Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
My three year old son has some fine motor skill difficulties (which are catching up) where his hands shake when he grasps or he wobbles on some things. He has little trouble on racing games (Cars 2). He bounces around a bit and tends to get last place but he will finish them and can place on the first few levels. He can't control stick movement well though. So when he pushes forward it will be forward and to the left. When he compensates for it, he overdoes it. So when he walks forward it tends to be a zig-zag pattern. Even after two hours of play it got better.
Controls are basically what you find in racing games and in simple action games like Lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a battle/pvp mode in this game like Skylanders or no.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there a battle/pvp mode in this game like Skylanders or no.

Not specifically, but you can beat on each other in toy box mode as much as you like. The game tends to devolve into pvp no matter what your intentions are.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I have no interest or knowledge of this game, but can someone explain to my why some huge, fedora-clad nerd was buying my local TRU out of these?

I'm assuming he's trying to stroke his ego by beating all of your children in this game designed for them.

vvv Ahh, I see... so he's just :spergin: vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 19, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's no real PVP or anything, so he couldn't really do that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit: welp misread

Hopefully there are some good deals on toys in the coming months. $10+ per character is not super appealing to me. $7- like skylanders head towards during sales is definitely though

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 19, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
How does the world sharing work? Is there a public list that everyone uploads to and stuff is rated, or can you only share with friends? (Is there even any online world sharing infact? The OP mentions in passing.)

[edit]

I was going to complain about the price of this game, but glancing at Amazon it looks like Skylander's Swap Force is priced almost identically, so I guess Disney are basing the pricing on what they know sells.

vvvv

If true that is very disappointing and probably influence me not to purchase. Kind of understandable though conisdering it being Disney.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 19, 2013

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
zenintrude - AFAIK the Power Disc packs unlock new themes in Toy Box mode. There are also some discs which buff your characters but from what I've read they aren't really needed anywhere.

Baby Santhanas - Again based on what I've read there's no public sharing. Instead it's like WarioWare DIY - there's a regular "contest" to build based on a particular theme and you can submit entries to that which are then manually curated. I don't know about sharing with friends, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hyphz posted:

zenintrude - AFAIK the Power Disc packs unlock new themes in Toy Box mode. There are also some discs which buff your characters but from what I've read they aren't really needed anywhere.

Some aren't just statistical buffs. They have ones that can add abilities and vehicles to your character to play around with.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

hyphz posted:

Baby Santhanas - Again based on what I've read there's no public sharing. Instead it's like WarioWare DIY - there's a regular "contest" to build based on a particular theme and you can submit entries to that which are then manually curated. I don't know about sharing with friends, though.

Regular Toybox worlds that are not part of themed contests can also be submitted and reviewed by Disney and then made available for download. You can also share your own Toybox worlds directly with your friends without submitting to Disney so you can make penises out of blocks and what not all you want.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
I've been waiting for this one for months, as a huge Little Big Planet and Pixar fan. Unfortunately I pre-ordered it on Amazon... for a Sunday release. It won't arrive until tomorrow, so I've been watching a lot of streams and such.

The characters who don't belong to a full playset (So far none of these are available outside of exclusives - this will mostly be Wave 2) are only usable in the Toy Box, but for a lot of people the Toy Box is the "main mode" of the game so it isn't that big of an issue. Each character does have a unique "Adventure" level and they add some Toy Box items to the mix. I am hoping they make the adventure levels for the orphaned characters extra special.

As for PVP, the Toy Box mode is all about making it play how you want - One of the devs have posted videos about using the logic toys to create island forts that basically attack and eject other players, so it would be possible to make say, a Capture the Flag level. What I haven't seen yet is if it is possible to "lock" the toy box, because if one kid gets the bright idea to start using the magic wand instead of playing fair...

From what I've seen, Toy Boxes can be shared with the public, however it is moderated and curated by Disney so if your level sucks or contains objectionable stuff you may need to stick to inviting your friends into your game instead of telling them to download it.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

zenintrude posted:

I have no interest or knowledge of this game, but can someone explain to my why some huge, fedora-clad nerd was buying my local TRU out of these?

I'm assuming he's trying to stroke his ego by beating all of your children in this game designed for them.

They're blind packs of two containing a round disc that you can place under your character to buff him or a hex disc that can unlock new sky textures or vehicles. There's also rare ones like the Abu Elephant or Dumbo that you can use as a vehicle. Long story short, if he doesn't have kids then he's racing to EBay while the power discs have some value.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Huntsekker posted:

Does anyone know what leveling up your figures actually does? I can't tell. There's no trees or abilities like in sky landers that I can see.

I found out what it does after reading this review.

It seems as though the only thing it does is get you spins to get items for the Toy Box. All the stuff in the Toy Box are randomly unlocked via a slot machine kind of thing. The reviewer brings up an interesting point.

quote:

What’s worse is that, after exploring much of the three worlds that come with the game, I’m not even close to having unlocked all of the content in the Toy Box. So now what do I do? Is that content, which is obviously on the disc, blocked off until I spend more money on play sets in the hope of finding more spins to unlock the items I want?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

That is an utterly terrible mechanism for unlocking items. Does that mean that you could quite easily never get certain items if you own every figure and max out all of them, therefore running out of spins till you buy duplicates?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Couldn't you just reset the level of your toys and unlock eight new spins with them?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diosamblet posted:

The characters who don't belong to a full playset (So far none of these are available outside of exclusives - this will mostly be Wave 2) are only usable in the Toy Box

There are exclusive figures?

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Aphrodite posted:

There are exclusive figures?

Currently there is one truly exclusive figure, the Infinite Crystal Lightning McQueen from Toys'R'Us. So far as I know, he doesn't actually have any unique content.

Exclusive may have been the wrong word; the only wave 2 figures released so far have been convention/press early releases - Sorcerer Mickey was given to D23 attendees, but he will be available at retail with Wave 2.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Alex WS posted:

Couldn't you just reset the level of your toys and unlock eight new spins with them?

I am not sure about this. I wonder if it is true. I know you can build mob grinders to level up with.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Baby Sathanas posted:

That is an utterly terrible mechanism for unlocking items. Does that mean that you could quite easily never get certain items if you own every figure and max out all of them, therefore running out of spins till you buy duplicates?

You will never have to buy duplicate figures. A lot of toys are unlocked in the slot machine thing, but just as many are unlocked by opening vaults and treasure chests in the playsets with different characters and collecting capsules in the playsets.

I'm *pretty* sure that resetting the figures' levels should work. Someone should see if that's the case, that'd be an interesting way to game the system.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
The slot machine system worries me more as a "platform" issue. If/when they release Infinity 2, will those unlocks carry over? Are the unlocks tied to my Disney ID, rather than my save file, so I can bring them across to a PS4? (Edit: I'm pretty sure this is the case - from what I saw, your unlocks also appear in the iPad toy box, which ties to your Disney ID) If they implement the same system in a sequel and I can't reset my figure's levels, will I be stuck without spins unless I'm using new figures?
Skylanders really turned me off with the way they handled generation jumps, where Little Big Planet has handled a lot of these issues really well. I hope they follow LBP as an example.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
To answer the question about the PC version before, there's going to be a PC version of the iPad Toy Box app in October and a PC version of the full game next year.

Do I have to complete the Mastery Adventures to unlock the Creativitoys? We're about halfway through three playsets and have spun the toy vault about 20-25 times and still don't have a single Creativitoy. It's bumming me out.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Diosamblet posted:

The slot machine system worries me more as a "platform" issue. If/when they release Infinity 2, will those unlocks carry over? Are the unlocks tied to my Disney ID, rather than my save file, so I can bring them across to a PS4? (Edit: I'm pretty sure this is the case - from what I saw, your unlocks also appear in the iPad toy box, which ties to your Disney ID) If they implement the same system in a sequel and I can't reset my figure's levels, will I be stuck without spins unless I'm using new figures?
Skylanders really turned me off with the way they handled generation jumps, where Little Big Planet has handled a lot of these issues really well. I hope they follow LBP as an example.

Naturally, I imagine the answer will be which ever solution allows them to sell more toys. That's assuming Infinity is a money maker for them. Seeing as they've beaten the next Skylanders to market, I imagine that wont be a problem.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Bionic posted:

To answer the question about the PC version before, there's going to be a PC version of the iPad Toy Box app in October and a PC version of the full game next year.

Do I have to complete the Mastery Adventures to unlock the Creativitoys? We're about halfway through three playsets and have spun the toy vault about 20-25 times and still don't have a single Creativitoy. It's bumming me out.

I think you do get a bunch of toys by doing the mastery adventures.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

baby puzzle posted:

I think you do get a bunch of toys by doing the mastery adventures.

Thanks! We had two hard crashes during the first one and haven't tried again since then. Guess that'll be on the agenda tonight.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

zenintrude posted:

It's worse than that. There are normal packs and and Toys-R-Us exclusive packs (what you have pictured) as well as a TRU exclusive white Lightning McQueen. Scalpers have bought up all the TRU exclusive items and are selling them on Ebay with huge markups. The TRU stuff isn't limited edition though; more will be on the way eventually so don't give in to the scalpers!

Also don't buy those $100+ D23 Mickeys off ebay. They'll be released in the future and as far as I can tell there is no way to see whether a figure is one of the 5,000 D23 prereleased figures or just a normal wave 2 figure. If you do buy one, keep it MIB otherwise you payed $100+ for a $15 figure.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Taser Gator posted:

Also don't buy those $100+ D23 Mickeys off ebay. They'll be released in the future and as far as I can tell there is no way to see whether a figure is one of the 5,000 D23 prereleased figures or just a normal wave 2 figure. If you do buy one, keep it MIB otherwise you payed $100+ for a $15 figure.
The stars on the hat are different coloured. Silver on the D23 and blue, I think on the regular.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Athletic Footjob posted:

The stars on the hat are different coloured. Silver on the D23 and blue, I think on the regular.

This is correct. There is no difference in pose or in-game avatar.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

So, I think you can get more spins by transferring ownership of a figure to another console and then back to your console, and then leveling up again. I haven't taken the time to get to max level and see if it still works then. It is a pain in the rear end, but hopefully you don't have to keep buying poo poo to unlock everything in the vault.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I was taking pictures of the D23 Sorcerer Mickey I got yesterday when I realized that he was posing like totally gangsta in front of my two gunpla models. It's like Mickey's got his own little posse of robots.

Sorcerer Mickey is pretty rad.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The regular one's blue colours look boring in comparison.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 20, 2013

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
My wife got this to play with the kids, they like watching Skylanders as well, but on our first gen Wii it won't even recognize the disc as present. Looks like it is a known issue, and they are claiming it's a Wii firmware issue, has anyone else seen this and/or found a way to work around it?

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

FYI... Target.com has the Lone Ranger and Cars play sets on sale for $17.50 each. I got my local Best Buy to price match. It's half of Best Buy's original price.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
My copy arrived today and I wanted to see if the crash issue with the PS3 version was fixed yet - It looks like it, either they patched it or rolled back to day 1 patch that was causing the problem, so far I've had no problems saving or playing through the intro and in the toybox/playsets.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

It looks like there is a new patch for PS3.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Our exec producer and official twitter accounts have confirmed that there's a patch out for the PS3. I guess we'll know if it did the job soon enough.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 21, 2013

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
I'm pretty happy with this game thus far. The toy box mode is a bigger, deeper version of the same mode that was in the Toy Story 3 videogame - even the villager models are the same, and you're hunting for toy capsules in the same manner.

I wish that the developers had chosen more interesting characters to play as. All the Disney characters I personally like aren't going to be available until wave 2. But I really do love going into the toy vault, rolling on collectibles and seeing something from Pete's Dragon or The Sword in the Stone. There's a lot of stuff in here for Disney nerds.

It's too bad that there isn't a hub where you can download and share creations in the toy box mode, but given how protective Disney is of its image and properties, I'm not surprised.

I'm hoping the series is successful and we'll see more and more figurines for sale in the future. I would love to see Runaway Brain Mickey or Taran from The Black Cauldron.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

It's too bad that there isn't a hub where you can download and share creations in the toy box mode, but given how protective Disney is of its image and properties, I'm not surprised.

The biggest problem with the game so far is the baffling menu system. There is a toybox sharing and downloading system. If you go to Online/Multiplayer, then "Toybox Share"... Then "Disney's Toyboxes"... then the ominous sounding "Submit to Disney" you can upload your toybox to possibly be a public toybox maybe some day in the future.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Diosamblet posted:

The biggest problem with the game so far is the baffling menu system. There is a toybox sharing and downloading system. If you go to Online/Multiplayer, then "Toybox Share"... Then "Disney's Toyboxes"... then the ominous sounding "Submit to Disney" you can upload your toybox to possibly be a public toybox maybe some day in the future.

Yeah, it would have been great to have a big, open hub much like Little Big Planet where the community can rate and comment on each other's toy boxes. But I know it'd eventually come around to where some kid uploaded a recreation of his school and placed paintball guns all around and OH NO MR. INCREDIBLE JUST SHOT MRS. BARKLEY THE MATHS TEACHER.

edit:
The Disney Toy Boxes are weird. They're half-finished, barren worlds. The Tron-Sugar Rush toy Box just has a road that leads you into an abyss, the Disneyland recreation is eerie. There are no townspeople or enemies running around. You would think they'd try to makes these be great examples of what you can do within the toy box. I hope they upload new toy boxes soon, and ones with something you can actually do within other than run around and marvel at how hauntingly quiet it is.

That said I smiled when I jumped in the Tron car and Daft Punk's "Derezzed" started playing.

Dr VideoGames 0.299 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 21, 2013

Bionic
May 6, 2007

ratchild13 posted:

My wife got this to play with the kids, they like watching Skylanders as well, but on our first gen Wii it won't even recognize the disc as present. Looks like it is a known issue, and they are claiming it's a Wii firmware issue, has anyone else seen this and/or found a way to work around it?

Sorry that I can't help with this exact issue, but just FYI, the Wii version only allows two-player in toy box mode, not in the playsets. You can play multiplayer if you want to build lots of stuff, but the playsets in the Wii version are single player only. Yes, it's stupid. No, they don't advertise it that way. Boo to them for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

How in the hell do I reset the theme in Toy Box? I put down a Sugar Rush themed disc and now all I can loving hear in Toy Box mode is the goddamn Sugar Rush theme and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

I know the comedy option is "buy more power discs lol" but seriously this is terrible and nothing in the tutorials tell you how to change the theme back to normal.

• Locked thread