Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Apparently Faust is joining Emperor for the reunited band tours, so that pretty much cinches them not getting into the US with an arsonist and a murderer on the bill. And no new album, just shows we won't see in the US. A+

Might as well put Varg in there too as a special guest just to be sure they don't get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I could listen to Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite for months on end, easily one of my favorite black metal albums. Choirs and doom makes for an incredible atmosphere.

Apparently he gathered some session musicians up because he played at Roadburn this year. Little skeptical how it would turn out live at first but listening to it they pulled it off very well indeed. Blood Vaults is gonna kick my rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZlklrN9dmo

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 5, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Emperor might have completed the last step in total let-down:

Norwegian black metallers EMPEROR will celebrate the 20th anniversary of their "In The Nightside Eclipse" album at next year's Wacken Open Air festival, set to take place July 31-August 2, 2014 in Wacken, Germany. EMPEROR members Ihsahn (real name: Vegard Sverre Tveitan) and Samoth (real name: Tomas Haugen) will be joined by Bård Guldvik "Faust" Eithun on drums, and they will perform the CD in its entirety. There will be no new studio album or a worldwide tour — only a few exclusive festival appearances next year to mark the celebration of this landmark release.

Aside from them deciding to make it an acoustic set, I can't think of a way they could make this reunion suck more.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is that a dare?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Oh come on, who didn't expect that?

They'll have serious issues getting visas for long tours anyway (a murderer and an arsonist? wheeee), and by keeping appearances down they can keep fees up. I mean, I'd be personally happy they haven't mentioned anything about keyboards yet...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Keyboards are all over WotT and ItNE though.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I could be wrong, but didn't the pipe the keys in for that show they turned into a live DVD?

I don't remember seeing a keyboard player but I may have been ignoring the guy.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I'm glad they're not putting an album out. Will definitely
go and see them if I can though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I could be wrong, but didn't the pipe the keys in for that show they turned into a live DVD?

I don't remember seeing a keyboard player but I may have been ignoring the guy.

If you're talking about Emperial Live Ceremony, yes, they had a keyboard player.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Oldstench posted:

Keyboards are all over WotT and ItNE though.

Yeah I know, but let's face it, the (old) options are Mortiis and Charmand. And both are jokes now. If they keep the old core and just get somebody in to do the actual songs, there's no chance of an ego deciding on a keyboard solo.

I'd imagine it'll continue to be Ihsahn's brother in law though. And since I don't see any announcement of Tchort playing bass I guess that'll be a live session too.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 6, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Oldstench posted:

If you're talking about Emperial Live Ceremony, yes, they had a keyboard player.

I didn't know about that one, but I meant the Live at Wacken 2006 one. It does appear they've got one for that too but it was a way bigger stage so I probably didn't notice him.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I didn't know about that one, but I meant the Live at Wacken 2006 one. It does appear they've got one for that too but it was a way bigger stage so I probably didn't notice him.

If you like Emperor, it's a good concert. I have it on VHS 'cause I roll kvlt. :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ogMD7wUXNU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Morbid Florist posted:

There's video of the keyboard player they have from the concert. He's behind a black wall with the Emperor 'E' Shield logo on it. You can see him from their live footage of the concert, or just look at this horrible screencap I took:

I believe it's Einar Solberg, from the band Leprous. Ihsahn was doing some live performances of his stuff at this time, and he used this band to fill in the gaps for his own purposes. Einar does the clean vocal harmonies on Emperors more recent live performances, and I hate them. The player they had on Emperial Live Ceremony was far, far better; I think that was Charmand Grimloch from Tartaros, though he didn't harmonize the clean vocals, he did the additional screams. Tyr did the clean vocals in 1999.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Roll on October... the new Nocturnal Graves is going to loving slay.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

At the very least we should be happy there won't be a new album. Ihsahn's head is so far up his own colon there's no return at this point

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gallowbraid posted:

The songwriting for the very first Gallowbraid full-length album began about two months ago and was completed yesterday. The session drummer and I will be rehearsing and finalizing the songs over the next three days and we have studio time booked for tracking the drums on Monday. I hope to have the entire album finished by the end of September.

From the Gallowbraid Facebook page.

This came out of nowhere, and I am pretty excited about it. I had read Gallowbraid was basically dead, and the guy had moved on to some other band. Guess not :getin:

I've been obsessed with the one Gallowbraid EP for a couple of months now, since someone in this thread(I forget who) brought it up.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 9, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Roll on October... the new Nocturnal Graves is going to loving slay.

Album has been pushed back to mid November now according to their facebook page. It's great to hear Shrapnel playing again though, I really liked the track.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Anyone know any bands with a similar sound to Nokturnal Mortum's Goat Horns or Nazgul's De Expugnatione Elfmuth? Sort of a symphonic sound, but with raw production. I did look into Nokturnal Mortum's later albums, but they're not as good as Goat Horns.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

A human heart posted:

Anyone know any bands with a similar sound to Nokturnal Mortum's Goat Horns or Nazgul's De Expugnatione Elfmuth? Sort of a symphonic sound, but with raw production. I did look into Nokturnal Mortum's later albums, but they're not as good as Goat Horns.

I thought NeChrist was the best Nokturnal Mortum album, although it is in their "max nazi" period if you dont like that sort of thing.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
New Satyricon anyone?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

No thanks.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Oldstench posted:

No thanks.

Seconding. I don't even know what the hell I just listened to, but it wasn't good.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

A human heart posted:

Temnozor and Kroda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol0bTwCkwJ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLqLyljO8Ms

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Nordland - Vorscara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUEfCClYHhk

Found out through Winterfylleth's twitter. Not too bad I guess.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

Can anyone recommend some bands with vocals in German? Stuff like Helrunar and Lunar Aurora, or anything that sounds like Bethlehem's Dark Metal (although it's mostly in English) would be cool.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

YYZ posted:

Can anyone recommend some bands with vocals in German? Stuff like Helrunar and Lunar Aurora, or anything that sounds like Bethlehem's Dark Metal (although it's mostly in English) would be cool.

Urfaust sings in German.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYj29xSgaGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbfcHoZvF8U

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

YYZ posted:

Verdunkeln's "Einblick in die Qualenfall"
Nagelfar's first two albums (The German one, NOT Naglfar)

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

This is pretty weird. Can't say I'm a fan of the vocals (both the clean vocals and the screams) on Der Gottesverächter, but Vom Gesicht und Rätsel is pretty decent. Looks like there was a gap of 5 years or so between the albums the two songs are from, and it seems like it (or the vocals, at least) benefit from better production. I'll check out the rest of Der freiwillige Bettler. Thanks for the recommendation.

Zodijackylite posted:

Verdunkeln's "Einblick in die Qualenfall"
Nagelfar's first two albums (The German one, NOT Naglfar)

Both of these are sounding pretty awesome so far, thanks. The scream at the start of Nagelfar's Seelenland is great.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Swedish black metal is infecting the shores of NA this October...

Watain Announce Fall North American Tour With In Solitude & Tribulation

Watain commented on the coming tour:

"Starting the first full tour for The Wild Hunt in North America seems quite appropriate, considering how many severe experiences and the sleepless nights that country has bestowed upon us while riding through its strange wilderness… A thousand years and a thousand deaths have passed since we last visited the States, so prepare yourself to face something very, very old and very very hungry."

"Deformed from both victory and defeat, distorted by a constant influx of powers residing beyond the borders of this world, we now return to join forces with our ever loyal US supporters. With us we will have two acts that have the capacity of transforming the audience into one big open wound before we go on stage, ready then to receive the lethal yet illuminating venom of Watain."

10/08 New York, NY – Irving Plaza
10/09 Philadelphia, PA – Underground Arts
10/10 Worcester, MA – Palladium Upstairs
10/11 Montreal, QC – Foufounes Electriques
10/12 Toronto, ON – Opera House
10/14 Detroit, MI – The Magic Stick
10/15 Chicago, IL – Bottom Lounge
10/16 Minneapolis, MN – Triple Rock Social Club
10/18 Denver, CO – Marquis Theatre
10/19 Salt Lake City, UT – In The Venue
10/21 Seattle, WA – Studio Seven
10/22 Vancouver, BC – Rickshaw
10/23 Portland, OR – Hawthorne Theater
10/25 Oakland, CA – Oakland Metro
10/26 Los Angeles, CA – VEX
10/27 Phoenix, AZ – Rocky Point Cantina
10/28 Albuquerque, NM – Launch Pad
10/30 Austin, TX – Red 7
11/01 Atlanta, GA – Masquerade Hell
11/02 Charlotte, NC – The Casbah
11/03 Baltimore, MD – Baltimore Sound Stage

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

YYZ posted:

I personally really like Der Weg einer Freiheit. Their latest album, Unstille, is my favorite of theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V4KCIlsBNA

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

I personally really like Der Weg einer Freiheit. Their latest album, Unstille, is my favorite of theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V4KCIlsBNA

This is pretty good. Plus they're on Spotify, which is always a bonus. Thanks.

skasion posted:

Paysage d'Hiver, of course. Though there's not much resemblance to Bethlehem.

Loving this, very atmospheric. Gotta say though, the fact that the vocals are in German is irrelevant with this band since I'm barely managing to catch any words.

YYZ fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 14, 2013

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

YYZ posted:

Paysage d'Hiver, of course. Though there's not much resemblance to Bethlehem.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
That Watain bill is insane. Miss Tribulation at your peril!

Also, Urfaust are great, an acquired taste though. Definitely worth persevering with.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

YYZ posted:

They are not really like those bands you mentioned, but here is some fantastic black metal with German vocals (first album only...the next one has Neige doing clean vocals and screams in English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyttwRJHRw

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

Optimum Gulps posted:

They are not really like those bands you mentioned, but here is some fantastic black metal with German vocals (first album only...the next one has Neige doing clean vocals and screams in English)

Thanks, listened to the whole of their first album on the train this morning (they're on Spotify!) and found it enjoyable. Very melodic.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

YYZ posted:

Might not be spot on with the style, but Farsot's first album IIII was excellent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh7UyfR_u2I

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nomapple posted:

That Watain bill is insane. Miss Tribulation at your peril!

It's a Swedish invasion!!! :sweden:

In Solitude kinda of stole the show for me last time, but I'm looking forward to seeing all three bands on the bill.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Why won't Walknut release a new record already. Six years and this remains my favorite black metal track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKqE_oYe2Kg&t=601s

Seeing Walknut is probably not coming out with anything new, I'm hoping you guys can point me to something similar. I've heard Ygg.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Optimum Gulps posted:

Parts of it makes me think of bands like Saetia, Orchid and so on. I like it.

e:maybe more like Envy I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Can anyone recommend bands with a similar sound to Wodensthrone or Altar of Plagues? Just checking out other bands in the subgenre or plugging them into a last.fm channel hasn't been turning up much.