Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobservo posted:

Yeah, It's That Bad just dropped their last episode, where they actually acknowledge and discuss the problems some people had with the show. Someone also wrote a great send-off to YITB, and the comments section explains why they had to end it: apparently, a group of fans discovered the identities of the three hosts, and went to them with the news. Joel, Martin, and Kevin basically replied (politely) with "if you reveal this information, then we'll have to end the show." The fans called their bluff, and that's why it's over.

The show's content rarely rose above PG-13 levels, so I'm guessing one of the guys simply isn't allowed to do creative projects outside of work. It wasn't my favorite movie podcast, but it's sad to know that I'll no longer have an outlet to listen to those guys.

Holy poo poo the comment from the guy who tried to unmask them was one of the dumbest things I have ever read. They wanted exposure for their own lovely podcast so they decided t reveal their names and places of work? What kind of massive loser do you have to be to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Holy poo poo the comment from the guy who tried to unmask them was one of the dumbest things I have ever read. They wanted exposure for their own lovely podcast so they decided t reveal their names and places of work? What kind of massive loser do you have to be to do that?

It's completely hosed up that a bunch of assholes decided to ruin YITB for the sake of "a pretty popular blog."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was not a fan of the show at all but holy poo poo what a cunty thing to do.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobservo posted:

It's completely hosed up that a bunch of assholes decided to ruin YITB for the sake of "a pretty popular blog."

I love the "they politely asked us not to because they could lose their jobs heh knew that was bullshit" :smug: reasoning. What a complete douchebag, I really wanna see how great their "pretty popular blog" is.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

As someone who's probably on the level of who the gently caress ever posted that threat, what a terrible thing to do. That's so ungodly lovely and selfish, and not in the spirit of community that I've experienced (in my own limited ways) with other podcasters (like weekly font and the like).

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

bobservo posted:

Yeah, It's That Bad just dropped their last episode, where they actually acknowledge and discuss the problems some people had with the show. Someone also wrote a great send-off to YITB, and the comments section explains why they had to end it: apparently, a group of fans discovered the identities of the three hosts, and went to them with the news. Joel, Martin, and Kevin basically replied (politely) with "if you reveal this information, then we'll have to end the show." The fans called their bluff, and that's why it's over.

The show's content rarely rose above PG-13 levels, so I'm guessing one of the guys simply isn't allowed to do creative projects outside of work. It wasn't my favorite movie podcast, but it's sad to know that I'll no longer have an outlet to listen to those guys.
What kind of moron do you have to be to nonchalantly kill the thing you're supposedly the fan of? Mind boggles. I thought it was "my boss found out about the podcast and told me to cut it out" thing and this is just weird.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mq posted:

What kind of moron do you have to be to nonchalantly kill the thing you're supposedly the fan of? Mind boggles. I thought it was "my boss found out about the podcast and told me to cut it out" thing and this is just weird.

I don't think their actual fans. Reading their comment it reads like they desperately wanted attention for their own show, saw this one was relatively popular, made up some bullshit to try and justify it and then, because they're massive nerds, though A RIVETING EXPOSE on some bad movie podcasters that included personal details lik exactly where they work would get them listeners.

Seriously, what is this garbage?

Idiot posted:

Well, I warned them! My college friends and I have a pretty popular blog and need to do this. We listen to this show every week and love it, but, we didn't think it was fair that the guys remained such a mystery. That's really the only thing we all had a problem with. So, after months of digging, we were going to do an unveiling of the men behind the podcast on our own podcast on Wednesday, July 31! So, we sent Joel an email and he said that if we post this, that all their jobs were in jeopardy and they would be fired for doing this podcast. We knew that was bogus. So, for all you hardcore fans out there, here's some "Yeah, it's that bad trivia" to use at your next party! Martin **** - he's the lead graphic designer working at **** somewhere in the Northeast. Kevin **** - he's a CPA and an operations manager for **** and used to work at **** a few years ago. We're still looking into Joel, who remains very undercover but we do know his last name is ****! We have some pictures of the guys, as well! See, they're just normal guys! We love the show and just wanted the hosts to not remain such a mystery anymore!!!!! Thanks guys!

How do you not realize how much of a giant creepy weirdo you are for doing something like that?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

How do you not realize how much of a giant creepy weirdo you are for doing something like that?

I was wondering what the banned Helldump guys were up to these days.

The latest HDTGM is pretty good, especially the interview with Matthew Berry. He's got a pretty good sense of humor about that movie and some cool stories about Paul Hogan trying to gently caress him/his writing partner over.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hewlett posted:

As someone who's probably on the level of who the gently caress ever posted that threat, what a terrible thing to do. That's so ungodly lovely and selfish, and not in the spirit of community that I've experienced (in my own limited ways) with other podcasters (like weekly font and the like).

I got paranoid and removed all the last names of my crew from our website. The terrorists have already won.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It seems weird to me that a job wouldn't allow you to do creative things on the side, but I guess this is more common than I thought? Would his job have been equally compromised if he was caught like making dreamcatchers and selling them at a flea market?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font posted:

I got paranoid and removed all the last names of my crew from our website. The terrorists have already won.

It wouldn't be hard for people to find out my full name, to be honest, but yeah it's pretty lovely to try to 'force' people into outing themselves out of some misplaced, needy sense of 'transparency.' It's just the weirdest, most useless crusade.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

It seems weird to me that a job wouldn't allow you to do creative things on the side, but I guess this is more common than I thought? Would his job have been equally compromised if he was caught like making dreamcatchers and selling them at a flea market?

As someone who's produced a podcast for the past few years, I can definitely say this problem comes up every now and again; it's needless paranoia, but some employers can be dicks. I guess I don't really understand the repercussions of someone finding out you did something on the Internet, because we're all kind of doing stuff on the Internet every day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Weird. I stopped listening to Yeah, It's That Bad when they switched to an all-viewer request format. It made the film selection a lot more boring and I wasn't very fond of a lot of aspects of the show. But my own distaste for the show didn't make me hope they would stop. You've got to be a really pathetic person to do this.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

bobservo posted:

As someone who's produced a podcast for the past few years, I can definitely say this problem comes up every now and again; it's needless paranoia, but some employers can be dicks. I guess I don't really understand the repercussions of someone finding out you did something on the Internet, because we're all kind of doing stuff on the Internet every day.
I still don't get it. What possible reason can an employer have for not liking that his employees have hobbies outside of work?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

TheRealGunde posted:

I still don't get it. What possible reason can an employer have for not liking that his employees have hobbies outside of work?

Some companies are super strict. They don't want things to reflect badly on them. The show wasn't bad, but they did curse a bit so I could sorta see a really strict company cracking down.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
jesus christ "Now You See Me" has to be on How Did This Get Made. Wow, what a movie.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Zsinjeh posted:

jesus christ "Now You See Me" has to be on How Did This Get Made. Wow, what a movie.

They did a Benson Interruption on it and unbeknownst to them the director was in the audience the whole time.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Anyone listen to the app-only bonus episodes of WHM? It seems as if A Side Order of Sleaze is going to be spun off into a more regular thing.

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD

bobservo posted:

Anyone listen to the app-only bonus episodes of WHM? It seems as if A Side Order of Sleaze is going to be spun off into a more regular thing.

I would, but the app doesn't work on either my phone or my tablet. I wonder if it would work on BlueStacks or something.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Zsinjeh posted:

I actually really like the first third or so of the movie. And then the rest happened :psyduck:.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Mob posted:

They did a Benson Interruption on it and unbeknownst to them the director was in the audience the whole time.
Yeah haha, that's what initially made me go see the movie. And goddaaaaaaamnnn, I felt like the biggest dork ever to physically start making cringe-noises after a while but drat.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've only seen the trailer, but at one point the Facebook movie kid says "The first rule of magic is always being the smartest guy in the room" or something like that. Now, I'm no magician, but I'm pretty sure that's not at all any rule of magic, let alone the first one.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Beeez posted:

I've only seen the trailer, but at one point the Facebook movie kid says "The first rule of magic is always being the smartest guy in the room" or something like that. Now, I'm no magician, but I'm pretty sure that's not at all any rule of magic, let alone the first one.
Oh you thought it was about entertaining the audience with fun sleight of hand and illusions igniting their childhood wonder?

I guess you're not the smartest guy in this thread :smugdog:

They literally, "literally!", have superpowers in this film. So sick of the Mentalist trope and hypnosis actually being real mind control.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's insane that in the movie about how the power of illusion in a master's hands can be their greatest tool, one dude is literally a magic hypnotist.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Two really good Flophouse Podcasts in a row. Between Stewart's Werner Hertzog and Elliott's Sylvester Stallone, an awesome episode.

I wish they recorded shows once a week though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The anticipation makes it better.

This may be the greatest Flophouse in a long streak of amazing ones. "Like a bullet to the mouth."

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Golden Bee posted:

The anticipation makes it better.

This may be the greatest Flophouse in a long streak of amazing ones. "Like a bullet to the mouth."

The mailbag song was one of the best too!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Thank god Tuff Turf is on Netflix. This movie is the most insane thing I have ever seen.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

After taking a summer vacation through August (we did it first WHM :argh:) my lovely little podcast came back and recorded an episode on the Miley Cyrus and Demi Moore teen(?) comedy(??) LOL a DAY before the VMA shitstorm occurred. I think this is one of our better episodes so far and it's relevant without making a bunch of twerk twerk Miley jokes.

https://ia601900.us.archive.org/0/items/netflixmartyrs_gmail_LOL/LOL.mp3

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
So, I've listened to a few of the podcasts recommended in this thread to fill the YITB sized hole in my podcasting soul (or whatever). I found the Flophouse fun, and I liked some of How Did This Get Made, and I do like what I've heard of Alcohollywood, but so far, I think the one that's grabbed me the most has been We Hate Movies. Yes, the episodes are long, but I'm actually impressed at their ability to talk about stupid movies that long, and make it so entertaining. The length is also pretty good, considering I tend to listen to podcasts when I'm doing illustrations, and I'm not going to be doing an illustration that only takes 40 minutes. So yes, I give We Hate Movies my vote - based on the episodes I've listened to so far (Tuff Turf, and Foodfight), but I did really enjoy the Flophouse episode on Bratz, and the HDTGM episode on Spice World. I don't know, there's something about ripping apart dumb teen movies that I find way more entertaining than say...dumb sci fi or dumb action.

TheRealGunde posted:

I think most people haven't yet grasped two things. Employers haven't grasped that people have a presence on the internet outside of their work, and it's personal stuff and doesn't have anything to do with their job (after all, why can't people be a little silly in their downtime?), and some employees haven't yet grasped the fact that they can be googled by employers, or family members, and stupid things that they wrote about or said or did could become public. In regards to my review show, I at first tried to keep my information completely separate from my online identity, mainly so that my family wouldn't find out (because i guess I thought they'd find it stupid, or be overly critical), and also so that prospective employers wouldn't find it too easy to track me down (and I used a different username to the one that I'd used since I was a young idiot of 14.) Thing is, after a while, my show got linked to my Twitter which has my real name on it, and my family found out, so I didn't keep the secret very well. I doubt it would cause much concern if it was found out by employers (unless they were homophobes, because the show is primarily about LGBT cinema), but I think if you didn't know about it, you probably wouldn't find it in a cursory google. I do, however, try to keep critical or specific information about my workplace out of my Twitter or Facebook, because that's the sort of thing that *does* get people fired, or not hired. But the idea of not being able to have a hobby outside of work? I think the employers of YITB were crazily overzealous if their jobs would be in jeopardy for doing a podcast. And if that were the case, people really should have respected that, and not gone all internet detective on them.

bobkatt013 posted:

Thank god Tuff Turf is on Netflix. This movie is the most insane thing I have ever seen.

Oh my god, Tuff Turf...I mean the trailer looked rather special... (Oooh, James Spader's so TOUGH! He's on his bicycle!) but from the sounds of the WHM review...it's even more insane than the trailer made it look.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I find WHM good, but really negative (as a name like "We Hate Movies" would suggest). Flop House takes a break by being extremely random, and its one of the podcasts that really brings more to bear as you go along. The Wyatt Cyenac episode is twice as good the second time when you realize how contest and 7-Pounds related it all gets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I like how WHM and Flophouse are basically two sides of the same coin. They both have great chemistry between each other and all that, and both do sometimes random bits (WHM's 'Sex Corral' bit was loving amazing), but Flophouse just focuses on movies that flopped either in quality or in money and sometimes goes 'ya know that was a pretty good lovely movie' and WHM just focuses on hot street trash.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I love Tuff Turf, and WHM. Although my favorite is when WHM deals with movies they kind of like.

Also I'm here to pimp the podcast I make with a friend of mine. We just reviewed Gigli. We've got 36 episodes up as of now. Site here: http://www.yourstupidminds.com/, RSS feed here: http://yourstupidminds.libsyn.com/

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

laz0rbeak posted:

I love Tuff Turf, and WHM. Although my favorite is when WHM deals with movies they kind of like.

Well, they kind of liked Tuff Turf? I watched it. I can confirm its insanity, its sleazy, rapey vibe, bizarre shifts in tone, and a blazing undercurrent of homoeroticism. For some reason, I seem to enjoy bad movie podcasts about really dodgy teen movies and girly movies especially. Loved the Flophouse's episode on Bratz, the HDTGM one on Spice World, and WHM's Tuff Turf was so great. I also listened to their review of This Means War, which I also thought was excellent (the review, not the film). I remember seeing the trailer for that in the movie theatre, and at the end, I could very clearly hear someone in the theatre simply saying "No." My thoughts entirely.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

laz0rbeak posted:

Also I'm here to pimp the podcast I make with a friend of mine. We just reviewed Gigli. We've got 36 episodes up as of now. Site here: http://www.yourstupidminds.com/, RSS feed here: http://yourstupidminds.libsyn.com/

Added to the OP.

If anyone wants any modifications/additions/subtractions to the OP just let me know here or via PM.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Perhaps a little off topic but I feel that people here would appreciate the Best Of The Worst segment from Red Letter Media. They review three bad movies each episode and they've had some real gems. With classics like Gymkata and Miami Connection to some really strange stuff like The Dance Of Birth and hopefully one day Tree Stand Safety. I'd definitely recommend fans of bad movies check them out.

Their newest episode had a movie straight out of a WHMs side order of sleaze which looks to be coming back. :toot:

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I have posted this in the past in the Pimp Your Podcast thread, but I figured I'd share here in the Podcasts about bad movies thread as well.

I'm one of the co-hosts for the Bloody Good Horror Podcast, which I actually saw mentioned a couple pages back! We focus on new theatrically released horror flicks every week, then turn to Netflix when there's nothing new out. As you can imagine with horror movies...we cover a lot of bad stuff! You can find us on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/bloody-good-horror/id276600697

If this is out of line, I apologize!

That said, I'm stoked to find this as outside of NOTLP, I haven't had a good Movie podcast in awhile. I got kind of tired of Doug Benson's show awhile ago, (nothing against him, I just don't always agree with him) and haven't really found a good replacement. I'll definitely be checking out some of the mentions in here though, there's a couple that sound like they'd hit the spot.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I didn't get it from the how did this get made podcast, but I can't tell if toys is or isn't worth watching. Is that a movie I should revisit after having listened?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Veskit posted:

I didn't get it from the how did this get made podcast, but I can't tell if toys is or isn't worth watching. Is that a movie I should revisit after having listened?

No. Never.

That being said, after listening to the We Hate Movies Cliffhanger episode I immediately rewatched that classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Shockoween Shocktober, everyone! Episode #136 of the Flop House, ATM, is now available.