Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Either a long story/structure, or (in an ideal world) a dynamic campaign. From what i gather it might just be be 6-12 quick missions. Plus i am excited about an IL2 that doesnt look like its from 1999-2005 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dude the campaign and mission generator are all you need if flying online isn't your bag.

Just go blow poo poo up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You might want to customize stuff with the mission generator a bit though. It's idea of balance is to pit 4 F-18s against 8 Su-27s. Needless to say this is not good for CAS assets.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

gently caress ATC.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The VATSIM newbie night was a lot of fun. Just 1 newbie, who did very very well and enjoyed himself. Lots of weird situations with pubbies cropped up and it was a lot of fun to handle. Overall we had quite a bit of activity at the sleepy virtual Waco airport. Looking forward to doing it again

code:
[03:32:36] Statistics:
[03:32:36] Time connected: 03:35:46
[03:32:36] Aircraft Seen: 61
[03:32:36] Aircraft Tracked: 13
[03:32:36] Flight Plans Amended: 9
[03:32:36] Handoffs Initiated: 4
[03:32:36] Handoffs Accepted: 4
[03:32:36] Squawks Assigned: 21
[03:32:36] Scratchpads Assigned: 3
[03:32:36] Conflicts Detected: 0
In reality, this data means we had about 13 unique pilot (different users) operations into the airport, 4 departed, 4 arrived, and we had 4-5 goons playing in the pattern most of the time. Counting separate departure/arrivals for each touch and go, I have no doubts we had about 30 operations an hour at peak, which is getting close to real world traffic levels for many slower airports. Not bad for a lovely online network, and I think everyone had a good time.

During this operation we had 2 emergencies (one gear failure, stuck down thankfully, the other radio failure), an experimental Lancair Legacy doing an overhead maneuver to a full stop landing (in between 4 pattern workers) and a 2 King Air departure "push" to Dallas Love airport, plus many incompatible aircraft types trying to share one runway to do touch and goes (most of them played nicely).

Didn't think to take any screenshots of the controller side during the peak traffic moments, but I'll try to remember for next time.

Megadyptes posted:

gently caress ATC.

Looks like at least 500ft vertical separation to me :dealwithit:

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 19, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The Ferret King posted:

(one gear failure, stuck down thankfully

Was actually only halfway down. http://www.twitch.tv/kilonum2/c/2775868

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I feel like the VATSIM codecs increase my voice an entire octave.

EDIT: And Mumble too. Oh well

Haha, I'm thoroughly entertained by that video. "It just ended the flight," "Yeah it ought to have."

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 19, 2013

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I feel like in real life i'd have stayed up for hours trying to troubleshoot those gear. As i watched and you were turning that very short final i thought as if i was the pilot/owner in that situation: "This is going to be expensive, Where do i even GET a new prop for a P-40"? *crunch*

Edit: Just to be a sperg,i think you had about 70 gallons, not 500, and its been a while, but i think that in an emergency call the fuel is to be expressed in hours so the ATC operator (who will be an unstable, stressed person) that you have now put in a stressful situation of clearing everyone out of your way doesnt have the additional job of googling your pilots handbook and figuring out the fuel burn rate of your plane :goonsay:

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 19, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well sim airplanes are free to replace.

Interestingly, atc can be interested in both fuel figures. Primarily time, you're correct, but also in gallons or weight because it helps the fire crews determine how much response will be needed to contain the spill.

Props to N26L for making the quick go around. I think he enjoyed the out of the ordinary instruction.

EDIT: Also, it's Kilo, if you flew with us you'd understand how routine this is.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 19, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This owned -- I wish I could have spent time in the pattern.

I think I pulled the overhead break pretty well with thinking the pattern altitude was 1000 feet AGL instead of 500. I was still going way too fast but I didn't really have to add power and threw the gear down pretty late. Not too bad given that I've been flying regional jets recently. The worst part was I forgot how terribly the brakes work in the Lancair so I missed my turn off while deciding if I wanted to linger on the runway and do a full roll out in hopes it'd make Kilo go around.

The Ferret King posted:

I feel like the VATSIM codecs increase my voice an entire octave.

It took me half of the ATIS to determine it wasn't automated. Robots don't have high voices. You sounded normal.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
Hell yeah. I was the newbie and it was a hoot. I was ready to do my full stop and then all the sudden there was an emergency. I did two right hand loops on an extended down wind before I was finally cleared to land. By the time I landed I was sweating balls. Thanks, dudes. Fun as hell.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Landed the P-51d for the first time in dcs world, I'm thinking I might come hang around the irc again, hopefully see you all soon. :v:

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Newbie night on Vatsim was good fun. I haven't played in almost a whole year and it was good to get some pattern work done again.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

sellouts posted:

This owned -- I wish I could have spent time in the pattern.

I think I pulled the overhead break pretty well with thinking the pattern altitude was 1000 feet AGL instead of 500. I was still going way too fast but I didn't really have to add power and threw the gear down pretty late. Not too bad given that I've been flying regional jets recently. The worst part was I forgot how terribly the brakes work in the Lancair so I missed my turn off while deciding if I wanted to linger on the runway and do a full roll out in hopes it'd make Kilo go around.

It took me half of the ATIS to determine it wasn't automated. Robots don't have high voices. You sounded normal.

Definitely enjoyed your approach and call up from a random direction. I think we had 3 in the pattern around that time. Pattern altitude IS 1,000AGL but I forgot Waco is about 500' MSL and I needed to restrict the other guy under you during your overhead break so he could get a touch and go in while you were turning around.

Overhead maneuvers are a little tricky to sequence properly but they're kinda helpful. You can keep the overhead airplane 500ft above the pattern (if you remember what altitude your airport is at, that is) and get a departure or arrival off the runway during the overhead aircraft's maneuver.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Aero737 posted:

Newbie night on Vatsim was good fun. I haven't played in almost a whole year and it was good to get some pattern work done again.

I had to remember all the radio verbiage, because even though I still fly every few weeks, it's almost always without ATC.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm a little :smith: that I missed this, being a newbie myself. Oh well, next time perhaps.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mederlock posted:

I'm a little :smith: that I missed this, being a newbie myself. Oh well, next time perhaps.

If you hang out in the IRC channel you could probably find someone to help. We have several real life pilots (and CFIs!) in there, two of whom helped me at the very beginning.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

If you hang out in the IRC channel you could probably find someone to help. We have several real life pilots (and CFIs!) in there, two of whom helped me at the very beginning.

I have been, Deadbabies and BookaT have been very helpful in getting me started. I just wanted to get in the goony funtimes

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Its not very 'sim', but I'm surprised that there's been no mention of War Thunder since it went public on friday.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Is there a multiplayer night for x-plane folks on any regular basis? If so, when?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
X-Plane uses VATSim too, although (for now) you can only use the 32-bit client to connect.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Goetta posted:

X-Plane uses VATSim too, although (for now) you can only use the 32-bit client to connect.

Whoa no poo poo? Will FSX users see my 777 and get irritated while I beat up the pattern in a heavy?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yep. You just have to install XSquawkbox, it all works the same as the FSX version I think.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah the only FSX specific item from last night's event was the Waco airport file. We updated it ourselves to match it with recent construction at the real airport.

I don't know if it's possible to convert it to a format Xplane will recognize, but it's not required. ATC services can be provided to either version of the airport on VATSIM (in fact, the file has so far only been used by goons, so other folks on the network are definitely using the old airport layout.)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How do they work the pattern? Like do I need to be familiar if its a left or right handed flow or am I given fly out instructions and vectors?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Pattern work at an airport with a control tower is a mixture of autonomous action by the pilots (who know how to fly a traffic pattern) mixed with traffic information and sequencing instructions by the tower controller. Check out Kilo's video earlier in the thread of our session and you can hear/see sort of what goes on. The tower will tell you which direction to fly the pattern (left or right hand pattern) along with instructions to extend certain legs of the pattern, report certain aircraft in sight, follow them, make other maneuvers to affect proper spacing etc.

http://www.twitch.tv/kilonum2/c/2775868

See also this virtual ATC group's lesson and instructional video on VFR pattern work: http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/object/v1Rating.html

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 20, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

XSquawkbox is really, really crashy for me with XP10 32bit. It works fine until you are about 3 miles out from a field with traffic and it crashes while rendering the traffic.

I reduced the quality of the textures on other aircraft to see if it helps. Kind of a bummer because the way that the lights look at night in XP10 make final really cool looking, especially with landing traffic in front. I've crashed 3 times on short final because of it and one night it would crash as soon as i hit an active taxiway at LAX.

Might just be something with my system though, as I had problems with the CRJ initially.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
For what it is worth I've had zero problems with XSB with maybe 10 hours logged into VATSim. I've read that a lot of plugins/new planes don't really play nice with the 32bit version and that it is a bit crashier in general. I keep plugins to a minimum and fly like two planes so maybe that is why it has been stable for me.

I read on X-Plane.org that the 64 bit client should be ready for testing in the next month or so which will fix a whole bunch of problems.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Goetta posted:

I read on X-Plane.org that the 64 bit client should be ready for testing in the next month or so which will fix a whole bunch of problems.

They've been saying that since the first 64 bit version of XP10 was released, I'll believe it when it's out and I can download it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Anyone have experience with SimBrief? It looks pretty comprehensive.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hmm, this is kind of cool.

I still am curious as to what PFPX will offer -- however it's due out any day now so with the lack of information about it it's probably going to be late.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sellouts posted:

Hmm, this is kind of cool.

I still am curious as to what PFPX will offer -- however it's due out any day now so with the lack of information about it it's probably going to be late.

Best I can see, PFPX will actually generate the route for you, rather than having to look one up. But then, being the spergs we are, we're all going to check the route and make sure it's a valid real world route anyway....

I dunno, so far, SimBrief seems like it does everything I'd ever need.

E: And I think PFPX is supposed to be able to export a PMDG flight plan, but I kind of enjoy entering it in to the FMC.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For what it's worth Simbrief gave me an unrealistic altitude for a very common route and also didn't conform to appropriate noise restricted arrival on the route given the departure time. So I think for some common routes it'll pull info?

Pfpx I believe will pull charts, which I like too. But free vs 40 euros makes this easy.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I just use real world aviation flight plan apps to do my sim stuff.

Fltplan.com and mobile app

Flightaware.com

AOPA Flight Planner

Skyvector.com (not technically for real world)

Airnav.com

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Ferret King posted:

Pattern work at an airport with a control tower is a mixture of autonomous action by the pilots (who know how to fly a traffic pattern) mixed with traffic information and sequencing instructions by the tower controller. Check out Kilo's video earlier in the thread of our session and you can hear/see sort of what goes on. The tower will tell you which direction to fly the pattern (left or right hand pattern) along with instructions to extend certain legs of the pattern, report certain aircraft in sight, follow them, make other maneuvers to affect proper spacing etc.

http://www.twitch.tv/kilonum2/c/2775868

See also this virtual ATC group's less and instructional video on VFR pattern work: http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/object/v1Rating.html

That's awesome. I'll probably pop in sometime this week with XP10 and the x737. Hey what about time and weather? is that all controlled via vatsim as well?

bloops fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 20, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Weather and time are controlled pilot side. Which means different people can have different weather and time. If you run your simulators realistic date/time/and weather settings, you'll be fine. Doing so isn't required though. Many of use use third party programs for better weather, for FSX at least. Not sure what's available for xplane.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sellouts posted:

For what it's worth Simbrief gave me an unrealistic altitude for a very common route and also didn't conform to appropriate noise restricted arrival on the route given the departure time. So I think for some common routes it'll pull info?

Pfpx I believe will pull charts, which I like too. But free vs 40 euros makes this easy.

SimBrief doesn't generate routes, it looks to see if someone else filed a route first and shows you that. What that means in your case is that the last person to file that route was a moron.

The Ferret King posted:

I just use real world aviation flight plan apps to do my sim stuff.

Fltplan.com and mobile app

Flightaware.com

AOPA Flight Planner

Skyvector.com (not technically for real world)

Airnav.com

For routes, that's fine, but fuel load, &c. is really what I'm more interested in.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Oh hey, Captain Sim is having their annual "everything is €9.99 for 24 hours" sale right now, ~8.5 hours left.

Just grabbed the C-130 all in one pack for FSX (normally €89.97)

$13 for a plane that is normally $115? biggest no-brainer I've had in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Kilonum posted:

Oh hey, Captain Sim is having their annual "everything is €9.99 for 24 hours" sale right now, ~8.5 hours left.

Just grabbed the C-130 all in one pack for FSX (normally €89.97)

$13 for a plane that is normally $115? biggest no-brainer I've had in awhile.

Same, but a smidgen disappointed there's no gooney original-C-130 model :(