Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I have to look at XML all day for my job (mostly pregenerated though) and it makes me want to claw my eyes out. How do you cope?

Guess I need to start sneaking a hip flask of gin in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nvining posted:

A little late but here is a blog post on Tags and Events:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/08/08/tags-and-events/

... if you think you see anything on our front page, you're probably imagining things.

I love these blog posts. I'm so definitely buying this game once it's out.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Seems like an odd reason to remove a category for technical excellence. Even if someone could use Unity, you don't just download it and press the 'make game' button (unless you're making a slenderman zombie game for Steam greenlight, I guess), you still have to turn that basic framework into something useful. I know Arcen games (AI War, etc.) pretty much uses Unity for all their games, but they've beaten it into many various shapes over the years. But what do I know, I'm not an expert judge of excellence in indie games. :shrug:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

nvining posted:

... if you think you see anything on our front page, you're probably imagining things.

I either missed or forgot what FSM was an acronym for, and my brain fell back on "Flying Spaghetti Monster".

Which is as accurate a mental image of how programming works as any other, I suppose.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Dareon posted:

I either missed or forgot what FSM was an acronym for, and my brain fell back on "Flying Spaghetti Monster".

Which is as accurate a mental image of how programming works as any other, I suppose.

"Finite State Machine". See the rather elderly:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/02/choices-choices/

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You know I'm not sure that ALL corpses should lose the horror tag.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Haha, yeah my first thought on reading a horror tag was modding a corrupted rat that's of minor annoyance until one of your citizens kills it, at which point its flesh explodes into five dimensions gaining the horror tag until eventually it decays from the visible dimensions.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

nvining posted:

Instead of collecting awards for your technical excellence, maybe you can collect licensing fees for your excellent middleware :)

Do the non-base weights in the utility section modify the base weight after being multiplied by their input? Is that what I'm seeing?

So when evaluating whether to make a bed, if the saw is too far from the wood and the drop location, the negative combined weight will cause the job to be skipped?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I hope citizens will be able to go on a homicidal rampage using some technically excellent improvised weapons.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

Instead of collecting awards for your technical excellence, maybe you can collect licensing fees for your excellent middleware :)

Do the non-base weights in the utility section modify the base weight after being multiplied by their input? Is that what I'm seeing?

So when evaluating whether to make a bed, if the saw is too far from the wood and the drop location, the negative combined weight will cause the job to be skipped?

Base weight = whatever. (Usually, exponential according to Maslow's Hierarchy: so 1000 is work, 100 is 'less important work', 10 is 'idle and gossip', etc.) Then, other things are either added to, or subtracted from, that, based on the multiplier. So what you'd be seeing here is a base weight of 1000 - (distance to saw) - (distance to drop site).

I don't think we explicitly skip a job with negative weights; it's just that "idle and gossip" jobs will take precedence as their weight is pretty much always positive. It seems to work well enough, anyhow.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I could stop leaning against this lamppost, but I'm only assigned mining, and my pickaxe is waaaaaay over there...

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"

Dareon posted:

I could stop leaning against this lamppost, but I'm only assigned mining, and my pickaxe is waaaaaay over there...

I find myself imagining Priority Inversion: The Game as a difficulty mode.

"Your citizens are especially poor at planning these days, following indulgence in Strange Fruits. Try to arrange their lives such that this is less problematic for them, bearing in mind that unattended citizens may ultimately turn to violence to satisfy minor needs".

... actually, this sounds exactly like Dwarf Fortress if it had more exclusive resources. I think I may have had a very similar problem with my tailors.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Dareon posted:

Probably still okay, actually. Leaning against a lamppost (say) has a utility of about 10, and mining type jobs have a utility of about 1000. Right now one simulation world is 512x512 (although they might get larger) which means the maximum distance you can actually be from your pickaxe, assuming your lamppost is on one side of the world and your pickaxe is on the other side, is 724. So you still end up with about a utility of 300 for "finding your pickaxe and doing some damned mining."

(Also, randomly: the mining job is actually decoupled from the pickup job. What isn't mentioned in this week's blog post is that jobs can have requirements that cannot be filled, but where another job can fill them - i.e. dependency resolution. This handles stuff like "grabbing your pickaxe" - your mining job requires that you already *have* a pickaxe, and you determine how useful the job is based on the distance to the mine. If your most useful job is mining and you don't have a pickaxe, you look for a job that will give you a pickaxe - namely, picking up a tool. The user, of course, should notice none of this...)

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

nvining posted:

dependency resolution.

That's my kind of Technical Excellence. Thanks for the continuing peeks into the design and systems of the game. I'm sure that other programmery goons enjoy them as much as I do.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
One thing I love reading about is developer buglogs. Have you had any times where you compile the game, test it out, poo poo goes crazy and you have a good laugh before going back to the code? So many of those events are lost to time.

Like when Toady (Dwarf Fortress) was trying his new jumping code but got the speed multiplier wrong and slammed into a mountain.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Evilreaver posted:

One thing I love reading about is developer buglogs. Have you had any times where you compile the game, test it out, poo poo goes crazy and you have a good laugh before going back to the code? So many of those events are lost to time.

Like when Toady (Dwarf Fortress) was trying his new jumping code but got the speed multiplier wrong and slammed into a mountain.

Which sort of reminds me of my favorite bug report cum tongue-in-cheek sideplot in NOLF, where one of the mooks has fallen out of the level due to an error in level geometry, and the funeral is being held tomorrow.

But yes, this might make an excellent blog post, and I'd love to hear about how the you managed to accidentally make lava-men storm out of the sea only to fizzle immediately as the water caused the lava to harden.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Most of these show up on the Twitter, but notable highlights recently have included:

- people's heads falling off during their deaths but leaving their bodies intact (which later became a feature)
- chickens climbing the tallest mountains they can find in game and then laying an enormous series of game-crashing eggs
- people getting trapped in cactuses
- people being interrupted while tree-chopping, having pleasant conversations, and then starting to hack away at their friends with an axe
- Where's Waldo: http://t.co/dPSb0NAfKo (you'll see it eventually...)

For the most part, though, it's mainly boring error messages and/or crashing.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

- chickens climbing the tallest mountains they can find in game and then laying an enormous series of game-crashing eggs

Unless they are laying iron chairs you still have much coding to do. :colbert:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Can you expand on this please? As it sounds pretty strange. :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

Most of these show up on the Twitter, but notable highlights recently have included:

- people's heads falling off during their deaths but leaving their bodies intact (which later became a feature)
- people getting trapped in cactuses
- people being interrupted while tree-chopping, having pleasant conversations, and then starting to hack away at their friends with an axe
- Where's Waldo: http://t.co/dPSb0NAfKo (you'll see it eventually...)

For the most part, though, it's mainly boring error messages and/or crashing.

Aside from the "heads falling off" part I don't think we've heard of any of the others, and I'd love to hear about them :allears:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

Since you're already using Lua (or something that looks very much like it, at any rate) for stuff like entity properties, why is there still XML all over everything? Why not just use Lua everywhere?

Volmarias posted:

Aside from the "heads falling off" part I don't think we've heard of any of the others, and I'd love to hear about them :allears:

Ditto, I love reading bug reports like this.

nvining
May 30, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Since you're already using Lua (or something that looks very much like it, at any rate) for stuff like entity properties, why is there still XML all over everything? Why not just use Lua everywhere?

Mainly for things that we want to keep in C++. Writing stuff in Lua is all very well, but you sort of either have to keep dipping in and out of the interpreter to grab the information, or you have to write a C++ parser to parse the stuff loaded from Lua, which is sort of equally gross. So XML it is. Plus, we have a toolchain from Dredmor.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

nvining posted:

This sounds more like a feature than a bug, assuming that tree-chopping was going on near a Perfectly Safe obelisk or ruin of some sort.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

Mainly for things that we want to keep in C++. Writing stuff in Lua is all very well, but you sort of either have to keep dipping in and out of the interpreter to grab the information, or you have to write a C++ parser to parse the stuff loaded from Lua, which is sort of equally gross. So XML it is.

:confused: No manual parsing needed - for simple key-value stuff you can iterate with lua_next and stuff everything into a std::map or similar, and for more complicated things you can hand Lua a C++ object to manipulate/functions to call (the bindings for which can be generated automatically) and when lua_pcall returns, everything is set up.

quote:

Plus, we have a toolchain from Dredmor.

That makes a lot of sense, though.

nvining
May 30, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

:confused: No manual parsing needed - for simple key-value stuff you can iterate with lua_next and stuff everything into a std::map or similar, and for more complicated things you can hand Lua a C++ object to manipulate/functions to call (the bindings for which can be generated automatically) and when lua_pcall returns, everything is set up.

I dunno, man - that still sounds like work. :)

nvining
May 30, 2011

Loading bays!

... Vehicles?

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/08/14/from-the-humble-loading-bay-all-things-follow/

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Perhaps the perfectly safe Steam Lorry controls work by changing the speed of each wheel akin to a tank?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So what I'm getting is that properly constructed factories can have multiple input/output slots you create and can have a mini-stockpile near each input/output slot for the appropriate doodad.

If that is correct, loving excellent.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Triskelli posted:

Perhaps the perfectly safe Steam Lorry controls work by changing the speed of each wheel akin to a tank?

If you include flesh bricks in the lorry's construction, two more levers appear on the console and the boiler converts from accepting coal to high-efficiency human teeth, as per the recent energy discovery by Dr. I. A. Bandersmoot of the Queen's Academy for Industrial Dentistry.

"At least three brickes must be used to produce the desired effectes. Do notte use more than ten, lest the lorry become self-fueling."

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 14, 2013

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Triskelli posted:

Steam Lorries are Holy, Blameless Creatures.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
The placement of the boiler directly behind the operator is a nice touch.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I am curious how much of this is going to be automated for me. (Hopefully lots of it) While I appreciate the intricate details of moving bits and gubbins from one place to another in the colony, I don't want to get into a situation where I need stuff to build a new orphan grinder but the bricks are sitting at a factory on the other side of town, and the boards are spread out amongst three different warehouses, and the orphans are all over the place, and I have to assign people to get them all. I'm assuming my role is just going to be saying 'build that there' and then the townsfolk will leap into action (or take laudanum and walk into the sea) and gather all the supplies and bring them to the right spot automatically. Like every sort of management game, there's that magic spot between too much macro, where there's nothing for me to to do, and too much micro, where I have to supervise the delivery of each and every nail. Somewhere in-between there is the fun.

nvining
May 30, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

I am curious how much of this is going to be automated for me. (Hopefully lots of it) While I appreciate the intricate details of moving bits and gubbins from one place to another in the colony, I don't want to get into a situation where I need stuff to build a new orphan grinder but the bricks are sitting at a factory on the other side of town, and the boards are spread out amongst three different warehouses, and the orphans are all over the place, and I have to assign people to get them all. I'm assuming my role is just going to be saying 'build that there' and then the townsfolk will leap into action (or take laudanum and walk into the sea) and gather all the supplies and bring them to the right spot automatically. Like every sort of management game, there's that magic spot between too much macro, where there's nothing for me to to do, and too much micro, where I have to supervise the delivery of each and every nail. Somewhere in-between there is the fun.

Short answer: we agree with this statement and we are aware of it (and it's most of our design philosophy.)

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Having the option of extreme micro control though can be really great in games like this, when the AI has got itself into some kind of loop/jam and you can see exactly what is needed to unfuck it but your only option is to demolish half your town and start over because you can't tell that one dude to stop trying to pile logs into the store and unblock the path so the cart can get through and empty the store so that...

Obviously in an ideal world such things would never happen, but I've yet to play any kind of managment/city building game that dosen't have such fustrations pop up now and again. More control is never a bad thing, just make it so that automation is runing in the background but you can dive in manualy to smooth over the occasional hickup.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Obviously in an ideal world such things would never happen, but I've yet to play any kind of managment/city building game that dosen't have such fustrations pop up now and again. More control is never a bad thing, just make it so that automation is runing in the background but you can dive in manualy to smooth over the occasional hickup.

If nothing else, a 'Drop whatever you are doing and go HERE' button, combined with some form of movement that didn't need to worry about people and things occupying doorways and streets, would help hugely.

EDIT: Are we going to have to worry about producing pallets? Because last I remember, some unholy ridiculous two-digit percentage of global hardwood production was devoted to pallets and nothing but pallets, and keeping that up for your colonies in areas that aren't absolutely covered in forest seems a little hard.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 14, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

nvining posted:

Short answer: we agree with this statement and we are aware of it (and it's most of our design philosophy.)

Excellent, just go ahead and make those royalty checks out to 'Cash' then.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I appreciate the gumption in trying to dominate the Time To Crate competition, but I suspect someone has already made it to 0 seconds. Sorry old boy, time to pack it in.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Also, hovering Civilian Transport Cubes which emit a soft screaming as they deliver goods through means unknowable should totally be an Eldritch Artifact From Out of Time What Causes Insanity type of thing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So i suffer from a fear of wasps and, upon suffering that today and its following mild panic attacks (Not sleeping does wonders for decaying your mental fortitude down to "wee toddler" status), i found myself thinking of your game! How does this relate? I have no idea!

To the point: I'm wondering if you're going to have similar personality quirks?

Something on the line of "John Smith: Quirks - Fears the bulbous Frogtoad's something dreadfully. Enrages at the sight of an unploughed field." and the appropriate psychological harm it will cause when it starts raining Frogtoads on the unploughed fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

If nothing else, a 'Drop whatever you are doing and go HERE' button, combined with some form of movement that didn't need to worry about people and things occupying doorways and streets, would help hugely.

Integrate it into the story mechanics. Every time the powers from on high "ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL" the worker in question loses a bit of sanity from foreign thoughts being inserted into his brain.

• Locked thread