Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dr. Honked posted:

aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yyyyyiiissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

it fucken owns
im the yamaha p series.

what amp do you use for your synth/piano jamming? is something in the roland kc series? i've been wanting a little portable synth like that for a while, but i don't have any way to make it loud enough to be heard other than a guitar amp that i'm afraid it might blow up :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i have an mt-32 how's that for ~vintage gear.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

coffeetable posted:

are you talking about modern mainframes or about stuff from the 1980s that's still chugging along? b/c i honestly did not know mainframes were still A Thing (i am a childe)

i also hadn't thought about how loltastic the security would be in software designed under ye olde assumption that all users would be in the same room

there's no 'stuff from the 80s'. It's like saying Windows 2012 is 'from the 90s' and it's more like 'from the 60s'. Anyway, it's super crazy poo poo especially because every system programmer from about 1970 on up drinks the IBM koolaid (including their own engineers) and then poo poo like the Logica breach happens and people STILL think it didn't happen and that Logica is trying to cover it up.

Also my most recent project:

http://t.co/Aiepahi8MM

Some of my favs:

(all of these are just chillin on the internet)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

quazi posted:

Everybody is familiar with the concept of a bloated installer. Stuff like iTunes, NVIDIA drivers, the whole OS.. and not just Windows -- Mac users are having to deal with this crap too. Everything is getting too fat, and it's not just the nerd siting in the chair.

The absolute last platform I expected to see a bloated installer was an IBM mainframe running z/OS. For those of you not familiar with it, this is a text-based world full of simple-looking stuff that performs insanely powerful tasks. The closest thing I can equate it to is Unix or DOS, and even then, that analogy breaks down within seconds.

Even though I've only been a system admin for four years, I still have experience with products like: IOF, CA Disk, TMON, MXG, Syncsort.. Due to the spartan interface on this platform, products don't install anything remotely looking like a whiz-bang feature. Most mainframe programmers pride themselves in writing software with as little overhead as possible. Most of the time, an installation routine involves a series of batch jobs where you edit some dataset names to point them in the right direction, run those jobs, edit a couple config files, and boom -- you've installed something!

For the longest time, the most complicated install procedure I encountered was to verify that a handle in CA Disk was configured to view dataset control blocks in such a way as to make the backup utility jobs not mark the 'last accessed' field in datasets they were looking at. Stuff like that can twist your brain into knots if you're not careful, but even then, configuring it was a matter of setting a parm and executing a job.

Most software weighs in between 10MB and 100MB, while CA Disk was around 600MB. (oooh! it nearly filled a 3490 tape!) But when you consider that it's a third-party replacement for a fundamental part of the OS, that's kinda expected.

Enter SAS, an 800-pound behemoth of statistical analysis software. We've got several departments who rely on this, and since I'm the junior sysadmin, it's naturally my job to make sure the software is kept up to date.

I log into the SAS website and find the latest installation file (Release 9.2). It's 8MB. I think, "that's not bad for something that does so much! This mainframe platform sure is efficient!"

I then follow the instructions and upload it to the Unix side of the system. (Background) All of the latest IBM mainframes are divided into two sections -- z/OS and Unix, where the Unix side is also known as OMVS (Open Systems). The OMVS side is more of a vestigial growth that hangs off z/OS, but the two sides have complete read-write access between eachother.

The next step in the process is a bit baffling. "Set up an X Window server on your workstation." It turns out that the installer is a panel-driven wizard, and now the mainframe, which up until this point has only dealt with a text interface, now has to drive a graphical interface. I can't help but wonder what the hell the installer could possibly be doing in the background that I couldn't do by hand, but I was curious to see this. (Also, it's the only method for installing the product.)

My supervisor hooks me up with an IBM-recommended X-server, and upon running the SAS installer and connecting it to my workstation, a little "Press 'Next' to continue the SAS installation process" window pops up on my machine! Sure as poo poo!

But as nice as that sounds, that's when everything starts going to hell. My mainframe user account spikes to 100% CPU usage and stays there as long as I have the X-server connected. This triggers a resource shortage, which triggers a red message on the master console, which leads to a phone call from the folks in the datacenter making GBS threads themselves asking me if they need to worry about this. The next big surprise is that this installer doesn't actually install the product, it's just a downloader. Remember when I said that we mainframe admins consider a 600MB installation a big thing? Well, the SAS Downloader pops up a message warning me that I don't have the space to download all 7.8GB of the product.

SEVEN POINT EIGHT GIGABYTES?! GREAT SCOTT

I feel the need to remind you that this is a product for a text-based interface. "What the hell?" doesn't even begin to describe what I'm thinking. First, what could possibly be in it? Second, our system cannot allocate an OMVS volume big enough to contain it, and I'm pretty sure a company with such a rich mainframe heritage as the SAS Institute would be well aware of this type of limitation. (OMVS volumes are actually z/OS datasets, and the largest dataset we can allocate is 10,000 cylinders*, which comes out to a little bit less than 7.8GB.)

*-- There are ways around this, but it's drat tricky once you've put the machine in production.

I hop back on SAS's website and find a Windows version of that same downloader, along with instructions for downloading the data to my workstation and then uploading it back to the mainframe. Even though I don't have the space to upload it, I want to see what's in it.. And yes, I verified with SAS tech support that both the z/OS and Windows versions of the downloader get the exact same data.

I use WinDirStat to try to find out what is making this sucker so damned big.

- It has a tree with over 1500 subfolders.

By file type:
- There are over 500 JAR files (which it probably uses), and they weigh in at 1.8GB.
- There are nearly 100 ZIP files, and they're 1.6GB.
- Some "PAX" files.. 1.3GB.. (if they're what I think they are, they're kinda like zips)

But the next one is so funny it makes me cry inside:
- 191 EXE files, 853MB.

You know, "Windows executables".. Programs that run on Windows. Programs that have no business taking up precious space on a mainframe because z/OS considers them to be complete gibberish. The average mainframe is so big that it makes a Windows box look like a cell phone, and ours is no different. It needs Windows EXE files like a fish needs a bicycle. "What the gently caress is this poo poo doing here, SAS?!"

I check the folder tree, and there's 200MB of .Net redistributables and service packs, 220MB of ACE redistributables (in nine different languages!), 176MB of JET redist (in 20 languages), and over 1GB of products that can only be installed using their respective "setup.exe" files. It turns out that the SAS Download Manager grabs the installation data for every single platform for which SAS is available, and it doesn't give you the ability to 'uncheck' any of it. It's all 7.8GB or nothing.

I call SAS tech support to see if there's any way to get a smaller installation package (similar to the previous version, which was about one-tenth the size)..
-- Their answer: "no."

-- Me: Can I just delete all of the EXE files, and remove the folders that are obviously installing stuff that is foreign to the mainframe?

-- Them: "Uhh.. that's a bad idea. This installer is Java based, and Java is cross-platform and it might need to access some of that data and possibly execute some of those exe's in the background."

Let's just say the conversation fizzled from there and I gave up.

gently caress it, we're sticking with SAS Release 8.2 until the end of time. :suicide:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

heh

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

so does this guy not know you can use NFS in OMVS? Probably not.

But anyway, all enterprise software is poo poo, just because it's on the mainframe doesn't make it magically awesome and secure.

The same poo poo company that brought you your broke-rear end windows based software is also the same company thats bringing you poo poo mainframe software.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

there's no 'stuff from the 80s'. It's like saying Windows 2012 is 'from the 90s' and it's more like 'from the 60s'. Anyway, it's super crazy poo poo especially because every system programmer from about 1970 on up drinks the IBM koolaid (including their own engineers) and then poo poo like the Logica breach happens and people STILL think it didn't happen and that Logica is trying to cover it up.

Also my most recent project:

http://t.co/Aiepahi8MM

Some of my favs:

(all of these are just chillin on the internet)

okay so at first I was like "haha i should tell my uncle about this guy" cuz he worked at ibm for a while, left, and went back eventually, and he did a lot of programming work for them, so he'd get a kick out of it

then you posted a pic that had nd in it and I gotta ask is your middle name Henry "Porkchop"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

someone post that video of the guy turning on the old mainframe and it takes like half an hour to do so

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

okay so at first I was like "haha i should tell my uncle about this guy" cuz he worked at ibm for a while, left, and went back eventually, and he did a lot of programming work for them, so he'd get a kick out of it

then you posted a pic that had nd in it and I gotta ask is your middle name Henry "Porkchop"

nope. I posted ND cause that poo poo was internet facing (thanks SHODAN, NMAP and MFScreen)

And yes you should tell your uncle to look this up: https://wikileaks.org/gottfrid-docs/

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

dur posted:

someone post that video of the guy turning on the old mainframe and it takes like half an hour to do so

post post post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytMgyrZm87A

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

The Leck posted:

im the yamaha p series.

what amp do you use for your synth/piano jamming? is something in the roland kc series? i've been wanting a little portable synth like that for a while, but i don't have any way to make it loud enough to be heard other than a guitar amp that i'm afraid it might blow up :(.

i use a fender mustang 1 mk2 but that's because i am mainly a guitarist. that works fine for me but i had to set up a clean patch on the amp via the computer, which is a pretty wacky concept, because i am from the olden days. you might want to consider one of the very nice powered monitors that are in fashion right now?

cigani
Sep 26, 2009

by Fistgrrl

i condense several hundred articles and two dozen books into 95 slides to help elucidate organic 1,2,3 and p.chem 1,2,3 and allow interested students to pursue additional information if they want by sourcing seminal papers. it takes a lot of time to compile and compress and then you need to go back over it and make sure the information is tailored at the right level that answers immediate questions but leaves open additional questions for curious students. its a hard to balance complexity, rigorousness, and easy of use

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dr. Honked posted:

i use a fender mustang 1 mk2 but that's because i am mainly a guitarist. that works fine for me but i had to set up a clean patch on the amp via the computer, which is a pretty wacky concept, because i am from the olden days. you might want to consider one of the very nice powered monitors that are in fashion right now?
it sounds like we are in nearly the exact same boat. i've got one of those fender superchamps that also plugs into the computer, and it can sure as hell get loud enough. i suppose i'm not going to be going for ~pure classical piano~ sounds when playing some dumb new wave covers anyway. that way i will avoid adding yet another amp/monitor to the mix for now.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
My idiot spare time project: finally figuring out how to do graphics with Python and then doing the simplest poo poo i can think of in it, apparently

fractals!

conway's game of life!

langton's ant!

yeah i know i'm really breaking new ground here

i also wrote a thing for doing anti-aliased lines but then realized pygame already had one

oh well

ol qwerty bastard fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 16, 2013

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

My idiot spare time project: finally figuring out how to do graphics with Python and then doing the simplest poo poo i can think of in it, apparently

fractals!

conway's game of life!

langton's ant!

i also wrote a thing for doing anti-aliased lines but then realized pygame already had one

oh well

post ur github, dork

i wanna make pretty pictures too

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

this one is a rose or maybe the female reproductive system iunno

yeah i'll probably get around to making a github account at some point

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

designing myself a new desk. i have these great massive solid steel legs from my old desk cause when i moved i had to throw out the desk top cause it was way too big and heavy (about 6 feet long 3 wide). it was ugly cheap formica kind of material anyway. so am designing myself a new hardwood top that i'm gonna cnc on the router. debating what type of wood to use and how many hidden compartments to install

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ol qwerty bastard posted:

fractals!

conway's game of life!

langton's ant!

oh well

this owns, post the github

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Dr. Honked posted:

aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yyyyyiiissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

it fucken owns

yes after mocking its size I am now thinking it would probably suit my own needs more.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
went to techshop today and made babbys first metal shop project in the safety class, a lovely can opener.

also took a cnc programming class, this place is great

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
they have soldering stations, a wood shop, a bunch of cnc stuff, 3d printers, a metal shop, and a cnc embroiderer so i can even make shirts with dicks embroidered on them

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i bought a pinball machine & it owns

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

802.11weed posted:

i want one

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

it's great if you want to learn some mechanical / electrical stuff (because there's always something that needs fixin')

if you don't want to work on it then good luck / stick to emulation :T

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah I just want to play on it and i'd get bored after about half a dozen gos on it i reckon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

802.11weed posted:

please do the needful & interface w/ the yosbong please tia.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
pinball machines are like a giant mess of relays and solenoids

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kwinkles posted:

a giant mess of relays and solenoids

pls don't post about my sex toys

Dec 26, 2012

kwinkles posted:

pinball machines are like a giant mess of relays and solenoids

exactly they own

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

kwinkles posted:

they have soldering stations, a wood shop, a bunch of cnc stuff, 3d printers, a metal shop, and a cnc embroiderer so i can even make shirts with dicks embroidered on them

how much does it cost to go there and use their stuff?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
i pet my dog and then scratched my balls.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sagebrush posted:

designing myself a new desk. i have these great massive solid steel legs from my old desk cause when i moved i had to throw out the desk top cause it was way too big and heavy (about 6 feet long 3 wide). it was ugly cheap formica kind of material anyway. so am designing myself a new hardwood top that i'm gonna cnc on the router. debating what type of wood to use and how many hidden compartments to install

i am jealous of yr router's ability to take 6'x3' workpieces

ps if you're splurging, go for teak. teak is fantastic for countertops - it's what all those old school chemistry benches are made from. teak, epoxy base coats, varnish top coats. watch a pile of videos on varnishing if you haven't done it before, b/c it's easy to gently caress up

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

01011001 posted:

exactly they own

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

dur posted:

how much does it cost to go there and use their stuff?

its like 175/mo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
my little poo poo thing is halfway done, gotta do the theming now

Dec 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyiY_3cyEuo here's a robutt. only fell in once filming it, too

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

okay i've cleaned up the code so it's not as dreadfully embarrassing as it was

https://github.com/kyle90/mandelbort/blob/master/Mandel.py

that'll generate a mandelbrot fractal; it doesn't do much else but i'm working on some 2-D math stuff so i can make something that can use other polynomials. vector arithmetic is tedious.

https://github.com/kyle90/simple-conway/blob/master/Conway.py

game of life yay

includes some kind of stupid functions that i can't be arsed to rewrite. just wait until you see how i'm drawing a square on the screen

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

01011001 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyiY_3cyEuo here's a robutt. only fell in once filming it, too

:3: swim lil guy swim

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

802.11weed posted:

livin the dream. which one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

01011001 posted:

owns owns owns