Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stuff is on its way, it's just been a very busy time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

It will be the only episode that was ever dubbed 100% of the way through. Arino will have a deep, gruff voice as he praises the glorious motherland of North Korea, and informs all videogamers of the world that they will soon submit to North Korean dominance.

Next episode, Arino is a bearded, bald man who sucks ever worse at video games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

Progression/unlocking is really no different than RGC1 either. Once you get over the hump of the Meitantei game (and the second one is optional), you can enjoy the rest of the games just fine.

It's not a second Meitantai game, it's the second half of the game like Famicom Detective Club which it's partially mimicking.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

It's not a second Meitantai game, it's the second half of the game like Famicom Detective Club which it's partially mimicking.

You know what I meant. It's presented as a second disk nonetheless.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're in the middle of pre-production for the first series of Michael Cera's Retro Game Master USA.
Was this a reference that just flew over my head, because I got super excited and tried googleling this to no avail.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

rdbbb posted:

You know what I meant. It's presented as a second disk nonetheless.

It's also pretty not-optional if you want the good ending. You need to beat all of the games and Meitantei is basically the only one without some kind of way to bullshit that requirement like being able to warp straight to the last level. It too, nonetheless has a guide so this is a non-issue, but it's still non-optional if you actually want to finish the game properly.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Snix posted:

Was this a reference that just flew over my head, because I got super excited and tried googleling this to no avail.
Just a joke.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Snix posted:

Oops. Nah, it's not a thing. Give it a few months, maybe Guy Fieri will be off contract soon...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Oops. Nah, it's not a thing. Give it a few months, maybe Guy Fieri will be off contract soon...
I was thinking it was a reference to Michael Cera being in Scott Pilgrim vs the World, especially since Arino and Edgar Wright provided commentary on the Japanese DVD/Blu-Ray.

Speaking of DVDs, I decided to rip the Retro Game Master DVD set on to my hard drive (I'm keeping the DVDs since it's my favorite set of DVDs, it's just for convenience sake :)). I'm just wondering for those who have done it, did you put all the episodes on the DVDs into their own unique folder, or did you put them in with their respective seasons (SOS in the season six folder for example)?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's also pretty not-optional if you want the good ending. You need to beat all of the games and Meitantei is basically the only one without some kind of way to bullshit that requirement like being able to warp straight to the last level. It too, nonetheless has a guide so this is a non-issue, but it's still non-optional if you actually want to finish the game properly.

Yes. I was just explaining it for someone who wondered if they could enjoy (most) of the product without knowing Japanese.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Obeast posted:

I'm just wondering for those who have done it, did you put all the episodes on the DVDs into their own unique folder, or did you put them in with their respective seasons (SOS in the season six folder for example)?

I keep them separate, but I also didn't rip the episodes off the disc. I just have the disc backups in case the physical discs get damaged. I feel it's a better solution because it's lossless, can be easily burned back to a disc, but also convenient because most players can just play folders as if they were a DVD with menus intact and everything.

As for the downloaded episodes, I'm pretty anal about keeping them sorted.

Ones with "_" at the begining of the name are unwatched. I just do that so I can easily do

code:
ls | grep _ 
and get a list of unwatched episodes.

If anyone reads this thread and still hasn't purchased the DVD yet, definitely do it if you can afford to. It's totally worth the asking price.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I think Id be pretty ok with Michael Cera Game Center USA. Also Robin Williams.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brian Blessed's Retro Gamer Centre UK, please and thank you very much.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Xik posted:

I keep them separate, but I also didn't rip the episodes off the disc. I just have the disc backups in case the physical discs get damaged. I feel it's a better solution because it's lossless, can be easily burned back to a disc, but also convenient because most players can just play folders as if they were a DVD with menus intact and everything.

As for the downloaded episodes, I'm pretty anal about keeping them sorted.

Ones with "_" at the begining of the name are unwatched. I just do that so I can easily do

code:
ls | grep _ 
and get a list of unwatched episodes.
That's actually not a bad idea about backing up the discs as a whole. I don't watch them very often, but it would be nice to have perfect backups just in case.

Also, don't feel bad about being anal about how the episodes. I think I'm just as bad. :)

(The mp4 files are the episodes I'm ripping/testing to make sure I have the subtitles and audio set to the correct tracks)

I've used this method for sorting other shows and it works great, especially when you stream them to a TV via Xbox 360, PS3, or any other computer-to-TV streaming method.

Xik posted:

If anyone reads this thread and still hasn't purchased the DVD yet, definitely do it if you can afford to. It's totally worth the asking price.
This a billion times over. I got it as an early birthday gift and I definitely think it's worth the price and more just for the chance of more official GCCX stuff to get released outside of Japan. :)

Gutcruncher posted:

I think Id be pretty ok with Michael Cera Game Center USA. Also Robin Williams.
I would absolutely kill for Robin Williams to do a US/english version of GCCX. It's pretty common knowledge by know gaming nerd, so he'd be perfect.

VVV As a fan of Ashens, I think that would also be amazing to watch.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 18, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Stewart Ashens Game Center UK. Such an odd adaptation since he only challenges strange chinese knockoffs and refuses to show his face. On the plus side they wont need to pay a camera man!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Of Blue Shadow / Shadow of the ninja / Kage for a second: I remember playing it as a kid, since one of my friends had it. But really, at least out here in northern Europe Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden) was _the_ Ninja game everyone knew. I recently checked out Blue Shadow with an emulator and instantly thought "Why is this so familiar?" Then I checked my game shelf and picked out two other Natsume games : Power Blade and Shatterhand. The models for the characters look very much alike. Natsume had a really impressive list of titles for the NES, including those mentioned and few other good ones like Jetsons and unfortunately named S.C.A.T. For the SNES, they released classics like Pocky & Rocky, Wild Guns and Lufia II - but I guess even though all of those were great games, they never got the superhit status in the west.

And like Sunsoft, all their titles (at least the ones I played) had some kickass music. It's a shame they aren't more known developer.

The game kicked my rear end though, and even though I'm more or less an average gamer, I'd expect Arino to have trouble with it.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 18, 2013

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, Natsume's NES stuff is pretty good, but their games aren't as well known now because they do a lot of contract work. And Natsume US sticks as a publisher of anything but Natsume games, basically.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 18, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder what happened to all the people that made Shadow of the Ninja, Shatterhand, etc... it seems like they didn't hang around at Natsume for very long after the Harvest Moon ball started rolling.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Aurain posted:

Brian Blessed's Retro Gamer Centre UK, please and thank you very much.

I was kinda thinking this guy. Or Simon Pegg.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Stewart Ashens Game Center UK. Such an odd adaptation since he only challenges strange chinese knockoffs and refuses to show his face. On the plus side they wont need to pay a camera man!

His obscure C64/Spectrum game reviews are pretty brilliant. And he does occasionally show his face. I agree that he'd be a great choice for a western version GCCX, though - he's quiet and understated enough for it to work.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Gutcruncher posted:

Who's going to film the sofa if there's no camera man?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

I recently checked out Blue Shadow with an emulator and instantly thought "Why is this so familiar?" Then I checked my game shelf and picked out two other Natsume games : Power Blade and Shatterhand.

Blue Shadow, Power Blade and Shatterhand are the holy trio of "Natsume NES games you probably didn't play, but definitely should've". All three are criminally underrated classics.

(You... you're from Norway, right? Considering the avatar)

Adamant fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 19, 2013

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obeast posted:

I would absolutely kill for Robin Williams to do a US/english version of GCCX. It's pretty common knowledge by know gaming nerd, so he'd be perfect.

He's doing a new tv show, maybe someone should run the idea by him.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I wouldnt be all that surprised if Robin Williams is already a fan and would jump at the chance to do an American version.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Adamant posted:

Blue Shadow, Power Blade and Shatterhand are the holy trio of "Natsume NES games you probably didn't play, but definitely should've". All three are criminally underrated classics.

(You... you're from Norway, right? Considering the avatar)

Nope, but close - I'm from Finland. I guess Tex was popular in Norway too, then.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

Nope, but close - I'm from Finland. I guess Tex was popular in Norway too, then.

Very popular. He's the only comic book hero here besides Donald Duck to have had four simultaneously running newsstand comic book lines, and his main book "Tex Willer" is our longest running non-comedy comic book publication, having been published non-stop since 1971.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I was just watching something that used a music sample from a game but I can't remember which game. I do however remember that it's the one in the singing segment where the user-submitted lyrics were about puppies and baby chicks and a debate over which was cuter. I don't specifically need to know which episode this was in, but if anyone can tell me what song was used in that that would be pretty great!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The background tune from Spelunker. :3:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
What ^ said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC-dlAnURBY

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Thanks you guys! That was driving me crazy all day.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I finished watching Mendel's Palace... about the plot of the game, I know "damsel in distress" stories aren't exactly uncommon but The kidnapper is the main character's SISTER, who is the titular character of the game in the JP version? What the heck is up with that? It's like naming The Legend of Zelda as "Ganondorf"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Davzz posted:

I finished watching Mendel's Palace... about the plot of the game, I know "damsel in distress" stories aren't exactly uncommon but The kidnapper is the main character's SISTER, who is the titular character of the game in the JP version? What the heck is up with that? It's like naming The Legend of Zelda as "Ganondorf"

It's not really that odd. Take a look at the original Metroid. Hell, take a look at Metroid Prime even.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Davzz posted:

Or naming Donkey Kong "Donkey Kong".

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
It wasn't really the naming of the game that I was focusing on. I just found it odd that it's a damsel in distress story where the kidnapper is... an unusual choice in terms of relation to player character.

Kirall
May 5, 2008
VR-GCCX just released Ikki! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GCCX#announcements/detail/2199168227399641214

Direct Download: http://depositfiles.org/files/y63f60wkp
Streaming: {Not available yet}
Released by VR-GCCX

A 'lovely game' so infamously terrible that it received a faithful modern recreation on PS3, Ikki's one (or three)-man rebellion commences! However, this is a game that loops endlessly after the fourth stage; what could the "Clear" condition for this challenge possibly be?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GCCX/discussions/0/882958538874060739/

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Kirall posted:

VR-GCCX just released Ikki! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GCCX#announcements/detail/2199168227399641214

Released by VR-GCCX

A 'lovely game' so infamously terrible that it received a faithful modern recreation on PS3, Ikki's one (or three)-man rebellion commences! However, this is a game that loops endlessly after the fourth stage; what could the "Clear" condition for this challenge possibly be?

Thank you guys for this! I can't wait to watch it later tonight, especially since it's a new episode (or DVD challenge in this case) for me. :)

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Kirall posted:

Released by VR-GCCX

edit: new torrent

Download torrent81 (1 file; 379.38 MB)
View torrent stats

Grawl fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 21, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Grawl posted:

I took the liberty of uploading it to Alluvion.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 379.38 MB)
View torrent stats

I don't have the permission to download that file.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Aurain posted:

I don't have the permission to download that file.

Im having trouble with it to, I've been putting numbers in my profile per the instructions and it still doesn't think I'm an SA member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks to VR for releasing Ikki.

That was a pretty fun challenge due to all of the staff interaction. Toujima, Sasano and Urakawa all appear to tell rumors about each other to Arino. I love the part where Arino tries to steal Toujima's phone.

I can't obviously say much about the quality of the translation, but it seems okay to me. A couple of instances where the sentences are quite long, maybe could work better if you divide the translation into two separate screens? Another thing that bugged me was translating the little sounds Arino makes like "Waugh" and "Aaaaaggh". But it's really just nitpicking, I'm glad the VR group is going through trouble of translating some GCCX for all to enjoy. And if I'm not mistaken, their next project will be Karnov?