Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

GOONZ is pretty depressed about Kamina, none more than Simon.

They're moping around the hangar where the Dai-Gan-Zan is being renovated, and Leeron shoos them out of the way. They're all sad, but there's work to be done, and the world won't stop for them. Simon, however, is shut away in his room, and no one wants to go near. It's probably better to just let him grieve in peace - Kappei says that sometimes, all you can do is grieve. "But you can't do that forever. I'm sure Simon will figure that out eventually..."

Kappei is, like, twelve. What the hell has he been through? (That would be Zambot 3, by the way).

But for the rest of us, as Leeron said, there's a lot to do. Ryoma rallies everyone present to lend a hand with the ship.

Celestial Being is also grieving. "He's not the one who deserved to die," mutters Lockon darkly, and Shinn and Kira (who are hanging out with their fellow Gundams, I guess) ask if he means himself. "If anyone deserved to be punished for anything," he answers, "it's us, not him."

Suzaku, who is also chilling with terrorists, asks if that means Lockon regrets joining Celestial Being. Lockon absolutely doesn't, and hasn't since he joined, but even so, he's certain that when it's all over, they'll have to pay for what they've done. But not before.

"Just don't die before then, Lockon," says Kira. "If that's how you want to clear your conscience, we won't stop you. But don't forget that there are people who will be sad when you die."

The other Meisters feel the same way, that they're putting their lives and futures down for a good cause. It's a good enough answer for Suzaku,

and for Zero, who wonders when he'll have to accept his own judgment. Like Lockon, he refuses to let it happen before he gets what he wants...

Kamina's death has Feldt thinking about her parents, former Gundam Meisters killed in action, and she hopes it won't happen again. Lockon assures her that even if that ever happened, she'd survive.

She begs him not to die, so he tells her his real name: Neil Dylandy. It's a secret from even the other Meisters, and he's only telling her as something to promise on that he won't die until their job is complete.

In the belly of the Ptolemaios, Team D is reflecting on Kamina - how he makes you want to live the way he did. Johnny has something else on his mind. Kamina was taken from them, and any of them could be next. In fact, the nature of Dancouga is such that they're likely to all die together, if at all. Their lives are bound together, and that's a hard bond to break. Since they're such a hosed-up team, he would like them to share some thoughts, just between them, and break down the walls a little.

Okay, first question from Aoi: all that time ago, when each of them chose to fight on Dancouga Nova, why did Johnny? "I had several reasons, but possibly, the main one was I liked both the girls on my team." Goodness. He sticks to that one, too, and his next question is for Sakuya: why be a bum, and why a pilot?

Sakuya said he wanted to "feel like he was alive," which strikes the team as a weird reason to be homeless. He describes the simple life on the street, foraging for food and sleeping in his box, like a creature of the urban jungle - "It kinda makes you feel at one with the world."

And moving to Dancouga? Well, the bum's life was nice, but it somehow wasn't enough. And when he boarded Dancouga, he felt like he was being called. "Like the world said 'what, you think you can do it?' So I joined Dancouga to tell it, 'yeah, I'll do it.'"

That's pretty much how Aoi felt about it too. Modeling was neat, racing was fun, but piloting was the first thing that really made her feel... "Like it would light a fire in me, take me to new heights. Like I could put my life on it with no fear..."

Wow, Aoi. Anyway, that just leaves Kurara, who passes. No fair! She dares the team to live, all together, if they want her to tell them.

Sumeragi is glad to see them getting along. It'd be nice if the Meisters were even as good as they were, but they still have a very long way to go themselves. Ru from Dragon's Hive has observed that they're maintaining their walls, and while she's not going to make them break them down, they know why they should.

But for now, we have a party to get to. It's going to be really awkward in this state, but the host is the unknown commander of the Dragon's Hive. They can't pass up a chance to see him in person.

Finally, the reminder of their own mortality is a reminder for the Gekko crew to do whatever it is they're trying to do. "We're doing this, 350Z," says Talho. 350Z is a name Holland hasn't heard for a very long time, and not one he likes to be reminded of, but it is a reminder of who took away his name and his future, and what they'll do to take it back. "Get in touch with him. All we have to do is time this right."

It's party time, you guys! Simon is still away, and the engineering crew is still hard at work. Frankly, GOONZ doesn't particularly want to be here either. Harry, though he's as sad as anyone else, admonishes them not to "drown in their grief," a turn of phrase he picked up from his lady Diana.

The S. M. S. crew wonder what the party is for. Luca says it's a release party for the Igor Group publisher's new thing. At least that's a clue to the Hive commander's identity: he must be associated with the company.

Alto is really not in the mood for this, and tries to leave when Sheryl and Ranka stop him. They're having a concert, and they wouldn't want him to miss it. "Nice to see you too," smirks Sheryl; Alto says he's not feeling well and leaves.

It's only after he's gone that the others tell Sheryl and Ranka about Kamina. Sheryl remembers Kamina from that one time he crashed her concert, and Ozma has to assure a panicking Ranka that he won't die too (since he's also Katsuyuki Konishi). He promises himself, too, that he'll always, always come back to Ranka. But the S. M. S. team also excuses themselves from the party. It really, really wasn't the time.

Sheryl and Ranka are joined by another musician named Eida Rossa, who Ranka recognizes from the commercial for that one fighting game. Sheryl quickly puts on her brave face, since the show must go on, and quickly tells Ranka to do the same.

Eida's been looking into them - both of them, to Ranka's surprise, since Eida is a massive name in music and shouldn't be interested in little old her. Eida gives Ranka her best sunny smile and hopes they can be friends. Sheryl sees right through her game, but no hard feelings. Anyway, Eida has to be off, since she's the first act.

Ranka has some high standards to perform to - she's against both Sheryl and Eida, and on top of that it's her first real concert. Plus, she wants her song to help Simon.

In her reverie, Ranka bumps into this handsome gentleman, who claims to be a fan of hers.

And he says his companion is a fan of them both. "Such music," he mutters. "Carrying between the dimensions, reaching the souls of all..."

These women are also Sheryl fans. They're all pretty excited for the concert.

A strong voice, and a kind voice... they'll sing beautifully.
...should we show ourselves to ZEUTH?
I used to sing songs of battle. I want to... I have to find the songs I really want to sing again.
I would also like to avoid it for now. I wish to forget my position and learn about this world from this perspective.
Let us go together. My fellow in this world will aid us.
Fog Sweeper... clearer of mists...
We will fight by his side to clear the dark fog settling over the universe.

In case you were wondering what these people were up to.

By the way, that guy turns out to be this guy! He's still going by just F. S. and he's invited Team D to speak with him personally. He claims that the other Dancouga is a VBM being deployed by their rivals, and they must defeat it for Nova to be a real Dancouga (tm).

Speaking of being a real Dancouga, what about Final? Toshiya and Marin did indicate that it was in cahoots with the Dragon's Hive. F. S. just says that it's another part of his plan. Oh yeah, the plan to prolong wars by equalizing the losing side? And what was this about the oncoming threat? F. S. says he can't explain just yet.

So what did he even bring them for? F. S. says they're not quite like any previous Dancouga team, and he's taken an interest in them. And he needs to inform them that Dancouga can be, and must be, infinitely powerful.

What's all this "Dancouga must be," anyway? And why are there two machines with the name of Dancouga? F. S. says that's an excellent question. "Dancouga was a warrior who has transcended both man and beast and gained the power of God," and his battle cry was "Let's go wild!" Heresy, whatever, but I've never, ever heard a good translation for this, and it's thematic, and for gently caress's sake, the thing's characteristic power literally means "go wild."

Anyway that's all F. S. had to say. He'll be watching them very closely, and with high expectations, for the battles to come, and the final battle with the great oncoming threat. He dismisses Team D.

Then he turns to WILL and says he has hopes for them to ascend to the level of a true Dancouga, enough to overcome "your little surprise, the R-Daigun." WILL returns that it's a bad habit of "you humans" to measure everything so. F. S. only muses that that's the only reason humanity has survived this long...

Setsuna's just run into Saji, Louise, and Relena. He cagily says he's here on "work" (investigating the commander of Dragon's Hive). Relena asks him if he's a classmate of Saji's, which tells him she's still keeping their encounter in Azadistan secret. But then Louise drags Saji away to talk to her parents, and Relena heads off to mingle, all three cheery.

Your acquaintances from your recon mission in Area 11?
Relena Dorian is here as well.
...she and I are from different worlds. We'll probably never meet again.
Really.
...were you not afraid when you used your self destruct?
You've become afraid of dying with your mission unfulfilled.

The party continues. Johnny's mind is filled with questions about F. S. and Dancouga, but Eida really wants to talk to him, too. They crossed paths about a year ago when she was trying out for a commercial that his company ultimately landed instead, and she's been e-stalking him ever since. "You think this is a real internet romance?" Johnny... avoids answering that. "What, you'll take my project but you won't take me?"

Luckily for Johnny, Allelujah runs in shouting for everyone to get out, because we have Gundams incoming! It appears to be the Trinities (Eida reacts to the name), and they open fire on the building...

The blissfully unaware Gurren Gang is counting up all the new jacked Ganmen and hopeful warriors that have come to them, inspired by Kamina's example, and the Great Gurren (a name Yoko insisted on for the reborn Dai-Gan-Zan, but wouldn't tell anyone why) is almost done too. The only thing left is Simon, and as Leeron says, he won't be so easy to patch up. Yoko gripes that she's trying to move on so Kamina's sacrifice didn't go to waste, but...

Rossiu runs in to interrupt! Apparently, both Simon and the Lagann are unaccounted for, and right in the middle of beastman territory...

Waaaaargh!

That all you got, beastmen? I'm just getting started!
I'll... I'll fight you in my bro's place!

What's the matter with you, Lagann? Wake up! Move!
Why won't you move?!

With nothing for it, Simon gets out of Lagann to investigate a box dropped by the beastmen. It's unlocked, so he opens the lid...

Good evening.
I-it is?
What might your name be, sir?
S-sir? I'm not really a...
Oh, this must be Outside!
The cool, the movement, the noise... how wonderful!
Uh, your feet...
But why do you look like me?
Uh...
You have no tail, no fangs, no scales. In fact, your skin is soft.
Well, yeah. I'm a person.
A... person?
You know, a human being.
What is a hu-man being?
Come on, a human. Shaped like us, face like this...
Are there more of you?
Huh? Um... yeah, there are.
Truly? Are they all like you? Do they all have the same faces?
Not exactly the same. That would be weird.
It would?
Uh, yeah...
But why am I outside?
I... I don't... look, we have to get away from here.
My name is Nia. What is yours?
Me? I'm Simon...
Simon. What a lovely name.
Uh. Um, thanks.
Excuse me, Simon?
Yeah?
What are those?

poo poo! Simon dives for Lagann, but it still won't go, and Simon curses himself and Lagann for not being able to avenge his bro. Simon yells at Nia to run away as fast as she can while he handles the Ganmen.

I don't want to see anyone die again!
If any more people have to die, I should...
Do you wish to die?
Wha...
If you're afraid, you may run. But you must not die.
I'm not a-afra--
And you must not tell a lie.
Ah...

That said, the rescue party is here!

But so are more Ganmen, and that's when Nia does something dumb:

In the name of Nia, first daughter of the Spiral King Lordgenome, I order you to retreat!

The beastmen dutifully obey, but that just raises more questions...

Laguna Halevy had some strong words for the Trinities for all the direct damage to the party venue, but screw it. They did some damage to his rivals and to GOONZ, as well. Besides, Nena's the one who actually flipped out and fired on them (she says they were just bugging her, being all happy and stuff). He's not mad about something stupid like doing collateral damage to civilians, is he?

According to Johann, he's mainly mad because the R-Daigun's pilot was in that building. Her day job makes things a huge pain for them, and Nena figures the Trinities don't need her anyway. But Johann hears she made it out with minimal damage, and if that's the case, Nena wishes she'd taken a few more walls down.

The Trinities have their next mission, another Overflag extermination, and they're going to head out before the Daigun can recover, join them, and spoil their fun.

Simon's dragged Nia back to the Great Gurren base, and none of them have any idea of what to make of her, nor the reports that GOONZ was attacked at the party. There are several wounded, but no casualties, and Kitan tactlessly says they wouldn't have been able to handle losing more people. Simon storms out, sulking.

So he's still in that state, and Lagann's shut down too. Leeron theorizes that it has nothing to give to a creature without the will to survive in the first place.

Simon finds himself in the ship's mess, where Nia's been filled in on what her dad's been up to. But she doesn't think her dad would do that without a good reason. Simon snaps that he's just a bastard. Nia asks if he hates her father. Well, no duh. Then does he also hate her? If not, what is he fighting for? Simon says he used to fight because his bro was leading him. Perfectly innocently, Nia asks who is Bro.

Yoko stomps in and lets her know, and Nia understands why the crew would hate her. Simon, though glum, insists we don't hate her. Kamina certainly wouldn't - no matter what happened, he'd always have that grin on his face. Yoko calls him an idiot for it, but asks Simon to tell them both a story of Kamina.

A long time ago, way before Yoko, Kamina was still on his plans to escape from underground. But this time, he and Simon were trapped by an earthquake. Simon thought he was going to be buried alive and die, just like his parents. But Kamina put on his stupid smile and told him to just keep moving forward. And when he did, Simon's drill arm stopped shaking and he could hear the stone as he drilled, telling him where to dig, where the earth was soft.

Simon would have died if he'd given up. He owes Kamina his life. That's how it was until then and how it was ever since - Kamina is what gave him the strength to do anything, and without him, Simon can't do anything. "And that's why I have to be Bro in his place."

"That is incorrect," pipes up Nia. "You were alone when you saved me, were you not? You are perfectly adequate yourself. Why concern yourself with this Bro?"

Simon splutters. "Y-you don't know anything about him..."

"I could not possibly. He isn't here," says Nia brightly. "As he is not here, you cannot depend on him."

Yoko tries the "you didn't know him line," but Nia counters that she knows Simon reasonably well, and Simon is a strong person who is wasting his talent on a dead man. "You know who killed Kamina!" Yoko explodes. "So who do you think you are lecturing us?"

Nia apologizes, but Yoko has to admit she's right. They can't spend their lives grieving, but if only it was that easy to forget...

Oh, but look, the beastmen are attacking! (I think Rossiu's entire job is to burst through the door with bad news.) GOONZ is on their way, but the Great Gurren can't move, so they have no choice but to dig in.

I gotta go out there... fight in Bro's place...

Chapter 33: A Life to Pierce the Heavens

With the wounded from the attack, this is all GOONZ can afford to field. Simon still has Kamina on the brain. Team D, however, is totally pumped to kick some rear end.

The beastmen arrive, and there are quite a few of them.

This is for Bro... for Bro...
Don't break down on us now, Simon! Kamina wouldn't--
Shut up!

I gotta be Bro!

Eureka is sad to see Simon's sorry state, and as if in response, the Imáge warp in. ZEUTH recognizes them from their universe, or an alternate version of them. But given their Eureka's relationship to the Coralians, their version of the Imáge, what does that mean for this Eureka? Holland interrupts - the Imáge are going to attack, and we have to defend ourselves from both fronts. Roger agrees - we can worry about them later! Eureka murmurs that the Imáge want to know how sorrow feels, but Holland says they won't give their key to them!

The beastmen guess that the Imáge are going after us alone. Very convenient for them, no?

Wow, Simon, not looking too good over here. His base Will is 50, so he's in no condition to fight even Aced, his Spirits are drained, and they're all doubled in price too in case you wanted to do something cute with pigmole steak. Still, the kid insists on fighting...

I gotta... be Bro!
Come on, Lagann! This is the only way I can pay for letting him die!

Wow, Simon really is in no shape to fight.

(Something's up with Eureka. Is it the Imáge?)
(There were Imáge when I found her again, too...)
(Eureka and the Imáge. Does this have anything to do with why she's a military secret?)

(You've done a lot for us, GOONZ. I really wanted to work with you as much as I could...)
(But it's time for me to go. This is for our survival...)

Wow okay I did not upgrade Holland.

Anyway, despite Renton and Holland taking up space, the beastmen are weak and the Imáge are weaker, so...

Talho and Renton decide it's time and order Renton back to the Gekko.

Renton complies, but demands to know what the hell's going on. Eureka sadly says it's all her fault. She's not human, you see. Even back at Warsaw, Renton was the only one in the world who treated her like one. She is a artificial humanoid sent by the Imáge to gather data on humanity, and now they've come to extract her because she tried to understand Simon's sorrow. All she really wanted was to be an ordinary girl with Renton...

Right, where does the Gekko come into this? Holland knew what Eureka was all along, and that's why he rescued her - or, Renton corrects himself, stole her from the army. But why? Holland has a question for Renton before he answers that: "How old do you think I am?"

He's seventeen. Everyone on the Gekko is seventeen years old. They're all "children of Neverland."

Who remembers the Agony of Doha? The fictional Z2 one, not the soccer match. The experiment it describes was an attempt to cause a dimensional quake using the Imáge, specifically another Imáge artificial robo-human just like Eureka. They were on that ship, eight years ago, and the only grown-ups with them were a young soldier and a girl with pink hair, embracing each other as if it were their last moment on Earth. Then the entire sky went rainbow, and the next thing they knew, they were being pulled out of the wreckage of the craft. They knew the grown-ups used them because no one would ever miss a bunch of orphans. But they saw hope at the end of the rainbow tunnel, an entire world beyond - a shining blue world where a sign was carved into the moon. From that day, they swore they'd make it back to that world, and they have Renton's parents to thank for it. Those two were part of the study at the Warsaw Laboratory, and their guiding principle was an old riddle called the Legend of Ageha, which lies at the heart of this whole plot.

But the military took them in after the accident, and the two grown-ups were nowhere to be seen. After that, it was ascertained that their bodies were aging three times faster than normal. And that's what the whole survival thing is about - Holland believes that they will age and die unless they can make it back to that other world, and he wants to safeguard Talho's future!

And where does Eureka come into this, again? Holland says the theory is that the Legend of Ageha comes from the Imáge. They have the power to alter reality locked within them, but they don't know how to activate it, so they seeded the Legend to have a human activate it for them somehow. The Neverland kids put it all together and come up with the answer: they're going to use their artificial Imáge-human, Eureka, to kickstart a dimensional quake, and rewrite the universe into one that will let them live!

Renton thinks that's insane, and abusing Eureka to do it makes it even worse - in fact, just like the grown-ups that abused the Neverland children in the first place! Holland smacks Renton across the floor, but Renton still refuses to let them use Eureka. But that's where he has it wrong. Holland's plan doesn't need Eureka - it needs both of them! Eureka cries to Renton to escape. Renton won't leave her, so Eureka orders the Nirvash to get Renton out of there.

As it flies away, Eureka sadly tells Renton everything was her fault, but she's glad she got to see him again before the end. Now she can go with no regrets. She doesn't want to fulfil her real function, and if she goes with Neverland, she won't have to...

Renton protests, but Holland orders the Gekko to fly off without him for now. We've lost the Gekko and Holland, the jerks. Renton commands the Nirvash to go after the Gekko, but it refuses, and Jeffrey takes it in himself for debriefing.

GOONZ is confused, but now something else is approaching at high speed...

Son of a bitch.

The Trinities aren't with it, and it wasn't with them at the party, so it's clear they've separated. All four members of Team D are ready to beat its face in and become a real Dancouga!

Heh. So you've learned a sliver of the truth of our battle.
But I will not fail. The R-Daigun will be the one to save the world!

And now we have an SR point to take her out within two turns from now.

Since we have a second turn to bring all of GOONZ on her, though, and she's all the way over here, I'm going to let her come to us.

Also, Spirit watch: Cathy gets Analyze. Reika gets Attune. Both useful.

We're almost out of beastmen at this point.

The Imáge, though, while fragile, are taking their sweet time to engage.

So this is how touch the Daigun is.

Time to go on the counter!

"The truth of our battle," huh? What do you know?
I fight for the fate of the world. Defeating you is one step!
You're still talking in riddles! How does defeating Dancouga Nova help you save the world?
There's no need to tell you that... because your battle ends right here!

Aoi loots a Spinal Connector. It's the control unit for Dancouga's VBMs, apparently the Daigun as well, and it greatly amps up Accuracy for the equipped unit.

But apparently, the Daigun isn't down for the count yet. And her blow destabilizes Dancouga's reactor, sending it into meltdown. Sumeragi urges Dancouga to split, and Aoi refuses. At last, they're completely synchronized, and they'd rather risk it all than split and let the Daigun take them down.

Then show me what you're made of!
Final Dancouga!
Show you what?
How you fight! How you live! The power of life itself!
Why we live... for who, to do what...
Here we are, and I haven't found jack. I can't die yet!
This isn't why I'm alive. I can't die yet! I refuse!
Let me put you out of your misery, Dancouga Nova.
Woooooaaaaaaaaaaahh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X3kxmNjYY0

Dancouga goes loving wild. Daigun flees.

Huff... huff...
Wha... what was that? It's like I'm burning up...
My body... and my soul are on fire...
Power filling me from my core...
This is... what we've been looking for...
See, you can do it after all. That's the power of life... wild energy.
Wild...
It means you've broken down a wall. Use that God Beast Mode well.

Incidentally, Team D getting in touch with their wild sides somehow means they can push the Nova's generator to maximum output safely. From now on, Aoi will always deploy with her full team as Dancouga Nova and there will be no overheating time limit. Finally.

Shinobu also heads off to give the good news to F. S., leaving GOONZ wondering what his deal is. Why is he standing referee over the battle between Nova and Daigun, and why is he an Accursed Wanderer?

As always, no time to wonder - we've got more Imáge to deal with! Were they drawn by Team D's burst of energy?

Simon, we've knocked our wall down!
How about you? You gonna keep breaking your head against that wall?
I can't be Bro... not ever...

But that's quite all right.
Nia?
You are Simon. No one else, certainly not Bro. You are Simon, the man who saved me.
I'm not Bro, I'm me?
You didn't figure that out?
Simon, you're you!
Kamina was amazing, it's true.
He was strong, imposing, and passionate.
But you're still you!
You can't chase a shadow forever!
All you have to do is what you think is right!
We can all make up for Kamina together!
You don't have to do it by yourself!
We'll all follow Kamina's path as a team!
And take it further than he ever could!
You can still take things slow, your way, but pick it up a little!
My way...

Kamina used to say you were always there for him. That you're the one who never gave up.
And you never did give up! You've always been fighting from the beginning!
Yoko... Rossiu...
Simon, remember the last thing Kamina said to you!
Believe in you... not your believing in me, or me believing in you...
Believe in you... believing in yourself!

Lagann...
You believe in me too!
Simon, you believed in Bro. Now I believe in you!
Yeah!
Simon!
We're combining, Rossiu!
Roger!

Bro's dead! He's not here...
But he's still supporting me! He's still inside me! I'll keep on going with him!
If I'm digging, I'll dig through the cieling! If I get buried, I'll dig my way out!
If I can get out, I win!
Who do you think I am? I'm Simon!
I'm not Kamina, my bro! I'm Simon! Simon, the Digger!

We've got Gurren-Lagann back, the Great Gurren on our side with Dayakka at the helm, and Yoko in the Dayakkaiser, now the Yoko M Tank!

The Great Gurren (Dayakka, Leeron)
Skills
Spiral Power L2
Guard
Offensive Support L2
Prevail L4
Spirits
(Dayakka)
Vigor
Invincible
Strike
(Leeron)
Scan
Accel
Alert
Weapons
Sub Gun (12 ammo)
Main Gun (8 ammo)
Ram (20 EN, 110 Will)
Great Gurren Gang Rush (50 EN, 130 Will)
Ace Bonus: At 130 Will, casts Assail at the beginning of each phase.

Oh look, a new boat! It's a piece of crap against flying units (its last attack straight up does not work STA), but it has some mobile range and it can at least support with its cannons. Also, Dayakka has no Command or anything and it's slow.

It'll probably come into its own, eventually, though.

Power stable! All systems green!
All hands in position!
Enemies dead ahead! We're good to go!
The Great Gurren is our home, and one Kamina gave his life to provide!
All units, keep Kamina's spirit burning in your hearts! Great Gurren Gang, charge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uyiYRmqpug

Yoko M Tank (Yoko)
Skills
Spiral Power L2
Offensive Support L3
Chain Attack
Hit & Away
Spirits
Vigor
Snipe
Strike
Invincible
Weapons
Strike (10 EN)
Rail Rifle (13 ammo, size)
Cannon (8 ammo)
Ace Bonus: Rail Rifle: +1000 damage, +1 range, +30 accuracy, +3 ammo.

tl;dr screw the robot, use the rifle. Yoko is probably the best support sniper in the game out of the box, skill wise, even though the M Tank is not quite as good as, say, Dynames, or Emperanza.

How does it feel, Yoko? Are you comfortable in the Dayakkaiser? It's been tuned just for you.
Not bad! I think I like it!
Its name is the Yoko M Tank!
Well, I like the rest of it!
This is my Ganmen, and I'll fight as hard as Kamina would have! No, ten times as hard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8yhPNBpLk

Yeah, this rifle.

More to the point...

Gurren-Lagann (Simon, Rossiu)
Skills
(Simon)
Spiral Power L4
Prevail L6+3
Break Will Limit
EN Save
Chain Actions
(Rossiu)
Spiral Power L1
Prevail L4
Defensive Support L3
Spirit Block
Spirits
(Simon)
Gain
Guts
Strike
Spirit
(Rossiu)
Vigor
Trust
Weapons
Toroidal Burst (56 EN, 140 Will, size, MAP)
Kick (8 EN)
Gurren Boomerang (12 EN)
Glassun Cutter (16 EN)
Skull Break (24 EN, 110 Will)
Full Drillize (40 EN, 120 Will, barrier)
Giga Drill Break (60 EN, 130 Will, barrier)
Ace Bonus (Simon): Deploys at +30 Will.
Ace Bonus (Rossiu): At 130 Will, casts Invincible at the beginning of each phase.

At level 15, Rossiu is already a tank powerhouse, immune to pilot conditions and willing to cover anybody. He'll gain experience quickly by being in Gurren's seat even if he doesn't pilot, but there's one good reason to put him in the pilot's seat: if you want Gurren-Lagann to never take damage again. Once he's at 70 kills, that free damage soak will go off each turn forever even if Simon's at the wheel (once he gets enough Will, anyway). Other than that? SP bank.

Simon, meanwhile, has been holding back all game. Where before he was a statistical subpilot with a cheaty Will advantage, now all of his stats and SP pool have been boosted up to main character levels and he's unlocked his last two Spirit slots. He's not actually as good as Kamina, but he's playing with a full deck - and if you expect him to be Kamina, you just missed the point.

By the way, you can't split Gurren-Lagann anymore. The machine is also slightly faster, with a hair more mobility and an extra square of movement.

Come on, Rossiu! Gurren-Lagann runs on our power!
Okay, Simon!
We're going beyond the impossible, kicking reason to the curb! We'll will ridiculousness into reality!
You ready, Gurren-Lagann? That's how we do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ar8L44L98

Haven't recorded that one yet.

One turn later, pretty much nothing has happened except Imáge dying.

(My body is hot... as if every fiber of me is crying out that it's alive...)
(This is wild energy... life energy...)
Awesome! Let's go wild for as long as we have the energy to!

More Spirits: Dayakka gets Faith, which is really nice. Rossiu, climbing the levels rapidly, gets Alert.

In another turn, these are all the Imáge left.

Aoi learns Assail, and all the others learn Spirit.

That's all of...

Fucker!

drat it, Kitan.

Jerk.

Simon thanks GOONZ for opening his eyes, but we owe Kamina a lot. The very least we could do is help out his little bro, right? Besides, we didn't do all that much, did we?

Yeah...
Thanks, Nia.
I know I can't be Bro, but I can do things my own way.
Indeed.
That's how it goes in the Great Gurren Gang! Right, chief?
Who, me?
Hey, Kamina picked you, didn't he?
You need to work on your introduction, though.
H-hey! Come on!
I wish you success, Simon.
Okay!
Can't hear you!
Okay!
(Bro, I'll figure it out... my own way.)
(I'll drill upwards, bit by bit, towards the cieling...)
(Just watch from wherever you are above the stars.)

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

F. S. is glad to hear of Team D's success, but it's only the first step. He's not letting up on Shinobu either; there's a task waiting for him when he returns.

Ru and Seimi believed in them the whole time. They had the guts to pull it off, they just wouldn't let themselves release it. Now that they have, it's not going back in.

But F. S. is still wondering if this is as WILL planned it. WILL says F. S. should already know, even if he doesn't agree. The Dancougas have to fight if they want to transcend man and beast, and then transcend God itself...

Hap totally told Holland so, that Renton couldn't be convinced. Holland should have known that, too, but he was too weak. They should have just drugged Renton from the start. Holland is increasingly upset, and Hap is wondering if he has cold feet. After all they've been through, all they've done? They don't have time to worry about Renton's fate - their lives are on the line.

Holland knows already. It was his mistake and now they're all paying dearly. Renton will tell GOONZ all he knows and their lives are about to get a whole lot harder. He just didn't want to harm a child... Hap snaps that they're supposed to be children too.

Still, this is just a setback. All they have to do is get Renton back. They just need a bit of help. It's all to survive.

But really, they should know better by now than to trust this guy. They seem to have been in contact for a little while, the bastards, and it was Ime, individually rather than as part of the Imperium, who reached out to them. But they did accept his help, and he won't let them back out. Holland growls that they were never planning to turn back anyway.

With the chapter ending, we get Kamina's Shades (+20 will!), as well as an Yggdrasil Drive from Suzaku's kill count.

COMING UP:

I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks, so I have to leave you guys with something else fun. Renton has been debriefed, and while the commanders are reluctant to believe Holland's story, they've convinced Renton to stay with them for now instead of setting off alone for the Gekko. That means Holland's team needs Renton to proceed with their plan, meaning we're in no danger unless they go through us first. Elgan, of course, probably knew the whole time, but wanted to wring the Gekko of all the help he could get from them. Or maybe he wanted us to keep an eye on them for him.

While we've been dicking around here, though, the Imperium has continued its reign of terror and flattened eleven separate states. Vultures follow in their wake, among them the Trinity Gundam team. Sumeragi wants to break off from GOONZ at least long enough to deal with them in Celestial Being's name. Besides, if the Trinities are let go, the world will be in a sorry shape to resist the Imperium. If that's how it's going to be, Zero would like to return to Area 11 with his men. Jeffrey offers the aid of the S. M. S. squad to Sumeragi - if they're going to go looking for trouble, they'll need all the help they can get.

With Sumeragi and Zero heading out, Shirota wants the Crushers to return to Japan. Ohtsuka is suspicious of Dr. Hell's latest moves, and like the Trinities, his shenanigans are only going to weaken mankind when it should be joining together. He also asks Dayakka, as the Great Gurren's captain, if he can expect their aid. Dayakka accepts, but really feels the decision should go to Simon.

So let's summarize. The Great Gurren is going to Japan with the Crushers, Mazinger and Aphrodite, Takeo, 21st, the Great Gurren Gang, the Getter Team, Godsigma, Baldios, Zambot, the Walkers, the Yapan Exodus, and Renton. Heading the other direction will be Celestial Being and the S. M. S. squad, Dancouga Nova, Sol Gravion and the Gran Troopers, Aquarion, Orgus and Nykick, and all the ZEUTH Gundams. Finally, as always, the Black Knights, Colony Gundams, and Chirico are returning to Area 11, along with Roger and Suzaku, since Zero wants to talk to him once more. As much as they'd like him to remain with GOONZ, he may return to Britannia, but even so, Zero has to try.

As always, Crowe gets his free choice. Go to Japan, join Celestial Being, or go to Area 11? Oh, and just to make it more fun, this is the only split route in the game that has a route-specific secret. If you care about it and you pick Celestial Being, also choose Sheryl or Ranka for Alto.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Take the Celestial Being route and pick Sheryl for the secret!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, I like both those other teams better, but my curiosity's got the better of me and I can't pass up a secret, so gently caress it, go with Celestial Being and I pick Sheryl.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is a dumb secret, go with the Gurrens.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Let's Play Code Geass: The Game (with added Gundams, Scopedogs, and Megadeuses).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
When did the Getter team quit Celestial Being? :ohdear:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Broken Loose posted:

When did the Getter team quit Celestial Being? :ohdear:

When they became members of the Great Gurren Gang! :black101:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Let's Unleash the Tornado!

You know exactly what I mean Caphi.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Let's Unleash the Tornado!

You know exactly what I mean Caphi.
Dude, spoilers.

Let's go to Japan.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Celestial Being, pick Sheryl we'll get the other routes anyway later, but the official route should have the secret unit.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Um, I really have no preference at this point so Do whatever the post the post above this one says

So can someone explain Eureka 7 for me? I'm guessing that the writing on the moon is a reference to something, maybe from Z1? I'm assuming that the whole rapid aging thing wasn't in the TV show version, (I haven't seen either version of E7) is this why people tend to not like the movie version? From what little I can gather the Gekko crew seems to be a bunch of douchebags. Is the rapid aging thing as nonsensical as it seems right now? Is it this weird in the movie?

I feel like I can mostly follow what's going on with other series stories, particularly the ones that I know better, but the E7 stuff just leaves me a strange mixture of confused and bored.

Edit: If your problem is that you age too fast, why would you call yourselves "Children of Neverland" or whatever? The whole thing with Neverland was that they didn't age.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 19, 2013

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Alacron posted:

Um, I really have no preference at this point so Do whatever the post the post above this one says

So can someone explain Eureka 7 for me? I'm guessing that the writing on the moon is a reference to something, maybe from Z1? I'm assuming that the whole rapid aging thing wasn't in the TV show version, (I haven't seen either version of E7) is this why people tend to not like the movie version? From what little I can gather the Gekko crew seems to be a bunch of douchebags. Is the rapid aging thing as nonsensical as it seems right now? Is it this weird in the movie?

I feel like I can mostly follow what's going on with other series stories, particularly the ones that I know better, but the E7 stuff just leaves me a strange mixture of confused and bored.

Edit: If your problem is that you age too fast, why would you call yourselves "Children of Neverland" or whatever? The whole thing with Neverland was that they didn't age.

Vague Eureka Seven series and sort of explaining the movie: The writing on the moon does refer to something from Eureka Seven, which did occur in Z1. You should watch it. It's great. In the original the Gekko crew were the ages they look in the movie. The point is that the Gekko crew saw the other universe and decided to try and recreate the events of the show even though they're separate universes with different rules and stuff. The movie and the show being different is the entire point.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So I have no loving idea what the movie-Gekkostate are on about, but I don't like it.

Simon, however, is a badass. I didn't watch the show, but that's a great scene and I really like how Ryouma involves himself in the GL plotline.

Also, Celestial Being and Ranka.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So I have no loving idea what the movie-Gekkostate are on about, but I don't like it.

Simon, however, is a badass. I didn't watch the show, but that's a great scene and I really like how Ryouma involves himself in the GL plotline.

Also, Celestial Being and Ranka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsUwEBypgU

It's a pretty good scene in the show too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Welcome to the madness that is the Eureka 7 movie. It is literally "Here, let's take some fun and interesting characters, poo poo all over their development and previously established personalities, and while we're at it, make everything stupid."

:siren:Some Eureka 7 movie spoilers:siren:
The whole concept of the movie is just baffling, ranging from stupid rewrites to characterizations to blatant recycled animation from the TV series with revised dialogue. Yes, a movie with a slightly higher budget resorted to recycling animation from the TV series. As for what's going on, part of the movie revolves around Eureka being considered this magical fairy figure (think Tinkerbell) that'll guarantee entrance to Neverland. Except she sort of is and sort of isn't. The game will probably get into that soon. Also, the film implies that "Neverland" is essentially the universe from the TV series, as others have mentioned. So yeah. There's more that's just :barf: inducing due to the more disturbing subject matter, but I'm going to avoid that part for now.

Personally, go watch the TV series. It's a great show and entertaining. Avoid the movie like it's a goddamn pandemic-level plague.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsUwEBypgU

It's a pretty good scene in the show too.

Thanks.

Also, I like how they handled the trinities attacking the party - going after GOONZ and all. It sounds like a small thing, but in the Anime Nina just blew the hell out of a fancy party for no reason whatsoever outside of boredom (and because the writers realized they had yet to do anything of remote importance with a certain character). It's a small touch, but a very beneficial one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing with the Eureka 7 movie is that it has a good thesis but it is presented in an absolutely terrible way which undermines the concept. It really hurts it because to work it needs to be as good or even better than the original show and it really really isn't.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Thanks.

Also, I like how they handled the trinities attacking the party - going after GOONZ and all. It sounds like a small thing, but in the Anime Nina just blew the hell out of a fancy party for no reason whatsoever outside of boredom (and because the writers realized they had yet to do anything of remote importance with a certain character). It's a small touch, but a very beneficial one.

SRW does that all the time which I really appreciate. Little touches make the characters a lot more sensible.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

Welcome to the madness that is the Eureka 7 movie. It is literally "Here, let's take some fun and interesting characters, poo poo all over their development and previously established personalities, and while we're at it, make everything stupid."

:siren:Some Eureka 7 movie spoilers:siren:
The whole concept of the movie is just baffling, ranging from stupid rewrites to characterizations to blatant recycled animation from the TV series with revised dialogue. Yes, a movie with a slightly higher budget resorted to recycling animation from the TV series. As for what's going on, part of the movie revolves around Eureka being considered this magical fairy figure (think Tinkerbell) that'll guarantee entrance to Neverland. Except she sort of is and sort of isn't. The game will probably get into that soon. Also, the film implies that "Neverland" is essentially the universe from the TV series, as others have mentioned. So yeah. There's more that's just :barf: inducing due to the more disturbing subject matter, but I'm going to avoid that part for now.

Personally, go watch the TV series. It's a great show and entertaining. Avoid the movie like it's a goddamn pandemic-level plague.

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall something about Renton writing on the moon.

Man, this game is seriously packed to the gills. I'd totally forgotten that E7 and Dancouga were in Z2 until this update. It's really hard to keep track of all this poo poo.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

My feelings exactly. Let's go to Japan.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alacron posted:

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall something about Renton writing on the moon.

Man, this game is seriously packed to the gills. I'd totally forgotten that E7 and Dancouga were in Z2 until this update. It's really hard to keep track of all this poo poo.

Z Spoilers, but writing...isn't the correct term for it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Goddamn do I love Z's finale. :allears:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Let's go to area 11 and do some negotiating.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Always Stick with Team Dai-Gurren.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Well, okay, if it's dumb, I revise my statement to roll with Team Dai-Gurren

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Celestial Being, Ranka.

Alacron posted:

So can someone explain Eureka 7 for me?

Sure. First off, let's establish something: E7's movie happens in an alternate dimension from the E7 TV show. This is incredibly important since the main goal of Movie Gekkostate is to get to the TV world.

Everything begins when a couple of kids and a few adults get caught up in an experiment going wrong or something. The details escape me, but the main thing is that poo poo hit the fan so hard the dimension broke. The people caught in the incident were suddenly aged a ton (two of them dying from it), and all of them saw something through the freaky dimensional void: a moon with writing on it. This is a direct reference to E7's anime ending, where Renton quite literally writes his love for Eureka on the moon.

Getting back to the movie, the newly-aged adults quickly find out that they're screwed. Turns out that when they suddenly grew up, that accelerated time thing didn't just end. So now they're aging so fast that they're going to die soon, no matter how many drugs they shoot into their system. Rather than just giving up and dying, however, they cling to the hope that if they go to that world with the moon (or in their words, "Neverland") they'll be saved. Their justification for this is that the E7 movie world has a fairy tale (that is very clearly a summarized version of the E7 anime) in which a Not Eureka and Not Renton do... something, I don't really remember this part that well. Main thing to keep in mind is that the Movie Gekkostate seek to recreate the events of the fairy tale because that will open a way to the anime's world.

Oh, and all of these kids didn't actually have names or anything; they were all test subjects, hence Talho calling Holland that weird name. This makes it kind of hard for them to do much, so they kill a ton of people and steal their identities. Note that this is the probable reason why all of the E7 movie characters suck so much; they're not ex-military dudes/legitimate pros like the anime's Gekkostate, they're just a bunch of kids playing pretend.

Most people don't like the movie because

AradoBalanga posted:

The whole concept of the movie is just baffling, ranging from stupid rewrites to characterizations to blatant recycled animation from the TV series with revised dialogue.

they see it like this, which is completely missing the point. Said point is something that Z2 will probably get into eventually so I won't mention it.

One last note: ImpAtom is completely right. It may sound like I'm defending the movie, but I'm really not. It had a cool premise and a great message, but it just utterly failed the execution. I'd consider the two hours I spent watching the thing a waste to be honest.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Celestial Being and Ranka for the route.

quote:

Kamina's Shades (+20 will!)
Doesn't that go perfectly on Rossiu once he gets his Ace Bonus?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

veekie posted:

Celestial Being and Ranka for the route.

Doesn't that go perfectly on Rossiu once he gets his Ace Bonus?

It goes on Chirico because he is the least appropriate person to be wearing them. (And listening to a Ranka album) :colbert:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

Celestial Being, Ranka.

Sure. First off, let's establish something: E7's movie happens in an alternate dimension from the E7 TV show. This is incredibly important since the main goal of Movie Gekkostate is to get to the TV world.

Everything begins when a couple of kids and a few adults get caught up in an experiment going wrong or something. The details escape me, but the main thing is that poo poo hit the fan so hard the dimension broke. The people caught in the incident were suddenly aged a ton (two of them dying from it), and all of them saw something through the freaky dimensional void: a moon with writing on it. This is a direct reference to E7's anime ending, where Renton quite literally writes his love for Eureka on the moon.

Getting back to the movie, the newly-aged adults quickly find out that they're screwed. Turns out that when they suddenly grew up, that accelerated time thing didn't just end. So now they're aging so fast that they're going to die soon, no matter how many drugs they shoot into their system. Rather than just giving up and dying, however, they cling to the hope that if they go to that world with the moon (or in their words, "Neverland") they'll be saved. Their justification for this is that the E7 movie world has a fairy tale (that is very clearly a summarized version of the E7 anime) in which a Not Eureka and Not Renton do... something, I don't really remember this part that well. Main thing to keep in mind is that the Movie Gekkostate seek to recreate the events of the fairy tale because that will open a way to the anime's world.

Oh, and all of these kids didn't actually have names or anything; they were all test subjects, hence Talho calling Holland that weird name. This makes it kind of hard for them to do much, so they kill a ton of people and steal their identities. Note that this is the probable reason why all of the E7 movie characters suck so much; they're not ex-military dudes/legitimate pros like the anime's Gekkostate, they're just a bunch of kids playing pretend.

Most people don't like the movie because

they see it like this, which is completely missing the point. Said point is something that Z2 will probably get into eventually so I won't mention it.

One last note: ImpAtom is completely right. It may sound like I'm defending the movie, but I'm really not. It had a cool premise and a great message, but it just utterly failed the execution. I'd consider the two hours I spent watching the thing a waste to be honest.

:tipshat: Thank you Goonsir, that does indeed sound way more interesting on paper than what's actually been presented.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Celestial Being, Sheryl.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Japan!

Caphi posted:

Kappei is, like, twelve. What the hell has he been through? (That would be Zambot 3, by the way).

:negative:: The anime.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Celestial Being route, and pick Ranka for the secret (note that I have no idea what the secret actually is, Ranka is just my favorite character among the three of them :shobon:).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Mikl posted:

Celestial Being route, and pick Ranka for the secret (note that I have no idea what the secret actually is, Ranka is just my favorite character among the three of them :shobon:).

We get a different upgrade for each of them maybe?(I've no clue either)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Daler Mehndi posted:

Japan!

:negative:: The anime.

And then the final boss of Zambot 3 undoes the hypnotic brainwashing that Kappei's used to you know, not feel the crushing fear that comes with being a 12 year old against an alien army out for humanities extermination. The kid just breaks at that point.

Also Z really, REALLY needs to be done on the forum one of these days.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Thanks.

It did end up leading to the dumbest version of Gift of the Magi that I've ever seen, though. Spent all that time working to buy a ring, turns out terrorists blew off your girl's fingers.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Onmi posted:

And then the final boss of Zambot 3 undoes the hypnotic brainwashing that Kappei's used to you know, not feel the crushing fear that comes with being a 12 year old against an alien army out for humanities extermination. The kid just breaks at that point.

Also Z really, REALLY needs to be done on the forum one of these days.

Your wish is in process.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475303&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=60#post417909133

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Wasn't that guy basically just transcribing MNeidengard's guide with the pictures, though? Anyone can read the guide but I'm much more interested in the conversations like this LP has shown us.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Caphi's been translating for him for a while now, and he's been going back to the early posts to add in conversations.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Well, that's completely awesome. Guess I'd better check that out then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ardeem posted:

Caphi's been translating for him for a while now, and he's been going back to the early posts to add in conversations.

I haven't been doing anything like a full translation, just filling in the banter for him mostly. Z2 is all mine, though.

• Locked thread