Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Landerig posted:

Oh my god.

I have done some lovely Bondo work. Did better Bondo work when I got a sander. The amount of money the owner must have spent in Bondo...

And wait a sec, how the bloody gently caress do you clog a fuel filter with Bondo?!

You sand the car and don't use the air gun to clean it off before you drive it, then you go pump gas and it all blows in?

Or maybe a leaky gas tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Maybe he didn't like the way the fuel filter looked so he applied Bondo to it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Maybe he didn't like the way the fuel filter looked so he applied Bondo to it.

It's just as likely that he REALLY liked the way bondo looked, so he applied it liberally all over his body, then decided to investigate the fuel filler neck, and the bondo fell off the body part he used.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's just as likely that he REALLY liked the way bondo looked, so he applied it liberally all over his body, then decided to investigate the fuel filler neck, and the bondo fell off the body part he used.

I just figured he was trying to make custom tank baffles.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Close thread. This is the mountain top.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think someone should explain to Bondo-Saturn guy that, if you want to make a previously-bumpy and uneven internal body panel (like inside the trunk) smooth instead of latticed, you use a plastic or fiberglass mold. You don't fill the spaces between the latticework with bondo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I didn't get a photo, but I saw a terrible license plate.

You see, it turns out that my state is now selling license plate with some corporate logos - to be exact, I saw a Dr Pepper custom plate today, with "FLAVOR" for the tag.

Used the custom plate generator to recreate the plate since I didn't get a photo. It was on a pretty normal Lexus GS-350.

Also, custom plates are now handled by a private entity here - there's even multiple high school :wtf: plates (most of them from DFW).

Sadly, TRNLFT is taken.

e: 2G1CUP is available! :neckbeard: Someone needs to get that. Preferably on the Whataburger plate.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I like all of the out-of-state college plates. If you get a Sooners Texas plate, do you get your car keyed on either side of the Red River?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think you'd risk a bit more if you got a UT plate and went to College Station :v:

You'd probably return to your car to find it hanging from a rope by one wheel.

(for those not from TX, there's a huge rivalry between the University of Texas [Austin] and Texas A&M [College Station] - College Station is a smaller city in :banjo: east Texas, that's fiercely proud of its university)

You could also always get this plate... and park on campus at UT. But you'd probably find it covered in "Keep Austin Weird" stickers and reeking of pot instead of being hung.

e: to give an idea of how much A&M and UT hate each other, my aunt (who went to UT) gave my stepdad (who went to A&M) a bit of UT memorabilia a few years back. They haven't spoken since. :v: I kind of suspect that was the intent.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 16, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

some texas redneck posted:

I think you'd risk a bit more if you got a UT plate and went to College Station :v:

You'd probably return to your car to find it hanging from a rope by one wheel.

(for those not from TX, there's a huge rivalry between the University of Texas [Austin] and Texas A&M [College Station] - College Station is a smaller city in :banjo: east Texas, that's fiercely proud of its university)

You could also always get this plate... and park on campus at UT. But you'd probably find it covered in "Keep Austin Weird" stickers and reeking of pot instead of being hung.

e: to give an idea of how much A&M and UT hate each other, my aunt (who went to UT) gave my stepdad (who went to A&M) a bit of UT memorabilia a few years back. They haven't spoken since. :v: I kind of suspect that was the intent.

As a Texas native, let me just say gently caress aggies.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

license plate sperging

If you don't get DLVR8R or HIRO I'm never speaking to you again.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

veedubfreak posted:

As a Texas native, let me just say gently caress aggies.

Die in a loving fire. drat it that's our thing too, gently caress. :smith:

STR, can you tell me when they release a Taco Cabana plate?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

How much longer till Texas just makes a custom plate with a giant cross on it and the words 'Love it or leave it' emblazoned on it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Whoa, A&M no longer hates UT now that they're in the SEC. You can be sure that UT is still bitter as gently caress that they didn't make the deal to get out first though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Just pull the shift lever off the tranny and it becomes REALLY theft proof.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

JP Money posted:

Whoa, A&M no longer hates UT now that they're in the SEC. You can be sure that UT is still bitter as gently caress that they didn't make the deal to get out first though.

Wait what, why would Texas leave the Big 12 when the reason why everyone else wants to leave is because Texas dominates the league?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

Screw that, Luby's plate or nothing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

rscott posted:

Wait what, why would Texas leave the Big 12 when the reason why everyone else wants to leave is because Texas dominates the league?

That hasn't happened since what, 2008-2009? Leaving the B12 is the smartest thing A&M has ever done IMO from a marketing standpoint. This isn't terrible car stuff though.

E: ^ Oh my loving god is Luby's disgusting. I'd rather eat at golden corrale and that's saying something.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

Just pull the shift lever off the tranny and it becomes REALLY theft proof.

My three on the tree truck has the best security system ever. I bet a lot of AI doesn't even know where the gears are.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

My three on the tree truck has the best security system ever. I bet a lot of AI doesn't even know where the gears are.

Provided there's nothing to hit by moving forward or back within an inch or two, it's worth some trial and error.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you don't get DLVR8R or HIRO I'm never speaking to you again.

I love you for this.
One of the online t-short places, Think Geek, I believe, has a Cosa Nostra Pizza t-shirt to go with that.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

A long rear end time ago I had to pull a Ford F100 with a three on the tree (I think maybe four on second thought) into the shop I was working at and that thing seriously took me for a loop. I see clutch pedal but then the lever looks pretty much identical to an A/T lever.
The guy was nice enough to draw me a map of the shift pattern and once I clicked up and down a few times while stationary I quite enjoyed driving it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Isn't it the same pattern as the 3-speed floor shifters Ford had in the early Mustangs? I know my uncle's 66 threw me for a loop with that layout, it was different from everything else I'd driven at that point.

R 2
|-|
1 3

fake edit: See, even typing that diagram I put 3 and 4 on the right at first!

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Fart Pipe posted:

That's how I learned to drive a standard when I was a teenager :clint:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yup.

The $125 '66 Econoline I bought when I was 19 was:

1 3
|-|
2 \R

I remember calling my dad after I bought it. he said,
"You know the standard H-pattern on a floor shift?"
"Yes..."
"Well, stand it up & pretend it's attached to the gearshift lever at the steering column"

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Ever see an SUV on some big rear end RIAMZ and think to yourself "that's going to break"? Wonder no more...

He was cornering pretty hard, but still :laugh:

And yeah that's the wheel underneath the thing, he dragged it about 50 feet.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I've never seen a rim break like that before, did it break before or after he plowed over the curb and everything else? I can only imagine the rest of the damage he did underneath that thing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Let me guess, this guy is the owner.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Das Volk posted:

Ever see an SUV on some big rear end RIAMZ and think to yourself "that's going to break"? Wonder no more...

And yeah that's the wheel underneath the thing, he dragged it about 50 feet.

boy

that escaladed quickly

Content: Tonight I saw a 'murdered out' commodore that had been rammed from behind by one of those hideous-rear end new Jeeps and shunted into a ditch. Guess he shouldn't of put blacked out glass over the brake signals?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

At least it looks like he took out a red light/speed camera doing it :haw:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Spades posted:

Guess he shouldn't of put blacked out glass over the brake signals?

I hate smoked taillights, especially the really dark ones, for this reason only. You can never tell when the fuckers are braking unless you're concentrating on nothing but their lights and even then the sun can wash it out and you've just got to guess.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I'm honestly jealous of the variety and choices Texas offers. In Minnesota, you get either the standard boring plate we've had for eons, or you get some good ol' 'Merican plates with eagles or loons or a deer in a canoe, etc. I wish we had choices with a little more variety, colors, and style.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Spades posted:

boy

that escaladed quickly

Content: Tonight I saw a 'murdered out' commodore that had been rammed from behind by one of those hideous-rear end new Jeeps and shunted into a ditch. Guess he shouldn't of put blacked out glass over the brake signals?

Did an oil change on a car the other day with a dark tinted windshield, it took me an few minutes to figure out why it felt so wierd.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Smoked tailights are one of those things where I like the idea of it, but never the execution.

Making your indicators blend in with the rest of your car for aesthetic reasons, I can understand. But it's always done so drat poorly. Maybe if they used an LCD screen and set it to black when they weren't using their turn or brake signals and had it turn transparent when they were?

Like the glasses they use for some 3D effects:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Active shuttering has been around for a few decades (and cheaply for a few years) now. There's also a version that "frosts" instead of going black.

Get on it, people!

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
There is a famous toilet stall in NYC with that glass. It's got clear glass walls until you lock the door.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

There is a famous toilet stall in NYC with that glass. It's got clear glass walls until you lock the door.

Any recorded system failures?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DropShadow posted:

I'm honestly jealous of the variety and choices Texas offers. In Minnesota, you get either the standard boring plate we've had for eons, or you get some good ol' 'Merican plates with eagles or loons or a deer in a canoe, etc. I wish we had choices with a little more variety, colors, and style.

Texas privatized custom plates awhile back, pretty sure that's the only reason we get so many choices.

You wind up paying up to $395/year (on top of normal registration) for them though, depending which style you go for and just how custom you go. And if you want your custom plate fees to be due at the same time as your vehicle registration, that's another fee. You also can't use them on classic/antique cars if they're titled as such.

Oh yeah, limited to 6 characters, even though we've been rocking 7 character plates for awhile. Every now and then they'll auction off a handful of "desirable" 7 character plates for assrape amounts of money.

JP Money posted:

E: ^ Oh my loving god is Luby's disgusting. I'd rather eat at golden corrale and that's saying something.

As someone who's known people who worked at both places, I wouldn't even piss in the restroom at a Golden Corral; I'm pretty sure I'd leave with new and exciting diseases just from standing in front of the urinals. Luby's at least tries to appear clean(ish), even if most of the patrons have colostomy bags.

Growing up, my parents loved cafeteria restaurants (so I got subjected to them often.. and still do from time to time). Luby's isn't horrible, Furr's (today) is actually decent. I miss Wyatt's though; IIRC there was actually one attached to a mall (or in the parking lot of the mall) in my home town (El Paso) at one point. They don't seem to really exist outside of Houston anymore though. :corsair:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 17, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Did an oil change on a car the other day with a dark tinted windshield, it took me an few minutes to figure out why it felt so wierd.

I worked with a kid who had 2 layers of 5% on his rear window, 5% on all his windows and 20% on the loving windshield. I asked him how he drove at night and he said, "I don't". Pretty practical. His car got impounded on his way to work one morning and I never saw him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Root Bear posted:

I've never seen a rim break like that before, did it break before or after he plowed over the curb and everything else? I can only imagine the rest of the damage he did underneath that thing.

I've seen alloy rims do that a few times in wrecks. Typically it's high speed into a curb at an angle so all the impact energy is to that one wheel.

Steel bends, alloys shatter :v: