Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Welcome to the Sports Broadcasting thread. Pretty much this is a thread to discuss everything from Sports Talk Radio to Sports Televsion. It's to allow the Sports Journalism thread to be exactly that, the Sports Journalism thread.

Let's meet our main networks:

ESPN

"The World Wide Leader in Sports"

quote:

From Wikipedia:
ESPN (originally an acronym for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network) is an American-based global cable and satellite television channel, that is owned as a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company (which operates the network, through its 80% ownership interest) and Hearst Corporation (which holds a 20% interest). The channel focuses on sports-related programming including live and recorded event telecasts, sports talk shows, and other original programming.

Fox Sports 1

quote:

From Wikipedia:
Fox Sports 1 (FS1) is a United States sports-oriented cable and satellite television channel. The network, which launched on August 17, 2013 (replacing the motorsports network Speed), is owned and operated by the Fox Sports Media Group division of 21st Century Fox.[1] The network, along with companion channel Fox Sports 2 (which replaced Fuel TV at the same time FS1 replaced Speed),[2] is based primarily from the Fox Sports division's headquarters in the Westwood section of Los Angeles, though the networks also operate offices in New York City and Charlotte, North Carolina (the latter of which served as Speed's home base).

NBC Sports

quote:

From Wikipedia:
Shortly before the launch of the network's coverage of English Premier League (and the launch of new competitor Fox Sports 1), it was announced that the network would begin to solely be referenced by their NBCSN initials to streamline branding and graphical presentations. The rebranding effort began slowly in June during NHL playoff coverage, and the transition is expected to be complete by February 2014 for NBCSN's coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

CBS Sports

quote:

From Wikipedia:
The CBS Sports Network is a sports-oriented cable channel operated as a part of the sports division of CBS. It launched in 2002 as the National College Sports Network (later CSTV), a multi-platform media brand which encompassed its TV network, collegesports.com, and a network of websites operated for the athletic departments of 215 college and universities.

Also, there are networks with now each individual league, two major college football conferences (Big Ten, Pac 12), individual cities (such as Fox Sports -insert city here-).

To add, this first post is a work in progress, so please feel free to submit your own entries for the aforementioned Sports Networks.

So, have at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I only require two things from a sports broadcaster:

1) Genuinely enjoys covering games
2) Is not compelled to tell the viewers ever 3 minutes how much they're enjoying the game

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Joe Buck ruins football games. I know this isn't really a controversial statement but he sucks the life out of the most exciting plays and it sucks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was really debating whether to boycott Fox Sports 1 or not, due to them having ESPN-envy, being associated with News Corp, and killing Speed off.

You know what? It's not that bad. I enjoyed what little I saw of Fox Sports 1 thus far. Fox Sports Live has been fairly refreshing compared to Sportscenter.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can't look at Fox Sports 1 without being reminded of 1990s web iframes. Why do they have so much real-estate taken up by useless graphics?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Anaranjado posted:

Joe Buck ruins football games. I know this isn't really a controversial statement but he sucks the life out of the most exciting plays and it sucks.

Joe Buck ruins everything. Who was it that criticized him by saying Buck doesn't actually get excited during great plays, he simply drones on at a louder volume?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A panel of Donovan McNabb, Ephraim Salaam, Gary Payton, and Andy Roddick sounds horrible.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Harlock posted:

A panel of Donovan McNabb, Ephraim Salaam, Gary Payton, and Andy Roddick sounds horrible.

It was interesting hearing Andy Roddick talking about Mark Sanchez

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Fox Sports' marketing strongly suggests that they think the problem with ESPN is that it's too serious and smart, which is kind of baffling.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Harlock posted:

The panel format was kind of "eh", but it wasn't "dear god change the channel" bad I've come accustomed to via watching sports center. They had the panel sitting in airport lounge chairs just pretty much calmly discussing topics.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

This is where I can vent on how Jim Nantz gives more importance and gravitas to sponsor reads than he does the actual sporting event that's on the screen, doubly so if it's at the Masters and he can thus kiss the rear end of anyone wearing a green jacket in the hopes he gets a membership, right?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Having watched enough Penguins games on ROOT Sports I can see why people hate the Penguins because the propaganda/cocksucking tandem of Bob Errey and Paul Steigerwald ruins a lot of games. They will never say a bad thing about the players and will try to find any excuse to make lovely plays done by the Pens the other team's fault. Oh and they'll defend Marc Andre Fleury to the bitter end. Honestly its better to just watch the game in sync with radio since Mike Lange owns all the bones.

BTW where ROOT Sports fall in the grand scheme of things?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Where the gently caress is my CSN Houston? :argh:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

achillesforever6 posted:

BTW where ROOT Sports fall in the grand scheme of things?

Wikipedia says ROOT is used to be a couple Fox Sports ______ before a rebrand, so, FOX (Sports).

CaptainYesterday posted:

CSN is owned by Comcast, and Comcast owns NBC, so, NBC (Sports).

edit: I may or may not get around to doing an effortpost about the different sports the networks own and the talking heads they employ to cover them. I'm extremely lazy though and going back to school at the end of the week, so :effort:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 18, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
DirecTV owns Root Sports. They haven't been a part of Fox for a long time, which is why they wanted to get rid of the FSN name.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DOOP posted:

CSN is owned by Comcast, and Comcast owns NBC, so, NBC (Sports).

Let me rephrase my question.

Why can't I watch CSN Houston? :argh:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At least Fox Sports 1 has an effective promotional strategy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vZaZQZ5qrk

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I either read or watched an interview with Joe Buck where he admitted he doesn't even like watching baseball yet he still does commentary. If that's the case, why do it? I assume it's the money but if that's so then why do it so often? He seems like a guy that's very set financially and is very well-known so he could do appearances doing this or that instead of going through what I guess is pure agony of watching baseball games and boring the hell out of everyone watching. It's very apparent and has to be a concern of the network's.

I think that Super Bowl call where he sounded bored with a game-saving catch had to do with an issue with his vocal chords and he couldn't physically get his voice any higher. But if that's the case, stay home. A sprinter doesn't go to work with a broken leg and just drag it across the finish line, shrug, and say "heh, I tried!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Joe Buck has shown emotion once in his life, when Randy Moss pretended to show his butt to us on national TV. Outrageous.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The most excitement I've ever seen Joe Buck show was on some lovely interview show he had awhile back and one of the episodes was him interviewing Paul Rudd in a limo. I think Buck thought he could parlay his broadcasting into something more substantial like Keith Olbermann maybe but he's so boring at what he does that it must turn everyone in the industry off.

Purely speculation but that's what I've gathered

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I think Buck showed some more excitement on air after going on twitter and hearing every single insult ever said about him.

Also, the format of Fox Sports One's news show reminds me of NBC's NFL pregame a few years ago when they let Keith and Dan do the highlights and had a player's lounge for analysis.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

Also, the format of Fox Sports One's news show reminds me of NBC's NFL pregame a few years ago when they let Keith and Dan do the highlights and had a player's lounge for analysis.

I do definitely get a Dan/Keith vibe with Jay/Dan.

I'd much prefer the "Lounge" set up, or how say, NFL Network does things with Primetime and Michael Irvin, than the psuedo "debate" we get from ESPN.

e: To add, just make sure it doesn't cross the line of "Chuckflefest" like the CBS/FOX/ESPN crews get for NFL Football.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 19, 2013

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do definitely get a Dan/Keith vibe with Jay/Dan.

I'd much prefer the "Lounge" set up, or how say, NFL Network does things with Primetime and Michael Irvin, than the psuedo "debate" we get from ESPN.

e: To add, just make sure it doesn't cross the line of "Chuckflefest" like the CBS/FOX/ESPN crews get for NFL Football.

Jay/Dan are national treasures and we want them back

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

You want to hear something Joe Buck-related that's jarring because it's unfamiliar, but actually sort of cool at the same time?

http://youtu.be/3HD_dHuPr-I?t=1m25s

Also, in case anybody pokes their head in the NASCAR thread and doesn't get why we bitch about coverage, here's a rundown on the ins and outs of NASCAR broadcast teams and who's who:

NASCAR on FOX (first 13 Sprint Cup of the season; all Camping World Truck Series races thanks to FS1):
Sprint Cup-
Booth: Mike Joy (PBP), Darrell Waltrip, Larry McReynolds
-Joy has been around NASCAR since the 1970s and is quite good at what he does. He can also be seen during the Barrett-Jackson classic car auctions on FS1/FS2 and knows a fuckton about cars.
-Darrell Waltrip is a three-time Sprint Cup champion and, for better or worse, loves racing. Some fans have grown tired of his BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY shtick. Fills FOX's quota for "Resident Danica Patrick Apologist".
-Larry McReynolds was Dale Earnhardt's crew chief when he finally won the Daytona 500. He also won the 500 with Davey Allison in 1992. Has a thick Alabama accent, which people have complained about over the years (get the gently caress over it).

Pit Road: Steve Byrnes, Jeff Hammond ("roving reporter"), Krista Voda, Matt Yocum

Hollywood Hotel (pre/post-race, in-race updates): Chris Myers, Michael Waltrip
-Myers was a stick-and-ball guy who has seemed to find a genuine appreciation for racing since coming onto the scene as a NASCAR rookie in '01.
-Waltrip the Younger needs to get back in the car so we don't have to hear from him.

Camping World Truck Series-
Booth: Rick Allen (PBP), Phil Parsons, Michael Waltrip/Todd Bodine
-Allen is an underrated PBP guy and, if I remember right, was the PA announcer for the U of Nebraska football team. He was also the PBP guy for FOX's B-teams when FX had the Busch Series in its first TV deal.
-Parsons is the younger brother of Cup champ and former color guy Benny Parsons (RIP) and is equally underrated. Explains things without being too cutesy.
-Waltrip the Younger needs to get back in the car so we don't have to hear from him.

Pit Road: Ray Dunlap, Hermie Sadler, Bob Dillner/Krista Voda
__
NASCAR on TNT (Sprint Cup only, six-race "Summer Series")
Booth: Adam Alexander, Wally Dallenbach, Jr., Kyle Petty, Larry McReynolds (infield)
-Alexander has worked his way up from being a track announcer at Peanut President's local dirt track to the Sprint Cup level. Became PBP guy after Bill Weber was fired and became a magician (I am not making this up.) Does a good job.
-Dallenbach didn't have much success in NASCAR, but is an expert road/sports car racer and is willing to call a driver out for something notably stupid.
-Petty goes against NASCAR's "Promote Danica At All Costs" agenda, calling her out for the ball of suck she is and also does a good job of not mincing words with what goes on on track.

Pit road: Chris Neville, Ralph Sheheen, Marty Snider, Matt Yocum
-I met Sheheen flying home after the Coke Zero 400 this summer and can confirm he's a really cool guy. He's a diverse guy who also calls motocross, superbikes, and World of Outlaws sprint cars.
_
NASCAR on ESPN (Last 17 Cup races, all Nationwide races)
Booth (A-team): Allen Bestwick, Dale Jarrett, Andy Petree
-Bestwick is a guy that loves everything to do with NASCAR and seems to find genuine enjoyment in what he does. Veteran of MRN Radio, TBS, NBC/TNT. Something's hosed in the world if he's not NBC's guy in 2015.
-Jarrett follows in his dad's footsteps at ESPN, moving to the booth after retiring in 2008. Does a decent job, prone to Danica Patrick cheerleading.
-Petree was Dale Earnhardt's crew chief and a car owner for several years. So yeah.

Pit road (A-team): Dr. Jerry Punch, Dave Burns, Jamie Little, Vince Welch
-Punch has been calling NASCAR races off and on since the late '80s/early '90s, even making a cameo appearance in Days of Thunder. He's a connection to "the good ol' days" and didn't miss a beat between 2000 and 2007. Original PBP guy when ESPN regained rights before they shook things up the first time.
-Little used to ride motocross and parlayed that into working pit road for ESPN somehow.

ESPN Pit Studio (pre/in/post-race, think Hollywood Hotel for ESPN): Nicole Briscoe, Rusty Wallace, Brad Daugherty, Ray Evernham
-Briscoe is bad. Just bad.
-Wallace isn't much better. Was in the booth before Jarrett retired.
-Daugherty is, in fact, the former NBA All-Star who loves him some NASCAR. Part owner of a team.
-Evernham was Jeff Gordon's crew chief from 1993-99. Later formed his own team and started banging a redheaded sprint car racer who made a miserable attempt at a NASCAR career on Ray's dime.

Booth (B-team, when Cup and Nationwide separate): Marty Reid, Ricky Craven or Ken Schrader
-Reid has been the voice of IndyCar on ESPN since 2006, where he cheered really, blatantly hard for Danica Patrick. Shifted over to NASCAR in time for Patrick's arrival in 2010. Continued slobbering. Was replaced by Bestwick on Cup races in 2011 and still does lower series races.
-Craven was a promising up-and-comer plagued by concussions in his career. Underrated in the booth.
-Schrader is your drunk uncle at the family barbeque who owns. Makes occasional appearances in NASCAR, but still runs lots of dirt track races. Is missing a thumb from a racing accident.

Pit road: Mike Massaro, Shannon Spake, Rick DeBruhl
-The first two find their way onto Sprint Cup broadcasts when other pit reporters do IndyCar.
-Spake is pretty bad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Joe Buck doesn't suck because he's monotone, Pat Summerall was monotone and he was great. Joe Buck sucks because his utter contempt for everything going on in front of him is so obvious.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've not once met a person who liked Joe Buck, either in person or in media. I just have to wonder why he still has a job and gets the "best" assignments for broadcasting.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

Joe Buck doesn't suck because he's monotone, Pat Summerall was monotone and he was great. Joe Buck sucks because his utter contempt for everything going on in front of him is so obvious.

This post is absolutely correct. Summerall was not "exciting" to listen to, but he loved what he was doing, and with Madden being a bit wacky next to him, it meshed so well. I don't know if it's Buck's fault or whatever, but he's never meshed well with anyone else. I'm counting down the days til Tim McCarver retires.
What do you all think of Dick Stockton? I like him but a lot of people don't seem to like when he's on.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

CaptainYesterday posted:

Is this the thread where we bitch about CSN Houston cause I'm gonna make myself right at home.

We could talk about the future of regional sports networks and the implications of that future for the profitability of MLB/NBA teams in general. But really I just want to watch my loving Rockets on TV.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

While listening to last week's Hang Up and Listen, I heard them mention the launch of FS1 so I tuned in near the beginning of today's 5am airing of Fox Sports Live. The graphics look like the random FSN programming I've seen in the past, and the aesthetics remind me of Fox's MLB and Nascar coverage, which also turns me off.

The two anchors (I've read up on their TSN background) seem like they're trying too hard for banter - it reminds me more of Sports Night than the Dan Patrick/Kenny Mayne days on Sportscenter.

I'm willing to give it a chance. The real test will come once football season starts.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 19, 2013

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Everything you need to know about Joe Buck is summed up in his disgust for Randy Moss fake mooning the Packers crowd.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Everything you need to know about Joe Buck is summed up in his disgust for Randy Moss fake mooning the Packers crowd.
So he's a racist without a sense of humor?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BIZORT posted:

The most excitement I've ever seen Joe Buck show was on some lovely interview show he had awhile back and one of the episodes was him interviewing Paul Rudd in a limo. I think Buck thought he could parlay his broadcasting into something more substantial like Keith Olbermann maybe but he's so boring at what he does that it must turn everyone in the industry off.

Purely speculation but that's what I've gathered

Joe Buck, Paul Rudd and Jon Hamm have been close friends since before any of them were famous IIRC.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ladies and Gentlemen, the best second best third best thing on tv cable Espn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS9_59n4K4

(Tony works out)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292U2w6LHdk

(Tony changes a water cooler)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVanUDlvByM

(Tony picks up lunch for everyone... from security downstairs.)

I'm not sure why I do like Tony but I do. Maybe because he's an idiot, I don't know, but I think he's great and used to listen to his Radioshow and PTI every day. His radio show is great because he gets a succession of really smart people and asks really dumb questions to them, but dumb in a good way, not an annoying way.

The most amazing thing about PTI is that it seems like the relationship between Reali and Kornheiser, and Kornhieser and Wilbon is exactly the same off camera and on camera.

I also really like that surreal one with the guy and his dad who laughs in a really awesome way.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
PTI got to be a show because that's exactly how Tony andWilbon talk to each other (well, with more swearing). In the ESPN book it says when they proposed the show to Tony he said "that's a terrible idea, who would watch that"

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

seiferguy posted:

I've not once met a person who liked Joe Buck, either in person or in media. I just have to wonder why he still has a job and gets the "best" assignments for broadcasting.

His dad.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

So he's a racist without a sense of humor?

An entertainer with no idea of what's actually entertaining.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

LordPants posted:

(Tony works out)

I'm not sure why I do like Tony but I do. Maybe because he's an idiot, I don't know, but I think he's great and used to listen to his Radioshow and PTI every day. His radio show is great because he gets a succession of really smart people and asks really dumb questions to them, but dumb in a good way, not an annoying way.

The most amazing thing about PTI is that it seems like the relationship between Reali and Kornheiser, and Kornhieser and Wilbon is exactly the same off camera and on camera.

I also really like that surreal one with the guy and his dad who laughs in a really awesome way.
We were talking about this in the other Sports Journalism thread a few weeks ago and someone (sorry, I can't remember who) brought up that in the ESPN oral history book people in the Post newsroom couldn't tell the difference between early PTI and actual lunchroom arguments Wilbon and Kornheiser were having. Well, except for the lack of swearing.

It's too bad Around the Horn has never had a consistently idiot-free panel, but at least they're not giving Jay Mariotti a platform anymore and Bomani Jones is pretty good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

I never liked Summerall much for the same reason. He'd have caught a lot of the same sort of poo poo if he hadn't been paired with someone so beloved. Plus by the time internet criticism of announcers became a thing he was already either gone or very close to being on the way out, so he'd already become an institution because of how long he'd been around and the video game.

LordPants posted:

(Tony works out)

I haven't regularly watched it in years but there was a time when this was legitimately my favorite show on TV. Like I'd DVR it every single day during football season when I had practice late so I'd never miss an episode. They tend to have pretty awful sports opinions, but they're both fairly entertaining personalities (especially Tony) and the chemistry between them is great and really carries the show. Unfortunately the show also has kind of destroyed ESPN because the lesson they took from its success is that they need more people shouting at each other.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 19, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

The Prisoner posted:

We were talking about this in the other Sports Journalism thread a few weeks ago and someone (sorry, I can't remember who) brought up that in the ESPN oral history book people in the Post newsroom couldn't tell the difference between early PTI and actual lunchroom arguments Wilbon and Kornheiser were having. Well, except for the lack of swearing.

It's too bad Around the Horn has never had a consistently idiot-free panel, but at least they're not giving Jay Mariotti a platform anymore and Bomani Jones is pretty good.

Bomani is so good that he makes me willing to watch an hour's worth of ESPN debate shows (though I would probably like DLHQ regardless because of how bizarre it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That show was the weirdest loving thing when it first started out and it was just Dan and his dad who barely watched sports or understood what was going on hanging out in his kitchen.