Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What time is it?

So, what is Adventure Time? Adventure Time is a cartoon airing on Cartoon Network created by Pendleton Ward (the pilot can be seen here) that follows a young human boy named Finn and his magical dog Jake as they have adventures in the Land of Ooo which looks like this:

and just might be a post apocalyptic Earth. No, really! Look:

That's not important though. All you need to really know is that it's a show where a boy and his dog go on adventures. If there's anything else you need to know, the episodes themselves will most likely catch you up and if there's anything you're missing, this thread will point anything you might have missed out. Still, here are a few of the characters that will most likely be relevant and some of the stuff you might need to know about them (warning: this will contain spoilers).

Finn The Human voiced by Jeremy Shada.
Finn is (obviously) a human boy who might be the last human there is. He was found in the woods as a baby by Jake's parents and was raised by them. Finn's favorite thing in the world is going on adventures and he can't let someone who needs help to remain in need. He currently lives in a tree house near the Candy Kingdom with Jake and BMO. When the series began Finn was 12 but he ages as the series goes on and is currently about 14 and is currently going through all the awkwardness that entails.

At the beginning of the series he was romantically interested in Princess Bubblegum but she was too old for him and, while she liked him, she was not really interested in him in that way. Eventually he got involved Flame Princess, who was his age, but he recently screwed that up pretty bad and currently we're waiting to see how that goes. In general, Finn tries to do good but can get distracted and often let's himself get in his own way.

Jake the Dog voiced by John DiMaggio
Jake is a magical talking dog that can stretch himself and change his shape into pretty much anything. He is also Finn's best friend and adoptive brother. Jake is much more laid back than Finn, almost to a fault. His magic makes everything pretty easy for him, so he doesn't mind going on adventures but in general he just likes to relax. Jake tends to like to take the easiest path through things and doesn't take much very seriously. When things get serious, he tends to not handle it very well (by either freaking out or trying to ignore it). Still, he has a good heart and when it's important to him, he does the right thing. He also has a pretty shady past, which he tries to keep to himself, but still manages to pop up from time to time.

Jake is in a relationship with Lady Rainicorn and with her he has 5 kids, all of whom grew up really quickly.

Princess Bonnibel Bubblegum (aka Peebles aka P-bubs aka PB and many more!) voiced by Hynden Walch
Princess Bubblegum is the ruler and creator of the Candy Kingdom. She cares deeply for her subjects and also feels a great responsibility for their well being, trying to make sure all of them are happy, often doing some pretty sketchy things to ensure this. As a result, PB doesn't really have any sort of personal life but she's okay with this. She has a brilliant scientific mind and doesn't have much patience for those that reject science.

She sees Finn as a great Hero, whom she has great trust in and she cares for him but she also sees him as childish and is just too old for him (though her actual age is kind of unclear). At one point she was made younger and got much closer to Finn but eventually she had to return to her normal age, which caused her and Finn to grow distant again.

Lady Rainicorn voiced by Niki Yang
Lady Rainicorn is a mix between a Unicorn and a Rainbow that can also fly. She is Princess Bubblegum's closest friend and also her steed. She is also in a relationship with Jake and has five children with him. She speaks mainly Korean, which is not subtitled for the viewer.

Flame Princess voiced by Jessica DiCicco
At once point Finn's crush on Peebles was getting so bad that Jake went out to get him a girl his own age. He went to the Fire Kingdom and found Flame Princess, who Finn was instantly infatuated with. Flame Princess is a nice teenage girl mixed with fire. She's nice enough but she also has a desire to consume everything in flames. She was being kept locked up by her father on the advice of Princess Bubblegum because she has the potential to destroy the world (though that's currently under control). Her father claims that she's evil and he wants her to be evil bit Finn is convinced that there's good in her and does his best to bring that out.

Recently though, Finn used her secrets to trick her and she broke up with him. Where is this going to go? You'll just have to watch to find out!

Ice King (aka Simon Petrikov) voiced by Tom Kenny
Ice King is the main antagonist of the series, but he is also it's most tragic character. Once just a normal human, he found the ice crown which gave him immortality and ice powers but also slowly turned him insane. This insanity drove his fiance to leave him and the twisted memory of this moment drives him to try to find love by kidnapping the many princesses who live in the Land of Ooo (though he has a particular fondness for Princess Bubblegum). Overall, he just wants to be loved but he doesn't understand the concept and doesn't understand what about his behavior people don't find acceptable. Since he doesn't see what's wrong with his behavior, he tends to take people's attitude towards him as them just being mean. As of late he's been getting a little more sane and kidnapping less princesses, but he still has a long way to go.

When he was still sane he took care of a young Marceline, until his insanity presumably drove her away. He is over a thousand years old and one of the few inhabitants of Ooo that was around before the apocalypse (also known as the mushroom war). Currently he rules the Ice Kingdom with his many Penguins, all of whom are named Gunter (one of which likes smashing bottles and is the most evil being in the universe).

He also writes gender swapped fanfiction of the Adventure Time universe, which he wants to somehow bring to life.

Marceline the Vampire Queen voice by Olivia Olson
Marceline is a half demon, half vampire who just kind of does her own thing. She started out trying to mess with Finn and Jake but she quickly grew fond of them and is now their friend. While she is much older (like the Ice King she is over 100 years old), she acts like a pretty typical person in her 20s. She likes to have fun and play music. Her age has kind of messed with her concepts of right and wrong but in general she doesn't cause too much trouble and being friends with Finn has made her slightly better.

She doesn't get along with her demon father, Hunson Abadeer, who is a being of pure evil who wants her to follow in his footsteps (even forcing her to at one point). He also at one point ate her fries. When she was younger she was taken care of by a pre-insanity Ice King, who also gave her her most prized possession, a stuffed bear named Hambo. Hambo was sold by her ex-boyfriend Ash to a witch named Maya and only recently did he get him back with the help of Princess Bubblegum. She also used to be friends with PB, though they don't get along now and there might be more going on there than has been revealed.

BMO voiced by Niki Yang
BMO is Finn and Jake's video game console but also their friend and roommate. BMO is a bit crazy but not in a harmful way. It usually has bouts of wanting to be human or playing strange games but in general BMO is a loyal, sweet hearted computer that also can run lots of cool games. Recently ti was revealed that BMOs creator was still alive and he created it to Be More.

The Lich voiced by Ron Perlman
Not much is known about the Lich beyond the fact that it is a being that only has the desire to kill all life. He is probably the evilest of the series' antagonists, though he doesn't show up much. It is indicated that he is the result of the bomb that ended up putting the world in the state that it's currently in. He might currently be gone, but who knows at this point?

The Earl of Lemongrab voiced by Justin Roiland
Lemongrab was created by Princess Bubblegum to rule in her stead if she was unable to. When she was turned young he took over and proved himself to be an unpleasant, hard to be around, generally awful person (or whatever). When PB got her age back she gave Lemongrab his own kingdom to rule by himself. Eventually he grew lonely and after some unsuccessful attempts to get him some subjects, PB created another Lemongrab to keep the original company. Unfortunately she also left her creation recipe behind and Lemongrab created a whole kingdom of horrifying Lemon people. PB erased the formula from his brain and things went well for a while until the two Lemongrabs got into a fight and one partially ate the other. Recently, it was revealed one of the Lemongrabs was ruling his kingdom with an iron fist which caused the other one to rebel.

It's odd that this character has the most complex story so far but there we go. All you really need to know is that Lemongrab is really kind of a butt.

Lumpy Space Princess (aka LSP) voiced by Pendleton Ward
LSP is a self centered, self involved egotistical teenage type. She loves gossip and drama. She generally thinks she's pretty great and will go a long way with her stubbornness (being homeless for a while because she was fighting with her parents). She's irritating but she's supposed to be that way! If you don't like her you're just a hater that can't handle her Lumps!

Gunter voiced by Tom Kenny
The most evil of histories greatest monsters.

---

There's alot more characters I could have listed (Tree Trunks, Magic Man, Peppermint Butler...seriously I could go on) but I think these are the ones that are important (LSP barely made the cut though).

If you want to watch this show it currently airs in America on Cartoon Network on Mondays at 7:30pm EST (and they rerun it alot). If you don't get Cartoon Network or just generally want to buy the old episodes the whole series is up on Itunes. You can also get it on Amazon along with the blurays and DVDs. There's also a a comic and they even recently made an Encyclopedia that is much more thorough about this stuff than this OP.

Here is Frederator's blog where cool stuff is occasionally posted.

So in general this is a cool show and you should watch it. On the surface it's a fun kid's show taking place in a weird wild world. Be warned though, there is alot going on beneath the surface and people in this topic will talk about it. You might not always like the conversation but just bear with us and eventually we'll shut up and move on to something else.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
You are awesome good Goon! Much more detail then what I had gotten today! Should we add an FAQ or lists of discussions that inevitably end in a Derail? Either way awesome job

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Awesome. I love this show and you're the right person to make the thread.

This show is the only one I know that's made it so long without a drop in quality.

e: The Lich was really voiced by Ron Perlman?!

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

This show sucks.

I love you.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Oh yay, new thread!

Hey here's a question - if Black Lemongrab was supposed to be Baron Harkonnen, what was White Lemongrab?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I love this show and Regular Show because I can put it on and it not only entertains the kids, but also doesn't make me want to kill myself.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Jenx posted:

Oh yay, new thread!

Hey here's a question - if Black Lemongrab was supposed to be Baron Harkonnen, what was White Lemongrab?

Thufir Hawat, since he redeemed himself at the very end and died? Also, Finn said "So spice" in the episode...

There, now I'm the first person to grasp at straws in the new thread :colbert:

Millions fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 15, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In other news, the BMO app got an update, adding a Marcy soundboard for free and a music maker, 2 games, and wallpapers for 99 cents.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Alternate thread title: Adventure Time: Exploring the deep themes of a cookie princess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I will miss you, Old Adventure Time Thread.

Being told by all the regulars that we were "thinking too hard" about a "children's show"

All the arguments about where King Worm fits into the timeline

God of Evil Cows making a completely wacky guess that King Worm was full of hints about future episodes, which turned out to be true, but not in the ways he thought

The floodgates opening up for massive analysis

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 31, 2013

Spoon Snoops
Dec 27, 2010

Fetch me...
MY BLUE WINDBREAKER!
Requesting at least one gif of Gunther in the OP.

Gunter, are you blowin' it up in here? You are nasty, Gunter! You got a nasty booty, mister! Nasty!

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
"just might be a post-apocalyptic Earth"? It's pretty much confirmed to be at this point.

Cool new thread by the way. In the bios for Marceline and Ice King, I think you should mention that they're both over 1000 years old.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 15, 2013

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Little misspelling about rainicorns subtitles. You forgot the 't' in "her dialog is not subtitled"

Great OP!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MojoKingBee posted:

"just might be a post-apocalyptic Earth"? It's pretty much confirmed to be at this point.

Well it might not be Earth :tinfoil:

I'll add the rest of the suggested changes though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You may wanna put spoilers over stuff like the Ice King's past or Jake and Lady's kids.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Which episode is the image of the Earth with the chunk missing from? Somehow I always miss it, been through the series twice now.

Upon this last rewatch I've decided Thank You is my favorite episode. It's also the official turning point in Ice King's relationship with Finn and Jake :3:

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 15, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy Calamity! posted:

What's that image of the Earth with the chunk missing from? Somehow I always miss it, gone through the series twice now.

I don't have the episode in front of me, but I think Sons of Mars had a good clear shot and that may be it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You may wanna put spoilers over stuff like the Ice King's past or Jake and Lady's kids.

Eh, I warned before about spoilers and the OP is kind of there to quickly catch people up to where the characters currently are in the series than anything else.

Holy Calamity! posted:

Which episode is the image of the Earth with the chunk missing from? Somehow I always miss it, been through the series twice now.

I thin the first shot of it was from here (blink and you'll miss it):

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

axleblaze posted:

Well it might not be Earth :tinfoil:
You think Cheers was broadcast to other planets?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I don't have the episode in front of me, but I think Sons of Mars had a good clear shot and that may be it.

Pretty sure that picture is from "The Real You", just like the GIF posted above.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

I don't want to live in a universe where only Earth get to know the joy of Cheers.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

nooneofconsequence posted:

Well....

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

It's also shown in related media, like the Adventure Time encyclopedia and comics.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Is the Encyclopedia worth it? I'm not really strong in the monetary department, and I've got so much stuff I want to buy and read that I try to not just throw money away. It seems promising, and I love those kinds of setting books about shows and stuff, so if anyone who has it wouldn't mind sharing what the quality of the content is like, I'd much appreciate the review.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

Jenx posted:

Is the Encyclopedia worth it? I'm not really strong in the monetary department, and I've got so much stuff I want to buy and read that I try to not just throw money away. It seems promising, and I love those kinds of setting books about shows and stuff, so if anyone who has it wouldn't mind sharing what the quality of the content is like, I'd much appreciate the review.

I thought it was great and really funny. Martin Olsen really got into Hunson's character, which makes sense given that he voices him. I'd say it was worth every penny.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't think Ice King can really be called the main antagonist of the show anymore. That is clearly the Lich's deal. Certainly in the early seasons, but he is basically just their crazy uncle Simon at this point. Maybe not worth changing in the OP but I can't recall if Ice King did anything evil this season, at least since Simon & Marcy.

Why should Jake's kids be spoilers? They are now cast members, they aren't a big secret, and Jake's relationship with Lady is basically always great, so it doesn't potentially spoil anything I can think of.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I really like it but I still haven't read the whole thing yet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jenx posted:

It doesn't have anything new. If you have a good memory then you might be disappointed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

I can't recall if Ice King did anything evil this season

He ended all of reality and killed everyone alive that time.

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He ended all of reality and killed everyone alive that time.

And just sending that hair eating video is evil enough. Ugh. *shudders*

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
"A Glitch is a Glitch" is an odd one to place because while it was this season, it took the guy years to make and when he wrote it, it was based more around where the show was at that time. As a result, it's most likely taking place in the first season or so rather than when it aired though there's nothing definitively placing it at any point in time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Even then, there isn't the malice in Ice King like there is in the Lich, he attempted to erase the world so that he could argue PB into going on a date with him.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

Even then, there isn't the malice in Ice King like there is in the Lich, he attempted to erase the world so that he could argue PB into going on a date with him.

Once he realized how far it was going though he still didn't give a crap because of his longing for Pebubs. There may not be malice but he was reckless and uncaring.

And my answer to it feeling out of continuity, think about the isle de seņorita. The episode opened up to him trying to silently kidnap Bubblegum. He still tries to kidnap Princesses even in this late of a season, but it's just not that common thanks to interventions from Marcy and Finn

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

Lemongrab is really kind of a butt.

UNACCEPTABLE!!!

axleblaze posted:

Rest of OP
acceptable.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Steve Yun posted:

I do like the idea that the ice crown is actually super awful and evil, and it just happens that simon is the nicest dude ever and so instead of making him a scary monster like it instantly made finn he's basically been able to resist and just become a dumb old man.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Right on, right on.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
Sweet, totally missed the last thread, will definitely be checking in here. And yeah, the Lich may be the evilest antagonist, and Ice King may be a weirdo amoral old dude, but Magic Man is hands down the biggest jerk on the planet (and Mars).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe not worth changing in the OP but I can't recall if Ice King did anything evil this season, at least since Simon & Marcy.

So he kidnapped a bunch of princesses to read them bad fanfiction... The greatest evil imaginable.

So clearly Adventure Time takes place on Omicron Persei 8!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Post more Beemo.

Beemo kick!
(He also does the electric slide in Jake Suit, but I couldn't find a gif of it).

No electrical appliances in the bath!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Say Nothing posted:

No electrical appliances in the bath!

Hahaha, this scene cracked me up so much! BMO is too adorable. :3:

• Locked thread