Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falken posted:

I think there was even a girl who's ability is literally "can talk to cats", so she's destined to become a crazy cat lady.

What would the Level 5 version of that ability look like? Talk to all the cats in the city / the world, all at once?

EDIT: Man, even if you don't end up being a Level 0 and actually get an ESP ability, it's still a roulette game with really long odds. You may end up with the ability to manipulate vectors, mastery over electromagnetism, or mind control - or you may end up with the power to talk to cats.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JosephWongKS posted:

What would the Level 5 version of that ability look like? Talk to all the cats in the city / the world, all at once?

EDIT: Man, even if you don't end up being a Level 0 and actually get an ESP ability, it's still a roulette game with really long odds. You may end up with the ability to manipulate vectors, mastery over electromagnetism, or mind control - or you may end up with the power to talk to cats.
Don't forget the ability to keep an object you're touching at a constant temperature.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Paracelsus posted:

Don't forget the ability to keep an object you're touching at a constant temperature.

That is quite useful in weather hot or cold, I'd say. Nice cool shirt on a hot day or warm mittens in winter. It's not hurling lightning bolts, but it's probably more handy on a day to day basis.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

veekie posted:

That is quite useful in weather hot or cold, I'd say. Nice cool shirt on a hot day or warm mittens in winter. It's not hurling lightning bolts, but it's probably more handy on a day to day basis.

Someone posted a fanfic earlier where she uses it to overclock her PC to insane levels and keep it cool.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Or this.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/885527?tags=uiharu_kazari+4koma

(strip on the right)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Paracelsus posted:

That power would be insane at higher levels (which would probably mean being able to spread it further or something). It wouldn't be much good for fighting but it's basically localised denial of entropy. Keep a power plant at the same heat without needing to add more fuel and you have an essentially endless supply of perfectly clean energy.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ActionZero posted:

That power would be insane at higher levels (which would probably mean being able to spread it further or something). It wouldn't be much good for fighting but it's basically localised denial of entropy. Keep a power plant at the same heat without needing to add more fuel and you have an essentially endless supply of perfectly clean energy.

Accelerator could do that.

If he could be bothered to.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ActionZero posted:

Even at her low level Uiharu can tell the most fundamental laws of physics to go gently caress themselves.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe at Level 5 she'd have the ability to gently caress with the thermodynamics of the world around her, rather than just things she can touch, and on a far larger scale too. Maybe she can instantly evaporate or freeze an entire lake or something equally ridiculous.

Maybe she becomes a firebender.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Maybe at Level 5 she'd have the ability to gently caress with the thermodynamics of the world around her, rather than just things she can touch, and on a far larger scale too. Maybe she can instantly evaporate or freeze an entire lake or something equally ridiculous.

Mikoto is the Railgun, Uiharu would be the Meltagun

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

The difference between a shattered and a whole cup is their entropy. Living means reversing entropy by using energy to create order. The direction of time is marked by an increase of entropy. So ultimately she could be able to either destroy or repair things, kill or revive or even alter the flow of time. Just depends on how powerful the author wants her to be.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Maybe, but the funny thing about weak powers is that they have a lot of directions to grow in, loosely defined as they are. Is it done through heat, stasis, a barrier or a manipulation of time? Who knows? She doesn't need much more in the way of powers, since her character is based on being very good at computers, but otherwise an earnest, nice, but weak girl.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

Maybe, but the funny thing about weak powers is that they have a lot of directions to grow in, loosely defined as they are.

I still don't think the "talking to cats" girl is going to get too far even if she upgrades her ability to Level 5.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

JosephWongKS posted:

I still don't think the "talking to cats" girl is going to get too far even if she upgrades her ability to Level 5.

We'll see who's laughing when she sics a horde of panthers on you.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

JosephWongKS posted:

It'd be neat if going up levels increased the ways she could communicate with them. Like, sign language, telepathy, pheromones, etc... Maybe at level 5, she could even caterwaul as a sonic attack! Or maybe she'll just learn how to differentiate an Osakan cat dialect from a Tokyo one, who knows.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

JosephWongKS posted:

Unrestricted mental control over lower life forms across a wide range?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Even at her low level Uiharu can tell the most fundamental laws of physics to go gently caress themselves.
Depending on how the powers are supposed to work, I don't think hers are more physics-breaking than anyone else's. If she's drawing the energy used to maintain temperature from an outside source, then she's not violating entropy within a closed system, it's just that the system is larger than it would be otherwise. If the energy for powers is generated ex nihilo, then everyone's powers are just as physics breaking and the actual applications to which that energy is put are mostly footnotes.

Also if her powers worked at a high enough level to be relevant for some sort of perfectly efficient power-generation system but she still had to be in contact with the object for them to work, you can bet Academy City would have her perma-sedated and physically integrated into the machine tout suite. That's not a power lottery you'd want to "win."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Uiharu is the scariest character of all.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Man, Uriharu has no patience for meta jokes.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

veekie posted:

Unrestricted mental control over lower life forms across a wide range?

Imagine what you could do with control over bacteria.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I'm such a sucker for 4th-wall breaking jokes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Cool idea building a space elevator inside a heavily populated city 35o offset from the loving equator.

Yeah I don't think Crowley's banking on this city lasting more than another 30 years or so before he's happy with the gathered research data.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Based on what we know by now, the city probably was never intended to last more than long enough for Crowley's grand experiment to go through.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Cool idea building a space elevator inside a heavily populated city 35o offset from the loving equator.

Yeah I don't think Crowley's banking on this city lasting more than another 30 years or so before he's happy with the gathered research data.
Cool idea building a space elevator in general, Geosync orbit is 35,000km up from the equator, if something went wrong the cable would near enough wrap around the earth once. Also yeah, good luck at managing such an engineering feat that far away from the equator. Isn't the best Japan can do for 'geosync' is stuff like a Quasi-Zenith?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
If necessary they could plonk Accelerator at the base of it to deal with any accidents.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

If necessary they could plonk Accelerator at the base of it to deal with any accidents.

Could they have built the entire thing with Accelerator? During his fight with Touma, there was a scene when he kicked a piece of railway track and it straightened itself in the air (before it broke off into chunks targeted at Touma). Seems like that could be used for construction as well as destruction purposes.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Dark Matter would be more useful there. Accelerator doesn't do ongoing effects. He could make it go up, but not stay up.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Nate RFB posted:

Is this an omake bit from the official manga, or a doujin?

I guess i'm asking for the source of this image.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A bonus chapter between Railgun chapters 56 and 57.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wallrod posted:

Is this an omake bit from the official manga, or a doujin?

I guess i'm asking for the source of this image.

The former.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I admit it, I teared up just a little bit.

I am a sucker for emotional manipulation.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

arisu posted:

I admit it, I teared up just a little bit.

I am a sucker for emotional manipulation.
Really? I thought that scene sucked as much as the rest of the episode.

e: However, those who were concerned about a certain someone might be interested in the reveal post credits.

Falken fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 17, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Kongou Mitsuko equally the butt of every joke in the manga, or is it just the anime? I feel kinda sorry for her - she was also the victim of the eyebrows girl and the earthquake in the anime.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

JosephWongKS posted:

Is Kongou Mitsuko equally the butt of every joke in the manga, or is it just the anime? I feel kinda sorry for her - she was also the victim of the eyebrows girl and the earthquake in the anime.

She doesn't exist at this point in the manga. She's introduced at the start of the next arc as a transfer student. She was actually an anime-only character when the first season aired.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

She doesn't exist at this point in the manga. She's introduced at the start of the next arc as a transfer student. She was actually an anime-only character when the first season aired.

So the anime team introduced her early just so they could make fun of her? That's rather mean.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 17, 2013

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
We are actually caught up to the manga until the the Festival starts.
Between the sisters and the festival there are only single chapter slice of live stories and character introductions.
And Kongo's and Misaki's introduction were pulled ahead in the anime.
The only thing that hasn't happened yet from the manga before the Festival is Kurolo getting injured .
But yeah, in the manga Kongo has an equal mix of awesome scenes and comic relieve scenes. Then the Anime added lots of original scenes with her. And made them all comic relieve.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
Oh god, while I think Banri and Haruee are absolute sweethearts, this episode was such concentrated SoL with so few interesting moments, I almost couldn't soldier through the full episode. I know from experience that things will get crazy and the non-events that dominated this episode will be relevant somehow, but agh I hatehatehate this stuff so much.

I hope Awatsuki and Wannai get a chance to shine and I'm betting they will. I really like those two after MANGAwatching them go up against fatso's robot menagerie.

Also, YESSSS! That post-credits content. Bear in mind, Kihara Gensei is the guy who was orchestrating Level 6 shift and is a heartless piece of poo poo excuse for a human being. ITEM transferred custody of Shinobu to him and Saiai (hooded girl) specifically stated that even if her fate was to be spared for her usefulness to Kihara's assholery, her life going forward was guaranteed to be superterrible. Also, while she did divorce herself from her cold clinical disregard for the lives of the sisters (and people in general as seen when she intentionally aimed away from Saiai's vital organs), I don't believe she's become a champion of ethics and morality overnight. Even if she were, she tried to sabotage the Level 6 Shift program and Kihara's not going to put her in a position in which she could sabotage whatever that group of scientists are plotting.

Other interesting things of note:

- That one guy seemed to have gone out of his way to sow the seeds of doubt in Kongou's mind about using her ability.

- What should have been an easymode Meltdowner shield actually let some shrapnel from that flying I-beam through. Scientist dudes state they are happy with their test results and data collection from that incident. ITEM were obviously led there under false pretenses. While different, Mugino's ability actually functions in a very similar way to Biribiri's in terms of the physics/mechanics/whatever.

- Autistic lollipop kid's first and only words are "Misaka Mikoto". What's up with that? :iiam:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Parpy posted:

- Autistic lollipop kid's first and only words are "Misaka Mikoto". What's up with that? :iiam:

I immediately thought she was Fremea Seivelun who is Fren da's sister. Sleeping with a lollipop in your mouth is a bad idea for many reasons. Maybe that's why she mangled her own name when stating it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was Shinobu at the end, right? Then why was everyone saying she never shows up again in the novels/manga? Is this arc not from either of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Sindai posted:

That was Shinobu at the end, right? Then why was everyone saying she never shows up again in the novels/manga? Is this arc not from either of those?
Pretty sure it was, yeah. She is never heard from again in the manga. Reminder that Banrii and all the other child errors would still be in their comas in the manga too.

• Locked thread