Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Cross posting this here from my tequila thread: If there are any whiskey drinkers in here who aren't that into tequila, try Cazadores Reposado. It's tequila that's been aged in oak barrels for almost a year, so the tequila taste is mellowed and the wood notes are more prominent. It's very dry and smooth, easy to drink neat. As a tequila I'm not a fan of it because the agave is toned down too much, but if it's approached as an Irish style whiskey with tequila flavoring, it's quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007
THIS is what a Hubbins looks like.
I've just been gifted some whiskey by the inlaws. A bottle of canadian club, two bottles of black label, and an interesting (and old bottle). Anyone know anything about this

Edit: Apologies for the bad cell picture, mobile posting is fun.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Looks like a bottle of 12 year Dimple Pinch scotch.

A quick Googling shows that it's long discontinued and the few places it's listed it's expensive. Haven't seen much about the actual taste.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 6, 2013

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007
THIS is what a Hubbins looks like.
Considering a few of the other bottles (of non-whiskey) I got were dated to the early 80's I believe it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I've had dimple pinch before, at least the stuff that's available now and it was the sweetest whisky I've ever had. Like completely and utterly over-sweet.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Tonight I had my first taste of Islay scotch, in the form of McClellands Islay Single Malt.

I bought it only because it was on sale (750ml bottle for $20), and because I heard Islay scotch had a divisive reputation. I like the peat flavors in scotch, so I figured a peat-heavy scotch would be right up my alley. At the same time, I'm relatively new to scotch, and I'm not a connoisseur by any means. We have ABC stores in my state; when I took it to the counter, I asked the guy why they were selling a single malt scotch so cheaply, and he said, "No one buys expensive scotch around here. Everyone drinks Dewar's." Then he looked very depressed.

I was waiting until tonight to open it and try it. This afternoon, I looked it up online just to see what people were saying about it. To put it mildly, the reviews were not flattering. Some pretty strong stuff is being said about this scotch. I think the word "swill" came up a few times. I started to worry that I'd just bought 750ml of pricey cocktail scotch.

But I had to commit at this point. I wasn't going to chicken out. After dinner, I uncorked the bottle. It smelled very earthy and smokey right away, and there was something in the scent that reminded me of medicine. I was expecting to dislike it.

Instead, I was pleasantly surprised. I really like this stuff! It's definitely bolder than what I'm used to... I usually drink Glenfiddich or Aberlour. But it's smooth and not too overbearing. The more I sip my dram, the more and more I like it. So much that I guess I felt I had to post about it.

I guess this is a success!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
IMO McLelland's is probably one of the worst Islays. The guy at the ABC store I went to said not to buy it, and he wasn't entirely wrong. It's drinkable for me, but I'd rather grab Ardbeg or something else in the $40-50 range.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
McClelland's Islay is probably 5-year old Bowmore aged in tired hogsheads. Whether that's worth $20 is up to individual taste. It used to be an easy choice when Laphroaig 10yr was $30. Now the pricing stratification might lead you to Ileach or Finlaggan first, both of which I feel are better than McClelland's.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I'll definitely be on the lookout for those recommendations. Thanks!

If the McClelland's is a poor Islay, then the good stuff must be amazing! That, or I need to work on my palate.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Anyone know when this year's Buffalo Trace Antique collection will be going on sale? Specifically, I'm looking to get my hands on a bottle of William Larue Weller here in Indiana.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Huge_Midget posted:

Anyone know when this year's Buffalo Trace Antique collection will be going on sale? Specifically, I'm looking to get my hands on a bottle of William Larue Weller here in Indiana.

It generally drops in September\October. Best of luck to you. Last year I missed a bottle of Pappy 15 by a few hours, and that was pretty crushing. I might just have to have settle for Stagg Jr. rather than try for the real deal.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013
Just picked up a Glen Rothes with the SO. Any tasting notes to be aware of? We just remember the name; she liked it from a Scotch flight a while ago.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I've never had an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan, decided to break away from the tequila this week and pick up a bottle of bourbon to try out two old school cocktails. I went to a fairly large, high class liquor store and they had no bitters. Plenty of the high end scotches being discussed here, a poo poo ton of whiskey including that Japanese one for 120 a bottle, all the goddamn bourbon in the world. No loving bitters. The dumb cashier had no idea what in the hell they were, and the one guy who did gave me his most sincere apologies and said that no one uses them anymore.

What the gently caress, I want a goddamn Old Fashioned, I am legitimately mad at my booze choices being limited. I know I live in a goddamn poo poo hole but considering there are over 550 liquor stores in the area, you'd think one of the biggest ones would carry bitters.

And of course I promptly forgot the vermouth as well.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

rxcowboy posted:

So I've never had an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan, decided to break away from the tequila this week and pick up a bottle of bourbon to try out two old school cocktails. I went to a fairly large, high class liquor store and they had no bitters. Plenty of the high end scotches being discussed here, a poo poo ton of whiskey including that Japanese one for 120 a bottle, all the goddamn bourbon in the world. No loving bitters. The dumb cashier had no idea what in the hell they were, and the one guy who did gave me his most sincere apologies and said that no one uses them anymore.

What the gently caress, I want a goddamn Old Fashioned, I am legitimately mad at my booze choices being limited. I know I live in a goddamn poo poo hole but considering there are over 550 liquor stores in the area, you'd think one of the biggest ones would carry bitters.

My local supermarket (Meijers) carries bitters and vermouth, maybe you can try searching your local grocery store? It's kind of strange that a liquor store wouldn't carry it, though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Zatheria posted:

Just picked up a Glen Rothes with the SO. Any tasting notes to be aware of? We just remember the name; she liked it from a Scotch flight a while ago.
The only Glenrothes (1985) I had was rich and full-bodied, primarily fruity (green apple, chinese pear,) some but not much baking spices. There is quite a bit of variance between vintages so I'm not sure the above applies to whichever bottling you have.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Troll Bridgington posted:

My local supermarket (Meijers) carries bitters and vermouth, maybe you can try searching your local grocery store? It's kind of strange that a liquor store wouldn't carry it, though.

The local liquor store here doesn't carry bitters either but the supermarket does, but only the standard Angostura. The only place I've seen other types is in the upscale markets in a bigger city.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

rxcowboy posted:

I feel your pain. We have ABC stores in my state so I have no choice but to buy my liquor there, and none of them carried bitters. I looked for 3 months at different stores trying to find some. I eventually found a small cluster of them in a town about 30 minutes from home, and even then there was only one brand on the shelf, marked as "discontinued/discount" sale. :(

What happened, America? What happened?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Trip report: Acquired multiple bottles of bitters so I don't have to do this poo poo again for a while, and a bottle of vermouth.

Came home last night, and made myself a Manhattan. Used 2 parts Jim Beam Black to 1 part sweet vermouth, and two dashes of bitters.

First off, the bitters smell *fantastic.* I can see why they are a vital part of this drink.

Now for the drink. It tasted good, very smooth, very easy to sip. Smelled great too, I wish my house smelled like this at all times in the winter. The problem was I think it was just a touch too sweet and one note for me. I fully admit that I gulped this down after a 12 hour shift from hell, so I wasn't taking the time to appreciate whatever subtleties were there, and it's a 20 dollar bourbon so I'm not too surprised.

Next bottle I buy though I want to get a rye whisky since they are more spicy, but I have no idea what brand to get. What rye would go good in a mahattan?

And for that matter, what bourbons would you recommend for a Manhattan? I'm leaning towards Bulleit myself since it's more rye heavy and would seem to be a good balance between the two.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Spookyelectric posted:

I feel your pain. We have ABC stores in my state so I have no choice but to buy my liquor there, and none of them carried bitters. I looked for 3 months at different stores trying to find some. I eventually found a small cluster of them in a town about 30 minutes from home, and even then there was only one brand on the shelf, marked as "discontinued/discount" sale. :(

What happened, America? What happened?

Do ABC stores all have the same prices for booze? Like if Jim Beam is 20 at one store, it will be 20 at all stores? If so, be thankful for that at least. Then you don't have to deal with the bizarre reality that a bottle of booze that is 36 at one store is 47 at another five minutes away. And you have no way of knowing that until you get in the store of call ahead, so you get loving pissed and go to the store that has it cheaper only to find out they sold out so you go out in the parking lot and punch the first person you see then go back to the over priced store and buy the more expensive bottle because if you go to yet another store they might be out too and you're wasting gas at this point so you get the bottle and go home and drink it angrily.

A perverse part of me would rather have my options limited with the knowledge out of those options, what I wanted will always be there and at the same price instead of the crap shoot here.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
You can order bitters off Amazon if you can't find them elsewhere; despite containing alcohol they're not considered liquor by themselves.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

rxcowboy posted:

Trip report: Acquired multiple bottles of bitters so I don't have to do this poo poo again for a while, and a bottle of vermouth.

Came home last night, and made myself a Manhattan. Used 2 parts Jim Beam Black to 1 part sweet vermouth, and two dashes of bitters.

First off, the bitters smell *fantastic.* I can see why they are a vital part of this drink.

Now for the drink. It tasted good, very smooth, very easy to sip. Smelled great too, I wish my house smelled like this at all times in the winter. The problem was I think it was just a touch too sweet and one note for me. I fully admit that I gulped this down after a 12 hour shift from hell, so I wasn't taking the time to appreciate whatever subtleties were there, and it's a 20 dollar bourbon so I'm not too surprised.

Next bottle I buy though I want to get a rye whisky since they are more spicy, but I have no idea what brand to get. What rye would go good in a mahattan?

And for that matter, what bourbons would you recommend for a Manhattan? I'm leaning towards Bulleit myself since it's more rye heavy and would seem to be a good balance between the two.

I like to use either a rye or a rye-heavy bourbon for a Manhattan, since all that rye pepperiness cuts the sweetness a bit. Get thee some WT101 or Old Grand-Dad BIB.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

kidsafe posted:

The only Glenrothes (1985) I had was rich and full-bodied, primarily fruity (green apple, chinese pear,) some but not much baking spices. There is quite a bit of variance between vintages so I'm not sure the above applies to whichever bottling you have.

The Glenrothes we had was a select reserve. It is pretty sweet, definitely could taste honey there, quite rich in fruity flavours with a little vanilla. All in all, we enjoyed it, though she still likes the Oban better.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

rxcowboy posted:

Do ABC stores all have the same prices for booze? Like if Jim Beam is 20 at one store, it will be 20 at all stores? If so, be thankful for that at least. Then you don't have to deal with the bizarre reality that a bottle of booze that is 36 at one store is 47 at another five minutes away. And you have no way of knowing that until you get in the store of call ahead, so you get loving pissed and go to the store that has it cheaper only to find out they sold out so you go out in the parking lot and punch the first person you see then go back to the over priced store and buy the more expensive bottle because if you go to yet another store they might be out too and you're wasting gas at this point so you get the bottle and go home and drink it angrily.

A perverse part of me would rather have my options limited with the knowledge out of those options, what I wanted will always be there and at the same price instead of the crap shoot here.
The problem with ABC stores is while stuff like Beam will be a fair price, less popular bottles will be much, much more. I live in California, so we don't have that...all the shops are within a couple dollars of each other unless they are running a special sale on particulars. It's nothing to worry or waste gas/time over. Perhaps I'm lucky that all of the shops I care about also do online business. One of them even does real-time inventory and in-store pick-up.

ABC stores really limit your selection, especially from independent offerings. You basically don't have the option of hand-picked barrel selections from spirits buyers at any particular store...they are all just branches of one distributor (the state.) No part of me wants that.

Tony Inchpractice
Aug 30, 2011
OK quick question for any Aussies who frequent here, has anyone tried Starward yet?
I noticed it recently but can't find much on it online except from the distributors website - would like to get a second opinion before dropping $80 on it.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Visiting Southern California this week. Trader Joe's sells Bulliet for $20?! What the fuuuuuck am I doing in VA?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Bunk Rogers posted:

Visiting Southern California this week. Trader Joe's sells Bulliet for $20?! What the fuuuuuck am I doing in VA?

How much is it in VA? I'm in MD and just saw a bottle for either 22 or 23.

Also I know this is the whiskey thread but holy poo poo if you like tequila you should be in prime territory out there.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I'd swear its $30 at the ABC store. Seeing any type of alcohol at the grocery is freaky.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rxcowboy posted:

Also I know this is the whiskey thread but holy poo poo if you like tequila you should be in prime territory out there.

in NC it runs $30, occasionally on sale for $27ish.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

Tony Inchpractice posted:

OK quick question for any Aussies who frequent here, has anyone tried Starward yet?
I noticed it recently but can't find much on it online except from the distributors website - would like to get a second opinion before dropping $80 on it.

Not yet but I heard good things (propaganda perhaps?)

They were going to be at Whisky Live but there weren't enough other whiskies on the Whisky Live list to entice me so I gave it a miss this year. Brisbane is the last show so if you live there you could still get tickets maybe?

kaws!
May 25, 2008
Only really recently getting into whiskey that I don't want to skull to get me drunk. I'd like some recommendations as to what I've liked so far, so I can get some decent bottles to keep in my cabinet amongst the many bottles of wine.

I've loved Yamazaki on Ice and every Glenmorangie I've had, especially the Quinta Ruban. It seems I like the smoother an less smokey and peaty scotches, which is the opposite of the kind of tequila I like. Can anybody recommend similar smooth tasting flavors that I would also enjoy? Something cheaper than 80-100 AUD would be awesome.

kaws! fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 13, 2013

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

kaws! posted:

Only really recently getting into whiskey that I don't want to skull to get me drunk. I'd like some recommendations as to what I've liked so far, so I can get some decent bottles to keep in my cabinet amongst the many bottles of wine.

I've loved Yamazaki on Ice and every Glenmorangie I've had, especially the Quinta Ruban. It seems I like the smoother an less smokey and peaty scotches, which is the opposite of the kind of tequila I like. Can anybody recommend similar smooth tasting flavors that I would also enjoy? Something cheaper than 80-100 AUD would be awesome.

Since your tastes seem similar to mine so far, I recommend trying anything from the Balvenie, especially the Caribbean cask.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rxcowboy posted:

As a NoVA resident, I know to buy almost all of my alcohol in MD when I have the opportunity. Lots of stuff is about as cheap as you can find it in the US.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
I just purchased a new bottle of the Hakushu 12 and it's exactly as delightful as I remembered. I think quality/pricewise this is my favourite Japanese malt.

Nose: Lemon drops, light oak, a bit of candlewax, old bread, the last two forming a scent together like a waxy leaf.
Taste: Fresh, light. Pears with a slight wisp of smoke. Spices and pepper come through in the finish.

Pellethead
Aug 12, 2013

kaws! posted:

You might also try Dalwhinnie which is very light, no peat or smoke and almost floral and honeylike. It's my go-to gift for my best friend (was his best man gift for my wedding as well). It's a very delicate malt, completely too sophisticated for someone like me who prefers heavy peated Islay malts.

Tony Inchpractice
Aug 30, 2011

kaws! posted:

I've found Auchentoshan to be really light on the smoke and peat as well. Definately lighter than Glenmorangie, but might be interesting as a comparison. You can get a bottle of their 12 year old for around $65.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Tony Inchpractice posted:

I've found Auchentoshan to be really light on the smoke and peat as well. Definately lighter than Glenmorangie, but might be interesting as a comparison. You can get a bottle of their 12 year old for around $65.
I haven't been impressed with young Auchentoshan. Three Wood in particular tastes of musty, damp wood before you get to any of its other more pleasant flavors. It's just not well made whisky at that end of the price range...If I want triple distilled, I guess I'll have to pay out the nose for Hazelburn.

Balvenie or Glenfiddich would be my suggested starter malt for most.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Pellethead posted:

You might also try Dalwhinnie which is very light, no peat or smoke and almost floral and honeylike. It's my go-to gift for my best friend (was his best man gift for my wedding as well). It's a very delicate malt, completely too sophisticated for someone like me who prefers heavy peated Islay malts.
Umm... Dalwhinnie 15 is actually smoky. Nothing compared to an islay but there's a very noticeable whiff of peat smoke on the nose. For a lighter experience with little or no trace of smoke I'd go for a Glengoyne or a Glenkinchie.

Seconding kidsafe's comments about Auchentoshan.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
For intro level not peaty, I would recommend Glen Garioch 12 and Springbank 10. After researching them I selected them for a tasting at my company retreat and they were very smooth. Springbank has a LOT of vanilla character.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Deleuzionist posted:

Umm... Dalwhinnie 15 is actually smoky. Nothing compared to an islay but there's a very noticeable whiff of peat smoke on the nose. For a lighter experience with little or no trace of smoke I'd go for a Glengoyne or a Glenkinchie.

Seconding kidsafe's comments about Auchentoshan.
Haha I was going to mention Dalwhinnie is slightly peaty, but got sidetracked. And yeah Glenkinchie is quite safe, I think the combination of it being a Lowland and owned by Diageo makes it sound boring when it's actually pretty good. Glengoyne is a good way to find out if you like sherry bombs or not. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Is it strange that I completely missed the peat in Dalwhinnie 15? I don't remember tasting even a hint of it last time I tried it. :confused: