Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Weinertron posted:

Not worthless on all, but as far as I know Alienware are the only guys who build their machines with enough cooling capacity to run all components at 100%, and their machines are hulking gigantic things covered in fans because of it.

It's pretty worthless because by the time you get to a point where the cooling is effective, you've got a desktop replacement instead of a laptop. Twelve pounds and seventeen inches is pushing the most liberal boundary of portable. Even if it weren't, the two grand you're spending on it would make a lot more sense in a tiny steambox/mITX build and a Macbook Air.

Eduardo Vasquez posted:

Any guesstimation when this will be released?

Most consumer ultrabooks (the U430 is one) are more or less commodity pieces with a few minor tweaks here and there. Pretty much any other Haswell ultrabook will be really similar, to the point where you can go into Best Buy/Walmart/Office Depot/etc and find one you like, then buy it online with the configuration you want.

InstantInfidel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012
To those about to drop real earth :tenbux: on a Clevo/Sager/Alienware/Lenovo W530-
I've never met a redeemable person who has bought this. The people in my classes with them tend to help the curve dramatically. Most heavy computing applications are taken up on a Air or MBP; or even one of the many, very tolerable non-Apple laptops available. I'm talking science and engineering grad school stuff; MHD simulations and Inventor and every other intensive thing imaginable.

Nobody needs the "power" outside of the realm of a laptop on the market today which reliably provides 11 hours of battery life. Would you rather run your game or whatever inefficiently made bit of software at ultra high settings for 45 minutes, all the while your laptop rapidly transforming into a teakettle at boil; or would you rather have a laptop that allows you to run that same bit of software at medium/mediocre settings for hours on end?

If you're looking at raw numbers provided by the industry, chances are there is a bit of misleading going on. If you're looking at numbers regarding speed and memory capacity, you're really off the mark, and should straighten out your priorities.

The whole point of a laptop is portability. Companies are doing there damnedest to make computing quick, elegant, and convenient so you don't have to spend so much time computing. It's really nice to have something that's small and light to leave in places, unencumbered by a charging cable, waiting for you to fiddle with it for a second before resuming something else.

If you need something for perpetual work, you should look at a desktop. Perpetual computer work sucks, and I do feel bad for those stuck in front of monitors. The good thing is that desktops are really quick and snappy and make an honest attempt at saving whomever sits in front of them some time.

Seriously though. Laptops today are capable of all day use without charge. So why do you guys constantly buy something that has the charge cycle of a Portege from 1998?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I managed to get it in my shopping cart some time a go I wonder what will happen if I go through and order it.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

sports posted:

To those about to drop real earth :tenbux: on a Clevo/Sager/Alienware/Lenovo W530-
I've never met a redeemable person who has bought this. The people in my classes with them tend to help the curve dramatically. Most heavy computing applications are taken up on a Air or MBP; or even one of the many, very tolerable non-Apple laptops available. I'm talking science and engineering grad school stuff; MHD simulations and Inventor and every other intensive thing imaginable.

Nobody needs the "power" outside of the realm of a laptop on the market today which reliably provides 11 hours of battery life. Would you rather run your game or whatever inefficiently made bit of software at ultra high settings for 45 minutes, all the while your laptop rapidly transforming into a teakettle at boil; or would you rather have a laptop that allows you to run that same bit of software at medium/mediocre settings for hours on end?

If you're looking at raw numbers provided by the industry, chances are there is a bit of misleading going on. If you're looking at numbers regarding speed and memory capacity, you're really off the mark, and should straighten out your priorities.

The whole point of a laptop is portability. Companies are doing there damnedest to make computing quick, elegant, and convenient so you don't have to spend so much time computing. It's really nice to have something that's small and light to leave in places, unencumbered by a charging cable, waiting for you to fiddle with it for a second before resuming something else.

If you need something for perpetual work, you should look at a desktop. Perpetual computer work sucks, and I do feel bad for those stuck in front of monitors. The good thing is that desktops are really quick and snappy and make an honest attempt at saving whomever sits in front of them some time.

Seriously though. Laptops today are capable of all day use without charge. So why do you guys constantly buy something that has the charge cycle of a Portege from 1998?

Because I spend fully half my time travelling for work and I don't want to compromise on gaming ability and give zero shits about portability beyond it's ability to be carried in a bag.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Gophermaster posted:

Because I spend fully half my time travelling for work and I don't want to compromise on gaming ability and give zero shits about portability beyond it's ability to be carried in a bag.

Couldn't you spend time meeting people? No man is an island.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Gophermaster posted:

Then you are the exception to the rule that applies to the vast majority of posters in this thread.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

sports posted:

I don't know. While i see your point when talking about 17 inch, SLI laptops, something like a y410p seems like a more than acceptable compromise. At 14" and 5.5 pounds it's not particularly heavy and bulky and it packs enough gaming power to fit an average gamer's needs.

I mean, if you usually carry around a backpack, it's hardly going to make a significant difference.

Regarding battery, I honestly don't understand why we can't have the best of both worlds. If I'm going to be using the machine solely for working/internet browsing, then it should be able to throttle down enough to maximize battery life.

Once you start gaming, well, who the hell plays games while on battery anyway?

Personally I love the idea of being able to take my gaming machine to my girlfriend's house when I stay for the weekend. Or being able to fire up a match of FIFA at a friend's house when he doesn't have a console, or switching (almost) seamlessly from my 19 inch monitor in my bedroom to the bigass TV in the living room.

99% of my work gets done in the office, anyways. I can honestly imagine more use-case scenarios for portable gaming than for portable work in my life.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 16, 2013

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Does Lenovo always take 2 weeks to ship out a laptop?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

sports posted:

That's a little obnoxious. The laptop needs to fit the needs of the user. What good does something with 11 hours battery life when I don't come anywhere near close to needing that amount? Why not pick up something that'll fit my lifestyle better?

Here's my laptop usage: I use it at work everyday. The time I need battery life the most is when I take it into meetings, and my laptop (Lenovo y410p) gets just slightly north of 4 hours use on light internet browsing. My meetings rarely last longer than 2 hours, and most are less than even that.

On the weekends, I can take it to a buddy's house and get some co-op Borderlands 2 or Guild Wars 2 going, which plays beautifully on this laptop. Sure, I could compromise on an HD5000 ultrabook, none of which are even out and available yet unless you want a Macbook Air, but why would I? This machine packs a huge amount of power into a 14" body, 1600x900 resolution screen, weighing in at 5 and a half pounds, costing me a whopping $850 after tax. What good would it do me to get something more portable and sacrifice performance? I already have a Nexus 7 for my couch browsing and bathroom surfing needs.

Some people just like to play games on their laptop, man. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're not picking up a 17" monstrosity at $2399.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 16, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Gophermaster posted:

Well apparently you're not a redeemable person.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

arisu posted:

That's a little obnoxious. The laptop needs to fit the needs of the user. What good does something with 11 hours battery life when I don't come anywhere near close to needing that amount? Why not pick up something that'll fit my lifestyle better?

sports is trolling - simple as that

Not that I think gaming laptops are a good idea for most people, but then nor is the MBA necessarily the right choice

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Trying to get your job to pay for a laptop so you can play computer games on it at home does sound kind of weird to me, though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cream_Filling posted:

Trying to get your job to pay for a laptop so you can play computer games on it at home does sound kind of weird to me, though.

Yeah its a foreign concept to me too.

Then again so is getting to choose your own laptop at all - everywhere I've worked at the choice you get is between a 12.5 or 14" Elitebook or Thinkpad (depending on who the preferred supplier is)

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

sports posted:

Couldn't you spend time meeting people? No man is an island.

I recently spent 3 weeks at the site of an oil spill as part of the incident response crew. After working for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, all I wanted to do was unwind with some vids. The site was in the middle of nowhere in the arctic, I didn't go there for the culture. Thanks for insinuating I have no friends, for that is surely the only reason I want to play games while travelling.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Sendo posted:

Well apparently you're not a redeemable person.

So it seems.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

arisu posted:

What good would it do me to get something more portable and sacrifice performance?

You've already sacrificed performance. Any game designed to run on a console that comes out post-Xbone/PS4 is already guaranteed to run like dogshit on anything but the highest end.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sports posted:

This isn't even close to accurate, so I'm assuming that your post is anecdotal. Apple has a very small share of the scientific computing market. That said, you still probably shouldn't get an Alienware or whatever. The y410p, on the other hand, is just fine; it's not a gaming laptop, it just happens to have a discrete GPU and is pretty cheap despite that.

quote:

The whole point of a laptop is portability. Companies are doing there damnedest to make computing quick, elegant, and convenient

:saddowns:

InstantInfidel posted:

You've already sacrificed performance. Any game designed to run on a console that comes out post-Xbone/PS4 is already guaranteed to run like dogshit on anything but the highest end.

That doesn't really follow; the Xbone/PS4 are still months away, and judging by previous consoles the real graphics busters probably won't show up for at least a year if not two, which is about the usable shelf life of a discrete GPU anyway. And that line of logic only really applies to PC ports of console games, but there aren't too many of those when you look at the PC gaming market as a whole. SLI laptops are still a bad idea, upgraded GPUs are still a bad idea, but things like the y410p are still a pretty good deal and will get plenty of use for a good long while (even if people like me are going to hold out for more Haswell HD5000 laptops to come out).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If anyone is like me and has been waiting for news of the new Zenbook (Who hasn't been?!) apparently there's reviews trickling in from Norwegian and Swedish sites that claim performance is largely the same (Except for slightly faster drive tests due to them testing the top model with RAID) but expect about 7-8 hours regular use time and around ten idle. Not MacBook Air good, but pretty dang good I'd say, considering the 1080p screen and whatnot. Notebookcheck has links to a review translated.

Now I hope the base i5 model is released in a reasonable timeframe. And for around the same cost.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Optiquest posted:

2 weeks is the standard initial estimate for laptops, but it may ship sooner.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Cream_Filling posted:

It's a small company (the office only has 6 employees), I paid for the thing myself. I just use it at work because it's a lot better than their 12 year old desktops.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

That doesn't really follow; the Xbone/PS4 are still months away, and judging by previous consoles the real graphics busters probably won't show up for at least a year if not two, which is about the usable shelf life of a discrete GPU anyway. And that line of logic only really applies to PC ports of console games, but there aren't too many of those when you look at the PC gaming market as a whole. SLI laptops are still a bad idea, upgraded GPUs are still a bad idea, but things like the y410p are still a pretty good deal and will get plenty of use for a good long while (even if people like me are going to hold out for more Haswell HD5000 laptops to come out).

It follows fine. Battlefield 3 is challenging for a mid-range mobile graphics card to run today; when the lowest common denominator of hardware that has to run new games suddenly jumps eight years ahead, the effect will be more than trivial.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You should literally never buy anything because it will be eclipsed at some point plus you are a terrible person for not doing it my way.

- The Laptop Megathread, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gophermaster posted:

You may be better served by a console + HDMI cable if your travel involves hotel stays.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

go3 posted:

You should literally never buy anything because it will be eclipsed at some point plus you are a terrible person for not doing it my way.

Thanks for the shitpost! Buying a purpose-built laptop that will be relevant for less than 6 months is A Bad Idea.

InstantInfidel fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 16, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

go3 posted:

I'm sure you think your little quip is extremely witty but it isn't, especially since it's completely valid to recommend against buying a laptop right now since Haswell is still being rolled out.

Try again some other time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

InstantInfidel posted:

It follows fine. Battlefield 3 is challenging for a mid-range mobile graphics card to run today; when the lowest common denominator of hardware that has to run new games suddenly jumps eight years ahead, the effect will be more than trivial.

Don't the first year of games look crappy though? I don't think the 360 games impressed me until Gears of War and that was a year later.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Optiquest posted:

No, that would mean there was some sort of consistency in their ordering/shipping system.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't the first year of games look crappy though? I don't think the 360 games impressed me until Gears of War and that was a year later.

I recall thinking that they looked great, but there's every possibility that I'm crazy. 15-year-old me (holy poo poo I'm old) thought they looked cool as hell, and if Battlefield 4 is just a *little* more taxing it's gonna be a bear to deal with.

Kreez posted:

No, that would mean there was some sort of consistency in their ordering/shipping system.

Pretty much this. Mine shipped out in 5 days last year, 2 weeks later people were waiting a month or more for a basic T430.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I ordered mine on a Friday and it shipped Monday. Who knows?

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

It depends entirely on what their bulk orders are. They attach your order to a larger order so they don't spend a fortune retooling; it's almost entirely based on some Fortune 500 company buying a batch for a satellite office and yours gets to go along too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
As promised, ONE YEAR LATER, the Sager NP9150 from xoticpc.com

Full disclosure:
I own and manage an IT MSP/Consulting firm and have worked in IT for 17 years. My experience and comfort level with computers could be described as "high"

Important Specs:
Intel i7-3610QM
16GB RAM
nVidia 675M
Intel Ultimate-N WiFi Adapter
1920x1080 Matte 95% whizbang display
Seagate XT 500GB Hybrid
Price: $1619

Why I wanted a gaming laptop:
I wanted something with the performance of a desktop replacement for when I need to do VM/video work and I missed PC gaming. While I do have an actual workstation in my office, I am physically there maybe 1/3rd of the week, the rest is spent at client's offices. So, my work needs to go with me. At home I surrendered my office to my wife for storage room, and because I am a well-adjusted and redeemable individual, I don't want to be squirreled away in another room away from my family. So its the living room while the kids play Xbox or in bed while my wife sleeps.

Why I went with a Sager from xoticpc.com:
I spent about 3 months reviewing the options and the Sager was the only one that gave me the performance I wanted with the aesthetics. Flat black all the way around except the monitor bezel, no labeling and no stupid lights. The nVidia 675M is more than capable of playing the games I wanted at the time(Skyrim/Mass Effect 3) and still runs Planetside 2 like a champ.

Problems:
1. About 3 weeks in the monitor began to appear 'scrambled' when tilted at certain angles. I diagnosed this as a problem with the cable routing through the right hinge, disassembled the laptop down to that level, re-ran the cable and voila, the problem is fixed.
2. 6 months in the interal headphone jack broke stopped working. I didn't think the audio quality was that stellar to begin with so I ordered a Turtle Beach Amigo II USB Adapter and wow. The quality is about a million times better and I don't think I'll ever use integrated audio for headphones on any laptop again.

How it travels:
The laptop rides in a Case Logic sleeve inside my messenger bag with power brick, mouse and other assorted items. No, I don't find the weight bothersome.

Wear and Breakage:
No chips, no cracks, no breaks. I have worn the finish off the palmrest a bit when using it as a makeshift mousepad though.

What I think of the features:
- Screen: Amazing. Probably the best non-Retina display I've run into. I recommend to anyone that will listen that you purchase screen upgrades because nothing will make you hate a laptop more than a bad screen. All the performance and warranty service in the world won't matter if they have to stare at something they hate.
- Keyboard and Trackpad: Meh. At this point I type on so many different keyboards I don't care. I also rarely use the trackpad as I carry a mouse. The trackpad is 'servicable', which is how I'd describe any non-Apple trackpad. In my opinion there are two tiers, Apple and the rest. This is not an Apple.
- WiFi: Never not getting the upgraded WiFi again. It continually amazes me how far this thing can reach.
- Fit and Finish: Good. It isn't a mid-2000s ThinkPad, but neither are new ThinkPads now. It definitely isn't $399 Acer quality. It 'feels', to me atleast, better than a Latitude E65xx
- Thermal design: Two bottom mounted fans, left and right blowing through pretty beefy heatsinks that exhaust out the back. Fan placement means you need a solid surface for heavy gaming/processor work otherwise you'll have no air flow. Cleaning is pretty simple. 6 screws to remove the bottom panel, 4 to remove each heat sink assembly. Blow it out, clean up the thermal paste/reapply and reassemble. I've done this twice since we have a cat just as a precaution. The fans will get loud at max RPM but it does work. You will not burn yourself on either the bottom or the keyboard and there will only be noticeable warmth after heavy usage.

Complaints:
3 USB ports, 2 on the left, 1 on the right. I wish there was one rear mounted USB port. Also, I'd prefer a rear mounted NIC(it is on the left).

Would I do this again:
Yes, I would. Infact, I'll probably replace this August 2014. I do not have trouble recommending this laptop to anyone with similar usage criteria and have done so in the thread repeatedly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
As someone who has bought multiple gaming laptops in his life and used them extensively, I can tell you that a lot of what's being said here is bullshit. Your computer will not be made obsolete just because it's getting older. It's not going to be dead in 1 year, and the reason is because you know exactly what level of graphical quality you're getting into when you buy the computer. Once you buy your laptop and upgrade the ram/hdd/whatever, what you've got is it. What you've got is all you're going to get out of it. However that doesn't mean you're not going to be unable to play new games, it just means you'll have to lower the settings. Remember also that there are games that came out a while back that competent CURRENT machines can't run at max, like Rage for example. My desktop rig can't play that with everything maxed out. It can, however, play it at a level that I'm comfortable with. If you're comfortable with what you're going to get, you should be able to turn the settings down on future games and still play them.

Switchable graphics cards are the poo poo, when they work. The Alienware laptops, for example, can switch their discrete graphics card on and off to save battery. On my m11x (sadly not made anymore) I could pull out 7-8 hours on one battery charge if I didn't have the card on. However, when it was on, even when it wasn't being used for games, it cut that to half or less. Make sure it works.

Of course you'll need to be comfortable not upgrading it. However, I have found that the secondary market for gaming laptops is pretty good because they're like nice cars that people sell after a year or two to get the next thing. If you're comfortable with a gaming laptop that is a couple years old, it'll still be better than a non-gaming laptop. No you're not going to be able to run the newest games at their best settings, but you will be able to run better than a non-gaming laptop would.

Of course if what you want is just good games, and not necessarily graphically intensive games, there's a world of indie games now like Mercenary Kings, Spelunky, Monaco, Faster than Light, and more that you can run just fine on any new laptop. You can save the extra bulk and pack an Xbox 360 controller or a dedicated handheld gaming device.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I'm sure you think your little quip is extremely witty but it isn't, especially since it's completely valid to recommend against buying a laptop right now since Haswell is still being rolled out.

Try again some other time.

This isn't about Haswell. Its about the same people parroting the same disingenuous bullshit because occasionally people want different laptops than they do.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I'm looking for a laptop with enough screen real estate to comfortably write code for my CS coursework and occasionally watch videos on. I don't need it to be very powerful, since I'll be using a workstation at home. Having 8 GiB of RAM, or being able to upgrade to it, would be a nice plus, though. What companies/options should I be looking at here?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

go3 posted:

This isn't about Haswell. Its about the same people parroting the same disingenuous bullshit because occasionally people want different laptops than they do.

Like what? Like how $640 is a good price point for a quality machine? I don't know what point you are making. (Most) of the advice given in this thread is with the intent of making sure a person doesn't buy something so awful that they will come back in a month and complain that the hard drive in their lovely $200 laptop went dead.

You're not doing anyone any good by parroting the "all advice given by this thread is superfluous, biased and terrible" sentiment.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Hadlock posted:

You may be better served by a console + HDMI cable if your travel involves hotel stays.

All those hotels in the arctic/woodland areas where oil spills happen. Did you read my previous comment or does everyone here troll mobile PC gamers?

Gophermaster fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 16, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Like what? Like how $640 is a good price point for a quality machine? I don't know what point you are making. (Most) of the advice given in this thread is with the intent of making sure a person doesn't buy something so awful that they will come back in a month and complain that the hard drive in their lovely $200 laptop went dead.

You're not doing anyone any good by parroting the "all advice given by this thread is superfluous, biased and terrible" sentiment.

Pretty sure he was mocking sports' troll post directly, not the thread in general.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know I've been re-evaluating what it is I want in a notebook.

Right now I have an old e1505 Core 2 Duo with an X1400 in it. It spent most of its life as a couch browser, but since I've gotten a tablet, it sits idle. Both my Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 (2013) are better web consuming devices than it.

All along I've been saying "I want something light and portable and super high DPI" which meant I was waiting with bated breath for the Zenbook Infinity. But, I've been trying to think what role that notebook would fill? The big thing I was looking for is light gaming on the couch/go which, even with the 5100, is a tall order on anything but indie games. To be sure, there are a ton of indie games I plan to play on it, but I also would want to be able to join in group games of Borderlands 2 that sometimes break out when my friends get together. While the 5100 could do that on lower settings, I find myself questioning if I'm really just putting form over function at this point.

If I'm going to use the notebook most for some form of mobile gaming, why do I need a super DPI screen? I already have my high DPI browsing devices in the form of my tablets. As far as portability goes, nearly anything is going to be better than my E1505 which is close to 7lbs and a thick slab.

So, long story short, I'm giving the Y410P a serious look right now. The 1600x900 screen is a step back from the 1680x1050 screen I currently have on the E1505, but not horribly so since the size is smaller. But the GT 750M in it should give me far more gaming flexibility.

It's a lot bulkier than an ultrabook, but 9 times out of 10 I'm going to be leaving the notebook at home and bringing a tablet instead unless I'm specifically bringing it to play games.

Archilochos
Jul 14, 2008
My netbook is truly on its last legs, and I need to buy a new computer probably this week. I'd like to maximize battery life and portability; I'm less concerned about cost at this point. As a secondary consideration, I'd also like to do some gaming, mostly games that I liked to play before I bought this netbook; so Civ IV, maybe V, some of the Total War series, etc. Reading through this thread, it seems like the best options right now are the Acer Aspire S7-392, a Macbook Air, and a Sony Vaio Pro 13.

Am I missing anything/misinterpreting anything (I know the ATIV Book 9 Plus is coming out for pre-order this weekend, but I really can't wait more than a week)? I'm leaning towards the S7, mostly out of residual anti-Macbook feelings, is that completely stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

signalnoise posted:

As someone who has bought multiple gaming laptops in his life and used them extensively, I can tell you that a lot of what's being said here is bullshit. Your computer will not be made obsolete just because it's getting older. It's not going to be dead in 1 year, and the reason is because you know exactly what level of graphical quality you're getting into when you buy the computer. Once you buy your laptop and upgrade the ram/hdd/whatever, what you've got is it.

No poo poo Sherlock, but the laptop in question is the Y410p which comes with a mid-range GPU that was already middle of the road and is going to be pushed into obsolescence by new consoles. Your anecdotes do not constitute actual data, and they're contradicted by benchmarks for the video card.

signalnoise posted:

It can, however, play it at a level that I'm comfortable with. If you're comfortable with what you're going to get, you should be able to turn the settings down on future games and still play them.

Getting a gaming laptop is an awful idea for almost anyone posting in this thread, and this is several times more true with Haswell and HD5X00. Again, the Y410p only gives playable framerates for intensive games on medium/low settings already.

signalnoise posted:

Switchable graphics cards are the poo poo, when they work. The Alienware laptops, for example, can switch their discrete graphics card on and off to save battery. On my m11x (sadly not made anymore) I could pull out 7-8 hours on one battery charge if I didn't have the card on. However, when it was on, even when it wasn't being used for games, it cut that to half or less. Make sure it works.

Optimus is great, Enduro sucks to the point of breaking basic usability. If anyone else ignores every piece of advice in this thread, avoid AMD mobile GPUS like the plague.

signalnoise posted:

Of course if what you want is just good games, and not necessarily graphically intensive games, there's a world of indie games now like Mercenary Kings, Spelunky, Monaco, Faster than Light, and more that you can run just fine on any new laptop. You can save the extra bulk and pack an Xbox 360 controller or a dedicated handheld gaming device.

This is pretty much correct.

go3 posted:

You bought a large laptop and paid way, way too much for it and are happy with it. That's great. Your usage scenario is not the same as everyone else's, something you seem to have trouble grasping despite claiming the contrary. I and most others advocate that people take an objective look at their needs and seriously consider getting a smaller laptop that suits their needs just as well, or getting a laptop and a desktop for the same amount of money. Most people will regret buying the same laptop you did, since the build quality, weight, size, and poor peripherals are all detrimental and will detract the the actual portability, usability, and reliability of a laptop.