Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

PittTheElder posted:

No. In EU3 you couldn't take a capital unless it was either a full annex, or the capital was isolated from all other provinces.

I think I also got the Causus Belli systems from Victoria and CKII mixed up in my head. EU III didn't have as strict a system.

A poorly documented feature (aka "How you know it's a Paradox game."):
How do you join in a Crusade in EU IV? The papal controller (Castille) called for a crusade agains Morocco. Portugal joined the crusade. I, as England, can't find a way to do that. I've checked the diplomacy screens for Portugal, Castille, the Papal States, and Morocco and can't find an option. If I got to DOW Morocco directly, it says I have no CB.

Which sucks, because I desperately want some provinces in Morocco to extend my colonization range.

Speaking of, how am I supposed to reach the New World? I unlocked the colonial idea tree. I have colonists and I have the advance that extends my colonial range - which still falls well short of the Caribbean, North America, and Africa. Asking Portugal for basing rates in the Azores still doesn't get me close enough to colonize the New World or Africa. Thoughts and suggestions? It will be many decades before I'll get the extra few techs to get the next advancement in colonization range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
How is the save converter working for you guys? It keeps on hanging on me.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Has someone converted that SKELETONS ck2 scenario over to EU4?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Loving EUIV so far but I suck at combat. My instinct is to just keep throwing armies at a singe enemy army until it's worn down but it doesn't seem to be working at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

Loving EUIV so far but I suck at combat. My instinct is to just keep throwing armies at a singe enemy army until it's worn down but it doesn't seem to be working at all.

Go for single decisive battles. Group up all of the forces you can into a single army and then start trying to pick off the AI armies. If you can't defeat their strongest stack, try to pick off the smaller ones first. Unlike EU3, it does a better job of protecting them, though, so beware. Generally speaking, war is done in two phases, phase one being where you hunt down and destroy the enemy armies, and phase two being where you siege their provinces. Things don't always work out like this but it's the easiest way to conduct war.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Using the old phrase "gently caress it." I decided to get EU4. Are the tutorials any clearer this time? I did them in CK2 and Vicky 2, but they were only better than previous games so they were still trash.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

No. In EU3 you couldn't take a capital unless it was either a full annex, or the capital was isolated from all other provinces.
We were talking about EU4 though? I've managed to take Lübeck from the Hansa, and it's obviously not isolated from its other provinces, and screenshots and videos have shown Austria taking the province of Venice without taking the rest. I don't know if there are other rules in play as well though, which there might very well be.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Go for single decisive battles. Group up all of the forces you can into a single army and then start trying to pick off the AI armies. If you can't defeat their strongest stack, try to pick off the smaller ones first. Unlike EU3, it does a better job of protecting them, though, so beware. Generally speaking, war is done in two phases, phase one being where you hunt down and destroy the enemy armies, and phase two being where you siege their provinces. Things don't always work out like this but it's the easiest way to conduct war.
Sometimes it's better smash your actual target, quickly siege their poo poo, and then reform in preparation for their allies to join in. Depends a lot on who's actually in the war though, it's probably mostly for when you're kind of outclassed, but acting fast is going to allow the warscore tick up while you defend against them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't check for myself at the moment due to not having EU4 installed yet, and I've got limited time at the moment to read through the last five or so unread pages (I did read through the last couple though, and couldn't see this being asked): How does the CK2>EU4 converter handle revolts? Do the revolting counties get made completely independant, independant with war status against their former liege, or straight up re-absorbed into the country they were revolting from? Since I just thought I should check, since I'd like to know if I should make sure to settle any outstanding "disputes" before converting my save.

EDIT: vvv Alright then cool, thanks for clearing that up!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 14, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Major Isoor posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't check for myself at the moment due to not having EU4 installed yet, and I've got limited time at the moment to read through the last five or so unread pages (I did read through the last couple though, and couldn't see this being asked): How does the CK2>EU4 converter handle revolts? Do the revolting counties get made completely independant, independant with war status against their former liege, or straight up re-absorbed into the country they were revolting from? Since I just thought I should check, since I'd like to know if I should make sure to settle any outstanding "disputes" before converting my save.

Completely re-absorbed. I converted one with the King of England only having about 6 counties left under his control and his country was completely unified in EU4. No idea if he still had rebel troops to deal with but I doubt it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We were talking about EU4 though? I've managed to take Lübeck from the Hansa, and it's obviously not isolated from its other provinces, and screenshots and videos have shown Austria taking the province of Venice without taking the rest. I don't know if there are other rules in play as well though, which there might very well be.

Is it isolated just by land perhaps? In my first game tonight, I definitely had to isolate Novgorod before I could take that province, and I had a mission to take it. Maybe you need a legit core?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Is it isolated just by land perhaps? In my first game tonight, I definitely had to isolate Novgorod before I could take that province, and I had a mission to take it. Maybe you need a legit core?
Well, I managed to take Lübeck without even a claim, but I did have it disconnected from its other provinces over land then. That said, I think it even showed up as a possible province to grab when the Hansa had Lauenburg as well, though I can't say if the game would actually have allowed me to take it. All I think we can say for certain is that it's less strict than EU3. Could be that there are different triggers for allowing it, which would make a lot of sense.

E: Welp, used the Take Capital CB on the Hansa (which I think comes from the Revolution vs. Counter-Revolution idea), but even at 100% warscore I didn't get an option to take their capital. Not much point to that CB then.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 14, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, I managed to take Lübeck without even a claim, but I did have it disconnected from its other provinces over land then. That said, I think it even showed up as a possible province to grab when the Hansa had Lauenburg as well, though I can't say if the game would actually have allowed me to take it. All I think we can say for certain is that it's less strict than EU3. Could be that there are different triggers for allowing it, which would make a lot of sense.

E: Welp, used the Take Capital CB on the Hansa (which I think comes from the Revolution vs. Counter-Revolution idea), but even at 100% warscore I didn't get an option to take their capital. Not much point to that CB then.

The take capital CB is used to change their government form. It doesn't let you grab their capital, it just means the war goal is to occupy their capital.

As to taking capitals, you can now take coastal capitals if they own no other territory bordering it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

The take capital CB is used to change their government form. It doesn't let you grab their capital, it just means the war goal is to occupy their capital.

As to taking capitals, you can now take coastal capitals if they own no other territory bordering it.
See, I suspected that, but the drat thing says that you're allowed to conquer their capital as well. It really shouldn't do the whole 'Conquest of: Hamburg, East Frisia' thing if it didn't mean you could actually take this provinces separately. If it's to indicate that Hamburg can be taken in an annexation, then add a Conquest of: The Hansa - Full annexation tool tip as well.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I sure hope the excommunication casus belli is clearer now. I don't think it was mentioned anywhere in EU3 that you can only take provinces that are in your culture group from the excommunicated country. Nothing like painting France red only to realise you have to conquer everything at full infamy.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I think there was someone who was looking for a good mod and here is one of them right now WOWERS!
It's called My Little WW2:Death is Magic
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?709545-My-Little-WW2-Death-is-Magic
:ponies: Anyway I think the Modern Day scenario is a good choice although it's rather slow and it takes far too long to get new units. It is very event heavy and lots of wars happening. but the Iraq war seems to be very slow in the most recent version, Novapaddy said that it's WAD but I don't want to see the USA white peace with Iraq all the time.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

synertia posted:

Using the old phrase "gently caress it." I decided to get EU4. Are the tutorials any clearer this time? I did them in CK2 and Vicky 2, but they were only better than previous games so they were still trash.

The beauty of it is that the interface is now a lot better and there's a tooltop for every button and function. You can almost skip the tutorial since the new interface does a good job at explaining everything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The hint function isn't bad either, you can click on stuff and it tells you about that particular function. Didn't help me with my missionary strength question, but it's nice that it exists.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

synertia posted:

How bad were previous tutorials then? Because I did the CK2 ones and they were utter garbage. They were just one paragraph text entries that told you nothing about the tutorial in question.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Really, really bad. The EU3 ones didn't even work after the first or second expansion.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Things I Have Learned About EUIV:

This being a video game about the Age of Sail, dismantling the entire Castilian navy at the start of the game because the maintenance costs seemed high was quite possibly the dumbest thing I could have possibly done. I only realized this when the benefits of blockading enemy coastlines became apparent to me as my attack on Grenada dragged on for years with their ports completely open while Morocco pounded mine with carracks. And when I realized it'd take decades to rebuild my fleet.

I didn't get why my warscore was so low after taking all of Grenada before I realized that I didn't need 100% war score anymore to make the AI listen to me, and pumping warscore sky high is for tacking on extra CBs in the peace deal. I really wish CK2 had a system like this now.

Rebels, so far, aren't just a game of whack-a-mole anymore - Portugal had two Peasant Rebellion stacks running around for a decade chokeslamming all resistance and besieging most of its provinces.

Vassalizing a kingdom peacefully requires +190 relations when I can barely squeak out +90 so far. How the hell do you get it that high? :iiam:.

Aragon is full of a bunch of backstabbing, claim-jumping pricks.

When you're recovering from an unexpectedly disastrous war effort with a net gain of one rebellious province, your stability suddenly drops to -2, you get a 0/0/0 ruler, and you still have no navy, it's probably best to just restart.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Daeren posted:

When you're recovering from an unexpectedly disastrous war effort with a net gain of one rebellious province, your stability suddenly drops to -2, you get a 0/0/0 ruler, and you still have no navy, it's probably best to just restart.

This is what the improve diplomatic realtions task is for, you acess it under the "realtions" tab of the diplo menu and it send one of your diplomats off to the country in question. He gets you a unilateral improvment of their opinion of you for as long as you leave him there or untill it hits +200, in which case he comes home automaticaly.

E: Also dont you dare badmouth Aragon, salmon is the colour to be.

Rudi Starnberg fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 14, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Daeren posted:

Just roll with the punches. You don't get a game over for succumbing to rebels or falling behind for a bit, and there is PLENTY of time to recover.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, although as I'm mostly concerned about EU4 on this matter, I thought I should ask here.

Anyway, has anyone tried using the new CK2 customizer to change the name of a kingdom, then export that save to EU4? If so, does the custom name remain, or does it revert to the default? Since I was thinking I might get it to change the name of my republic of Ireland to better reflect its decentralized/spread out nature before exporting it, although if it doesn't remain upon being export, I'll probably just wait for a sale to get it. (So yeah, it's pretty minor, but I thought I might as well ask)

Thanks

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 14, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Daeren posted:

I really wish CK2 had a system like this now.
Speaking of things that need to be backported to CK2, I would pay money to have the EU4 siege system instead of the CK2 event popups.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Daeren posted:

a 0/0/0 ruler

I see Charles II decided to grace Spain as he did in reality.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

For anyone still playing Darkest Hour, are there any mods besides Kaiserreich and Hohenzollern that are worth a look-see?

A Communist Germany is amusing from an alt-history perspective; recruit Trotsky as a minister and win the world for the Fourth International.

edit: beaten but leaving it since I actually linked to it! :effort: However it looks like Mixed Mod includes it as well, so, welp. Just so this post actually has value, here's the mod you really were looking for.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 14, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I see Charles II decided to grace Spain as he did in reality.

Not quite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_IV_of_Castile This guy is the heir to the throne in Castille at game start. Presumably he's the one Daeren meant.

"Henry the Impotent."

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I started up a game as England thinking it would be a safe, vanilla way to get to know the systems and then straight up I had the War of the Roses happen. Been great to play through - gently caress you Edward Lancaster ~*HoUsE yOrK 4 Lyfe*~

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Patter Song posted:

Not quite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_IV_of_Castile This guy is the heir to the throne in Castille at game start. Presumably he's the one Daeren meant.

"Henry the Impotent."

Yep, Enrique IV de Trastamara. Funny enough, his reign involved decentralization of power into the hands of nobility, but in all the events I've had so far I've been mashing the "piss off nobles, give me more power" buttons.

Status report: Granada's conquered, Aragon's still pissy, Navarra loves me, Morocco has a black eye, and now I'm waiting for this crippled motherfucker to die so I can get more progress toward Quest for the New World.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Daeren posted:

Things I Have Learned About EUIV:

This being a video game about the Age of Sail, dismantling the entire Castilian navy at the start of the game because the maintenance costs seemed high was quite possibly the dumbest thing I could have possibly done. I only realized this when the benefits of blockading enemy coastlines became apparent to me as my attack on Grenada dragged on for years with their ports completely open while Morocco pounded mine with carracks. And when I realized it'd take decades to rebuild my fleet.

I didn't get why my warscore was so low after taking all of Grenada before I realized that I didn't need 100% war score anymore to make the AI listen to me, and pumping warscore sky high is for tacking on extra CBs in the peace deal. I really wish CK2 had a system like this now.

Rebels, so far, aren't just a game of whack-a-mole anymore - Portugal had two Peasant Rebellion stacks running around for a decade chokeslamming all resistance and besieging most of its provinces.

Vassalizing a kingdom peacefully requires +190 relations when I can barely squeak out +90 so far. How the hell do you get it that high? :iiam:.

There's no upper limit to how far you can improve relations with a vassal. With normal nations you can only hit +100 before your guy says I can't do it anymore but with vassals I've gotten it up to 140+ from that modifier alone so that I could annex.

And yeah rebels can be a huge loving deal, my Mughal game is in a death spiral because I have no manpower and the rebels just keep coming.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Major Isoor posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, although as I'm mostly concerned about EU4 on this matter, I thought I should ask here.

Anyway, has anyone tried using the new CK2 customizer to change the name of a kingdom, then export that save to EU4? If so, does the custom name remain, or does it revert to the default? Since I was thinking I might get it to change the name of my republic of Ireland to better reflect its decentralized/spread out nature before exporting it, although if it doesn't remain upon being export, I'll probably just wait for a sale to get it. (So yeah, it's pretty minor, but I thought I might as well ask)

Thanks

I think it remains if the tag doesn't have an equivalent. So the Duchy of Aquitaine would import to EUIV as Aquitaine. If you renamed it to Isoorland, it would import to EUIV as Isoorland, because Aquitaine doesn't exist in EUIV, so it's depending on the CKII localization to name the EUIV nation. But France exists in both games, so even if you changed the CKII localization it would probably still import as 'France'.

But it's really easy to go to the EUIV mod and change the localization.

Oddly, converted saves are saved in the CKII directories. Go to My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/eu4_export/mod/YOUR MOD/localisation and open up converted_countries_l_english.yml in a text editor and change the name to whatever you want. Literally about two minutes work, even if you've never modded a Paradox game before.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I think it remains if the tag doesn't have an equivalent. So the Duchy of Aquitaine would import to EUIV as Aquitaine. If you renamed it to Isoorland, it would import to EUIV as Isoorland, because Aquitaine doesn't exist in EUIV, so it's depending on the CKII localization to name the EUIV nation. But France exists in both games, so even if you changed the CKII localization it would probably still import as 'France'.

But it's really easy to go to the EUIV mod and change the localization.

Oddly, converted saves are saved in the CKII directories. Go to My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/eu4_export/mod/YOUR MOD/localisation and open up converted_countries_l_english.yml in a text editor and change the name to whatever you want. Literally about two minutes work, even if you've never modded a Paradox game before.

Excellent, thanks! Just what I wanted to hear. :D (Also, is it unusual in late-game CK2 for the AI to form the Wendish Empire and then go on a rampage taking large portions of Scandinavia and the entirety of England? Since I've never kept playing into the 1400s, and this just happened... I think it'll certainly make for an interesting EU4 game, at least! EDIT: Oh, and Gotland becoming a fairly major European power too, heh.)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 15, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Raneman posted:

What causes prestige decay? My decay just starts slowly growing and the tooltip offers no help. How can I curb it?

Prestige decay is how EU works. The basic idea is that you only get high prestige when you've been doing prestigious things recently; your old glories are slowly forgotten. Hence, decay.

In practice, in EU3, you could end up at 100 prestige basically all the time, after a few years into the game. Not sure how EU4 is.

Daeren posted:

Rebels, so far, aren't just a game of whack-a-mole anymore...

This is one of the best improvements EU4 has made, and I include the Monarch Points system in that statement.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Prestige decay is how EU works. The basic idea is that you only get high prestige when you've been doing prestigious things recently; your old glories are slowly forgotten. Hence, decay.

In practice, in EU3, you could end up at 100 prestige basically all the time, after a few years into the game. Not sure how EU4 is.

If you go to war often, you'll keep your prestige at 80+ without issue. If you're playing a nation that gets any +prestige modifiers, it's pretty easy to keep it pegged at 100.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, I've ran into a pretty stupid bug. At some point the Tuetonic Order got wiped off the map by Poland, but their ghostly spirit lives on. They attempt to change their capital to Memel at least once a day, even though Poland owns it. There's been dozens of occurrences of them changing the capital to Memel in the log over the last couple months. Clicking on their shield zooms the camera over to Memel, despite them not being there (or anywhere). You can still interact with them as well, despite them not existing anymore.

It's really odd and I'm worried that it's going to cause other problems. I can't really do much about it seeing as this is an Ironman game.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

I had that same bug but with foix and armagnac, it also said that their succession was disputed.

Restarting the game fixed it, you don't need an earlier save so ironman should work fine I guess.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I also got that bug when Denmark diplo-annexed Sweden. Constantly trying to change their capital to Vastergotland, and then England managed to ally with Ghost Sweden and invaded Denmark to get Sweden back their provinces. It was kind of nuts.

I also noticed that Wallachia is allied with three ghost nations - Byzantium, Athens, and Achaea. None of these exist anymore (and they aren't doing the capital-switch thing either).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

uPen posted:

There's no upper limit to how far you can improve relations with a vassal. With normal nations you can only hit +100 before your guy says I can't do it anymore but with vassals I've gotten it up to 140+ from that modifier alone so that I could annex.
That doesn't really help you if you're trying to get it up to 190 in order to OFFER vassalization.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I enjoy how deciding to keep your ruler as a republic gives them +1 to their non-primary stat. I also enjoy election cycles of 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Strudel Man posted:

That doesn't really help you if you're trying to get it up to 190 in order to OFFER vassalization.

Note that in the economic section of diplomacy, you have the option to send a monetary gift to improve relations, and can choose how much to send as well. Also, military access still improves relations, so that's worth a shot (though keep in mind that military access counts as a diplomatic relation and so will count against your limits.)

• Locked thread