Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Just finished season 8 of Supernatural and holy gently caress have I enjoyed all the seasons. I'm most likely in minority here, but I found season 5 to be the weakest. It reminded me a lot of the season of Buffy, where she basically spend half of every episode crying. It just seemed like every episode had to have Sam and Dean in some way stating that they didn't trust each other. It wasn't a bad season or anything, I just got tired of that.

Jingleheimer posted:

Edit: Peacekeeper Wars is a movie, right? I know movies from sci-fi shows can be hit or miss but would it be worth my time to check out Peacekeeper Wars after finishing Farscape?

It resolves the last season and it's a decent movie, so yea its worth it imho.

I just started on Fringe and really enjoying. It's still a bit strange for me to finally have time to see so much tv, there are just so many series I never had time to watch before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Equester posted:

Just finished season 8 of Supernatural and holy gently caress have I enjoyed all the seasons. I'm most likely in minority here, but I found season 5 to be the weakest. It reminded me a lot of the season of Buffy, where she basically spend half of every episode crying. It just seemed like every episode had to have Sam and Dean in some way stating that they didn't trust each other. It wasn't a bad season or anything, I just got tired of that.

It resolves the last season and it's a decent movie, so yea its worth it imho.

I just started on Fringe and really enjoying. It's still a bit strange for me to finally have time to see so much tv, there are just so many series I never had time to watch before.

Sam and Dean have a fallout about every 10 episodes, doesn't matter what season you're talking about.

I enjoyed the Peacekeeper movie. It ties up everything for the series so it has a real ending, but Crichton threatening everyone with a spirit bomb that will eat the entire universe is so hilariously great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently I've been on a bit of an online Hey Arnold! binge, of all things. Nostalgic stuff, but there's little to equal it at this moment.

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

Spent 10 hours today marathoning Orange is the New Black and I still don't know if it's a good show or not but I liked it. If you like Weeds!

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005

rare bird posted:

Spent 10 hours today marathoning Orange is the New Black and I still don't know if it's a good show or not but I liked it. If you like Weeds!

I just did this aswell, can't say I was expecting much but it was definitely more than the generic 'fish out of water' sitcom the trailer I watched made it out to be.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Khorne Flakes posted:

I enjoyed the Peacekeeper movie. It ties up everything for the series so it has a real ending, but Crichton threatening everyone with a spirit bomb that will eat the entire universe is so hilariously great.
This was honestly one the best "this is the end of the show" payoffs I've seen. Epic and satisfying, while flowing naturally from the rest of the series.

drat Farscape was an awesome show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Equester posted:

I also just finished season 8, and the one thing it unambiguously had over season 5 was the :krad: finale (granted, firebombing an archangel was cool but they also just solved the whole issue by jumping in a pit). I still really enjoyed S5 though.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Ripper Street
A gritty police procedural set in London six months after Jack the Ripper murders. 4 episodes in and it's been pretty good so far. While an overarching plot is barely there and not that compelling to begin with (seriously, who cares what happened to these two back in the US?), individual cases are fun and the cast has a good chemistry together.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I finally finished Farscape. It's so good and I wish there was a thread here for me to talk about it in. Now I'm not sure what to watch next, but I think I'll stay on the sci-fi path and watch Stargate, and mix in season 7 of Psych when I need a break. And then there's still Hannibal to watch, and I also need to catch up on Breaking Bad before it starts up again. Oh god, I've seen so much, and yet there is still so much more that I have yet to see. Sooner or later I'm going to have to unhook all of my poo poo and throw it all in a closet or something so I can actually get some work done around the house.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jingleheimer posted:

I finally finished Farscape. It's so good and I wish there was a thread here for me to talk about it in. Now I'm not sure what to watch next, but I think I'll stay on the sci-fi path and watch Stargate

That makes sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ivnFZiGNM

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get on board The Almighty Johnsons every episode is drat near hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSxIOAo1N8

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

That skit always makes me really appreciate Gigi Edgley more, because I love Amanda Tapping, but that walk is 'drunken soccer mom' not Chiana.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Interesting to see a few others have been going through Farscape, since I've been watching it for the first time too. I was initially sceptical since other than BSG and Firefly I've never been much of a sci-fi guy, plus dodgy looking puppets and prosthetics but I'm 2/3 through season 1 and it's really starting to click. The initial 6 or so episodes were a bit rough since they were basically standalone episodes but the character relationships/interactions seemed all over the map, I couldn't really get a good read on where they all stood with each other. That has all eventually come together although (1x15 spoiler) on first impressions the new character is extremely grating to me. Rather than a dodgy puppet ruining MY IMMERSION I no longer have any issues with Rygel, in fact he's my favourite character.

One thing I really didn't like was the ridiculous motives for the main antagonist - Crichton's some random dipshit in a primitive craft with no loving weapons, and you even have video footage of the accident showing it (leaving aside the fact it's a loving space battle and your fighter pilot brother could get shot down at any moment). Seems like a really weak motive for Crais to defy orders and pursue Moya and crew. I get the feeling they had some feedback about this and tried to address it in 1x08 with the illusionist imprisoning Crichton and Crais but it still feels pretty weak. All in all though,a very enjoyable show and I've got a lot of episodes to work through.

I've also been running through HIMYM from the start - I had basically watched it as it aired up to the end of season 5 where I ran out of steam. I'm in new territory now with season 6 but a little nervous given the overwhelmingly negative feedback around here about later seasons. Hopefully that was more from people obsessed about the mother rather than a significant downturn in the humour. To me the mother is an almost irrelevant macguffin, I watch the show for the amusing hijinks of the 5 leads not really bothered at all about the mother situation.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Smorgasbord posted:

I've also been running through HIMYM from the start - I had basically watched it as it aired up to the end of season 5 where I ran out of steam. I'm in new territory now with season 6 but a little nervous given the overwhelmingly negative feedback around here about later seasons. Hopefully that was more from people obsessed about the mother rather than a significant downturn in the humour. To me the mother is an almost irrelevant macguffin, I watch the show for the amusing hijinks of the 5 leads not really bothered at all about the mother situation.

The later seasons definitely have their ups and downs. Season 6 has a very well done arc for the later half of the season with some very emotional episodes. Season 7 is a bit hit/miss but overall pretty good. Season 8 starts off terribly, but definitely picks up steam in the second half and ends on a legitimate "ok, let's see where this is going" note.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new season- but what the creators have said/what they have planned could make or break the series and make the whole series worth it. It will either end up incredibly dumb or the best thing the show has done in years. Rumour/Spoiler/Speculation - Read if you ever lost faith in the series The last season is rumoured to "take place" over three days, however to stretch that time it will be scattered with flashbacks and flash-forwards.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

CaptainHollywood posted:

The later seasons definitely have their ups and downs. Season 6 has a very well done arc for the later half of the season with some very emotional episodes. Season 7 is a bit hit/miss but overall pretty good. Season 8 starts off terribly, but definitely picks up steam in the second half and ends on a legitimate "ok, let's see where this is going" note.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new season- but what the creators have said/what they have planned could make or break the series and make the whole series worth it. It will either end up incredibly dumb or the best thing the show has done in years. Rumour/Spoiler/Speculation - Read if you ever lost faith in the series The last season is rumoured to "take place" over three days, however to stretch that time it will be scattered with flashbacks and flash-forwards.

Re: the spoiler - wow that's certainly innovative :stare:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and it's still gonna be a full 24-episode season, I believe. It could work but I foresee a lot of "OH HEY HERE'S THIS STORY I NEVER TOLD YOU ABOUT"

HIMYM ain't what it used to be but at its worst it's only "fairly mediocre", although there is more and more of that as you go on. Plus any slip in quality would be drastically lessened when marathoning and especially if you don't care about the mother - I really don't understand how eight years in there are people who are only watching for that moment.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Regarding that spoiler above about How I Met Your Mother, it's pretty clear that having flashforwards and flashbacks around the three-day wedding was done so the last line can be "..and THAT's how I met your mother." Including flashforwards at all means they can do that while also showing the development of their relationship. Which, I suppose, kind of satisfies everyone's requirements - so long as it doesn't get too messy as a result.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The last series I binged through were BTVS and Angel, and before that it was TNG and DS9. That was at the start of the summer, and since then I've been re-watching a lot of old Doctor Who serials to refamiliarise myself with them before the fiftieth anniversary.

In the meantime, I think the series I'm going to binge through next will be Babylon 5 (and hopefully The X-Files after that). It's heading back into space opera genre and I'm hoping it'll be fun because I'm going into it with next to no knowledge of how the plot progresses. The only "big" thing I know in advance is that the main character is replaced by Tron at the start of season two, and I wouldn't say that's too much of a spoiler.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

EddieDean posted:

Regarding that spoiler above about How I Met Your Mother, it's pretty clear that having flashforwards and flashbacks around the three-day wedding was done so the last line can be "..and THAT's how I met your mother." Including flashforwards at all means they can do that while also showing the development of their relationship. Which, I suppose, kind of satisfies everyone's requirements - so long as it doesn't get too messy as a result.

It should also be added that The Mother has been added as a MAIN Cast Member

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished catching up on Breaking Bad, and it's been a hell of a ride. I still have the episode from last week to finish but I'm very excited to see how all of this is going to end.

Fritata Rampage
Aug 16, 2013
I recently flew through X-files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I watch Firefly at least twice a month and mourn the fact that the show was cancelled so early.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm going through Party of Five on Amazon. The Salingers are terrible people and hurt everyone they date. I love it.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I finally decided to give Arrested Development a chance earlier this week. For some reason, I was never able to move beyond the pilot.

I already started season 4, and I hate myself for not liking this show sooner.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Troll Bridgington posted:

I finally decided to give Arrested Development a chance earlier this week. For some reason, I was never able to move beyond the pilot.

I already started season 4, and I hate myself for not liking this show sooner.

When you finish, watch it again. As good as the series is- it's a LOT better on the second and third viewings.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Currently busting through Breaking Bad season 5 to be up to date. Was trying to hold off and just burn through it all in one go, but the amount of scoops, spoilers & [i]"See what what Walt did next with this weird old tip"[/] information on the show, that are seemingly everywhere, now means I'm more likely to unwittingly uncover a spoiler for the show before I can sit down and binge through it in a weekend. So I've gotten up to date in two days (including going to work & sleeping) and will have to suffer the weekly wait for the next ep like everyone else...

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I finally got around to watching season 2 of Alphas. It was awesome and I wish there was more, shame that it ended the way it did though.

I also just finished the first season of Stargate SG-1. I thought some of the episodes were hit or miss but overall it was decent, and the last few episodes were really good. I'm really looking forward to starting season 2 in the next couple days.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm binging through Babylon 5 at the moment. I'm on the eighth episode of season two and it's pretty good so far.

Bruce Boxleitner as Captain Sheridan kinda reminds me of Martin Sheen as President Jed Bartlet for some reason; I'm not really sure why.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm binging through Babylon 5 at the moment. I'm on the eighth episode of season two and it's pretty good so far.

Bruce Boxleitner as Captain Sheridan kinda reminds me of Martin Sheen as President Jed Bartlet for some reason; I'm not really sure why.

They both have that innate decency/don't gently caress with me dual vibe. Plus they both smile a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's because I've not watched The West Wing in years, but Bruce Boxleitner even seems to look and sound a bit like Martin Sheen to me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My wife bought The Newsroom on Prime and after the first 4 episodes I don't know if I can finish the other six. I don't find a single likeable character on the show and the dialogue is just grating to my ears. My wife loves it. What are people's opinions of this show?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Consensus in TVIV seems to be that The Newsroom is a show you love to hate to watch. Personally I think Jeff Daniels' character is a genuinely frightening human being.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it helps, I think the end of 4 was as bad as it gets. Season 1 was a love to hate (but I think it's genuinely entertaining) whereas season 2 is more of a mixed bag. A fair few holes and a couple of cringeworthy scenes, but when it hits it really hits. I dunno I'm probably in the minority there.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Basically Sloan and Don need to leave the network and start their own spinoff where they run around beating up rear end in a top hat Wall Street employees.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Continuum.

It's way better than I thought it'd be.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I've been binging on Rectify today (it's only 6 episodes, and I've just started #5). It's not the second coming like I was led to believe, but it's pretty dang good -- I'd say it's not so much "slow" (usual complaint) as it is "quiet".

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I watched the first four episodes of Hemlock Grove today. I'm not exactly sure what to think...I sort of like it, even with the half amusing, half baffling choices in dialogue, character motivation and acting skill that crop up in every episode. For example, I'm not really sure if the supernatural is a recognized part of that world or not. There's a lot of monster references, including a giant monster research lab that everyone seems to think is evil and might make evil creatures, maybe? And conversations about werewolves that are played with only the slightest nod to the idea that normally people don't think werewolves loving exist. Christ, even in Supernatural the characters don't go around talking about demons to regular people unless they have to, yet in Hemlock Grove the wildlife agent is questioning a real werewolf about werewolves while the sheriff looks constipated and I don't know what's going on anymore. Is she supposed to be a Mulder type? Does supernatural poo poo exist and people just keep it on the down low? When will the male leads realize they are super gay for each other and consummate their werewolf/vampire brolove?

Because that I could get behind. Time to kill off the human lame-o chick love interest and just start throwing supernatural creatures into romantic plots. True Blood is 90% of the way there! There might still be humans on that show, I think.

Basically Hemlock Grove is confusing me. There's a lot of Twin Peaks homages in there but this show would have to do a hell of a lot more drugs to be anywhere near as crazy awesome as Twin Peaks was right out of the gate. I'll probably finish it but I had to take a break because I just don't understand that show's universe.

Really good reviews led me to watching American Horror Story. So far this show is much better and the mind fucks are more coherently done. "Stop coming into my house and opening things and telling me I'm going to die" is a hilarious line.

However props to Hemlock Grove for the best werewolf transformation scene I've ever seen. That was awesomely gross and well done.

empty sea fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 2, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched all of Life Unexpected on Netflix. Sappy and earnest family drama with some surprisingly decent acting from the main girl and her dad. It's also the whitest show I've ever seen.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just finished season 2 of New Girl, it's amazing how great that show got. It's a suitable replacement show since Happy Endings died.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just finished The Following. Not bad. I like Kevin Bacon, but he's no Jack Bauer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
Californication, which is surprisingly good, and the last seasons of The X-Files.