Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Jay Mariotti's return can't be far behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fox Sports 1 just looks like another sports channel I'll try to actively avoid save for live sporting content.

I'm really pissed at how they treated auto racing fans as well.

http://motorcycling.speedtv.com/article/nascar-programming-major-part-of-fox-sports-1-launch-weekend"

Just look at the comments section here.

I just don't understand how stupid some of these excutives are. Do they honestly think people were craving ANOTHER espn, complete with terrible staged debate shows?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Speaking of FS1, they quietly announced that Fuel (which at this point is virtually the UFC channel) is going to be Fox Sports 2 come Saturday.

And Directv/Dish/Time Warner might not carry FS1 when it starts because they have to sign a new agreement for carriage.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Racing fans y'all really need to learn to accept that you like a niche sport and that networks can't afford to spend tons of time covering it (especially if it's not NASCAR) because otherwise you are going to be angry a lot.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Fox Sports 1 signed Randy Moss as an analyst so that buys some goodwill from me.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Almost all of the UFC programming that is currently on FUEL is actually moving to FS1, so I really have no idea what FS2 is going to consist of other than NASCAR practices and the other poo poo that used to be on SPEED that they don't care about.

Also only like 12 people have FUEL so there's that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

jeffersonlives posted:

Almost all of the UFC programming that is currently on FUEL is actually moving to FS1, so I really have no idea what FS2 is going to consist of other than NASCAR practices and the other poo poo that used to be on SPEED that they don't care about.

I imagine it'll be like ESPN2 used to be. Spillover content, weird poo poo they have the rights to, bargain-basement original productions.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

morestuff posted:

I imagine it'll be like ESPN2 used to be. Spillover content, weird poo poo they have the rights to, bargain-basement original productions.

That's my best guess. Like since they're going to have the World Cup rights, when they get to the end of the group round where multiple games are going on one game will air there.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
ESPN better not stop Whitlock's anti NCAA columns, which I enjoy more than any other sports commentary. Who am I kidding, the columns he is allowed to write at Fox Sports are done. They will never give him that leeway at ESPN.

gently caress

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

ESPN better not stop Whitlock's anti NCAA columns, which I enjoy more than any other sports commentary. Who am I kidding, the columns he is allowed to write at Fox Sports are done. They will never give him that leeway at ESPN.

gently caress

I wouldn't worry about it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ideally they would not allow him to write any columns ever.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MourningView posted:

Racing fans y'all really need to learn to accept that you like a niche sport and that networks can't afford to spend tons of time covering it (especially if it's not NASCAR) because otherwise you are going to be angry a lot.

Racing fans have SPEED which covers most major racing events (at least F1 here in the states). If not, they always have reruns of PINKS to watch, too!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

seiferguy posted:

Racing fans have SPEED which covers most major racing events (at least F1 here in the states). If not, they always have reruns of PINKS to watch, too!

SPEED is about to no longer exist; that's the channel that FOX is converting to FOX Sports 1.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

morestuff posted:

If this doesn't lead to televised Magic the Gathering returning we have failed as a nation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mornacale posted:

If this doesn't lead to televised Magic the Gathering returning we have failed as a nation.

I miss being in college and watching hours of people chopping logs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vertical Lime posted:

Jason Whitlock is coming back to ESPN:

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/08/14/jason-whitlock-has-left-fox-sports-to-return-to-espn/

Who cares about burning bridges when there's a war to win

Noooooooooooo

What did we do to deserve this?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

commy gun posted:

Fox Sports 1 signed Randy Moss as an analyst so that buys some goodwill from me.

Did they really? Oh my God. I love hearing Randy Moss' voice on television. It's like an inbred white redneck crawled into the voice box of a 6-foot-4 black man.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

seiferguy posted:

SPEED is dead.

NBC Sports is all that's really left for us at this point.

Praying to god they push Speedcenter/Wind Tunnel, BTCC over to NBCSN at the very least. Robin Miller, Bob Varsha and Dave Despain are all awesome, and were the main reason to tune into Speed.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 14, 2013

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Can a mod please put quotations around the word journalism in the thread title tia

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

THE RED MENACE posted:

Can a mod please put quotations around the word journalism in the thread title tia

I'm starting to wonder if a "Sports Broadcasting" discussion thread would be cool?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm starting to wonder if a "Sports Broadcasting" discussion thread would be cool?

Only if I get to make every third/fourth post about how much I hate Jim Nantz.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Troy Queef posted:

Only if I get to make every third/fourth post about how much I hate Jim Nantz.

I don't have nearly enough outlets for my Joe Buck hatred

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Looks like FS1 cut an 11th hour deal with DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner.

Good news for me, since I'm moving into a new place over the weekend that already has DirecTV set up.

Now get poo poo done with the Pac-12 Network so I won't have to miss half of the Huskies games this year :mad:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rick Reilly actually wrote a pretty good article about the madness that is the NCAA policy on autographs and how colleges are now basically going to stop people from getting players' autographs altogether in some cases because they're so paranoid about eligibility issues. He also found an expert who pointed out that Jadaveon Clowney was probably paid for some of the autographs he's signed, despite South Carolina saying otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9567169/rick-reilly-ncaa-autographs

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Also only like 12 people have FUEL so there's that.

probably replays of UFC events and Unleashed still, plus supercross or whatever other poo poo contracts they have to burn

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
It looks like political talk will be in play on Olbermann's new ESPN show.
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013..._medium=twitter
I was really hoping he'd just stick to sports for this show, because he has the potential to do some good poo poo when he's talking sports.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

MourningView posted:

It just gets old seeing the same three sports on every network, you know?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There needs to be a network called the Island of Misfit Sporting Events where we can have all of the stuff that's incredibly awesome but normal people don't watch: Auto Racing, Aussie Rules Football, International Rugby, Bushkazi, and so on.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

There needs to be a network called the Island of Misfit Sporting Events where we can have all of the stuff that's incredibly awesome but normal people don't watch: Auto Racing, Aussie Rules Football, International Rugby, Bushkazi, and so on.

This actually exists, it's called Fox Soccer Plus, and I'm actually curious if the crazy sports it shows will be shifted over to Fox Sports 2 to fill airtime or it'll just disappear.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rick Reilly actually wrote a pretty good article about the madness that is the NCAA policy on autographs and how colleges are now basically going to stop people from getting players' autographs altogether in some cases because they're so paranoid about eligibility issues. He also found an expert who pointed out that Jadaveon Clowney was probably paid for some of the autographs he's signed, despite South Carolina saying otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9567169/rick-reilly-ncaa-autographs

I wish it didn't take a white kid from a rich family getting in trouble for the mainstream media to go at the NCAA. Where was this when Dez Byrant was suspended lying about something which was not even a violation? A 20 year old kid gets in a room with a bunch of lawyers intent on getting him in trouble, gets grilled for 9 hours, gets scared, tells a lie, and they take his season plus probably cost him 10 million dollars? Now that deserves 10 times the outrage of this Manziel thing. At least he actually broke a real rule (which I disagree with).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

It just gets old seeing the same three sports on every network, you know?

Those sports are all cool so I and 99.99999999% of their viewers are okay with it.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Ribsauce posted:

I wish it didn't take a white kid from a rich family getting in trouble for the mainstream media to go at the NCAA. Where was this when Dez Byrant was suspended lying about something which was not even a violation? A 20 year old kid gets in a room with a bunch of lawyers intent on getting him in trouble, gets grilled for 9 hours, gets scared, tells a lie, and they take his season plus probably cost him 10 million dollars? Now that deserves 10 times the outrage of this Manziel thing. At least he actually broke a real rule (which I disagree with).

It's the unsung racial politics of the NCAA. Black players are cheaters, white players only break unjust rules, and everyone knows this.

Consider the percentage of black players in NCAA football and you wonder why the public doesn't engender much sympathy toward them.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

MourningView posted:

Those sports are all cool so I and 99.99999999% of their viewers are okay with it.

You know that's how hitler came to power, right?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It's the unsung racial politics of the NCAA. Black players are cheaters, white players only break unjust rules, and everyone knows this.

Consider the percentage of black players in NCAA football and you wonder why the public doesn't engender much sympathy toward them.

Terrelle Pryor got free tattoos! What a thug!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Peanut President posted:

You know that's how hitler came to power, right?

:hist101: Hitler only won 43% of the vote in 1933.

This still made him more popular than pro hockey, open wheel racing, and the WNBA combined

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Let's pay Little Leaguers

Dan Wetzel wrote an article saying that kids in the Little League World Series should get paid. His reasoning is that Little League makes money off these kids with ad sales, etc., so why can't the Little Leaguers see some of that money, be it in college scholarship funds, or trust funds.

It seems sound. I mean, I see nowhere else in sports does an institution make millions upon millions of dollars from young athletes and the athletes don't see a cent of that money.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

peepoogenderparts posted:

Let's pay Little Leaguers

Dan Wetzel wrote an article saying that kids in the Little League World Series should get paid. His reasoning is that Little League makes money off these kids with ad sales, etc., so why can't the Little Leaguers see some of that money, be it in college scholarship funds, or trust funds.

It seems sound. I mean, I see nowhere else in sports does an institution make millions upon millions of dollars from young athletes and the athletes don't see a cent of that money.

Or instead of paying the kids who happen to be successful, plug that money back into infrastructure and fee cuts for all Little Leagues, so that more children have the opportunity to play.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

What about little leaguer autograph signings

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wright Thompson's profile of Dan Gable is typically excellent: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/Dan-Gable/the-losses-dan-gable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hang Up and Listen is all kinds of amazing, but it only comes out once a week and I need my fix. Fortunately, they have 4 years of backlogs on their website, and it's interesting to see hear how things were different back in 2009 vis-a-vis Tebow: http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/hang_up_and_listen/2009/08/hang_up_and_listen_the_mighty_gator_edition.html