Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Loose lug nuts

This happened to my girlfriend's car too; after she got it back from the shop she kept complaining to me that it "felt like a wheel was about to fall off!" :rolleyes:

So after a few days of that I had her take me for a ride, then I got out and had her drive by me once because it felt like her rim was bent and I wanted to see it from outside the car. Turned out her lugnuts were just finger tight and one of the wheels was cocked at an angle because of it. :stare: So her original assessment was in fact accurate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I just had new tires put on at Discount Tires or Tire Discounters in Ohio. I went out yesterday to do my brakes, popped the little piece out that covers my lug nuts, and noticed that I only had 4/5 lug nuts on one of my wheels. The end of the stud had been mangled, probably cross threaded when the tech put the lug nuts back on without finger threading them first. They compensated for this by putting the other 4 on so tight that I twisted the chrome off one of the other lug nuts trying to get it off.

They're putting in a new stud on Monday but its still pretty hosed up that they let a car leave their shop like that without letting the customer know.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Veins McGee posted:

I just had new tires put on at Discount Tires or Tire Discounters in Ohio. I went out yesterday to do my brakes, popped the little piece out that covers my lug nuts, and noticed that I only had 4/5 lug nuts on one of my wheels. The end of the stud had been mangled, probably cross threaded when the tech put the lug nuts back on without finger threading them first. They compensated for this by putting the other 4 on so tight that I twisted the chrome off one of the other lug nuts trying to get it off.

They're putting in a new stud on Monday but its still pretty hosed up that they let a car leave their shop like that without letting the customer know.

12 or so years ago the clutch pedal hit the floor on my beetle when I was going to TAFE at a town about 75km from home. The mechanic fixed it but it wasn't until a year maybe later I discovered what had really happened. the clutch lever came off the shaft on the outside of the transmission so they welded it on. To hook the clutch cable back on to the lever on the clutch they cut a gaping hole in the tunnel with an angle grinder and left it that way, just covered by the rubber mat. I found this when I went to mount a fire extinguisher. Angry was an understatement.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I had an alignment shop twist the head off one of my rear trailing arm mount bolts and loving not tell me. It wasn't until I went for an alignment at another shop that they told me the head was gone. Never went back to that other shop again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My mate had tyres done on his galant a few years ago. When we took the wheels off to do the brakes (with hand tools) half the studs snapped because the tyre shop just whaled on them with retard strength using a massive rattlegun. Then when we went there to complain the guy claimed the car had the wrong wheel nuts on it.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
RE: Dipshits leaving lug nuts loose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHT84A5t418

"IT FELL THE gently caress OFF."

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Just after I bought my first car and hadn't the knowledge or tools to do the work myself, I paid a shop to do the axles and tie-rods. Two days later, in the middle of Friday rush hour traffic on the D.C. Beltway, the drivers side tie rod comes out of the knuckle, causing the steering to do whatever the gently caress it wanted at random times for the rest of the trip to Maryland. Once I got to a place to check what was up I discovered that whoever had done the job hadn't put a cotter pin in the nut and it backed off. That was the first and last time I let a shop touch my personal vehicles.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Right out of highschool, I had a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim(2.5 4cylinder) that leaked oil like a sieve but never quit running. I put it in a local shop to get the exhaust re-done after the muffler fell off and the pipe had holes rusted through from the cat back. The alternator belt chirped a little on startup but went away within a second or 2. The shop graciously tightened the alternator belt without asking me, and charged me $45 for the gesture. About 2 months later the belt snapped, and when I went to replace it, I noticed that they broke the tensioner system and just booger welded it together to make it work. The tensioner system was a long captive bolt that would move the tensioner when turned either direction and they snapped the bolt. gently caress lazy shitheads who gently caress the customer over to cover their mistakes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A friend had a Ford Galaxy people carrier and last time she took it to the shop they put on two new tyres. A week later she took it back because it was behaving funny on one certain corner in her commute. They quickly admitted their mistake of fitting one 60 profile tyre and one 50 profile.

It's still the best shop in her area sadly.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
On lugnut chat. I did a silly thing last week. When I put the OE wheels on the Niva I forgot to to a final torque on one wheel apparently. Luckily I do them as tight as I can manage when the wheel is still up but they weren't much better than finger tight. I found this after a test drive so it's not too disastrous and I was checking the nuts to make sure nothing loosened off anyway but still it could have been bad.

I think I got confused when I started pulling the fronts off before I finished putting them on. The black paint was coming off one in big flakes and the other had a big patch of brushed on white paint which just looked too lovely for even me so I quickly took them off to rattlecan them. I was rushing. Even shoved them back on still wet so I could finish.

Moral: Don't rush.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cakefool posted:

A friend had a Ford Galaxy people carrier and last time she took it to the shop they put on two new tyres. A week later she took it back because it was behaving funny on one certain corner in her commute. They quickly admitted their mistake of fitting one 60 profile tyre and one 50 profile.

It's still the best shop in her area sadly.

I almost hosed up a BMW M3 (!) rim once when they pulled the wrong size tire. Either an 18 or 19 inch rim, the tire was one inch smaller, and I didn't notice (assuming at the time the CSAs knew how to read; I've learned my lesson there) and tried to put it on, stretched the bead past its yield limit.

This after, on the same car, I had earlier had to teach them about staggered tires when they sold 4 wide rear tires. I didn't notice until very late because the car had its spare on, which was the width of the rear tire. So I had to remove the over-wide tire that wouldn't go on the narrow front tire and reinstall the old one, remove and junk the already-inflated one from the spare and re-install that old tire (we can't restock or return used tires, which is defined as mounted and inflated), and wait for the correct-size tires for the front to be ordered before we could replace them.

Some shops just don't have their poo poo together, and it's not always the techs' fault.

On the other hand, there's a couple guys in my shop who think it's fine to wail on each lug nut for >10 seconds with the impact gun "to make sure it's tight enough :rolleye:,".. and then use the torque wrench. Did you know that it only takes ~15 ft*lbs to hold the weight of most cars, and the rest is solely for preload? And that torque wrenches are only accurate if they click while the fastener is rotating? But try and explain to these guys static vs. sliding friction, or breakaway torque.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

2001 Honda insight CVT transmission. 230,xxx miles. Pulled off the freeway and went to accelerate and after a loud bang engine freewheeled as in neutral. No forward or reverse in any mode. Dealer diagnostic reported no input shaft rotation detected.

input shaft looks normal. It must be the CVT belt

Wait, no I think there were supposed to be splines in that flywheel

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The really exciting stuff surely is inside the transmission. It's like a Kinder Surprise of mechanical destruction. :f5:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The really exciting stuff surely is inside the transmission. It's like a Kinder Surprise of mechanical destruction. :f5:

Are the CVTs that bad?

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I'm not so sure there is anything mechanically broken inside. The failure appeared to be the flywheel splines. I can turn the seemingly undamaged input shaft easily and moving the gear selector on the top of the casing to the drive position the final drive appears to be turning which would indicate the steel van doorne belt is still intact. I just can't figure out what would wear the splines out like that. From what I read most early Honda CVT's common failure point is the input shaft bearings which when failing give off the sound of popcorn popping when accelerating. I never heard that sound in my car.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
If I had to hazard a guess there was probably a flaw on the flywheel or input shaft splines that allowed some slack in the fitment. Get enough forward to reverse changes or just acceleration to coasting cycles and you eventually wear away the softer material until it just has enough slack to tear it all through. Hell it could have just been a stress fracture in one or two matching grooves that when they broke completely overloaded the rest of the remaining gear. With enough time that stress just ripped out all the teeth.

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012
Starter from Kawasaki js440 (friend didn't realize you don't have to hold the start button in to keep it running)

Same friend from earlier photo but this is a picture of his 2AZ-FE motor in his Camry. Rod decided it didn't like the side of the block so it punched a hole in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Are the CVTs that bad?
No, but I was kind of hoping the flywheel teeth would still be bouncing in there like tiny flechettes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I had that happen to me while driving my boss' civic hybrid. No idea what actually failed though because it just sat next to the shop the whole rest of the time I worked there. To be fair, it had given a good amount of warning and made weird noises when you tried to accelerate at anything past about half throttle.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Lugnut chat:

I noticed most of the places you go these days make you sign the bottom of the workorder stating you will bring the car back in 20 or so miles of driving or retorque the wheels yourself.

I went to one tire shop years ago where the owner would not let any car leave until he or one of his service writers used a torque wrench to set every lug right in the parking lot.

The response from the customers and confidence it gave me caused me to buy two sets of tires from the place.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

Lugnut chat:

I noticed most of the places you go these days make you sign the bottom of the workorder stating you will bring the car back in 20 or so miles of driving or retorque the wheels yourself.

I went to one tire shop years ago where the owner would not let any car leave until he or one of his service writers used a torque wrench to set every lug right in the parking lot.

The response from the customers and confidence it gave me caused me to buy two sets of tires from the place.

Yep. The place I go to they use a torque wrench and follow correct order. That won them major points. I've had to take cars to a mechanic before just so they can get the nuts loosened off because some chucklefuck has torqued them to oblivion. I still have one or two wheel spanners around that I twisted one of the arms off trying to undo nuts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'll be honest, I put the 4-way on mine and crank the motherfuck out of them. I do use the proper star pattern though. They're on and off the truck so often they never have half a chance of getting seized between removals, and I've never had a wheel come loose, except that one time where I wasn't careful to get all the grime off a wheel mounting surface after dropping a drum face down on a wet dirt road. Even then, I figured out what was going on well before the wheel fell off, and it wasn't really the fault of my torquing procedure, if it's worth calling that.

Never broken a stud, never stripped a lug nut, never had a wheel come off due to improper torque.

Those stupid OEM lug nuts with the chromeplate sheetmetal condom can go straight to hell though, I spent ten minutes digging a cap out of my lug wrench once and haven't used OEM lug nuts on the truck since then. The crapcan DD still has them on it, but won't within a few weeks. I usually carry the old OEM lug nuts and a couple lug studs in the center console in case someone I know ends up needing one in a pinch or something.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

General_Failure posted:

Yep. The place I go to they use a torque wrench and follow correct order. That won them major points. I've had to take cars to a mechanic before just so they can get the nuts loosened off because some chucklefuck has torqued them to oblivion. I still have one or two wheel spanners around that I twisted one of the arms off trying to undo nuts.

My wheels are knock-off, knock on. I torque them with a hammer, then (theoretically) they torque themselves.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I had to go rescue a coworker the other week because he'd got a flat - his Focus had the chrome tinplate-covered nuts, and all the standard wheelbrace from the toolkit achieved was to chew a few of them up, leaving him with a hosed 19mm wheelbrace, two 18mm nuts, two sort-of-19mm nuts and a security nut his wheelbrace no longer fitted the key for.

The uncovered now-18mm nuts were dead easy, because I had a socket set with me, same for the security nut, but the other two nuts with damaged chrome sheathing were a royal pain. 18mm socket too small, 19mm just chewed them up, and there wasn't enough grip to pull the damaged covers off with pliers. Eventually managed it with a combination of smacking the smaller socket onto them and pulling while trying to lever them off with a screwdriver (without scratching his wheel).

Pain in the arse design. Also got moaned at because, you know, half an hour of my time to go fetch him on top if him being stuck there was clearly the wrong call over having to have him sit out there for a couple of hours waiting on a recovery service. :rolleyes:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I'll be honest, I put the 4-way on mine and crank the motherfuck out of them. I do use the proper star pattern though. They're on and off the truck so often they never have half a chance of getting seized between removals, and I've never had a wheel come loose, except that one time where I wasn't careful to get all the grime off a wheel mounting surface after dropping a drum face down on a wet dirt road. Even then, I figured out what was going on well before the wheel fell off, and it wasn't really the fault of my torquing procedure, if it's worth calling that.

Never broken a stud, never stripped a lug nut, never had a wheel come off due to improper torque.

Those stupid OEM lug nuts with the chromeplate sheetmetal condom can go straight to hell though, I spent ten minutes digging a cap out of my lug wrench once and haven't used OEM lug nuts on the truck since then. The crapcan DD still has them on it, but won't within a few weeks. I usually carry the old OEM lug nuts and a couple lug studs in the center console in case someone I know ends up needing one in a pinch or something.

Same. When i tighten a lug nut, they STAY tightened.

(Read: Stir welded together.)

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Speaking of lugnuts...
When I was young and very stupid, I was driving late at night in the middle of nowhere, when my car developed a very odd shaking/thumping sound. Unfortunately, I did not know anything about cars, so I didn't know what to look at, poke with a stick, etc. so I kept driving, hoping it'd get better. Nope, a mile later the left front wheel fell off (in the words of Ron White "O.F.F. it fell the gently caress off") and went rolling down the road, and my brake disk started grinding away, sending sparks up past the window. Yup, you guessed it, the lug nuts started to back out, allowing the tire to wobble back and forth, hammering the nuts with every revolution. It was a crappy car anyways (86 Chevy Cavalier) with many other things wrong, so it wasn't worth the money to fix it, so I donated it to a scrap yard. I vaguely remember having a picture of the car, and maybe even one of the missing wheel, but it was many moves ago, and an actual paper picture, so who knows where it is.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Automotive Insanity > PYF Horrible Engine Block Upskirts

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I remember doing some work on my dads (later my) 1994 Volvo 850 years ago that involved removing a front wheel. Afterwards we both noticed and odd clunk when cornering at speed. Somehow we decided it was the CV joint and took it to our garage, but they said it was fine and we remained puzzled. That night I took the center cap of that wheel off and found I installed the wheel bolts finger tight.

He still calls me "Lugnut" from time to time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

seems like your engine parts wanted a window seat.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Also airplane brake fire chat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFhned9man8

What did that hit?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm guessing a lot of compressed gases or possibly some water. Hydrolocking an engine is a great way to make rods look like that, or worse.

Bulletproof engines will generally run for a few hundred to a few thousand miles after a mild to mid range severity hydrolocking (and then sling a rod through the block when you least expect it), delicate engines usually buckle a rod, break a piston, and/or ventilate the block immediately. I've got ~5-10k miles on one of my engines after hydrolocking it 4 times - once badly (two cylinders completely drowned, but happened almost at idle) and three times fairly gently. It's got a bit of rod knock starting now... I have a spare engine sitting in storage waiting for the day it's needed.

e: that engine was caught at just the right time, the rod's been buckled over and then bent back, a cycle or two more of bending and it'll snap and ruin the block. Probably repairable as it stands in the picture, just a new rod/rod bearing/wristpin, maybe a new piston and crank if poo poo's already gone south somewhat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Gonna go ahead and guess that was a Jeep 4.0.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It was from a friend-of-a-friend. Pretty sure it was a drag car running meth injection and boost.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meanwhile on Reddit, someone managed to keep the broken parts from escaping.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

The front gear shake at 1:09 is loving mental. I bet it would have been deafening in the cockpit, assuming you could hear it over the flight crew making GBS threads their rectums convex.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rujo King posted:

The front gear shake at 1:09 is loving mental. I bet it would have been deafening in the cockpit, assuming you could hear it over the flight crew making GBS threads their rectums convex.

Did the loving tread spin off the left front gear wheel? :gonk:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Guys, this spare is okay to use, right?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Fucknag posted:

It's just the Vette's door doesn't look particularly pushed in to have been hit that hard. I know, plastic car and all, it just looks weird.

I'm pretty impressed with how the vette handled that collision, especially if its at 35-45 mph for a side impact from a towncar.. that's impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

MikeyTsi posted:

Guys, this spare is okay to use, right?

Give it a try and get back to us