn't due to shoddy engineering on Honda's part, I just couldn't get used to numbers changing in my peripheral vision. My daily driver was an early-80's Volvo at the time, though, so even air conditioning or a functioning radio was mind-blowing to me.

Thanks to Fozaldo for sharing that link. I have a deep-seated love for 80's futurism in automotive design and this article hit all the right spots

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Zonekeeper posted:

My mother had an 80's Thunderbird with a digital dashboard that took advantage of being digital and just showed the speed as a number, and was pretty barebones compared to the overcomplicated ones people are showing off. Nothing fancy, just a big number lit up in the middle of the dash. I thought it was awesome when I was little because it was way easier for me to read than the usual needle.

Here's a picture of the kind she had:

My first ever car was a hand-me-down from my dad to my older sister and then to me, it was an '84 Thunderbird and I honestly thought the digital speedo was kind of cool. Mine displayed in bright green (I think)and was the only part of the car that I didn't consider to be a huge piece of poo poo. The first car I ever bought for myself was an '89 Nissan 240sx and it also had a digital speedo as well as a completely redundant HUD speedo which, being in working condition as late as 2009, somehow added a couple hundred bucks to the resale value of my car. Don't knock the digital readouts man!

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Chunk5 posted:

I had a Vauxhall (or GM/Opel/Holden, depending on where you are) Astra GTE in the '90s. Bezzing it along to the sounds of The Prodigy. It was like playing Gran Turismo. Anyone who saw it though it was cooler than the car.

I love the digital-esque font on the distinctly non-digital odometer. The AM Lagonda's odo was one thing they didn't trust to the electronics. It was analogue and hidden under the bonnet.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Yond Cassius posted:

Cadillac introduced an infrared HUD for the 2000 model year, but it was expensive (almost $2500) and sold poorly. By 2004 it was selling fewer than 600 units per year, and GM killed the option. Since then a few other manufacturers have tried their luck, to mixed (and usually limited) success.

HUDs were fairly common on late 80s/early 90s Japanese market Nissans. They didn't work particularly well though and were soon forgotten about

If you're really in love with the idea there are cellphone apps that can achieve the same effect if you strap the phone to the top of the dash facing the windscreen

e. probably not the most relevant post to quote

dissss has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Aug 14, 2013

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB

dissss posted:

there are cellphone apps that can achieve the same effect if you strap the phone to the top of the dash facing the windscreen

This is fuckin smart. My dad will really misses the HUD from his old car and will love this.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Horace posted:

I love the digital-esque font on the distinctly non-digital odometer. The AM Lagonda's odo was one thing they didn't trust to the electronics. It was analogue and hidden under the bonnet.
I always thought this was because of laws or the fact that people wouldn't trust a digital readout. I remember the first ones appeared and it was an odd feeling for me -- it felt like it would be very easy to modify the display for false readings. Seems silly now, but I had an odd reaction to it at the time.

In regards to heads up displays, the Corvette has had one as an option since 1998. My 2005 had the speedometer, tachometer, navigation, and a g-meter built in. Worked amazingly well.

[edit]
Apparently, there are a lot of cars with HUDs. Who knew?

einTier has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Aug 14, 2013

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

My first ever car was a hand-me-down from my dad to my older sister and then to me, it was an '84 Thunderbird and I honestly thought the digital speedo was kind of cool. Mine displayed in bright green (I think)and was the only part of the car that I didn't consider to be a huge piece of poo poo.

I think my older brother had a Thunderbird like this. Did they have an 8-track in them? I know my brothers did, it was the last functioning 8-track I played with.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Pilsner posted:

That doesn't quite make sense, because in any modern car, the instruments are electronic, so no instrument display without power. In older cars the speedo was driven by cable.

I believe the argument for HUDs is that you can see how fast you're going without having to "peek" down at the speedo, but eh, it's not really a problem when it comes down to it.

As I said, it was a while ago when I had the chat. So they may well have found solutions in the meantime. I haven't needed a car in years, so I don't keep up with these things.

But yeah, HUDS certainly aren't essential. It's not as if you're fixating on any one thing like fighter pilots do/did. When you're driving you are meant to split your attention every now and again with your mirrors, instruments, etc. So peeking is meant to be a part of a driver's skill set.

einTier posted:

In regards to heads up displays, the Corvette has had one as an option since 1998. My 2005 had the speedometer, tachometer, navigation, and a g-meter built in. Worked amazingly well.

[edit]

There you go. I didn't know, evidently. And there's nightvision too, hurrah! Albeit on posh German motors.

It's odd how HUDs are thought of (at least for me) as 'future tech' that becomes standard. As an optional extra, it's not pushed as hard. I suppose fuel efficiency and green techs are the bigger fish that needs frying, for obvious reasons.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

einTier posted:

[edit]

If your car doesn't have one as an option there are even off the shelf add-on HUDs that pull data off the OBD port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

einTier posted:

I always thought this was because of laws or the fact that people wouldn't trust a digital readout. I remember the first ones appeared and it was an odd feeling for me -- it felt like it would be very easy to modify the display for false readings. Seems silly now, but I had an odd reaction to it at the time.

[edit]

What's the highest G you've pulled?