Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I got bored. Story about two Fallen who wanted to escape the racism and oppression.

==================

"Run."

That was enough to wake up Blueshift. She looked up to see the human form of Gravewheel, already dressing up. While the air was still warm during the night, if you needed to go somewhere in a hurry, socks and shoes were vital.

Blueshift quickly dressed up, putting on her jogging tanktop. While the warning had been pretty clear and just one word, there were no other sounds, nothing to indicate that he had found them. As she put on the socks and got the shoes ready, she looked up at her mate.

"The others?" She asked.

"Still on their vacation. Maybe that will save their lives, and Chrissy." Gravewheel said. "But the webcam at the portal showed the red. We have no time to lose."

Blueshift was dressed up and grabbed her car keys. While it was a beater it was better than nothing. She didn't want to shift into roller coaster form for no reason. If she and Gravewheel were quick enough, they could flee the state and begin somewhere new.

But as she and Gravewheel went outside, she saw two men at the parking lot. One a bit young looking, and another older. And then they transformed.

"Run!" Gravewheel yelled again and with near fluidly he transformed and attacked them both. Blueshift was terrified and knew that she couldn't outrun the attackers on her car or on foot. She transformed, not as quickly as Gravewheel, and ran.

She didn't even get out of the parking lot until she felt a heavy weight upon her. It took her a moment to see that Gravewheel was busy with the white coaster called Thunderbark, and she had the Red on top of her, raking at her seats.

Blueshift tucked her head in and thrashed her long body around. It wrapped around the body of the Red coaster and she tossed him aside using that. The rumors were true, he was not a skilled fighter, using his superior weight and pure ferocity to carry the way for him to victory. But instead of sticking around and waiting for him to attack again, she ran away while he was still lying on the side dazed.

"She's getting away Railrunner!" She heard yelling behind her, then went over to the freeway. She needed to build up speed.

There were still cars driving on the freeway, and she lost precious velocity trying to dodge them. She realized that she was in the diamond lane for most of the time. But soon enough, she heard cars honking behind her, and it was followed by the more sickening sound of cars being crushed. She dared to look behind her and saw the destruction Railrunner was causing as he ran after her. He didn't dodge cars, he just stomped on them as if he hoped to gain precious air on her. She nearly cried as she looked around. She had heard he had grown up in this world, how could he be just so blind to the deaths he was really causing?

Ultimately she jumped off the freeway and into the woods. She couldn't stand hearing the chaos and deaths Railrunner was causing. And she knew that the woods were her domain. She didn't even need to know them. She was a wooden coaster, so the trees spoke to her and bend to her will.

As she ran in the woods she was keenly aware of the trees, every branch and root. Without any effort, she knew where to step, she was aware of all her limbs and seats. And even then the forest spoke where Railrunner was. He was dragging behind. Not only because he didn't know the forest and it didn't speak to him in the same way it spoke to her, but she also willed the forest to hinder his movement. Treebranches moved in his way, roots moved up to stumble one of his many legs.

For a while, she felt the joy. She was actually getting away from the blood-red butcher. But as her guard went down, she felt searing heat passing above her and land in front of her. The sudden intensity of the brightness blinded her. She couldn't do anything but stop as the flames licked the forest in front of her. It hurt her intensely as the ground didn't even give under her enough to lessen the pain of the sudden stop. As she turned away from the flames she looked back. She heard him before she saw him. But he had the advantage of not being blinded by the flames. She felt the sudden explosion on the side of her body that threw her into the burning trees. Even before she could recover she was tossed even further back by the same kind of force. And then Railrunner had caught up to her.

Blueshift couldn't even breathe as she felt the claws enter her. She opened her mouth trying to muster up her own kind of concussion beam while raking his sides with her own claws from all her limbs. Again she wrapped her body around him and tried to toss him off, but he had his own hold on her. And with a quick movement of his tattooed arm, he shifted his claws inside of her, slashing her heart.

As she lied there, bleeding out internally, she saw the white coaster coming to the red. He was injured, but before she could learn what happened to Gravewheel, everything went black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satsuma
Apr 30, 2010
I've been following this thread for a few weeks now, and I guess I'm kind of an rear end in a top hat but what I'm really hoping for is that Miranda Leek discovers this thread/the YouTube video and entertains us with a dramatic defense of her ridiculous creation.

Of all the illogical and lazy elements of Amusement Park Inbetween, the thing I find most mystifying is the use of human furniture. Chairs and beds are designed specifically for humans. Literally no other animal on the planet is suited to using these items. But in Amusement Park Inbetween, where no one is even a biped, and most rides don't remotely have the anatomy to sit on a chair or lie in a bed, they are in constant use.

What's worse is that Miranda Leek is obviously completely aware of this fact, judging by her drawings of of Railrunner in bed where she conveniently only draws one end of the bed in each picture. Why would Merrylegs and Static sleep in beds? How does a roller coaster, with no butt and centipede-like anatomy, sit on a chair? Twisted is like story written by a little kid, where the author's answer to everything is "I don't know how it works, it just does".

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I wouldn't want to see that because it's best to watch this sort of thing from afar. It's a lot different to quietly observe a rhinoceros from afar (and snicker at it) than it is to have an angry rhinoceros charging at you.

I agree, though, that the incidental details are some of the most disappointing, because it's where you could be really creative and show what things rides would make for themselves but it's just human stuff all the time.

Maybe they're just complete hacks who can't make technology that doesn't derive from human technology, being human 'technology' themselves. So despite being terrible at using them, they just can't come up with a better bed than a human bed, or a better chair than a human chair.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Djeser posted:

I wouldn't want to see that because it's best to watch this sort of thing from afar. It's a lot different to quietly observe a rhinoceros from afar (and snicker at it) than it is to have an angry rhinoceros charging at you.

I agree, though, that the incidental details are some of the most disappointing, because it's where you could be really creative and show what things rides would make for themselves but it's just human stuff all the time.

Maybe they're just complete hacks who can't make technology that doesn't derive from human technology, being human 'technology' themselves. So despite being terrible at using them, they just can't come up with a better bed than a human bed, or a better chair than a human chair.

But Miranda Leek Thunderbark said that “However, we have technology that is far more advanced than any humans". Are you calling her him a liar, hmm?

Tampa Bay Barbie
Oct 30, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

But Miranda Leek Thunderbark said that “However, we have technology that is far more advanced than any humans". Are you calling her him a liar, hmm?

Buttchairs are the height of technology.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Why wouldn't you just roll along on your wheels instead of using them as feet :psyduck:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm saying rollercoasters are assholes with inflated egos and superiority complexes who think that being rollercoasters make them better than humans. Based on Railrunner, that's not far from the truth. So of course they'd think they had amazing technology when all they can do is make equivalents of human technology.

e:vv Yeah, Amusement Park Narnia is remarkably backwards in terms of technology. What if the created rides lack some sort of basic sense of ingenuity or creativity? That's why everything is so bland and copied from humans, because they don't have that ability to solve problems with new solutions, they can only copy old solutions.

Maybe that's what makes reds so special, because they're born and not created, so they're capable of ruling because they can solve problems creatively. Something hosed up though, or Ironwheel taught himself ingenuity, and that's how he was able to come to power, because no one was planning on another roller coaster with creativity besides the current red. Railrunner's gang throw themselves behind him because they just want to follow a red, no matter if he's psychotic, while Ironwheel is trying to consolidate his power so that he can uplift all the rides and they don't have to submit to tyranny.

So there's another explanation of how Railrunner is really the villain and Ironwheel is really the good guy.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 16, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Djeser posted:

I'm saying rollercoasters are assholes with inflated egos and superiority complexes who think that being rollercoasters make them better than humans. Based on Railrunner, that's not far from the truth. So of course they'd think they had amazing technology when all they can do is make equivalents of human technology.

Their technology is actually worse. Remember the torches in Ironwheel's castle? I know they're there because Final Boss Dungeon, but come on!

Dreggon posted:

Why wouldn't you just roll along on your wheels instead of using them as feet :psyduck:

Miranda Leek said it looked stupid.

Seriously.

I am right there with you, :psyduck: buddy.

EDIT: Holy poo poo guys check out the book's Amazon page. (:nws:)

...I kinda wanna read that last one :stare:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 16, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dreggon posted:

If you had paid attention you'd know that their wheels magically shift to a new position when they stand on rails, and that's when those come into play for transport.

That's also how steel and wood roller coasters are different -- they're only able to do that with tracks of their respective materials :eng101:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure that's just some browsing trolling going on with the amazon suggestions. I've seen it done few times before.

It's always so amazing to see goons actually taking the idea of absurd roller coaster dragons and turm it into something that sounds so much more interesting than the original thing. While keeping the roller coaster dragons.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SSNeoman posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo guys check out the book's Amazon page. (:nws:)

...I kinda wanna read that last one :stare:

While it is funny, the reason those show up are because Twisted was featured on The Worst Things For Sale, which also featured the latter three and whose author, Drew, did the vocals for Pleasure Nexus, which is...this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_JrCU8F-vs

That blog is where I found out about Twisted, then I posted about it on SA and someone said 'hey there's a thread in Book Barn' and I was like :aaaaa:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Angrymog posted:

Were they crystals that made its wheels grow long and thin?

We originally discovered the world of Twisted through one of the DeviantArt threads, right? Now I'm wondering if Crying Crystal Hands guy is writing a book... :cry:

Iced Cocoa posted:

She also talks about tails. Tails! They do not have tails, they have a long body!

I know it has been said several times now, but if this were a story about dragons and other mythological creatures it would be generic fantasy whatever, but it would be better than this travesty.

I still think Miranda started as another crazy dragon person on DeviantArt, but she turned her dragons into rollercoaster-things so she could be more Different and Special. So for the sake of science, I drew Railrunner the way Miranda draws him now but as a "gently caress You I'm a Dragon" type:

(Who has the ever-growing version of :gonk: ? Cause that was my face while having to draw everything from his waist down.)

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The thing is that they've always been roller coasters. Most of the actually good colored art predates her DA account. She joined DA about 2 years ago, but the book was published in 2010. Add at least one more year to come up with this, wrote and do illustrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Iced Cocoa posted:

The thing is that they've always been roller coasters. Most of the actually good colored art predates her DA account. She joined DA about 2 years ago, but the book was published in 2010. Add at least one more year to come up with this, wrote and do illustrations.

I honestly think her style was, if anything, corrupted by the Deviantart dragon fixation. If you spend enough time on DA,and try to improve based on how the most popular artists work, then of course you'll draw lovely furry-style dragons with hosed up anatomy. That's, like, Deviantart in a nutshell.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

crowfeathers posted:

If you had paid attention you'd know that their wheels magically shift to a new position when they stand on rails, and that's when those come into play for transport.

Right, but then you get drawing like this:

Which only reinforces the fact that Miranda has no idea why they have fingerwheels in the first place.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
The only reason they have wheels at all is because they're roller coasters. Same reason they have seats, those don't do jack poo poo for them (besides being a location for obligatory piercings) but they have to be there because roller coaster. That's it. You know that's the only reason they even have token cars on them past the torso now too.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Thinking a bit about this (oh god why?) I've kind of figured out that all regarding Miranda's artwork and writing is summarized as "They're suppposed to have X, but-" Miranda does make up those rules for them, but for the sake of not being incovenienced, she writes or draws wile ignoring them. So we get roller coasters wearing a trenchcoat that conceals their color, drawings of them having human anatomy because it's easier than figuring out how their anatomy would really work, and a drawing of Railrunner on the rails with hands because she has never drawn roller coasters morphed to the rails.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that I am not convinced she has ever actually seen a roller coaster.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Pick posted:

I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that I am not convinced she has ever actually seen a roller coaster.

Maybe she's like Rodney and loves roller coasters despite never having gone to an amusement park in his life.

Write What You Know!

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Djeser posted:

Maybe she's like Rodney and loves roller coasters despite never having gone to an amusement park in his life.

Write What You Know!

But he was a roller coaster engineer...Miranda, how the hell did he work on coasters if he'd literally never been to an amusement park ever in any capacity???

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

SC Bracer posted:

But he was a roller coaster engineer...Miranda, how the hell did he work on coasters if he'd literally never been to an amusement park ever in any capacity???
To give her due credit, she does actually explain that one.

quote:

I decided to lie like a trained actor trying out for a specific part in a big-time movie.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

I have just read this entire thread and want to thank Miranda Leek for bringing this glorious creation into the world. It would make an excellent gag gift but at £13 it's just too much.

I just have one complaint. Why the hell is it called 'Amusement Park Between' instead of 'the Amusement Park Between'? This has been bugging me for 37 pages- the latter sounds so much better. :argh:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

No More Toast posted:

I have just read this entire thread and want to thank Miranda Leek for bringing this glorious creation into the world. It would make an excellent gag gift but at £13 it's just too much.

I just have one complaint. Why the hell is it called 'Amusement Park Between' instead of 'the Amusement Park Between'? This has been bugging me for 37 pages- the latter sounds so much better. :argh:

Or for that matter, why is it the "Amusement Park Between"? What is it "between"? I think Bobbin Threadbare has exactly the right idea by changing it to "the Park Beyond" which makes much more sense considering that the realm is supposed to be the afterlife for amusement park rides.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Working my way through the thread, and got to visit Miranda's DA gallery for the first time. I was wondering why the dragons in her "Dragons" folder looked better than a lot of her other work, and why they seemed somewhat familiar, then realised they seem to be heavily inspired by this artist: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/beastofoblivion/

Compare Miranda's "God of the Sky" and it's design with the other's Fu Dragon/Snow Fu, or "Dragon Wrath" with things like "Wyvern". It's not tracing/outright copying or whatever but it would explain where the sudden dramatic perspectives that don't show up elsewhere came from.

Now back to reading for me-only on page 7 and haven't even stolen the necklace yet, so apparently still have an amazing journey ahead of me. :confuoot:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Mr.Radar posted:

Or for that matter, why is it the "Amusement Park Between"? What is it "between"? I think Bobbin Threadbare has exactly the right idea by changing it to "the Park Beyond" which makes much more sense considering that the realm is supposed to be the afterlife for amusement park rides.

It's between...amusement parks? As in like it's between all amusement parks, like some kinda wormhole that exists, connecting all the amusement parks together.

Still there's better names for that, like Amusement Park Nexus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Amusement Park Panopticon would be my choice, because they're all sociopathic murderers.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just finished this horrific story. What chafes me the most is that there is the core of an excellent story here if all the anthro was stripped out. A land where all carnival constructions live on in silence, repeating their same routines as in life and reflecting their personal history would be fascinating. Say a full colosseum or jousting ring with disembodied suits of armor engaging in deadly combat, circuses with clown shoes walking around and overflowing popcorn makers, or amusement rides rolling around on their own. Not smug faces, no sighs, no talking: just a go-kart nudging the kind that got lost here and emitting a forlorn beep.

...hold on a second let me open up a word document...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Triskelli posted:

Just finished this horrific story. What chafes me the most is that there is the core of an excellent story here if all the anthro was stripped out. A land where all carnival constructions live on in silence, repeating their same routines as in life and reflecting their personal history would be fascinating. Say a full colosseum or jousting ring with disembodied suits of armor engaging in deadly combat, circuses with clown shoes walking around and overflowing popcorn makers, or amusement rides rolling around on their own. Not smug faces, no sighs, no talking: just a go-kart nudging the kind that got lost here and emitting a forlorn beep.

Just re-read Bobbin's contributions.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mercedes posted:

Isaak looks up from his drink with a smile and says, “You're right. I'm only here because of you. I might as well allow you goons to lavish me with money as I keep your asses out of jail.”

Jameson laughs heartily lifting his drink to you. “Here's to the future.”

Isaak lightly taps Jameson's beer glass with his own. “To the future.”

Isaak's suit pocket vibrates. He holds a finger up to excuse himself from the table so he can take the call. The young, blonde companion in response pulls out a pocket mirror and reapplies her make-up. Once outside the restaurant, he presses the phone against his ear and answers, “This is Isaak.”

The voice on the other end of the phone call causes the wrinkles around Isaak's eyes to crease in vexation. He squints and with his free hand rubs his forehead to soothe the building headache.

“I'm on my way.” He finally says, ending the call and stuffing the phone into his suit. Isaak heads back into the restaurant and up to his driver. “Get the car for me please? I need to make an appearance.” He says. “Afterwards, you can drop the girl off at her place or your place, I don't give a poo poo.” Isaak smiles, wearing the mask to hide his true emotions.

The driver chuckles. “Of course sir.” He says as he leaves out the front.

One of Isaak's bodyguards hands him his coat and scarf, which he puts it on. Isaak then walks to his table and addresses the young woman. “I must be off. I do thank you for your company.” He nods to one of his men and the bodyguard escorts her out.

As Isaak walks through the police station, he feels the angry eyes of countless police officers burning holes into the back of his head. It made him feel powerful. He effectively made the police's job twice as hard if they ever had any hope of charges sticking. Isaak made his way into interrogation and immediately made his presence known. “Hello Detectives. That will be enough thank you.”

Isaak looks at Jameson and notices he has a mist of blood on his neck and cheek. “Hey there Sharky.” Jameson says.

“Be quiet. Not another word until I get you alone with me.” Isaak says tersely. His anger is bubbling up inside, but nothing shows on his face.

One of the detectives leans back in his chair and snarks. “I wouldn't even bother councilor. This is open and shut.”

“Did I not make myself clear Detective?”

The detective holds his hands up defensively. “Alright, alright. We'll be outside.”

When the detectives leave the room Isaak turns on Jameson, his fury barely contained. “What the gently caress did you do this time Jameson?”

“Relax Shark, no body, no crime.”

“No body no-” Isaak puffs through his nostrils in agitation. “Jameson, I need to know everything you know, so that I'm fully prepared just in case you hosed up and poo poo hits the fan.”

“Brother I'm telling you not to worry. I've been in this game for like thirty years. I know how to cover my poo poo up. Everything is already taken care of.”

Isaak glares at Jameson, thinking of what to do next.

Force Jameson to tell Isaak what he knows.

Trust Jameson has everything under control.

:confused:

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Just a little something I do every week.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Triskelli posted:

I think Twisted! has the core of a Disney film.

Three kids from Huntersberg - Sly, Buddy and Clare - are devastated to discover that their local amusement park, Mystic Park, is going to be closed down. They break in at night to wander around all nostalgic like and accidentally run into the genii loci of the amusement park - Ironwheel the big black coaster, Freakshow who has kind of crazy patchwork theming, and Bones the carousel horse. They explain to the kids that anywhere that gets as many excited visitors as an amusement park would have its own numinous spirits. People go on holidays to particular park complexes, they travel cross-country to experience the fastest, highest, most extreme rides. It's like a religious pilgrimage for the secular age. They tell the kids that the genii loci of the next nearest amusement park to Huntersburg, A.P.B., are the ones behind the plot to close Mystic Park in order to have total control over their end of Tennessee and gain power for themselves. I dunno, maybe they're blackmailing the owner.

The A.P.B. genii loci are, like, the popular kids. If this were a film about high school, they'd be the cheerleaders and the football stars. Merrylegs, the shallow giggling carousel horse; Static, the obnoxious bumper car; the old one Thunderbark who's like the evil school princple or something and the new star attraction, Railrunner. He's a huge jerk.

Using the power of optimism, the kids convince the Mystic Park rides that they shouldn't just give up and wait to be decommissioned. They join forces to defeat the evil jocks of A.P.B. and convince everyone in Huntersburgh to love Mystic Park again and maybe teach the owner who's being blackmailed that whatever he did wasn't all that bad. Because Railrunner's a new ride, his human form is roughly the same age as the three kids, and he tries to lure Clare away with like sexual wiles or something. She kicks him in an area roller coasters don't usually have.

Ultimately, everyone learns an important lesson about friendship and fun, and Static is lit on fire.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Erm, I wasn't going to uploads this, but then I saw the description.

Warning: :nws::nms: It's Fuckdoll taking a shower.

quote:

Some anatomy practice with ShadowtrackFuckdoll. I haven't drawn her in a while. It looks like she's enjoying one of her favorite activities, a long hot shower.

lol, I didn't put breasts on my female coasters to arouse. When I first started drawing my coasters, they all looked the same and I was sick of others asking if the character was male or female. The most obvious way to feminize anything is give it a more organic form, as in busty and curvy.

What kind of goddamn anatomy lesson is this?
Goons, do you have the answer? Is this even proper anatomy for a human?

If you didn't put breasts to arouse, aren't you sending the wrong message when it comes to in what groups this thing is?

In the dropdown list is also a group called Furry-Babes.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gosh, I can't tell if this airplane is meant to be female or not. If only Disney had put some boobs on it!

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...
I'm torn between 'no way that's supposed to be a roller coaster vagina' and 'what the gently caress else could it possibly be'. :gonk:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Madoushi posted:

I'm torn between 'no way that's supposed to be a roller coaster vagina' and 'what the gently caress else could it possibly be'. :gonk:

Something worse

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/linea-nigra.aspx

quote:

The linea nigra is that vertical line on your belly, a pregnancy trademark that shows up on moms-to-be of all stripes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Madoushi posted:

Navel, I think. I guess the compromise between anatomy and OHGODMYEYES would be Navelvagina.

edit: ^^^^ Oh, God DAMNIT Miranda! :cripes:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's at times like this when I remember the incredibly illuminating interview given by Kristen Perry, an artist who works for Arenanet. Ya know, the guys who did Guild Wars 2? Anyway.

In Guild Wars 2 Anet decided to make the charr a playable race. What's a charr?

These guys. They are a race of warmongering helltigers who used to worship fire and now are obsessed with the industrial age.

More importantly, they used to be all male antagonists (they were, after all, trash mobs in Guild Wars 1).

So the task was given to Kristen to make a female model that also fit the charr origins.
Here's what she had to say:

quote:

Q: Kristen, can you talk a little about the different approaches you tried out for the female charr before settling on the final design?

Kristen: As a team, we had many discussions regarding the direction of the female charr, and a lot of that back-and-forth was in the form of thumbnail sketches and theoretical debate. These discussions centered around the tension between making the female charr attractive to the playerbase while still making it look like part of the same race as the male charr.

Much of the problem was in making the female charr more universally attractive, which leans towards a more human appearance. Those initial designs explored the tension between an acceptable human notion of beauty and an animalistic design that is cool, but just too “creature” for the average player to find engaging. This exploratory process brought about one model design that was indeed more humanoid and catgirl in appearance. It had the back leg joint articulation of the charr, but stood much more upright, had a human neck, slender arms and almost hand-like paws—and, yes, breasts. The problem with this design, though, was we were trying to find a solution between both goals, which meant we didn’t really satisfy either. The human part of our charr catgirl wasn’t human enough to be cute, and the charr part of her wasn’t charr enough to be fierce, let alone look like a female of the same race. So while this experiment was very important for visualization, in the end it didn’t give us the result we wanted.

By this point we knew we didn’t want a catgirl, but there was still another conundrum to solve. The males of the charr race are large, overly muscular, brutish, and monstrous. We couldn’t give the female of the race the same hulking masculine proportions, because then there’d be no real way to see any gender difference. But how do you make a smaller, less muscular, less imposing member of the race feel just as powerful as their male counterparts?

Q: So how did you strike that balance and create something that was both feminine and charr-like?

Kristen: Well, when I started designing the female charr, I definitely wanted her to feel just as fierce as the male of the race. She had to feel sleek and agile while at the same time have an appearance of strength and power. By thinking in terms of movement, it became clear the answer was in optimizing nuances. Yes, she had to be large and robust like the male, but we could tone down the testosterone by really extending her body lines to gracefully flow from the top of her head to tail tip.

I didn’t see any reason whatsoever to give her less clawing power, so I rebuilt the sabers on her hands and feet and brought out the padding design. The face and horns were designed with style and movement in mind, but also incorporated markedly more feminine cat-like features instead of the more monstrous male features
, though there will be those options too. The horns don’t have a particular direction to denote gender; they just have to look cool. The female’s tail, however, has long hair. This was a very specific thing I wanted to include, as I love the sweeping feel to the long hair, and it’s an easy detail to note from behind in telling whether the charr is male or female.

Finally, there was the matter of the chest. It really didn’t make any sense to have boobs on a charr female, particularly with all the effort we took to make her sleek and fierce. We thought they should have no breasts at all or at least hide them under some fluffy fur. Above all else, we needed to be true to the race, of course! There was still some debate, however, so I gave them a choice: either be subtle and downplay the breasts (it wasn’t a point of the race, anyway) or go full-on realistic. Yes, that’s right —none or six!!

But really, the armor augmentation required for six boobs would be just as ridiculous, so none it was!

I know I'm bolding like everything in the second answer, but that's because all those are lessons that major companies, let alone Miranda, could stand to learn.

Miranda's problem in this case, and one she is stubbornly refusing to acknowledge, is that her murdercoasters all basically have the same head. This makes them look identical because their silhoutte pretty much is. Rather than fixing this by giving them heads of different shapes and sizes,she instead defaults to the lazy "add boobs" method.
Incidentally, this (and I cannot believe I'm saying this) contradicts her story's own internal logic.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 22, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSNeoman posted:

Miranda's problem in this case, and one she is stubbornly refusing to acknowledge, is that her murdercoasters all basically have the same head. This makes them look identical because their silhoutte pretty much is. Rather than fixing this by giving them heads of different shapes and sizes,she instead defaults to the lazy "add boobs" method.
Incidentally, this (and I cannot believe I'm saying this) contradicts her story's own internal logic.

Beyond that, why are there "male" and "female" roller-coasters and other amusement park rides in the first place? None of them are "born" except for reds, and none of them reproduce except for the roller coaster designated for forced impregnation with the next red.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure Fuckdoll is actually not pregnant, given that for a time about a third of Miranda's gallery was all pregnant roller coasters and it was just Angeltrack. What's happening here is that Miranda has drawn Angeltrack for so long as pregnant that the linea nigra is for her something that everyone has. Somehow she had also figured it's a crack rather than a line, which makes it more disturbing anyway. I guess she saw the line when looking for pregnancy references, but now she has forgotten why she added the line in the first place and Fuckdoll gets the line just out of habit as she has drawn Angeltrack so much more than Fuckdoll.

As for the gender differences, you're right, they don't make sense in an environment where there is no reproduction. But this is more for the anthropomorphasing the rides than to make sense biologically. Humans made rides, and we can build them as masculine or feminine structures. In some languages, not including English, some objects are not referred to as "it" but rather "he/her". In Icelandic, a spoon is referred to as "she" while knife and fork are referred to as "he".

And as for the pregnancy itself, I never really agreed with the "pick the sweetest steel roller coaster to be impregnated" thing. When I had read just how Railrunner is full of bloodlust and barely able to justify his killings in any sensible matter, I figured that his better origin story would not be that he's the spirit of APB, but rather he's the blood of the innocents bled unfairly, giving him his red coloration and his bloodlust for those who have wrong the innocents of the park.

Any ride which has brutally attacked or killed another ride might soon be visited by a red ride (roller coaster or not doesn't matter in this case), filled with the blood of the victim and is now on a warpath to dispense justice against the perpetrator. Being born out of torture and death gives the red ride no conscience or moral thoughts, its only goal is to kill those that have wronged those that birthed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Iced Cocoa posted:

I'm pretty sure Fuckdoll is actually not pregnant, given that for a time about a third of Miranda's gallery was all pregnant roller coasters and it was just Angeltrack. What's happening here is that Miranda has drawn Angeltrack for so long as pregnant that the linea nigra is for her something that everyone has. Somehow she had also figured it's a crack rather than a line, which makes it more disturbing anyway. I guess she saw the line when looking for pregnancy references, but now she has forgotten why she added the line in the first place and Fuckdoll gets the line just out of habit as she has drawn Angeltrack so much more than Fuckdoll.

Except Railrunner has the same dumb frontbutt underneath his bellybutton. I'm on my phone or I'd go back and look for examples.

• Locked thread