Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maqua
Aug 13, 2013

Hey folks!. I'm new to the forums, and it seems I accidentally posted my intro chicken story into it's own thread instead of here. Sorry about that. The subject line is "Intro and Unintended Chickens" if you're interested. Anyways it's nice to meet you people. I'll post some pictures as soon as I am able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Maqua posted:

Hey folks!. I'm new to the forums, and it seems I accidentally posted my intro chicken story into it's own thread instead of here. Sorry about that. The subject line is "Intro and Unintended Chickens" if you're interested. Anyways it's nice to meet you people. I'll post some pictures as soon as I am able.

hi and welcome! :D

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

Chido posted:

Why is it so hard to find a decent cockerel/rooster? I don't like how the ones I've seen at my local feed store look, they look rather unhealthy. I've browsed the sale/rehoming sections in BYC and see if anybody is selling or needs to relocate a n EE, cochin, or brahma rooster near my home, and no luck. I saw a beautiful dorking rooster there, but it's in texas and I can't afford the shipping fee for a big bird :qq:

Edit: lookit them short legs, it's like dorkings are the corgis of chickens :3:

http://staleyclan.com/Our%20Animals/chickens/images/2004%2011-%2029%20English%20Dorking%20Rooster1.jpg

Chido, I wish you were closer, I have a Gold Laced Brahma roo that needs a home.

Maqua
Aug 13, 2013

Ahh...Here's a picture of our flock waiting to be let out for the day.

[img]P5140044.JPG[/img]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maqua fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 17, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SolanaSkyes, you can always move here! :haw: and Maqua, holy poo poo you do seem to live pretty close to the wilderness. That's awesome :D!

Chido fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 17, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chido posted:

Why is it so hard to find a decent cockerel/rooster? I don't like how the ones I've seen at my local feed store look, they look rather unhealthy. I've browsed the sale/rehoming sections in BYC and see if anybody is selling or needs to relocate a n EE, cochin, or brahma rooster near my home, and no luck. I saw a beautiful dorking rooster there, but it's in texas and I can't afford the shipping fee for a big bird :qq:

Edit: lookit them short legs, it's like dorkings are the corgis of chickens :3:

http://staleyclan.com/Our%20Animals/chickens/images/2004%2011-%2029%20English%20Dorking%20Rooster1.jpg

Where do you live Chido?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

El Monte, CA.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chido posted:

El Monte, CA.

There are a whole bunch of Rooster and young cockerels here in San Antonio. But it's too hot to ship birds right now down here :(

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/grd/4006146303.html

This Rooboy is close to you and needs to be rehomed. I love my RIR.

And he is free!

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 17, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There are a whole bunch of Rooster and young cockerels here in San Antonio. But it's too hot to ship birds right now down here :(

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/grd/4006146303.html

This Rooboy is close to you and needs to be rehomed. I love my RIR.

And he is free!

I forgot to check CL, duh. That rooster is a bit far, but I'll check if there's anything closer, specially in the San Gabriel valley area. Thanks!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chido posted:

I forgot to check CL, duh. That rooster is a bit far, but I'll check if there's anything closer, specially in the San Gabriel valley area. Thanks!

Oh Chido... how do you forget CL? :lol:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Maqua posted:

I read your OP, MUST hear the story of your rooster!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh Chido... how do you forget CL? :lol:

I've never used CL to buy anything before :shobon:

Maqua
Aug 13, 2013

Ok, Here is the tale of Rogelio (Pronunciation: roh-hay-lee-oh) the rooster. Don't ask me why my wife named him that. I don't have a clue except that she says that's the name that came to her. Anyways it was February. Temperatures were running below zero at night. I had already rigged up a temporary shelter under the deck for the chickens that seemed to have adopted us. Although the chickens would roost up in the trees at night, during the day they would huddle in the make-shift shelter an enjoy the minimal comfort provided by the heat lamp. If it was sunny they would venture out a bit and explore.

A friend of ours came to visit and left for home well after dark. She lived about 35 miles away. Early the next morning she called and asked if we were missing a rooster. We checked and noticed Regelio was missing. Apparently he had fallen asleep on the luggage rack of her mini-van. She never noticed him, and he apparently held on for dear life while she drove home (at about 55mph) in the dead of night. It must have been a peculiar sight for any owl that may have been watching the road for a late-night snack.

My wife went to go get him. He seemed quite eager to climb into the carrier, but did not seem to be injured at all. When he got home he just flew up in the tree as if nothing happened. "Well that was quite an adventure you had there. Good thing you didn't latch onto a Greyhound bus," I said. The next morning I went outside with some scratch feed. There was a big clump of feathers in the snow, and no Rogelio. I thought what irony to survive that road trip only to get snatched up by an eagle or a hawk.

Two weeks later my wife and I are headed out the door and we see this dark clump laying against the house. It was Rogelio! He had a large bald patch on his back. His comb, beard, and feet were black from being frostbitten. We managed to find a vet about 40 miles a way that was willing to check him out. There's not many chicken doctors in these parts. She took X-rays, debrided the dead tissue and gave us some cream, bandages and antibiotics to try and nurse him back to health. We kept him in a pet carrier in the kitchen and he mended up just fine. He's the big rooster in the photo I posted. He still walks with a limp and even more so during the winter, but he is definitely a tough old bird. With over $200.00 in vet bills I told him he was far too expensive to eat. My wife elbowed me in the ribs when I said that and gave me "The Look."---Cheers!

Maqua fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 17, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Wow, great story! Rogelio sounds like the perfect roo to protect the girls.

BTW, my Barred Rock roo Jack ended up being an $800 rooster and his son, Phoenix, was the same (vet bills). Vets consider chickens 'exotic animals' much of the time and charge accordingly.

We love our rooboys. :suicide:

VVVV Yes, I fully admit to being a crazy chicken lady, ours are pets although I grew up on a small ranchette where among other things, we raised, slaughtered and dressed for table our own chickens, turkeys, quail & rabbits.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 17, 2013

Maqua
Aug 13, 2013

Wow....$800! You know when I told this story to a large-scale poultry farmer in the area, he laughed so hard he nearly wet himself when I told him about the vet bill. He said he knew exactly what he would have done if it was his rooster...it would have ended up as Sunday dinner. But, you're right about him protecting the gals. They follow him around and pretty much ignore the younger rooster.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

For anyone interested, I started a new Chickam thread here in PI for the weekly broadcast:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565472

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Maqua posted:

Ok, Here is the tale of Rogelio (Pronunciation: roh-hay-lee-oh) the rooster. Don't ask me why my wife named him that. I don't have a clue except that she says that's the name that came to her. Anyways it was February. Temperatures were running below zero at night. I had already rigged up a temporary shelter under the deck for the chickens that seemed to have adopted us. Although the chickens would roost up in the trees at night, during the day they would huddle in the make-shift shelter an enjoy the minimal comfort provided by the heat lamp. If it was sunny they would venture out a bit and explore.

Two weeks later my wife and I are headed out the door and we see this dark clump laying against the house. It was Rogelio! He had a large bald patch on his back. His comb, beard, and feet were black from being frostbitten. We managed to find a vet about 40 miles a way that was willing to check him out. There's not many chicken doctors in these parts. She took X-rays, debrided the dead tissue and gave us some cream, bandages and antibiotics to try and nurse him back to health. We kept him in a pet carrier in the kitchen and he mended up just fine. He's the big rooster in the photo I posted. He still walks with a limp and even more so during the winter, but he is definitely a tough old bird. With over $200.00 in vet bills I told him he was far too expensive to eat. My wife elbowed me in the ribs when I said that and gave me "The Look."---Cheers!

Hey, a pet is a pet! I had to spend over $1100 to have my previous cat's tail removed. We do what we have to for our pets. Thank you for sharing your story! The photos are great! I'm still debating to 'roo' or not to 'roo' when I start my small flock.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Maqua posted:

Ok, Here is the tale of Rogelio...

Great story! Post a close-up glamour shot of Rogelio, please. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Roosters always end up in the kitchen one way or another...either in the pot, begging for goodies or being nursed back to health because they've done something like eaten a poisoned mouse and fallen deathly ill and have to be hand fed every 2 hours for several weeks and medicated and held and petted and wrapped in a towel on a heating pad and sleeplessly worried over because you've gotten hopelessly attached to that huge block of goofy feathers.

...not that I'd know anything about that last bit.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Maqua posted:

Ok, Here is the tale of Rogelio
What an amazing story and an amazing roo!

Thanks for sharing.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

So we have a nearly full bag of scratch that is tainted by some little worms that are spinning silk in there. Is it okay to feed the chickens still? I mean, the worms will just be bonus snacks, right? :haw:

Maqua
Aug 13, 2013

Greycious posted:

So we have a nearly full bag of scratch that is tainted by some little worms that are spinning silk in there. Is it okay to feed the chickens still? I mean, the worms will just be bonus snacks, right? :haw:

Sounds like meal moths or what some call pantry moths. It hasn't bothered our chickens. There's not a whole lot that our rural feed mill can do to eliminate them. Just don't bring the contaminated grain into the house. Those moths are a bugger to get rid of once they get established in your kitchen pantry.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Greycious posted:

Used to happen to my pigeon's feed, little weevils and such. We just stuck the stuff in an outside freezer to kill the bugs and served it to her with dead bugs and all. Extra protein!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Serella posted:

Used to happen to my pigeon's feed, little weevils and such. We just stuck the stuff in an outside freezer to kill the bugs and served it to her with dead bugs and all. Extra protein!

Okay, I figured it probably wouldn't hurt them.

I think the bag might have come like that because it's a pretty new bag, and we keep it on our enclosed porch that isn't usually buggy.

I did think of freezing it but we have a pathetically small and overstuffed freezer, so we'd have to freeze like a single ziploc bag at a time and well, yeah, :rolleyes:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Greycious posted:

Okay, I figured it probably wouldn't hurt them.

I think the bag might have come like that because it's a pretty new bag, and we keep it on our enclosed porch that isn't usually buggy.

I did think of freezing it but we have a pathetically small and overstuffed freezer, so we'd have to freeze like a single ziploc bag at a time and well, yeah, :rolleyes:

Yeah, if you keep the bag outside regularly, I wouldn't even worry about it. We used to keep her seeds inside, though, so we made sure the bugs were all dead before it came in. Also, they were tiny tubs of seeds, maybe no more than a gallon sized jug's worth total at a time, so no real hardship on finding space in the freezer for a day. I imagine the chicken feed bag is significantly larger.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

As long as there is no mold on it feed will usually be fine.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Tim the Enchanter posted:

As long as there is no mold on it feed will usually be fine.

Isn't it a rule that Tim has to post bantam Cochin pics every time he posts? Right, guys?

Give us that sugar, honey.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Isn't it a rule that Tim has to post bantam Cochin pics every time he posts? Right, guys?

YES! Pretty please Tim, pictures of the furry tumbleweeds! Not chicken related but adorable the same. Cheer on the baby ostrich here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ostrich-egg-cam-live

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Well now I want a baby ostrich to cuddle :saddowns:
Unseasonably cold weather plus rain for three days straight is bad for baby guineas, how shocking. It's bad enough that my six and seven month old turkeys are getting sick too. Nobody's died yet, but two came close, to the point they were doing the head thrown back over spine thing. Heat lamps are magical.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Against all odds, our coop is almost complete. We've got all 4 walls up, we've tarpapered the roof (eventually we'll put roll shingles up there, but the tarpaper is fine for a while), and now we just need to put in the (people) door and facing walls.

I think I'm going to just let the girls use the people door for a while, until I can scrape up enough cash for an automated solar-powered door. Also need to see if a 12V marine deep-cycle battery has enough juice to power a heat lamp for in the winter, in case we need it.

Now we've just got to build the nesting boxes and put up roosts.

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.

piscesbobbie posted:

YES! Pretty please Tim, pictures of the furry tumbleweeds! Not chicken related but adorable the same. Cheer on the baby ostrich here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ostrich-egg-cam-live

I came here to post that too, such a curious little cutie! I want an ostrich baby :3:

My bantam cochin pullet almost has all her feathers now so I'll post some pics as soon as it cools off enough to get out there. She's the tiniest fluffy thing.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

We got a 5-6 month old RIR cockerel. It looks very healthy and it was dropped at the feed store by somebody who had it as a pet, so he seems pretty tame. I'll post pictures later. My brother in law named him Tabasco :3:

Edit: I've been reading about the breed and I've found comments saying how RIR roosters tend to be "meaner" than other breeds. I've already told my nieces that we need to give Tabasco the same treatment we gave Roostroyer, which involves lots of dressing up and cuddling in front of the henhoes, specially pushing his head down gently and not putting him down until he stops fussing. I did warn them to make sure they don't hold him close to their faces to avoid any possible eye injuries. Hopefully he'll remain a sweet guy and won't give us trouble.

Edit 2: so here's Tabasco

Megatron already kicked his rear end :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkV-rt_oxsw

Chido fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 21, 2013

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

We got a 5-6 month old RIR cockerel. It looks very healthy and it was dropped at the feed store by somebody who had it as a pet, so he seems pretty tame. I'll post pictures later. My brother in law named him Tabasco :3:

Edit: I've been reading about the breed and I've found comments saying how RIR roosters tend to be "meaner" than other breeds. I've already told my nieces that we need to give Tabasco the same treatment we gave Roostroyer, which involves lots of dressing up and cuddling in front of the henhoes, specially pushing his head down gently and not putting him down until he stops fussing. I did warn them to make sure they don't hold him close to their faces to avoid any possible eye injuries. Hopefully he'll remain a sweet guy and won't give us trouble.

awww Chido! Tobasco! He does look the color of his namesake! Be sure to keep us posted! I'm looking forward to Build A Bear fashion shows! :D

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chido posted:

Ahahhahahahhah he is so pretty. My RIR hen is named Strawberry. She is the second sweetest and easily the dumbest hen we have. The sweetest hen we have is our Australorp Sunshine.

I'm so glad you got a new rooboy!

Also Tobasco is freakin perfect. I might steal that name.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I've been reading more comments about RIRs roosters, and a lot of them say some of their meanest roosters have been RIR. Looking at Tabasco, though, at 5 months of age he isn't very assertive yet, and he kept following me and my brother in law around the yard. He was very easy to catch too and didn't try to jump out of our hands. Whoever had him before tamed him well, I hope he stays like that when he hits puberty.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I've been reading more comments about RIRs roosters, and a lot of them say some of their meanest roosters have been RIR. Looking at Tabasco, though, at 5 months of age he isn't very assertive yet, and he kept following me and my brother in law around the yard. He was very easy to catch too and didn't try to jump out of our hands. Whoever had him before tamed him well, I hope he stays like that when he hits puberty.

I just hope that Tabasco likes Hello Kitty dresses and Build-A-Bear outfits! :3:

He's a little cutie! It's great that he's very tame already. Just keep spoiling and petting him so that he stays sweet!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Chido posted:

He ends up getting kicked around by the hens all day, every day, Whipping Roo.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I keep meaning to then by the time I get unbusy it's dark and ive forgotten, I remembered AS it was getting dark today to take pictures of some of this years pullets after I herded them inside for the night.

One of this years cockerels after it got dark so picture came out even worse than the rest.

The pullets mulling about in their pen in the barn for the night.

Wallowing before roost time. There are a couple of cockerels in there with them.

Ill try to remember to take some better pictures in the next couple of days.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Yay! Thank you! :neckbeard:

Hee hee hee hee hee....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cmByQvh7DU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We put the Littlies (they're nearly grown, but not laying yet) in with the Harsh Bitches last night. The Harsh Bitches lived up to their name, and pulled a lot of feathers out of my poor Martha. Any suggestions on how to get these babies integrated better? They've been in the same pen sharing the same space for a month now, but two of the HBs chase them occasionally and try to pull out feathers.