Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

My sister knows a college art professor who quit her job and went back to school for another degree because, in her words, she "couldn't take another goddamned clay vagina."

Out of morbid curiosity: where they sculpted or casted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Both, but mostly cast from life. Apparently every semester at least one student would give the professor one of her ("her") castings as a gift at the end of the class. :stonklol:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was going to post a response, but Sagebrush is so spot on that I don't really have much to add.

By all means break the rules, but don't use your complete lack of skill and talent as an excuse to do poo poo that a crazy homeless person would do and act like a pretentious turd about it because you are dying for attention. That poo poo is the worst.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Aug 14, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love outsider art, but you know, the best ones are great because they're not trying super hard to be outsiders, they're just kinda damaged humans doing what they think is normal.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Posted his stuff on the deviantArt thread ages ago, but here it is again.

Be sure to check out more of his gallery.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

wetlegs, go to bed.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Does anyone know if the Angry Beavers/ Brian from Family Guy fan live in Portland? I went to Voodoo Donut today and there was a very large donut with a well drawn Norbert on it

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Does anyone know if the Angry Beavers/ Brian from Family Guy fan live in Portland? I went to Voodoo Donut today and there was a very large donut with a well drawn Norbert on it

I want to say he's from New Zealand.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

TheFatTubist posted:

When I was doing the music thing in CC, I ran into something pretty similar. It's like hardcore music students get tired of hearing traditional chord structures, melodies, harmonies, rhythms, etc, and they end up listening to and performing stuff that would dare the listener to try and glean any kind of comprehensible musical idea from it. At some point, (in a true personal anecdote) I was talking to a dude in a practice room when someone else in the practice room tripped and hit the keyboard of a piano and made a god-awful cluster of tones. The dude stopped mid sentence, opened his eyes wide, and demanded to know what notes were hit. I even went through this phase were music with any kind of beat (or any semblance of a plodding pulse to keep time) started to annoy the gently caress out of me and I would try and find stuff that was purely textural.

I think, possibly, the same thing happens with other art. After so many years of drawing straight lines and perfect circles, the paint brush up the rear end finally sounds like a liberating and fresh idea. And stuff like this just isn't for general consumption, but rather for other artists.

Man this is so true. The more involved I am with musical projects, the more eclectic my tastes get. I don't do anything music related anymore and jam to rap and pop stations now, it's like an inverse correlation. Or maybe I'm just old now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Freakshows like that guy always seem to migrate here. Go away, we are weird enough without your weird sexual poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheFatTubist posted:

When I was doing the music thing in CC, I ran into something pretty similar. It's like hardcore music students get tired of hearing traditional chord structures, melodies, harmonies, rhythms, etc, and they end up listening to and performing stuff that would dare the listener to try and glean any kind of comprehensible musical idea from it. At some point, (in a true personal anecdote) I was talking to a dude in a practice room when someone else in the practice room tripped and hit the keyboard of a piano and made a god-awful cluster of tones. The dude stopped mid sentence, opened his eyes wide, and demanded to know what notes were hit. I even went through this phase were music with any kind of beat (or any semblance of a plodding pulse to keep time) started to annoy the gently caress out of me and I would try and find stuff that was purely textural.

I think, possibly, the same thing happens with other art. After so many years of drawing straight lines and perfect circles, the paint brush up the rear end finally sounds like a liberating and fresh idea. And stuff like this just isn't for general consumption, but rather for other artists.

This might be the best summation. There definitely is art that exists solely for other artists.

Sagebrush posted:

There are two completely different contexts here, though.

Context #1 is an artist like Picasso. A brilliant technical draftsman for many many years who later decided to try exploring other things, "breaking the rules" because he understood them so well already and wanted to do something new. It still actually takes a huge amount of skill to create art like Picasso's even if it isn't realistic.

Context #2 is the sophomore art student. They see something like Picasso's work, or more likely something lie Piss Christ (which was a photographic piece by a skilled photographer not just a crucifix in a bottle of urine) and they don't see a learned master experimenting with new ideas -- they see something bizarre and shocking. So they interpret "bizarre and shocking" as what made the art great, and start getting paint enemas and making GBS threads all over a canvas.

My sister knows a college art professor who quit her job and went back to school for another degree because, in her words, she "couldn't take another goddamned clay vagina."

This is true, but I know far too many people whose boundary of what's acceptable is basically renaissance art. Like, you're putting Piss Christ in #1 when I feel like the average person would be more likely to put it into #2. There is also the fact that a large part of what makes Piss Christ good art IS the fact that it was intentionally and so successfully bizarre and shocking. If it was just a crucifix in some yellow jam named Jam Christ then you would have never heard of it because it's not that compelling. It's the fact that it was pee and that he specifically put the word "piss" in the name rather than urine or pee that made it what it was. The problem isn't that they're taking the wrong message, the problem is that what was bizarre and shocking in 1987 is no longer bizarre and shocking so people smearing poo poo on a canvas just look like assholes rather than people challenging the art establishment. If someone wanted to challenge the art establishment today they'd probably have to create something really simple and earnest with genuine emotion and conviction behind it. Everything is so disaffected and too-cool-for-school anymore. That might explain why folk music has become so popular.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

At least he had the sense to only use one o rather than two, which the majority of the Internet struggles with, for some reason.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

The two girls on the right side totally look like the drugged out girls in the gif of a concert audience. I'm sure someone knows what gif I mean.

E: found it

I am almost positive I saw that blonde girl doing stand-up comedy at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival last week. She even had a bit about making weird faces like that.

She was the worst kind of comedian, one that figures if you're just really loud and crass, it's funny. The punchline to one of her jokes was literally just "gently caress off Grandma, you wrinkled old bitch!" She's Australian, of course.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I want to say he's from New Zealand.

Yeah he lives in Auckland, NZ. I picked up that he was from NZ in the original posts, and I wanted to check he wasn't in my city. Auckland can keep him.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

thylacine posted:

...prototypes for what millions of men will be like when robot sex machines are commonplace...

Wait a second. Vibrators are fine but sex robots are a step to far?
Where do we draw this arbitrary line?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Grogsy posted:

Please tell me you're being facetious and I missed it or something.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Grogsy posted:

Around a $20 price point.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

DicktheCat posted:

Please tell me you're being facetious and I missed it or something.

The comment was intended humorously. The line is not arbitrary as there is quite a bit of a difference between a vibrator and a sex robot (whatever they inevitably end up looking like).
Although I think you could technically classify a vibrator as a robot it would be a bit of a stretch. But that was the idea since if they are both robots, then where any why is this arbitrary line drawn?

However I have nothing against people using those pillow thingies. Nor would I have anything against people using sex robots.

Bad Sneakers posted:

Around a $20 price point.

clever :)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Grogsy posted:

First to defend the sex robots shall post a picture of theirs!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Invest in yourself, and also what you masturbate with.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

I fear we are derailing the thread, but feel free to make a new one somewhere (where could we even discuss this!?). Might make for an entertaining discussion...if a bit too hypothetical...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I use good old fashioned terrifying looking blow up dolls. gently caress all that robot poo poo.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

NESguerilla posted:

I use good old fashioned terrifying looking blow up dolls. gently caress all that robot poo poo.

Whatever happened to the good old fashioned mason jar full of mashed potatoes?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ez posted:

Do go on.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
The problem I have with most "Art for Art's Sake" that's done today is that I believe art should communicate something, even if (like Dada) that message is "gently caress You," while I'd hazard to guess that 90% of the vagina paintbrush people aren't actually communicating anything other than "I am brilliant and therefore sticking a squirrel-hair filbert in my cooter is automatically brilliant too."

The other 10% are either trying to say "Yeah, that, only ironically, and you actually paid to get here you morons," or "I'm Yoko Ono". (No nudity but :nms: anyway.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heh. That is actually what I was referring too earlier when I was talking about stuff that annoyed me. That's actually Shigeko Kubota not Yoko Ono though.

This is more hilarious than awkward because of the commentary (actually Bill Burr IS pretty awkward) but I still think it belongs in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss0XNOWvzlU

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Aug 14, 2013

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Ez posted:

It's called American Pie.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I never thought it was possible for a wireless network to be awkward. Until today, that is.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Behold, the saviors of the White race.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ulvir posted:

I never thought it was possible for a wireless network to be awkward. Until today, that is.

I'm not seeing it. Are you reading Meatmarket grill as meatmarket girl?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

:stare:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

NESguerilla posted:

M'lady Oslo :ssh:

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

NESguerilla posted:

beaten

Rambling Robot has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Aug 14, 2013

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
nm

\/ Thanks :)

SpliffClavin has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Aug 14, 2013

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

drat, beaten again

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Grogsy posted:

This reminds me of a conversation I had with MY WIFE not too long ago about sex toys. I had made a crack about something looking like a Fleshlight, and she said "eww, those things are so gross". I was surprised, since she used to work in an adult video store and is not exactly conservative. So I asked why vibrators are cool and normal and not weird but a personal masturbation device for men was gross and not cool. Because you put your weiner in it and it collects spunk was the deciding factor according to her.
For the record I don't really care either way. I have no problem with women (or men) using vibrators or cock-sleeves or whatever; I just though it was interesting how two devices used for pretty much the same purpose could elicit such different reactions. I think the question above about drawing the line is actually pretty valid.

Fake Edit: I do feel that sexbots are over the line, but I couldn't say where that line is.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Everything This Guy is Doing: Not Even Once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

If someone told me that picture was taken 5 minutes before he died, I'd believe it.

• Locked thread