Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love the clothing design of the EX boss.

I like the fact that the EX boss abandoned her old body once she felt the mallet's power, and then went to the outside world for a new drum set...and some new clothes. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Raiko_Horikawa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pharohman777 posted:

I love the clothing design of the EX boss.

I like the fact that the EX boss abandoned her old body once she felt the mallet's power, and then went to the outside world for a new drum set...and some new clothes. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Raiko_Horikawa

She looks like she came from Umineko.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is ZUN still doing the character art for the latest game? It seems to me like the artwork has been significantly improved between Ten Desires and Double Dealing Characters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JosephWongKS posted:

Is ZUN still doing the character art for the latest game? It seems to me like the artwork has been significantly improved between Ten Desires and Double Dealing Characters.

Please look at her left arm. Please notice that there is no arm, her hand is essentially attached directly to her shoulder.

And Reimu's little floppy T-Rex hand.

ZUN's art is still ZUNtastic.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ZUN's art is probably determined by how drunk he is at the time. In my opinion it was bad in 6 and 7 then 8 kind of had nice art. Then bad again in 10 and 11, but UFO was showing him starting to get better. Then 13 and 14 are bad again.

So yeah, sobriety level. Or maybe all of ZUN's art is bad.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 13, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Either way, his style changes very drastically between games so other than the obvious anatomy errors he routinely makes there's not much consistency in the first place. Compare EoSD to IN to TD.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Captain Invictus posted:

Please look at her left arm. Please notice that there is no arm, her hand is essentially attached directly to her shoulder.

And Reimu's little floppy T-Rex hand.

ZUN's art is still ZUNtastic.

At first glance you have to assume that he was trying for perspective- her arm pointing out towards the screen and to the viewer's right.

He just... didn't accomplish that because he's ZUN.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zun doesn't "do" perspective.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Speaking of art, I wonder if ZUN's comics will have Reimu with short hair like she has in this game from now on. She had super long hair in HM. Just a little attention to detail that doesn't really matter, but it's kind of nice to have.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Less Western-origin youkai in this game than I was expecting/hoping for, and the cursed weapons thing turned out to be a red herring, apparently.

This annoys me.

(On the other hand, dat EX-boss.)

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 13, 2013

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
Been listening to a bunch of stuff released this Comiket, and boy, I wonder what other song they could be using in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaicwvXHrCk
Also, noticed I've been enjoying Buta-Otome's original stuff more than their arranges recently, which is a good thing for them, I guess?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
EX Boss owns so much.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Less Western-origin youkai in this game than I was expecting/hoping for, and the cursed weapons thing turned out to be a red herring, apparently.

This annoys me.

(On the other hand, dat EX-boss.)

Well, the cursed weapons did make the three kind of crazy. Especially Sakuya.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Plus, a large portion of the plot involves tools becoming youkai. I don't get how that's a red herring?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Trihugger posted:

Speaking of art, I wonder if ZUN's comics will have Reimu with short hair like she has in this game from now on.

I really hope not. Long hair reimu is the best.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Spidder posted:

Is DDC much easier than the previous games?

a cartoon duck posted:

Anyway, DDC: Is it just me or is this game even harder than SA and UFO?

I think he hit the difficulty juuuust right. Although I'm probably going to get better at it over time so maybe it leans on the easy side.

Just tried my first play-through, was surprised to get all the way to stage 4 without losing a life since I was actually having a lot of difficulty with the demo, and then stage 5 happened. Not sure I'm ever going to accommodate myself to this new gimmick. During the stage portions I was thinking "oh, flipping which end of the screen is safer huh? That'll make using the Point of Collection easy!" until I realized "wait, poo poo, you need to collect these in bunches instead of gradually right as you kill things, I'm not getting any bomb or life pieces!". I think that showed a lot of creativity and forward thinking with this game's fairly straightforward scoring/bonus lives mechanic.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'm finding DDC a lot harder than the last few games. Stage 3 is tough for me for some reason, especially Kagerou's last card. Stage 4's not as bad, but stage 5 kicks my rear end, and stage 6 is mostly okay aside from that terrible survival card I just cannot figure out for some reason.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

The Stage 5 boss's gimmick is just cruel. :stonk:

Yeah aside from that it looks nice, a good return to genuine difficulty. But Stage 5 quashes my desire to do a Lunatic no-bomb run.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm probably not the best judge of these things because the last time I played a shmup was two years ago when TD came out (I didn't even really play the DDC demo), but I'm finding DDC to be quite hard so far. On Normal anyway. Things are much denser/faster than I remember, and I'm seeing an awful lot of "no way I can dodge that" patterns. Maybe I just haven't figured out the tricks or something, but a lot of them don't really seem to have tricks. I find Seija actually relatively easy because she relies on her gimmick so much that the basic difficulty is fairly low. The stage 4 boss is way worse.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 14, 2013

Time Traveler
Aug 16, 2011

I don't make promises that I can't keep.
It seems like with TD the design philosophy was starving the player of resources but making the patterns easy as hell. With DDC it's the opposite; probably some of the densest/fastest/trickiest patterns in the series for each difficulty level, but if you learn how to fully exploit the game's resource collection mechanics you end up with far more lives and bombs than any other game. Remember that, unlike in UFO and TD, dying will reset your bombs to 3 even if you had more, so it's even more advised to be twitchy and liberal with your bomb usage.

In stages, bombing through sections with tons of enemies will not only make them a lot easier but will almost invariably end up with you getting 1/3 of a free life. Sakuya A and Marisa B are miles ahead of the other shot types for resource collection, obviously because of their bomb mechanics.

Personally I think that this was a good design decision, and appreciate how the stage portions effectively become a resource collection mini-game.

Oh, and best music 10/10

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sakuya A is just completely ridiculous. Great damage, a bomb that autocollects twice, and homing? Why should I bother with anyone else?

Time Traveler
Aug 16, 2011

I don't make promises that I can't keep.

BlitzBlast posted:

Sakuya A is just completely ridiculous. Great damage, a bomb that autocollects twice, and homing? Why should I bother with anyone else?

Sakuya A and Sakuya B would literally be balanced if their bombs were swapped

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah, after complaining DDC was too hard, I played as Sakuya A, and with some good use of bombs, I could usually refund up to 5 or maybe even 6 bomb pieces in a few places, plus all the life pieces I got, I had plenty of lives to get through. I had 2 or 3 really dumb deaths during stage 3 and stage 5 and that poo poo wouldn't fly in any other game, I was surprised I finished the run at all.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Time Traveler posted:

It seems like with TD the design philosophy was starving the player of resources but making the patterns easy as hell. With DDC it's the opposite; probably some of the densest/fastest/trickiest patterns in the series for each difficulty level, but if you learn how to fully exploit the game's resource collection mechanics you end up with far more lives and bombs than any other game.

You can? So far I've only managed to get max lives by mid stage 4. I'm probably doing it wrong though, and I'm using Reimu-B who doesn't have a bomb gimmick. For sure it's a lot easier to do without memorization than UFO's system, and much more interesting than SA's survival-based or every other game's point/item-based system.

In any case the rotational card from Stage 5 is just a new level of nasty. It has to be almost literally impossible to clear without running it in spell practice, what the gently caress. I get dizzy even thinking about it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Redmark posted:

In any case the rotational card from Stage 5 is just a new level of nasty. It has to be almost literally impossible to clear without running it in spell practice, what the gently caress. I get dizzy even thinking about it.

Uh... really? I find it one of her easier spellcards. I've got a 50% capture rate for it (3/6 Normal mode) and have never done practice. I'm not super-confident with it, but for a stage 5 boss that's pretty good. For me. The trick is to basically ignore what the screen shows and keep holding the direction you were going anyway.

And yeah, after complaining about the difficulty I managed to clear the game as Sakuya A with 2 lives left.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 15, 2013

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Clarste posted:

Uh... really? I find it one of her easier spellcards. I've got a 50% capture rate for it (3/6 Normal mode) and have never done practice. I'm not super-confident with it, but for a stage 5 boss that's pretty good. For me. The trick is to basically ignore what the screen shows and keep holding the direction you were going anyway.

And yeah, after complaining about the difficulty I managed to clear the game as Sakuya A with 2 lives left.

Oh, it's just a graphical thing? I've only played twice so far and the second time I just bombed everything so I don't actually know what's up with a lot of the spell cards.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Time Traveler posted:

Sakuya A and Sakuya B would literally be balanced if their bombs were swapped

Sakuya B's bomb is the only thing keeping me playing Sakuya A.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Redmark posted:

Oh, it's just a graphical thing? I've only played twice so far and the second time I just bombed everything so I don't actually know what's up with a lot of the spell cards.

Well, your controls are reversed so that's obviously a problem. The thing though is that she flips everything at the same time, so even though your controls are reversed, the location of the bullets is too so you can just keep doing the same thing. I won't say "close your eyes" but... it's something like that. Just ignore the flipping and do what you'd do otherwise.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
Just managed to 1cc DDC on normal with Reimu A. Went into stage 4 boss fight with max lives and one bomb, and blew all but one bomb by the end of the game. Died horribly on EX boss's 2nd card. :v:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
DDC is hard for those who can't react fast enough to bomb or deathbomb.

I can 1CC SA Normal, why can't I 1cc this game? :smith:

In response to the poster below, I reached the sisters with 5 2/3 lives. The music notes throw me off so badly I lose about 2 lives to them. Then Seija makes me lose another 2 lives with her gimmick. I can't even reach the stage 6 boss at this rate, let alone clearing it.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 16, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
A Normal 1CC took me a few tries. I cleared Seija with six lives, and went on to lose four of them on the final stage. The endboss is really nasty if you're not prepared for her, and the final stage obliterates me in ways I don't know how to deal with. I'll probably have to play the stage in Practice a few times to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.

The EX boss seems fairly manageable, although I've only gotten about halfway through the fight so far. I'm having a lot of trouble getting through the Tsukumo sisters fight without losing a life or two right now.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm pretty bad at judging Extra difficulty, but yeah, Raiko's not too bad considering what the normal game throws at you, especially considering the resources you can rack up in a good run of the stage portion. But yeah, the mid-boss is pretty difficult mostly for her last card. The non-spell is fairly easy and the first spell card loses its difficulty once you realize the red bullets curve to the right and the blue ones curve to the left, making them easy to predict, but the ricocheting overllaping bullets in the last one are hell. I make a point of keeping two bombs just so I can skip that card.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Oh man Raiko's theme has a legitimately sick drum solo :stare:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gamma Nerd posted:

Oh man Raiko's theme has a legitimately sick drum solo :stare:

Tell me about it! I'm getting all giddy-like thinking of what the likes of Wave, Iron Attack, Xi-on and Tutti Sound can do with it :allears:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Not surprised, ZUN and the guy who does Umineko are friends.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

JackMackerel posted:

Not surprised, ZUN and the guy who does Umineko are friends.

I'm still trying to supress the urge to go "Touhou didn't exist in 1986!" whenever I see that one scene in Umineko...

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

CommissarMega posted:

Tell me about it! I'm getting all giddy-like thinking of what the likes of Wave, Iron Attack, Xi-on and Tutti Sound can do with it :allears:

It's difficult to imagine ZUN not deliberately setting the bait for some artists, with stuff like that. This is very easily the most badass EX boss theme the series has had.

In the meantime, though, Sukuna's theme sounds like a moodier take on Byakuren's, at least in parts. This isn't a bad thing, but I wonder if it was intentional.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
For everyone who enjoys Bomber Grape's comics, here's something similar I found. Acknowledge Her, Crown Prince!, In which Miko tries to adopt Kokoro, and discovers Tenchi was not a biopic. Standard Danbooru warnings apply.

Also, some new Setz 4Koma! They're all funny! Except for this one!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Takoluka posted:

Well a good portion of Umineko characters could pass for Touhous so turnabout's fair play! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Christ, the gloves really come off in the second half of the Raiko battle. After Land Percuss, basically every single spell and nonspell short of Alternate Sticking is ripping me to pieces. I've only reached her survival card (which rules) once, and have yet to capture it in or out of practice.

Also, 21 tries in and I still have never captured the last midboss card outside of practice mode. That thing can go to hell.

On the plus side, I noticed that Reimu A can squeeze a bit more power out of her focus fire by briefly dipping into unfocused at regular intervals, which throws some homing amulets but doesn't reset the purification stick. Proper application can shave a second or two off of a spell card.