Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Cook up some kale with lardons, garlic, s&p, and a little white wine vinegar, then put a perfectly fried egg with a runny yolk on top. Everyone should do this as often as possible. In fact, that's what I'm going to have for dinner tonight now that you made me think of it.

This also works with Brussels sprouts. Using rice wine vinegar and a dash of oyster sauce is a nice variation as well. And onion - add lots of onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

stop it, my pantry is barren and my wallet dry

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

bartolimu posted:

This also works with Brussels sprouts. Using rice wine vinegar and a dash of oyster sauce is a nice variation as well. And onion - add lots of onion.

With brussells sprouts, I like to slice them thin so they're kinda shredded, then cook them super fast in olive oil with plenty of salt and pepper, toasted slivered almonds, and a squeeze of lemon juice to finish. That's only if I'm getting fancy, though, usually I'll just cut them in half, toss in olive oil and salt and pepper, and either roast them or throw them on the grill for a bit.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
What do you guys do to them prior to get that funk taste out of them?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Pass puberty.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Toss some Parm on them and embrace it

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Learn to eat grown up food.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Eat hare at some point for immersion therapy.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Hah. Nothing more grown up than a dose of :smuggo: :)

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 14, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

You can also drown it in bacon, butter and garlic, my personal favorite preparation. :btroll:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I just found out there's a new pizza place near me owned by an Italian and a Korean. They sell a 28-inch kimchi pizza. I'm excited.

Within a week or two, I'll take pics and let you all know if you should envy me or not. :smug:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Hah. Nothing more grown up than a dose of :smuggo: :)

I actually don't get what you mean by funk taste. They can be a bit bitter, but cooking them properly and using fresh produce kinda eliminates that issue. Brussel sprouts can also be mushy, which is fixed by not overcooking them.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Eat them until you stop not liking them like a baby. This may take time.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
What funk taste? I take bites of them raw while I'm cutting them up for whatever and they're delicious. There's just a little bitterness that's easily cut by adding some acid to the dish (I prefer fresh lemon juice), but I really don't know what "funk" you're referring to. Maybe your mouth is broken?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

It's the cabbage funk, y'all. You know it's there.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Clavietika posted:

Agreed. I mean, they're delicious, but I understand what he's saying.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Shred and sauté those bad boys with a little parma ham and a dash of olive oil. Brussel sprouts own just as long as you don't boil them into tasteless mush.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

True story, if a chick eats pungent (sulphur?) vegetables it makes her pussy taste funky. Onions, cabbage, radishes...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

True story, if a chick eats pungent (sulphur?) vegetables it makes her pussy taste funky. Onions, cabbage, radishes...

true story, if a chick only eats mutton curries and coriander chutneys and pakoras for basically her entire life her pussy basically tastes like mutton curries and coriander chutneys and pakoras. :)

and rainbows :)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Prepare your brussel sprouts this way. Try it at least once - you'll thank me later.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Clavietika posted:

Only if you over cook them to all hell. Maybe it's because I grew up eating stinky fermented cabbage all the time, but the only time I notice the sulfurous notes in brussels is when someone steams or boils them to mush.

I usually blanch and saute lightly or roast until the outer leaves get a bit crisp, and don't notice the funk at all.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Charred brussels with red onion and garlic are the best guys.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Thank you to you and your girlfriend. I'll look for some noodle stalls. I'll be in Beijing for little bit, but not nearly long enough to even get a chance to explore. It's an agriculture/trade thing between my home state and Hebei Provence, so a lot of it will be in the countryside. I'll see if I can't get my hands on some good noodles though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Clavietika posted:

I think cabbage is more ska.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mindphlux posted:

true story, if a chick only eats mutton curries and coriander chutneys and pakoras for basically her entire life her pussy basically tastes like mutton curries and coriander chutneys and pakoras. :)

and rainbows :)

Right, where do all these lovely young ladies congregate?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Casu Marzu posted:

Only if you over cook them to all hell. Maybe it's because I grew up eating stinky fermented cabbage all the time, but the only time I notice the sulfurous notes in brussels is when someone steams or boils them to mush.

I usually blanch and saute lightly or roast until the outer leaves get a bit crisp, and don't notice the funk at all.

This is pretty much where I'm at on cabbages. It's only funky if you overcook it, otherwise it's a little bitter, at most.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SubG posted:

I think cabbage is more ska.

So what's punk? Beets?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

So what's punk? Beets?

Romanesco broccoli.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nah, Romanesco is most certainly prog rock.

Punk is radishes. They're p good when young but as they get older it just gets tough, unpalatable, and just bad.

Also beets are Blues. Pretty sweet and tasty and when you use it, you get a little bit of it on pretty much everything.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 15, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

And everybody knows green onions are R&B.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Fuckin' a.

Y'all do yourself a favor and listen if you don't know this song because like cooking for yourself knowing this song improves your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q

And cooked greens and runny egg yolks are the poo poo. Also omelets with greens in 'em. Learned to love callaloo omelets in Jamaica. And grace hot sauce. Egg yolks are, to misquote tony b, "butter from god."

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Ok, I think I'm caught up on foodchat. I made a bastardized Momofuku ramen the other day. Was pretty much the poo poo. 10# Pork neckbones from my farmer, well browned in the oven, the fond from that, a bit of chicken scrap, lots of green onions, bit of carrot, some homemade chicken stock to make up for not wanting to cook a whole chicken that day (budget!) I am broken and don't like shitakes that much, and didn't have any so I used dried oyster mushrooms, sheet of konbu. I think that's about it. Basic idea from herE:

http://foodnwhine.com/2013/01/08/momofuku-ramen-broth/

Had trouble finding good noodles, my local asian mart is run by koreans and they could give a gently caress about japanese things. Tried the very good korean-made fresh soba noodles (not what I wanted.) and some just ok fresh ramen. Ran some daikon through the mandoline and quick pickled it (with too much serrano for the wife, but it was good!) I had some smoked pork shoulder left over from a carolina style bbq, which was nice. More fresh green onions and soft-boiled eggs. Seasoned with some soy and lemon juice (no ponzu in the house.) The eggs were drat good, again from that link. Boil 5 min 10 sec exactly, ice bath, peel asap. Perfect eggs. Some pickled thai chiles because I love that poo poo.

That was pretty bomb, and I have 5 quarts of broth in the freezer for reruns. Ba-bam. Good poo poo. I've been dying to make ramen ever since watching mind of a chef.

Wish I could have done the ice cream challenge. I make the occasional batch of philly-style vanilla or strawberry but that's about it so far.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 15, 2013

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Hawkgirl posted:

I pickled for the first time! Just some shredded carrots in a quick pickle with white vinegar, salt, and sugar. Was intended for bun and banh mi and unfortunately I was at the white people supermarket where there were no daikon radishes to be found. :( But now I have a tupperware full of yummy carrots in my fridge. I will have to figure out other things to put them on.

I almost always have a jar of quick pickles in the fridge. Equal parts by volume sugar, vinegar, water. You could put shredded carrots in it but I usually just put a little hot chiles, a little onion, and a lot of cucumber. Eat with anything grilled or asian or with rice. Or bahn mi of course.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
There have been a few mentions of a quick pickle. What do you do for that? Is it just a mixture of equal parts white vinegar, sugar, and water to cover the item being picked, or is there boiling involved? I thought pickling salt is involved.

How fast is a "quick" pickle? A few hours or a few days?

edit: Just realized the home canning thread includes pickling.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

contrapants posted:

There have been a few mentions of a quick pickle. What do you do for that? Is it just a mixture of equal parts white vinegar, sugar, and water to cover the item being picked, or is there boiling involved? I thought pickling salt is involved.

Depends. There are Japanese quick pickles where you just slice the veg paper loving thin then throw it in some rice vinegar, mirin, soy, blah blah, and then boom you're done. A lot of 'em involve just slicing up the veg, adding your vinegar and seasonings and then throwing them together in a bowl or food storage bag or whatever and leaving them in the fridge overnight. There really isn't any rule for it, just depends on what you're pickling and how much you want it to take up the flavours you're throwing at it.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
That's just what I use for thinly sliced veg in the fridge. It's good in a few hours for cukes, and not much longer. Most other veg is good for a few days at least, or more, depending. I do chiles for months in a similar brine but less water, and sometimes with soy or fish sauce added and sugar removed.

e: and now that we mention it, I have an experiment in the fridge now, I'm trying to make my own pickled ginger. I have ginger sliced on a peeler, sugar, water, and vinegar in a jar in the fridge. After one day the ginger was strong and surprisingly bitter. I should check it.

e: still pretty sharp, day 3ish?

pr0k fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 15, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

contrapants posted:

edit: Just realized the home canning thread includes pickling.

Pickling salt is essentially table salt without the iodine and anti-caking agent. You can use regular table salt to pickle with but the liquid will get cloudy and the pickle darker.

You don't need to deal with the "oh god all that equipment and rules to follow what am I doing" you see in the OP of the canning thread for a quick pickle or refrigerator pickle. Refrigerator Dilly Beans are a great way to start.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey, tipping conversations always go well in here, right?

What do we think of this?

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2013/08/tipless_restaurants_the_linkery_s_owner_explains_why_abolishing_tipping.html

"What Happens When You Abolish Tipping
I got rid of gratuities at my restaurant, and our service only got better."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A+ would make every resturant that way (or the way that Next does it by selling all-inclusive tickets that vary in price based on what time/day of the week you go) that way forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
As a non food industry worker I hate this idea. I enjoying punishing people by not tipping them.

Maybe if they bootstrapped themselves up they'd make more than below minimum wage :smuggo: