Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Who ordered the pork roll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
For those who missed Colbert last night, there was a great segment on a small town in Kentucky, and their feelings on "The Gays!"

People who are Destroying America.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Scientists just "discovered" a new species, the olinguito, and it's adorable.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

DrBouvenstein posted:

For those who missed Colbert last night, there was a great segment on a small town in Kentucky, and their feelings on "The Gays!"

As a Kentuckian, I thank you for this :banjo: :gay:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I love how dogs and cats are polar opposites as it relates to belly patting...dogs get all grumpy when you don't pet them, cats maul your hand if you try :3:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Who ordered the pork roll?

Porkour! :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ozz81 posted:

I love how dogs and cats are polar opposites as it relates to belly patting...dogs get all grumpy when you don't pet them, cats maul your hand if you try :3:

Pff, since when, my cat loves bellyrubs to the degree that he just flops on his back whenever I walk near him.

E: Although now that I think about it, my cat does look pretty similar to that dog...

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Aug 15, 2013

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Ozz81 posted:

Porkour! :v:

I feel so sorry for people who own non-belly rubbin' cats. My big ol ragdoll will purr like a small motor if you start runnin' her tummy. :3:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

This is my favourite thing ever. :3:

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
This seal pup was recently born at the New England Aquarium:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They've named the new capybara babies at the Nagasaki Biopark. They are Choco, Doughnut, and Macaroni.

(Choco and Doughnut pictured, not that it's easy to tell them apart anyways)

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Aug 16, 2013

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Found this video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZYA3NRCHyQ

Family gets a parakeet, and it gets injured. What happens next is amazing :3:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Speaking of birds, this one is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNSaDo2qGWg

Tapatapatapatapatapa :3:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I've just moved house and am sorting out my old family photo albums. Looking through my grandparent's photos i found this one and it made me smile that all those years ago my grandparents were taking photos of their pets doing goofy things the same way my wife and I take photos of our pets today :3:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

cyberia posted:

I've just moved house and am sorting out my old family photo albums. Looking through my grandparent's photos i found this one and it made me smile that all those years ago my grandparents were taking photos of their pets doing goofy things the same way my wife and I take photos of our pets today :3:

Putting hats on dogs is a tradition that transcends the generations.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
The shelter I volunteer for posted this on their facebook page a little while ago and it made my day.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A story from a while ago that might be weird, but felt kinda :3: to me at the time:

I'm at a local fest with some buddies, and one of the more "deep" guys points out that the spheroid clouds of little flies we're noticing are actually mating. I don't know if he's right or not about it, but whatever. I think it was me who said "A cloud of fly sex. neat."

Turns out this little girl (4-5? I'm bad at ages) next to us heard, and in the most :3: way imaginable, said "Did you say that the flies are hum-peeng?" Then she gives this ear-to-ear conspiratorial grin, like she caught us saying a bad word and wanted to get us in trouble.

Her parents apologized, but I was too :unsmith: to even tell them I didn't mind.

burrito
Apr 6, 2011

I wish I had a taco instead.
Woodland Park Zoo has set up a giraffe cam for their new baby boy.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

:)

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I want so badly to see this video, but I can't find a place to access it outside of the US. Anyone have any suggestions?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

I want so badly to see this video, but I can't find a place to access it outside of the US. Anyone have any suggestions?

google "colbert outside us" or something like that. The answer is ModifyHeaders for Firefox.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

It worked for me in Greece, no fuss at all. I'm on Chrome if that makes a difference.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bpower posted:

google "colbert outside us" or something like that. The answer is ModifyHeaders for Firefox.

Or Header Hacker for Chrome. You make a setting for "X-Forwarded-For Replace With 12.13.14.15" and then apply that to colbertnation.com and comedycentral.com

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atticus_1354 posted:

Putting hats on dogs is a tradition that transcends the generations.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Here's a story:

My friend, Matthew, is an Iraq vet with multiple traumatic brain injuries and severe PTSD, as well as seizures and severe memory loss from the aforementioned TBIs. Matthew has trouble with daily functioning, as he's on a shitload of medication and cannot remember if/when he took it. Also, he can't really make friends anymore, as he's more comfortable hiding out from the world. Sudden movements, loud noises, and crowds are all a no-go, plus it's hard to predict when a seizure will hit.

In August of last year, Matthew heard from an ex-girlfriend, who convinced him to move across the country so he could help raise her daughter and they could be a happy family. He jumped at the chance at some sort of normalcy, and spent over $14k (his entire savings) to move out to be with her. Not two months later, she had moved on to another guy, and so Matthew has been stuck in an apartment he can't afford, thousands of miles from friends and family, with no way to save enough to get back. Technically, through Social Security and VA disability, he makes too much to qualify for help, but he's still living in poverty. It's common for him to go days without eating just to ration out the groceries he can afford for the month.

He's made exactly one friend while he's been out there: the cab driver who takes him to the VA hospital and back for his appointments. The apartment his ex had to have is pretty far from the city, so it costs him $80 each trip to get to his doctors, or to go grocery shopping, or anything else he needs to do. The cab driver will cut him breaks when he's short on cash, and (most importantly) will let him carry his sidearm on the cab. During the long drive, they'll talk about their lives, their families, whatever friends would talk about.

A couple weeks ago, Matthew called me and sounded extremely excited. During one of the cab rides, the driver asked if he wanted to stop for some food. Matthew refused, saying that he didn't want to be rude and eat in the cab during Ramadan. He offhandedly included that he couldn't really afford to do so anyways. The next day, the driver called him up (which was odd thing #1) and told him to be home at a certain time (which was weird thing #2).

So Matthew waits until the appointed time, and the driver comes up to his door with bags and bags of groceries. Soda, vegetables, bottled water, fruit, granola bars, gluten-free cookies, meat - at least $200 worth of stuff, plus another $80 in cash.

When he told me about it, and as I'm typing it up now, I'm nearly in tears that anyone can be so generous to someone they admittedly haven't known that long. That driver went so far above and beyond the kindness he was already showing to a guy in a lovely situation. Even thinking of the goodness of that man's heart inspires me to give more to the people around me who need it.

And there's some uplifting words for today.

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

Wow my house got really dusty all of a sudden. :unsmith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anyway we can help? Send money to somewhere to bring him home?

Its not loving fair what happened to him.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Alteisen posted:

I was thinking the same thing - someone in Matthew's situation shouldn't be living in poverty like that, and he got royally screwed by his ex to top it off. I'd gladly give some money or send some non-perishable goods his way until he can get back on his feet.

ConcreteDachshund
Dec 29, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

I was thinking the same thing - someone in Matthew's situation shouldn't be living in poverty like that, and he got royally screwed by his ex to top it off. I'd gladly give some money or send some non-perishable goods his way until he can get back on his feet.

I would be willing to contribute as well!

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
I was thinking the same. Goons, we really are good people :unsmith:

Do you have his address?

In that story, I was really hoping the cab driver asked Matthew to be his new roommate, but what he did was also awesome.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Alteisen posted:

Here I was just hoping to lighten some hearts!

If any of you honestly want to help this one guy, shoot me a PM. He deserves some goodness in his life. Otherwise, if you want to help people in similar situations (e.g., millions of combat-wounded vets who live on the brink of destitution), throw some money or time over to The Wounded Warrior Project or your local chapter of Disabled American Veterans.

Jesus... You guys :unsmith:

Edit: I texted him to be sure it was kosher that I offer to let people help him and asked what he needs at the moment. His reply? "*grumble* Tell them that I just really need to get back home, where I have people who love me and I'm not totally lost."

There must be a dust epidemic going around...

Busket Posket has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Aug 17, 2013

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

This is a great post.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goons bought an organ once for someone once, we can sure as hell bring someone back home. :colbert:

Especially someone who ended up that hosed up due to serving his country only to be screwed over by someone.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

Did you find this? If you're from Canada go to comedynetwork.ca and watch Aug 14th's episode, the part linked is part 1. It's good!

e:

How far is he from where home is?

Curiosity has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Aug 18, 2013

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Now with sound effects!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMnBaCIHc5M

Chinchilla loves chin scratching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeVx9AZZltA

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I'll help.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It does my shriveled, bitter heart good to see people helping a total stranger just because.

A nice lady bought me breakfast once when I was a poor college student waiting for the bus back to campus from my then-girlfriend's place.

I guess that's kind of uplifting. :3:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Curiosity posted:

How far is he from where home is?

I wonder that, too. Also, were he to be going back home, would he have a place where to stay? I'd love to help but right now buying groceries (nothing against the cab driver, he did a wonderful gesture in the circumstances) is only keeping him alive in his ongoing problem. I'd rather help him going back home if that's otherwise feasable for him. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Pilli posted:

I wonder that, too. Also, were he to be going back home, would he have a place where to stay? I'd love to help but right now buying groceries (nothing against the cab driver, he did a wonderful gesture in the circumstances) is only keeping him alive in his ongoing problem. I'd rather help him going back home if that's otherwise feasable for him. :unsmith:

You guys are just... Your kindness is ridiculous. To answer the question:

He's ~2000 miles from home. If it were a matter of just loading on a plane and flying back, that would have been done already. However, dude brought everything he owns out there and it would be a pretty massive hit to morale to just leave it behind.

I have no idea if this is breaking any rules in the thread to keep talking about Matthew, as I had no idea his story would affect you guys so much, but I'm more than happy to answer any PMs. You guys are so amazing.

• Locked thread