Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So, what's the thought from moreso local folks on the somewhat big seeming Atlanta Eats Live shindig come October 6?

http://atlantaeatslive.com/

It seems like solid value in terms of massive amount of foods from a few dozen places for $125, and I guess enough intrigue at the VIP $250 level to ensnare at least some folks---though I guess I just can't get a mental image going of such a thing going down in a amphitheatre versus sprawled out across some blocks someplace.

The show has resulted in a good many hungry moments on most weekends for the past 2 seasons, often times places I've never heard of, so I can definitely get behind the sentiment/prospect of delicious madness if they can pull this off well enough to make it an annual thing with another 2 seasons worth of outfits in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
While I like many of the restaurants involved, I'd only be interested in the food portion of the event, which isn't really worth $125 to me. I've been to many of the restaurants many times and I imagine the food they would prepare for such as event would not be on the same level as what they serve at the restaurants due the limitations imposed by cooking at or preparing for such as event.

I also hate crowds and can't stand Steak Shapiro's voice, so that's a big roadblock for me.

But if you go, have fun.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Went to Gunshow tonight (tonight's menu above) and really enjoyed it. For whatever reason, Kevin Gillespie was not there tonight, so I was a bit disappointed I wouldn't be trying any of his creations or preparations.

I really enjoy the concept, but there are some drawbacks to it. Since the menu basically changes every week, I imagine the menu items as a whole are not as refined as it could be if there were more of a regular menu. About half of what I ate was good, but not excellent, and had parts of the dish that I really liked and had parts that didn't work for me. Also, since dishes come out when they're ready, at one point I had three dishes backed up at my table, and so when I got around to eating them, they had cooled a little from ideal temperature.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience and will go back. It is definitely worth a try if you are intrigued by the concept.

drat son, you put that menu through its paces! nice work. I really agree about the refinement and temperature issues too.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Got to try new BBQ place Righteous 'Que in Marietta last night. I had ribs, the wife had a brisket sandwich. I haven't had barbecue that moist in a long time, I believe the ribs only came off the smoker hours before. They have a nice tomato-based sauce and the rub on the meat is quite good. I have not had Fox Bros or Community though, so I couldn't tell you how it stacks up.

Coleslaw was too bland for me but I am incredibly picky about 'slaw. Mac and cheese was good and the beans were the best I've ever had (and I don't really care for baked beans much). They make everything from scratch except their potato salad, apparently, including banana pudding which I'm sure will be a highlight on our next visit.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

FordCQC posted:

They make everything from scratch except their potato salad, apparently, including banana pudding which I'm sure will be a highlight on our next visit.

What a strange item to be the only thing they don't make themselves.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Honestly I took it to mean they hadn't come up with a recipe yet more than anything, but I agree it was a strange omission.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

FordCQC posted:

Got to try new BBQ place Righteous 'Que in Marietta last night.

Hell, that's close enough to my work for a longish lunch one of these days, I'll have to give it a try.

The coleslaw at Old South is my favorite. So simple, but so goddamn good. Wasn't all that much of a coleslaw fan before I tried theirs, and now I'm always vaguely disappointed whenever I try the slaw anywhere else.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

venutolo posted:

I went to King + Duke about a month ago. I sort of had mixed feeling about it. Some of the food we had was great, and some was just okay. One of our desserts was exceptional, and the other was a complete mess. It is very Buckhead-y, which I hate. It is the type of place I might visit two or three times a year.

I agree. The food was really well executed, nothing wrong per se. It was all good, but missing the giant WOW factor in its flavor profile. The food was definitely not something I've now got a craving for. I think we all felt this way. It was a cool place though, along with the awesome wood grills in the open kitchen.

Does anyone have any seafood suggestions? We went to Goin' Coastal last week and want to try more places like that (aka, no lovely Atlantic Salmon joints).

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

dennyk posted:

Hell, that's close enough to my work for a longish lunch one of these days, I'll have to give it a try.

The coleslaw at Old South is my favorite. So simple, but so goddamn good. Wasn't all that much of a coleslaw fan before I tried theirs, and now I'm always vaguely disappointed whenever I try the slaw anywhere else.

How tangy is it? Most coleslaw isn't tangy enough for my taste.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

FordCQC posted:

How tangy is it? Most coleslaw isn't tangy enough for my taste.

Yeah, that's my problem too. I'm not a fan of cream-based dressings on my veggies (with the exception of a proper Caesar, of course); I like tangy vinaigrettes. Old South's slaw isn't made with mayo; the cabbage, etc. is chopped really fine and soaked in what is basically slightly sweetened vinegar. It's amazing.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
Appreciate the tips. Didn't end up making it out to try eating at any of these suggestions as I was swamped with work... ended up just ordering from this place in Buckhead called Grand China instead (http://grandchinaatl.com/) and was very pleasantly surprised. Good prices, portions, and quality, I thought (coming from NYC) and eating it at my desk. Next time I'm in town, I will for sure be trying Chef Liu's.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Atlanta Magazine's new issue contains their best new restaurants list:

Bantam + Biddy
BoccaLupo
Campania
Chai Pani
Gio's Chicken Amalfitano
Gunshow
Himalyan Spice
King + Duke
KR Steakbar
Umi

and they named The General Muir their (new?) restaurant of the year.

Overall I think it has been a great year for ATL restaurant. I can't recall adding as many new restaurants among my favorites in my time in Atlanta.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Crazy, I've driven past that Campania place before (I work way out there) and just assumed it was a bad Neapolitan knock off and not something actually good. I'll have to check it out.

On a separate note, I went to Gato Arigato last night and it was pretty good. The tofu gyoza and hamachi sashimi were excellent. The spicy miso ramen was just okay, as I found the broth to be lacking; the shiso ramen was really good, however. The noodles were excellent.

Definitely recommend checking it out, but a couple things to note: 1) it's BYOB, and 2) it's a small space and there's no AC, so it can get a bit hot. Worth trying for ramen in the city, though.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
I went to Saltyard, a tapas place in Buckhead, last weekend with some friends. We split about 10 or so different plates and everything was amazing. Some favorites:

Thai style ceviche with coconut milk
Grilled octopus, incredibly tender
Albondigas with smoked almond romesco was my favorite, specifically the romesco sauce.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I imagine it is highly unlikely anyone has an answer to this...

Does anyone know of any place in the Norcross area that has good gnocchi?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I've heard good things about RosaMia, if your definition of "Norcross" is broad enough. Haven't been there myself, though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yuck, horrible experience at flip westside this evening. hadn't been in 6-8 months. the menu got even dumber, prices had been edged up, the place was relatively empty (I think 6 tables?) food was as mediocre as ever, and had some hilariously bad service - the kind you can't even get remotely upset at because it's just too absurdly funny.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

yuck, horrible experience at flip westside this evening. hadn't been in 6-8 months. the menu got even dumber, prices had been edged up, the place was relatively empty (I think 6 tables?) food was as mediocre as ever, and had some hilariously bad service - the kind you can't even get remotely upset at because it's just too absurdly funny.

I still have yet to go to Flip, but they're turning HD1 into one, so I'll probably finally check it out when the patio finishes.

Also, I went to Campania this weekend and it was quite good. Had the Margherita DOC and the Arugula & Prosciutto, and the Margherita was the better of the two. The latter just had too much arugula making it too bitter, though there was definitely a healthy portion of prosciutto that made up for it somewhat. Otherwise it's a real solid pizza. I wouldn't go out of your way to get it, but if you happen to be in the area it's probably the best thing around.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

Agreed! Last time we went, it was 70% empty, and you're right about the dumber part. The food was more reminiscent of a 'state fair carnival' than a cutting edge burger joint. Besides the greasy as hell food, it was so-so. There's no reason to go here anymore, as Farm and Yeah Burger blow this place to bits.

venutolo posted:

I imagine it is highly unlikely anyone has an answer to this...

Does anyone know of any place in the Norcross area that has good gnocchi?

Norcross lunch places are not foodie havens, as we both know. ha! However, this place probably serves some Sysco gnocchi if you're in the mood: http://www.mamboitaliano.net/ Figo by Perimeter Mall would be the best choice, but it's not that close.

For Norcross, check out this Indian buffet place that opened less than a year ago. It's stupid authentic, tiny hole in the wall, and very good (all veg). I also built the temporary website, so go here goons!
http://www.rajdhaniatl.com/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Norcross lunch places are not foodie havens, as we both know. ha! However, this place probably serves some Sysco gnocchi if you're in the mood: http://www.mamboitaliano.net/ Figo by Perimeter Mall would be the best choice, but it's not that close.

For Norcross, check out this Indian buffet place that opened less than a year ago. It's stupid authentic, tiny hole in the wall, and very good (all veg). I also built the temporary website, so go here goons!
http://www.rajdhaniatl.com/

I keep forgetting that Dunwoody/Sandy Springs is reachable for lunch, so I hadn't even considered looking for good pasta in that area. I'll give that Figo a go sometime soon. While Norcross may not be a "foodie haven", it does benefit from being near lots of good ethnic food, so while I may have a hard time finding good gnocchi, I have no issue finding Vietnamese/Korean/Japanese/Mexican/etc.

I've been to Rajdhani about a half dozen times and rather enjoyed it.

My current infatuation with gnocchi comes after eating some very good gnocchi dishes as The General Muir, Cakes & Ale, and BoccaLupo. When done well and paired with a good protein, I really love a good gnocchi dish.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I keep forgetting that Dunwoody/Sandy Springs is reachable for lunch, so I hadn't even considered looking for good pasta in that area. I'll give that Figo a go sometime soon. While Norcross may not be a "foodie haven", it does benefit from being near lots of good ethnic food, so while I may have a hard time finding good gnocchi, I have no issue finding Vietnamese/Korean/Japanese/Mexican/etc.

I've been to Rajdhani about a half dozen times and rather enjoyed it.

My current infatuation with gnocchi comes after eating some very good gnocchi dishes as The General Muir, Cakes & Ale, and BoccaLupo. When done well and paired with a good protein, I really love a good gnocchi dish.

do you cook much? If so, try this pepin recipe for ricotta gnocchi. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/ricotta-dumplings-with-red-pepper-sauce/print

well, maybe not the red pepper sauce - I just cook the dumplings and then eat them with a stew usually - lamb shank and white wine I think works particularly well.

it's sort of a more difficult dish (hence the do you cook much) - the proportions of flour to ricotta are a bit hard to nail down - you definitely want to test one or two and add more flour if they're too gloopy. good recipe though, I hardly find myself wanting gnocchi at restaurants anymore (or potato gnocchi at all really) because I just remember how good these ricotta ones are and get misty eyed.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

do you cook much? If so, try this pepin recipe for ricotta gnocchi. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/ricotta-dumplings-with-red-pepper-sauce/print

well, maybe not the red pepper sauce - I just cook the dumplings and then eat them with a stew usually - lamb shank and white wine I think works particularly well.

it's sort of a more difficult dish (hence the do you cook much) - the proportions of flour to ricotta are a bit hard to nail down - you definitely want to test one or two and add more flour if they're too gloopy. good recipe though, I hardly find myself wanting gnocchi at restaurants anymore (or potato gnocchi at all really) because I just remember how good these ricotta ones are and get misty eyed.

I used to cook a lot, but not as much any more as I have less time and more money to spend on eating out. Mostly I'm looking for good food to eat a lunch during the week (when cooking isn't an option).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I used to cook a lot, but not as much any more as I have less time and more money to spend on eating out.

yeah, it's interesting how that works. :I

my grocery habits have gotten particularly bad as my income has increased. I still cook as much or more as when I was less well off, but I buy more expensive ingredients, and am a lot worse about eating leftovers. I'll just decide I'm bored of what I ate last night and go out or cook something else. I guess I end up eating the leftovers eventually like 50-60% of the time, but the rest of the time I'm just ashamed when I eventually throw something out, and generally feel like a horrible person. loving money.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I started eating out more as my salary increased, but I still cook a fair amount. Moving to downtown Decatur sure has not loving helped. Should I cook, or go to one of the billion awesome restaurants four blocks from my apartment?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I know it will be a controversial statement, but having money is pretty great.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

antisodachrist posted:

I started eating out more as my salary increased, but I still cook a fair amount. Moving to downtown Decatur sure has not loving helped. Should I cook, or go to one of the billion awesome restaurants four blocks from my apartment?

I work in the middle of downtown Decatur, so it'll be hard. Some great places for lunch though. :unsmith:

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Going to Bacchanalia on Saturday. I am debating going with the full wine pairing. It will be my Waterloo.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The two pairings I had at my birthday dinner there last year were excellent. I just don't have the tolerance to put away more than a couple glasses of wine over the course of a dinner, though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mammon Loves You posted:

Going to Bacchanalia on Saturday. I am debating going with the full wine pairing. It will be my Waterloo.

start drinking as much as you can tonight and tomorrow night to start to prepare.

it's not an epic amount of alcohol, but I drink a shitload and felt comfortably drunk after a few pre-dinner drinks and a full wine pairing. someone without a tolerance would probably be in full drunk mode.

the half pours are just insulting though, go big or go home :)

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
So Bacchanalia was great but I regret going with the suggested wine pairings. Because of the dishes I picked I ended up with 3 dessert wines that night which was way out of balance. I should've noticed that and picked out my own pairings. The veal sweetbreads were perfect and if you leave when the Star Provisions bakery is closing they'll give you as much free bread, cookies and cupcakes as you can carry away.

The whole thing was overshadowed by the fact that 2 days later I went to Le Pigeon in Portland, got the chef tasting and ended up having the best meal I've ever eaten in my life. First World Problems :qq:

Mammon Loves You fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 10, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that's a totally valid critique actually, and one I completely forgot about. last time I went I (now) remember not agreeing with or liking all of the pairings or whatever, so I asked if I could swap out ones on other courses (even some wines not on dishes I was choosing at all) - they said of course it would be fine and swapped them. but yeah, whoops, sorry.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Have any of you guys ever tried the H&F burger at Turner Field? How does it compare to the original?

I got a free ticket with a $10 meal voucher through a friend of mine and spent a fair amount of the ~30 minute wait talking up the burger and the homemade condiments etc.

It was dry, overcooked and lovely. The ketchup was the best part. Please, somebody tell me I just got a bad one. Tell me that this isn't the platonic ideal of the cheeseburger I've been led to anticipate.

Otherwise I'm going to have to go wait for another two hours at Ann's Snack Bar to get the taste of compromise out of my mouth, and who has the loving time for that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stalizard posted:

Have any of you guys ever tried the H&F burger at Turner Field? How does it compare to the original?

I got a free ticket with a $10 meal voucher through a friend of mine and spent a fair amount of the ~30 minute wait talking up the burger and the homemade condiments etc.

It was dry, overcooked and lovely. The ketchup was the best part. Please, somebody tell me I just got a bad one. Tell me that this isn't the platonic ideal of the cheeseburger I've been led to anticipate.

Otherwise I'm going to have to go wait for another two hours at Ann's Snack Bar to get the taste of compromise out of my mouth, and who has the loving time for that.

haven't tried the turner field one, but the real one is the juciest thing imaginable burger wise, so it probably just sucked.

I split a burger with some folks a couple weeks ago and its drippingness with juicy grease was basically the first thing everyone commented on.

as far as overcooked though, they do cook it 100% grey to get a good sear on it, so if you're expecting pink, not this one...

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

mindphlux posted:

haven't tried the turner field one, but the real one is the juciest thing imaginable burger wise, so it probably just sucked.

I split a burger with some folks a couple weeks ago and its drippingness with juicy grease was basically the first thing everyone commented on.

as far as overcooked though, they do cook it 100% grey to get a good sear on it, so if you're expecting pink, not this one...

Because of these two posts, I just randomly decided to get the H&F burger at the Braves game today. We walked thru the gates and saw the sign for it; and it sparked my memory of reading this thread just the other night.

And there was almost no line, so I just walked up there, and in 5 minutes, had a double stack, fries, and a coke. It was really juicy and tasty, and I pretty much inhaled the burger as I was starving and it was already 1:30 and the game had started. It had really thinly cut onions and pickles and two slices of cheese. It's the kind of burger you need to eat wrapped up, and you lick your fingers while you do.

I'm really not sure the whole thing is worth $15, but it was probably better than most anything at the game. The homemade ketchup was pretty good, but my son ate most of the fries. I know they can't use glass bottles, but I'd love if they gave you the classic coke glass bottle. It'd give it more of that classic American feel to it.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 16, 2013

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Finally got around to visiting Gunshow yesterday. I was extremely pleased with all of the dishes and the service was smooth and efficient. The chefs were able to provide the complete variety of dishes at exactly the right pacing (my table of 5 split a single of each dish). Kevin's Sunday Roast beef was simply the most divine piece of meat I've put in my mouth :smuggo:

However, I'm not sure how well this concept works with smaller groups or couples since I wanted to try every single dish on the menu, turning away a dish would be so difficult! Definitely a fantastic addition to the ATL scene, and makes up for a less than stellar experience I had at The Optimist a month ago.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

What is the name of the korean/taco place kind of northwest of midtown? My brother took me there and I thought it was great. I want to take some coworkers there for lunch one day while we're in town but I can't remember the name.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kiresays posted:

What is the name of the korean/taco place kind of northwest of midtown? My brother took me there and I thought it was great. I want to take some coworkers there for lunch one day while we're in town but I can't remember the name.

Hankook.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Or Takorea, which is in Midtown and owned by the same people.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

WaterIsPoison posted:

less than stellar experience I had at The Optimist a month ago.

What did you find wrong with The Optimist? I was planning on going there next week for my birthday dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Mammon Loves You posted:

What did you find wrong with The Optimist? I was planning on going there next week for my birthday dinner.

The bar was extremely slow at getting our drinks out and most of the mains tasted off. I had the poached swordfish and you could tell that it wasn't very fresh. The appetizers were quite good though. I'd go again though to see if it was just a fluke since everyone else seems to have enjoyed the place.