Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Woot, finished my 640-822, and my first "real" IT cert. Will take 640-816 or whatever ICND2 is as soon as I have $150, because my finances are a joke. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Gap In The Tooth posted:

You shouldn't be staying at CCENT level long enough for that to become an issue.

I agree with that but my employer is paying for certifications. Granted it's not my field (Production Support) but it's certainly related and wouldn't look bad on my resume.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

wrl posted:

As a full-time SysAdmin regularly working on Server 03/08 I'm planning on filling in the gaps to complete my MCSA for Server 2012 having no previous MCSA. I have the resources to get all the hands on experience I need through work, so I was hoping to just buy the right book(s) and read the right site(s). Going towards the 410 as someone who hasn't done any real studying in a number of years, what did those in a similar spot find successful for them?

If you're really that familiar as a sysadmin, just read the exam topics and make sure you're familiar with all the details listed and especially powershell and the new tools/features (the 90days2mcsa videos can be nice if you've never taken an MS exam before). For self-study, figuring out how to lab with Storage Spaces can be a bit of a challenge just because of the number of parts you have to carve out, and the same for doing hyper-v migrations. An Azure trial could be immensely helpful here (unless your corp proxy manager says "we don't need to open Azure firewall rules; just connect to the open guest wifi across the street :downs:").

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tab8715 posted:

Do you have to get re-certified on your CCENT?

Yeah, 3 years

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Hoe feasible is it to get an entry-level networking tech job with the intention of obtaining certifications for CCENT/CCNA for someone who has 2 years of help desk experience? I'm under the impression that the entire point of those certs is to get that job position, but I figured I'd ask. :downs:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

Hoe feasible is it to get an entry-level networking tech job with the intention of obtaining certifications for CCENT/CCNA for someone who has 2 years of help desk experience? I'm under the impression that the entire point of those certs is to get that job position, but I figured I'd ask. :downs:

To jump straight into a networking role from helpdesk you're basically going to either have to know somebody or be super lucky. You can definitely get into one without certs and without knowing someone, but it'll take you a bit longer.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Charles Martel posted:

You can do like I did and work for a regional CLEC/MSP and come up from helpdesk into network engineering. Or try, at least... I was one who progressed into higher positions while a whole poo poo ton of folks either stayed in helpdesk or washed out of the IT business entirely.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

psydude posted:

To jump straight into a networking role from helpdesk you're basically going to either have to know somebody or be super lucky. You can definitely get into one without certs and without knowing someone, but it'll take you a bit longer.

This. When I was at a midsize ISP the only guy promoted to junior network engineer off the helpdesk was both a) actively working on his CCNA and had let management know and b) literally the only support tech who knew his rear end from his elbow so was already on their radar. You're not going to submit your resume with no certs or experience for a networking gig and get a call back. But if you buddy up to the team at your existing company, soak up knowledge from them and demonstrate your value, you might get promoted internally.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I thought as much. Thanks for the help as always, guys. :)

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I agree with that but my employer is paying for certifications. Granted it's not my field (Production Support) but it's certainly related and wouldn't look bad on my resume.

If they are paying for certs, and you have a choice, get a CCENT. If no choice then go for it.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I'm taking classes through a community college and am almost confident enough to take the test for CompTIA. I asked my professor what I should go for next, and he said most people do CCNA. If I start working on this tomorrow, is it even feasible to finish before Cisco changes everything? I have a full time (and then some) job and hardly have time to study outside of class.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Cowboy Bobs Hep C posted:

I'm taking classes through a community college and am almost confident enough to take the test for CompTIA. I asked my professor what I should go for next, and he said most people do CCNA. If I start working on this tomorrow, is it even feasible to finish before Cisco changes everything? I have a full time (and then some) job and hardly have time to study outside of class.

I started studying for the ICND1 at the beginning of July, and I'm finally taking ICND2 this week - but I'm unemployed, chilling in my parents basement. It might be unfeasible if you're really busy.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
Just passed the 70-412 and now I am a full MCSA. Woop Woop!

Anyone starting an MCSE path? I am split between Private Cloud and Messaging but it doesn't look like there is much training out there for either.

Chivas Aribas! fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 16, 2013

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Just passed the 70-412 and now I am a full MCSA. Woop Woop!

Anyone starting an MCSE path? I am split between Private Cloud and Messaging but it doesn't look like there is much training out there for either.

I took the old tests for MCSE:PC, if you use the System Center stack on a regular basis you should be OK, if not be prepared to set it all up in labs for training.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Cowboy Bobs Hep C posted:

In my opinion, there is no point in rushing to take the old CCNA. The new syllabus adds quite a few topic domains that enhance the value of studying for the new exams. Anything you've read about the new CCNA being infinitely more difficult than the old CCNA is completely false. Sure, there are more topics on the new CCNA, but most of the topics are useful and/or mandatory for getting by as an entry-level network admin. If you think you're going to cram a CCNA into 6 weeks, go into a technical interview for an entry-level position and be greeted by "what does a /25 mean?" then you are mistaken. You're doing yourself a disservice because when all is said and done the piece of paper means nothing, the knowledge that the paper represents is the important and marketable entity.

That said, it depends on the person. If you know all of the material well, you can get a CCNA as quick as you can schedule a test. If you know nothing, it's not realistic to expect to go from TCP/IP layers to OSPFv3 troubleshooting in 6 weeks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Passed ROUTE today. So. Much. Redistribution.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Nice congrats dude!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thanks! The key is to make sure you drink plenty of beer (at least 3 liters) the night before.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

psydude posted:

Passed ROUTE today. So. Much. Redistribution.

Very much grats to you. Now drink twice as much as last night in celebration

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Congrats duder!

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Congrats, Psydude!

Cowboy Bobs Hep C: it depends entirely on how much time you commit to it. I went from "I'm pretty sure I know what subnets are, and what they're for, and I also know the OSI layers (but not what order they go in)" to passing ICND1 and scheduling ICND2 all in about a 5 week period, but for two of those weeks I was in class for those tests all day, and I don't have kids or any of that to take up my time. Basically, you could bang it out in a few weeks, or it could take six months - neither one would be abnormal, I don't think.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Protokoll posted:

quick as you can schedule a test.

This is actually a subtle but important part of any Cisco test (no idea on other vendors). I live in the greater Seattle area and if you've never scheduled a test you're in for a surprise on how long you might have to wait. I've had guys prep and get ready for a test and then go to schedule and find the earliest test slot is 3 weeks out.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Fatal posted:

This is actually a subtle but important part of any Cisco test (no idea on other vendors). I live in the greater Seattle area and if you've never scheduled a test you're in for a surprise on how long you might have to wait. I've had guys prep and get ready for a test and then go to schedule and find the earliest test slot is 3 weeks out.

That definitely varies by area, or maybe it's just for the higher level tests. I scheduled 640-822 the day before I took it, and there were plenty of slots open for the early afternoon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crossposting this to the Virtualization thread since I've forgotten where most of us are, but if you're taking the Stanly CC VCP-DCV course make sure that you log into the system today or tomorrow per the email you should have received or you'll risk being dropped from the course.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Oh man, I have 70-642 scheduled for Thursday morning.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have the 640-816 tomorrow, and I'm more nervous for it than I was for the 822. :ohdear:

I think I'll be fine, it's just remember all the drat little nuances of OSPF, EIGRP, Frame Relay, and STP/RSTP.

edit-- Is the CCNP stuff changing as well in a couple months, or is that just the CCNA?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 19, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cruising through the SWITCH book right now. I may actually schedule it in 2 weeks for shits and giggles, because most of this stuff is pretty familiar to me.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

e: wrong thread.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 10, 2013

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

psydude posted:

Cruising through the SWITCH book right now. I may actually schedule it in 2 weeks for shits and giggles, because most of this stuff is pretty familiar to me.

FWIW, I thought SWITCH was much easier than ROUTE, but the questions on the test are not at all clear. Make sure you read each word to understand exactly what they're asking. Also, know the non-core stuff well -- particularly the security stuff that is all but 10 pages in the OCG.

Edit: I just finished drafting my study plan for the R&S Written. It's a cool 9,000 pages of material. I'm giving myself 6 months. Should be an interesting journey.

Protokoll fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 20, 2013

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Protokoll posted:

Edit: I just finished drafting my study plan for the R&S Written. It's a cool 9,000 pages of material. I'm giving myself 6 months. Should be an interesting journey.

The last time I looked at my reading list it was way more than 9,000 pages.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
I'm basing my list on INE's recommended reading list and I added additional MPLS and QoS books. Are you reading all 20 'books' on Cisco's book list?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think he's just making a comment on how much we all always have on our list.

Hell I'm pushing a good 20k pages in SQL books I want to read.

But yes, actually reading it, that's the key.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Fatal posted:

Mine was 6 weeks for the CCENT :-|

(Vancouver Island)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Protokoll posted:

FWIW, I thought SWITCH was much easier than ROUTE, but the questions on the test are not at all clear. Make sure you read each word to understand exactly what they're asking. Also, know the non-core stuff well -- particularly the security stuff that is all but 10 pages in the OCG.

The reviews of the OCG are terrible, so I went with SWITCH Simplified instead ($5 for the Kindle version). Liking the writing style a lot better than Odom right now, and it looks like it includes a lot of good, general knowledge that goes beyond the SWITCH syllabus.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Protokoll posted:

I'm basing my list on INE's recommended reading list and I added additional MPLS and QoS books. Are you reading all 20 'books' on Cisco's book list?

If by reading, you mean collecting and observing their nocturnal breading habits, then sure. I am actually reading the latest Cisco Press NP books before I go back to IE, lots of stuff I have forgotten over the years. Between Safari and some stuff I already had, I pretty much can stay occupied for some time. It's always easier to talk to others before you pull the trigger.

Alctel posted:

Mine was 6 weeks for the CCENT :-|

(Vancouver Island)

I use to have to go on vacation and leave Iraq to get access to a testing center, then the base got a testing center, and I ended up with way to many certs.

e. One day I will learn to read my own posts before I post.

Tasty Wheat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 20, 2013

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Taking the 70-680 tomorrow. I read Poulton's book cover to cover, making notes of almost everything (I learn best writing things down), I have about 20 hours of lab time in, I've watched the Professor Messer videos, and I've been doing pretty well on the Kaplan selftest exams. I still feel like I don't have a clue about anything, it's just information overload.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Let us know how that goes, I have that test sometime around March of next year according to my schedule.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I started studying/cramming for the 640-816 ICND2 on Sunday and just walked out of it with a 960. :stare: :smug: :stare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

QPZIL posted:

I started studying/cramming for the 640-816 ICND2 on Sunday and just walked out of it with a 960. :stare: :smug: :stare:

Nice, dude! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

My ICND2 is tomorrow. Any last minute studying tips?