Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Can anyone explain why Batista was/is so popular? I don't remember him ever being a particularly good wrestler or overly charismatic, and his terrible belly button tattoo should have gotten him laughed out of every arena he went into, PLUS he was old as hell when he got started. Was it just the HHH/Flair rub from Evolution?

The build to him turning face was handled with great care and executed really well, and during the course of his team with Flair, he got a LOT better, because when he joined the group, he really sucked. Also, his last heel run was terrific, the promo he cut on Cena about Cena kissing fat girls and shaking kids' hands was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

His music also owned, like when he made his return in 2009 the crowd were going apeshit the second his music hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sedX_Z_U230

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I feel like Stone Cold pretty much set him for life really early on during Evolution, when he chased off Orton, Triple H and Flair in short order. Then got to Dave, who just kind of stood there and went "Nope".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Batista was popular because they pushed him for a long time in a top level story and didn't make him lose

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

DeathChicken posted:

I feel like Stone Cold pretty much set him for life really early on during Evolution, when he chased off Orton, Triple H and Flair in short order. Then got to Dave, who just kind of stood there and went "Nope".

Do you have a clip of this?

Also I like Batista because he's fun. Who cares if he was old when he started, he was always fun to watch for me, regardless of him being heel or face.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, his last heel run was terrific, the promo he cut on Cena about Cena kissing fat girls and shaking kids' hands was great.
No, no, no..."Hugging fat girls and kissing babies" XD

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Zack Ryder ‏@ZackRyder 8m
I wasn't feeling the long hair...#selfie http://instagram.com/p/dDL2mFN9TD/

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
That's too bad, because at least the long hair helped to cover how thin his hair is getting.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

sunsweet posted:

That's too bad, because at least the long hair helped to cover how thin his hair is getting.

At least it looks like he's not going to spike his whole head, just the front. Which is good, because his thinning hair was really funny for a guy with a spike your hair catchphrase.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

Bray Wyatt @WWEBrayWyatt Eater of Worlds

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

quote:

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter S. Thompson
@WWEBrayWyatt 7 hours ago Follow @WWEBrayWyatt

You complete me, Mr Wyatt. Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The build to him turning face was handled with great care and executed really well, and during the course of his team with Flair, he got a LOT better, because when he joined the group, he really sucked. Also, his last heel run was terrific, the promo he cut on Cena about Cena kissing fat girls and shaking kids' hands was great.

Batista had the best face turn ever. As far as I know it's still the only turn in wrestling history that got honored with a dinosaur-toy-gif recreation (sorry don't have it on me at the moment). This place was like an Irish wedding when he turned.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The thing I always loved about the Batista face turn was that it wasn't out of the blue; they teased it for awhile and they pulled the trigger at the right time. By the time he turned, people were loving ready to burst.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, the timing was dead-on perfect. I've never seen the appeal of Batista, but they blew the loving roof off with that turn.

(e): Well, I have to commend Batista on using a straight sit-out powerbomb as a finisher. That is to be encouraged.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 16, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like to picture Bray Wyatt's Twitter being updated by Eli Cottonwood, who is now exclusively living in the Wyatt Compound basement, updating social media on a 56k dialup connection using an old AOL FREE 1000 HOURS CD.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tremendous https://twitter.com/CMPunk/status/368500849292500992/photo/1

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can live with that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sweet Christmas!

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, the timing was dead-on perfect. I've never seen the appeal of Batista, but they blew the loving roof off with that turn.

(e): Well, I have to commend Batista on using a straight sit-out powerbomb as a finisher. That is to be encouraged.

It's also important to remember Triple H had been world heavyweight champion for 616 days from September '02 to April '05. I think people were really sick of Trips as the champion.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Cechmanek posted:

It's also important to remember Triple H had been world heavyweight champion for 616 days from September '02 to April '05. I think people were really sick of Trips as the champion.

No he wasn't. He had lost and regained the title numerous times in that span. Batista himself has the longest WHC Reign at 282 days from April '05 to January '06.

You're spot on about people being sick of him as champion though.

e; 616 days is Triple H's days as champion with all of his reigns combined

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 17, 2013

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

He was saying Triple H held the title for 616 days in that span, not that there are 616 days in 2.5 years.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Wade and Drew are at the football. They announced them as Celeb guests. Didn't go well.

quote:

#WadeMcIntyre #DrewBarrett. I think Mike Adamle's announcing at @LAGalaxy tonight...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mick Foley posted:

Backstage @Summerslam with @RealPaigeWWE and let me tell you bother, @TheDamienSandow Mania is running wild. #WhatchaGonnaDoBrother

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Mick Foley reaching for cheap pops will never not be endearing to me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BlueArmyMan posted:

Mick Foley reaching for cheap pops will never not be endearing to me.

He tries so hard for them, and I never see the drat things coming :allears:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Bella Twins ‏@nicoleandbri 11m
Time to go nurse my champ. 💋😔 N #SummerSlam

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

I love this because I 100% picture Sandow doing a full Hogan impression through catering.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I love it because no matter how old Mick Foley gets he's still like a teenage boy going "Hey guys, I'm just sittin here, watchin Summerslam. WITH A GIRL!:smug:"

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Valeyard posted:

The Bella Twins ‏@nicoleandbri 11m
Time to go nurse my champ. 💋😔 N #SummerSlam
Jinxes!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Curt Hawkins posted:

Can @WWEFandango just do that during all of @mikethemiz 's matches? It would save all of us from the guaranteed boredom. #Raw

:iceburn:

(Of course, Curt Hawkins only appears on Raw via the Tweet Scroll, but still.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/arda_ocal/status/369141137195274242/photo/1

Rey bowling with Make A Wish Kids :unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

It is so nice of Rey to let the kid wear his mask.

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you

Rey's shoes are smaller than that kids.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kaskadan posted:

Rey's shoes are smaller than that kids.

So are his knee ligaments.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Joey Styles ‏@JoeyStyles 4h

I predict that the new pairing of @TherealRVD and @RRWWE will reach new heights. There's no telling how high they'll get. #RAW

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Vine is basically twitter.

https://vine.co/v/hOg6FHjr0U2

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

lmao this rules

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Joey Styles ‏@JoeyStyles 4h

I predict that the new pairing of @TherealRVD and @RRWWE will reach new heights. There's no telling how high they'll get. #RAW

It must feel pretty shameful stealing a joke Michael Cole made a month ago.

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010

B+, good click.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This has two of my favorite things, hushed whispers and the words "gosh drat it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's amazing.