Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Well, you guys weren't wrong about House

I just can't even

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The best thing about House is that it's really a legitimately great film, it just happens to be really, really loopy.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I watched it with really high hopes, and while I found it funny and ridiuclous, I wouldn't call it a great film. Would you mind discussing why you feel that way?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
My first viewing of House was one big 'what the hell did I just watch?' My greatest joy came when I watched it a second time showing it to a friend who hadn't yet had the pleasure. Anticipating his reactions to the wackadoo poo poo he was taking in was excellent.

As far as what makes it a great film, well it's a genre exercise that defies its genre trappings for the most part. Loppy upbeat music? Why not throw some of that in there? By maintaining a fairly cheerful tone at the beginning, as well as establishing a sense of foreboding in a dreamlike haze, it makes the rise to the climax that much more effective. Every character, while beholden to a single trait (the fat one, the smart one with glasses, the musical one, the pretty one, etc.) they are all distinguishable from one another with their own specific personality. Watch the remake to Friday the 13th or pretty much any "teenagers die horribly" horror movie today. Swap any of them out for each other and you'd hardly notice.

House is certainly all about style, but the style is so incredibly vivid and fresh even today that it's a landmark in horror cinema. I think it might be the best haunted house movie I've ever seen and I can't wait to show it to other unsuspecting people.

Fake edit: I randomly saw it advertised last October when I was living in Beijing. It played in a small tapas bar called Mas in an area called Gulou. It wasn't packed, but my friend and I had a great seat and the atmosphere was great. I still regret not being able to go back when they played Troll 2.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
All I can say about House is that I was shocked it was filmed in the 70s. Criterion did a great job cleaning it up - it looked like anything wacky that could have been released today.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I think part of House's incredible charm is the fact that it was patently filmed with a commercial art director's eye in mind - it feels like every 30 seconds a new crazy Japanese commercial starts. With commercials, you have to be flashy and over the top to make sure you get the audience's attention and hold it while the product is sold to you; with House, it's like a 90-minute long commercial break that isn't selling you anything.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hewlett posted:

I think part of House's incredible charm is the fact that it was patently filmed with a commercial art director's eye in mind - it feels like every 30 seconds a new crazy Japanese commercial starts. With commercials, you have to be flashy and over the top to make sure you get the audience's attention and hold it while the product is sold to you; with House, it's like a 90-minute long commercial break that isn't selling you anything.

I always found it odd that surreal and generally bizarre cinema is generally rejected by the mainstream, and I've had more than a few people I've shown House to refer to it as "So bad it's good" just because it's unconventional. But with commercials (and music videos as well) people are more than willing to accept things that they would reject as "too weird" in a feature-length film. You're completely right about House being like a 90-minute commercial, but when it's feature length people reject it. However, give them a 30 second commercial that has the same bizarro logic like the ads in this video and they love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvtany3mSE

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Oh my god, if there was a 90 minute Hausu film of this, I'd watch it forever. :swoon:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Okay, I'm looking to buy one more, possibly two.

The Devil's Backbone
The Killing
The Ballad of Narayama
Cronos
Two Lane Blacktop
Harakiri
Salo
Kagemusha

Are any of these "must-haves"? They're all blind buys with the exception of Kagemusha, which I watched years ago when I was 15 or 16 and remember not liking, but I feel like if I watched it now I'd probably love it.

I can talk about these (since I own 'em):

The Devil's Backbone - Great (but more subtle) horror film that depicts children pretty well. It definitely influenced Pan's Labyrinth, so if you loved PL, go for it. There's a *lot less* fantasy/special effects, though.
The Ballad of Narayama - Strong film that has a unique approach - it's one giant theater set. The film's transitions are pretty neat. The singing at the beginning might turn off some folks who aren't into it.
Cronos - I'd say this is Del Toro's best film.
Kagemusha - I like epic stuff, I like Japanese flicks, and I like Kurosawa. It's a bit long, but I still love it.

I also think if you gravitate towards this group, you'd enjoy Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Red posted:

I also think if you gravitate towards this group, you'd enjoy Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence.

I saw that one very recently, which is why I decided to wait until the next sale to buy it, but I really loved it.

So the sale is over, and everything I ordered is finally here. See, in the past, every time the sale came up, I'd always either be broke, or in the middle of school work, or recovering from a major expense or something, but not this time...

I already had Repo Man, I just love that movie.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
So when will fishing with john make it to bluray?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rick Deckard posted:

So when will fishing with john make it to bluray?

I don't think they'll be updating it because John Lurie died while ice fishing with Willem Dafoe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

I don't think they'll be updating it because John Lurie died while ice fishing with Willem Dafoe.

No, wait, I'm mistaken. John is alive!

(RIP Willem Defoe)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Well I finally received my order from Barnes & Noble (which I placed exactly a month ago, yay?). The invoice said I had received In the Mood for Love, Repo Man, Two-Lane Blacktop and the Qatsi Trilogy. I did not receive the Qatsi Trilogy. Thanks, assholes!

Cacator fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 12, 2013

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Cacator posted:

Well I finally received my order from Barnes & Noble (which I placed exactly a month ago, yay?). The invoice said I had received In the Mood for Love, Repo Man, Two-Lane Blacktop and the Qatsi Trilogy. I did not receive the Qatsi Trilogy. Thanks, assholes!

Send an e-mail to customer service, the same thing happened to me with The Thin Red Line.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

taser rates posted:

Send an e-mail to customer service, the same thing happened to me with The Thin Red Line.

Yeah, I did. Did they send you a replacement?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Cacator posted:

Yeah, I did. Did they send you a replacement?

They won't send replacements if you're in Canada, they only refund you the price of the item.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

November's Titles
City lights
Frances Ha
Some small samurai set

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, Tokyo Story.

The big news is that all the November titles are dual format Blu + DVD.

I guess more info will be added, but I'm disappointed that Carl Davis' fantastic re-recording of the City Lights score isn't listed. Especially after they were able to license his score for Safety Last.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
loving finally.
Jesus gently caress. Have I missed something or is that completely out of nowhere?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

SubG posted:

loving finally.

Jesus gently caress. Have I missed something or is that completely out of nowhere?

It was out of nowhere, I think. A friend of my husband contributed some art work to it and I've seen a bunch of the design thanks to that, it is really gorgeous and I am excited to spend too much money on it.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

SubG posted:

loving finally.

Not completely out of nowhere. I think Criterion's Hulu page has been holding a lot of Zatoichi for a while, and most things on there eventually make the transition.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DetoxP posted:

Not completely out of nowhere. I think Criterion's Hulu page has been holding a lot of Zatoichi for a while, and most things on there eventually make the transition.
Ah. I don't use Hulu so haven't seen that. Has City Lights been on Hulu for awhile now too? I noticed (some time ago) that it was in the Criterion Hulu adverts and always thought it odd that they were pimping it there with it not yet having a spine number.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

City Lights has been up for a while, but it seems to be an older transfer. What's weird is that it has a credit for Carl Davis' re-recording, but it's the 1931 mono track.

I think the wait was mostly out of needing a new 4K transfer since the existing 2K was framed wrong at 1.37:1 instead of 1.19:1. Only the 2000 Image DVD had the right framing until Criterion's edition.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thank God on City Lights. That's an instant purchase (instant being next available B&N sale), but wow, Frances Ha. Is that a record for being Criterion'ed?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Egbert Souse posted:

City Lights has been up for a while, but it seems to be an older transfer. What's weird is that it has a credit for Carl Davis' re-recording, but it's the 1931 mono track.

I think the wait was mostly out of needing a new 4K transfer since the existing 2K was framed wrong at 1.37:1 instead of 1.19:1. Only the 2000 Image DVD had the right framing until Criterion's edition.

There's also been some controversy over restoring the film. Its all about the boxing match scene, where Chaplin is suspended on wires. Chaplin was very careful and precise in shooting the scene so that the wires wouldn't be visible on film, and if you see a 35mm print, they aren't. However, once they started 2k/4k scanning of the scene, they were shocked to discover that the wires were very visible in the digital image. A rather drastic decision was made to digitally erase the wires in order to retain Chaplin's intent.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SubG posted:

loving finally.

My thoughts exactly.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

GrandpaPants posted:

Thank God on City Lights. That's an instant purchase (instant being next available B&N sale), but wow, Frances Ha. Is that a record for being Criterion'ed?

Haigh's Weekend? Life Aquatic went straight to Criterion, too.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Francis Ha is still in theaters near me

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Anyone know of a way I can see bigger versions of those Zatoichi covers?

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Oh man. Zatoichi marathon for Christmas break!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Welp, I never thought I'd see a Zatoichi blu ray set. It even includes no.14, Zaotichi's Pilgrimage, which I've never seen. Bye bye, money. Crossing my fingers that it's released before the Nov. BN sale is over.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Per movie that zatoitchi set is probably criterions cheapest, but that's a lot to pay for one set still.

bat duck fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 16, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

GrandpaPants posted:

Obviously you forgot this gem...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually really like (parts of) Benjamin Button, but the fact that it came in a regular BD case bothers me much more than it actually should.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

kaujot posted:

Haigh's Weekend? Life Aquatic went straight to Criterion, too.

I can't believe Life Aquatic hasn't gotten the Blu-Ray upgrade yet. :mad:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Red posted:

I can't believe Life Aquatic hasn't gotten the Blu-Ray upgrade yet. :mad:

Isn't it the only Anderson Criterion film that hasn't? I feel like they're big sellers and they're waiting for an opportune market month, like something closer to Christmas.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cloks posted:

Isn't it the only Anderson Criterion film that hasn't?

I think so. Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Darjeeling all got BD re-releases.

Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom didn't get a Criterion release.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

That Zatoichi set is absolutely amazing. I had sort of just assumed that Criterion was sticking those on Hulu forever and never releasing them, but it's great to see they are doing it.

So glad that Media Blasters lost the rights (I guess they did) so we can get all the movies in a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

zandert33 posted:

So glad that Media Blasters lost the rights (I guess they did) so we can get all the movies in a set.

Maybe not entirely. I notice Zatoichi 1989 is conspicuously absent.