Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
A lot of serious laptop business going on in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I need a portable space heater that will play games. Budget is $2000, TIA.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

InstantInfidel posted:

Again, the Y410p only gives playable framerates for intensive games on medium/low settings already.

I played through Metro last light on a y410p on high with physx turned off, and it worked a treat.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
It's better to buy an Air, whose battery life is that of a 2013, 2014, and 2015 laptop, even if it's performance is that of a 2013 laptop. Performance always gets long in the tooth. If you "invest" in a laptop with a battery life equivalent to what you'd get in a 2001 laptop, in order to get the "stats" of a mid range 2014 laptop, you are making an unwise decision.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Seriously though, through B&N Gold, a nicely set up T430 is just under $800. Can't go wrong with that.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Looking at the benchmarks, it seems to me like the Intel HD5x00 chipsets aren't that far behind the dedicated GPUs performance-wise, but they're way ahead on battery life. Which makes something like Sager's NP2740 (link to reflexnotebooks, because I'm Canadian) a pretty decent buy right now. $1350 or thereabouts for 8GB RAM, 128G SSD + 750GB spinning rust, and a core i7-4750HQ (which is the one with the HD5200 onboard).

I already know I'm not interested in playing FPSes at all, let alone playing them at native resolution. And the games I do want to play - FTL, Monaco, a bit of Diablo 3 - will run fine (potentially at reduced settings/resolution, but whatever).

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

sports posted:

It's better to buy an Air, whose battery life is that of a 2013, 2014, and 2015 laptop, even if it's performance is that of a 2013 laptop. Performance always gets long in the tooth. If you "invest" in a laptop with a battery life equivalent to what you'd get in a 2001 laptop, in order to get the "stats" of a mid range 2014 laptop, you are making an unwise decision.

Unless you don't give a poo poo about battery life and just need portable computer. You seem to have a hard time grasping that other people have different requirements. Laptops aren't an investment, they're a depreciating asset.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
It would seem that I have backed myself into a corner here. I was planning on ordering a Lenovo T430 but the problem is that I never expected that it would take them 2 weeks to ship the thing and that shipping time is really cutting it close for me. What would be a decent Sony product that I might be able to get faster? Or any other manufacturer for that matter? I feel really stupid that I left it until so late, but I am so spoiled by Amazon Prime that it isn't even funny.

I'm looking for something with similar specs and portability to the 430, up to about 1 grand. Although a better display would be pretty sweet too.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Giggle Goose posted:

It would seem that I have backed myself into a corner here. I was planning on ordering a Lenovo T430 but the problem is that I never expected that it would take them 2 weeks to ship the thing and that shipping time is really cutting it close for me. What would be a decent Sony product that I might be able to get faster? Or any other manufacturer for that matter? I feel really stupid that I left it until so late, but I am so spoiled by Amazon Prime that it isn't even funny.

I'm looking for something with similar specs and portability to the 430, up to about 1 grand. Although a better display would be pretty sweet too.

Just let the T430 ship. If this is a collegiate deadline thing, it's no big deal to use a computer lab for the first few days at school.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
Any other Iris 5200 laptops around?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

sports posted:

Just let the T430 ship. If this is a collegiate deadline thing, it's no big deal to use a computer lab for the first few days at school.

Yeah I would normally do that, but the problem is that I am moving to France on September 9th and the shipping date is September 3rd. I really wish I had checked their shipping time before.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Frankie! posted:

Any other Iris 5200 laptops around?

Pretty much just the Clevo W740SU: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7182/90-minutes-with-the-clevo-w740su-featuring-iris-pro-hd-5200

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Gophermaster posted:

Unless you don't give a poo poo about battery life and just need portable computer. You seem to have a hard time grasping that other people have different requirements. Laptops aren't an investment, they're a depreciating asset.

That's absolutely, unequivocally wrong. Many people use their laptops for school, work, friends, and entertainment, which is a hell of a lot of our lives. It's in your best interest to invest in a quality machine that fits your needs, which is an Air or an Ultrabook for most people.

Even if they were solely a "depreciating asset", you'd still be hilariously off-base. Apple computers, and especially Apple laptops, hold their value for a much greater period of time than a comparable PC. An Air from a few years ago still commands $400 or $500, compared to a Thinkpax X61, which might get $150 in excellent condition.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Yes, my needs are wrong. Please set me straight o' learned 23 yr old about what I need.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I found a T430 on amazon that would certainly get here on time. The only difference between it and the one that I would have ordered directly from lenovo is that it doesn't have the upgraded display. From what I've seen on here though, the display is pretty lovely anyways so I wonder if it would really even make that big of a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...#productDetails

It also only has 4 gigs of RAM, but I don't really plan on doing any strenuous work with the thing, so that might not be a deal breaker. Plus it looks like I could always add more if it was a problem.

Edit: Info

Giggle Goose fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 16, 2013

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
What's the difference between the T430 and T430i?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone point me to either a reseller for OEM Dell batteries that sells them at a reasonable price, or a good third-party battery brand?

The place I used to get them from has closed. :(

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Gophermaster posted:

Yes, my needs are wrong. Please set me straight o' learned 23 yr old about what I need.

Try again, I never said your needs were wrong. I just called you on your incorrect bullshit.

Giggle Goose posted:

I found a T430 on amazon that would certainly get here on time. The only difference between it and the one that I would have ordered directly from lenovo is that it doesn't have the upgraded display. From what I've seen on here though, the display is pretty lovely anyways so I wonder if it would really even make that big of a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...#productDetails

It also only has 4 gigs of RAM, but I don't really plan on doing any strenuous work with the thing, so that might not be a deal breaker. Plus it looks like I could always add more if it was a problem.

Edit: Info

Other than the screen, that looks fine. If they don't change the connectors or the physical size, you could theoretically put the 1080p IPS display that comes with the T440 on there too.

edit:

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What's the difference between the T430 and T430i?

Where are you seeing an i model at? Doesn't show up for me.

InstantInfidel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 16, 2013

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

InstantInfidel posted:

Try again, I never said your needs were wrong. I just called you on your incorrect bullshit.

What was wrong? Just because Apple products depreciate less doesn't make them investments.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

InstantInfidel posted:

That's absolutely, unequivocally wrong. Many people use their laptops for school, work, friends, and entertainment, which is a hell of a lot of our lives. It's in your best interest to invest in a quality machine that fits your needs, which is an Air or an Ultrabook for most people.
Yes, and he's saying "other people have different requirements". I have no problem accepting some dude might not need battery life for playing FIFA at the girlfriend's. Why is this so hard for you?

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Gophermaster posted:

What was wrong? Just because Apple products depreciate less doesn't make them investments.

I was trying to say that laptops are investments, not novelties, because we rely on them so much in day-to-day life. I didn't mean specifically Apple products, I just cited the air because it's being discussed.

Vegetable posted:

Yes, and he's saying "other people have different requirements". I have no problem accepting some dude might not need battery life for playing FIFA at the girlfriend's. Why is this so hard for you?

Neither do I, did you even read what you quoted?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Cease all idiotic slapfights and derails now. Further posts will result in bans.:siren:

-Everyone has different needs and priorities. Do not impose your needs and priorities on other people. For example, you may care a lot about portability, they may only care about transportability, and that is okay. Small/light notebooks have always been a small market and there are good reasons for that.

-Similarly, for most people that are considering them some gaming "notebook" is a terrible mistake that will give them a bad experience. For some people it's exactly what they want. Post about the downsides and tradeoffs so that someone can make an informed decision about whether they want a machine like this, if they do that doesn't mean they are idiots or wrong.

-If you have decided that a low-power platform offers enough performance for you, that does not mean it offers enough performance for everyone, or even most people. Low-power devices are a subset of the laptop market.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 17, 2013

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Fwiw, I have been playing the following on my y410p:
FFXIV
Payday 2
DOTA2
Dishonored
Batman: Arkham City
Assassins Creed 3
Skyrim with an ENB
Planetside 2

I get a solid 35-60 on most these games at high to medium settings. I usually turn down AA and pick the least important dx11 or other effect to turn down a bit. That's at 1600x900, too.

Edit: if a solid 60fps is very important then a solid stack of medium settings will be necessary. I haven't had to run a single game on low/med.

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 17, 2013

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Switched.on posted:

Fwiw, I have been playing the following on my y410p:
FFXIV
Payday 2
DOTA2
Dishonored
Batman: Arkham City
Assassins Creed 3
Skyrim with an ENB
Planetside 2

I get a solid 35-60 on most these games at high to medium settings. I usually turn down AA and pick the least important dx11 or other effect to turn down a bit. That's at 1600x900, too.

Edit: if a solid 60fps is very important then a solid stack of medium settings will be necessary. I haven't had to run a single game on low/med.

What kind of battery life have you been getting from it? Not gaming, of course, just general use.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Superterranean posted:

What kind of battery life have you been getting from it? Not gaming, of course, just general use.

Not the guy you quoted, but I get 3.5 to 4 hours of Internet browsing battery life on my y410p (at 70% brightness). I don't have a test for video playback life yet.

The y410p can switch to the integrated HD4600 for daily computer use, and kick in to the nvidia 750m when gaming.

Also, I spent 3 hours earlier today playing Sleeping Dogs on my y410p at 1600x900 with most settings on high, but AA off. I was getting 40 to 60 fps the whole time. I'm sure gaming will get more intense when the new consoles become more mainstream, but I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to make use of this laptop for at least 3 years if I'm willing to drop down to 720p, which I am.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 17, 2013

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

This thread is insane, but here's a recommendation request. My friend's laptop just died on him and he's looking to get a new machine. Requirements are <$1000 and able to play Civ 5 and Paradox games. My inclination is to tell him to tough it out and wait for Haswell Lenovos, but he's working a construction job that regularly leaves him in hotel rooms in small town Western Canada, so he gets pretty bored. Should he go for a T430 or something? Just grit his teeth and bear it?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Civ 5 and the paradox games are not exactly graphics heavy, you can handle them easily on ivy bridge integrated graphics. Basically with those requirements he can just pick whatever he likes based on build quality.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Giggle Goose posted:

Yeah I would normally do that, but the problem is that I am moving to France on September 9th and the shipping date is September 3rd. I really wish I had checked their shipping time before.

Call up Lenovo and tell them about your needs. I had to do this because I am going overseas on Monday. The guy was really helpful and told me he would flag my laptop to help it ship out faster, which it did. Worth a shot anyway.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I just got My y510p with an SSD - I didn't realize the OS wouldn't be installed on the SSD (I'm an idiot.) Is it viable to reinstall the OS on the SSD?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
As long as the SSD you got is 120GB or more, yeah. It should have prompted you to make some restore disks. Burn those, pull out the normal HDD, and restore from the disks. Alternately download something like Acronis and have it push things over for you.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

bomblol posted:

I just got My y510p with an SSD - I didn't realize the OS wouldn't be installed on the SSD (I'm an idiot.) Is it viable to reinstall the OS on the SSD?
No, the SSD is tiny and only for use as a cache to the system harddrive.

Edit: Unless you're talking about something you got instead of the harddrive, rather than the <32GB SSD included for caching.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JimboMaloi posted:

This thread is insane, but here's a recommendation request. My friend's laptop just died on him and he's looking to get a new machine. Requirements are <$1000 and able to play Civ 5 and Paradox games. My inclination is to tell him to tough it out and wait for Haswell Lenovos, but he's working a construction job that regularly leaves him in hotel rooms in small town Western Canada, so he gets pretty bored. Should he go for a T430 or something? Just grit his teeth and bear it?

The T430 is a solid purchase, especially since it's massively discounted right now, and everyone who owns one seems to love it (for the price; there are some complaints). I'd say just go for that. He could wait for more Haswells, but I'm not convinced that this is worth it in his case.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Is taking the i5->i7 upgrade on the XPS12 worth it

No

Aphrodite posted:

Is taking the 4gb->8gb upgrade on the XPS12 worth it

Maaaaayyyyybe. What do you plan on doing with it/how much of a power user are you?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The XPS 12 i7/8gb upgrade was kind of a weird bargain at dell.ca when I bought mine last month since with all the deals flying around it was maybe a hundred bucks over the basic model. Kind of a no brainer at that price differential, but yeah more than that and you should probably weigh whether it's a good fit with your user habits. The $300 premium on the 256GB model is absurd to me, for instance.

Anyway it arrived a couple days ago and, maybe this is just the crummy '07 Toshiba Satellite in me talking, but aside from some Windows 8 and touchpad hiccups (and a bizarre issue where SpeedFan destroys my audio) it's proven to be a pretty exceptional little piece of hardware so far. Managed to get Dark Souls (can't believe it's less than 4 gigs) running smoothly at 720p with DSFix but I only tested it for 5-10 minutes. It seemed fine and perfectably playable. Hard drive space is a bit of an issue with the 128 model and the 20 or so gigs stored away in partitions but if I ever get the urge to start hoarding media I'll probably just get a portable external anyway. Otherwise no complaints so far, though that might change when the laptop starts seeing some serious use.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Any rumors on an x230 refresh / x240? I'm thinking if they could shoehorn one of the 28 watt GT3 haswells, it could be very appealing, and given the current gen is using 35 watt parts, it doesn't seem THAT far fetched...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VorpalFish posted:

Any rumors on an x230 refresh / x240? I'm thinking if they could shoehorn one of the 28 watt GT3 haswells, it could be very appealing, and given the current gen is using 35 watt parts, it doesn't seem THAT far fetched...

Might make more sense to use a 15W chip like the MacBook Air and go for long battery life.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bob Morales posted:

Might make more sense to use a 15W chip like the MacBook Air and go for long battery life.
This would seem more likely to me. The x-series has never really been about power, so crazy battery life would seem more in line with its usual selling points than beefed up graphics.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Acer 11.6" Chromebook is $130 (refurb) right now. If you or someone you know just needs a laptop for e-mail, word processing, and internet access, buy this. There was a bunch of school chat over the last few pages; these laptops would be perfect for school. The only downside is that you won't be playing Crysis 2 on your $130 laptop :qq:

The biggest upside is that you probably don't have to worry about breaking it if your documents are being backed up with Google Drive or whatever

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251317512262?_trksid=p2050601.m1256&_trkparms=%26clkid%3D597256434157804169&_qi=RTM1532102

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 17, 2013

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Seems pretty great, but I'm studying CS and not seeing some IDEs for Chrome OS anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

minusX posted:

Seems pretty great, but I'm studying CS and not seeing some IDEs for Chrome OS anywhere
Chrome OS doesn't really have applications, you just do stuff in the browser, so you could use something like CLoud9. The other option is installing Linux on it. One of the guys I work with has the Acer and he put Ubuntu on it and it works well enough.