Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

On that note, I should have some more stuff for the OP later tonight or tomorrow. I'd like to knock off the roguelike platformers at least.

I did make a post for Occult Chronicles that you can add:

Geokinesis posted:

Occult Chronicles (Currently in Beta)
Map:

Trick taking card game:

Genre: Turn-based RPG, Board-game
Graphics: 2D room tiles and nice card and encounter art.
Platform: Windows.
Cost: $14.99/£10.43/€12.19

Occult Chronicles is an commercial strategy game with roguelike elements and a light Lovecraftian theme currently in Beta. It features perma-death and a randomly generated map. You are an Occult Defense Directorate (O.D.D.) agent on a mission in an old mansion, there are 4 different missions which affect what kind of encounters you'll find. All encounters (battles, spells, lore check, trap avoidance etc) are done via a card game where you have to score a certain number of tricks to succeed, your chances with the cards are affected by your stats which can be improved directly or through edges (read perks) by levelling up. After an encounter you are shown 10 face down cards and given a number to pick, if you won the encounter you'll likely find some good things (health, sanity, bullets) if you lost some bad things (losing sanity/health) amongst blank 'no effect' cards.

Luck does play quite a big part with the cards which is double edged, sometimes you'll lose an encounter due to a bad draw but on the results screen you'll draw only blanks so you end up losing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...

EvilMike posted:

You really need to specialize in this game. Skill levels are super important, a 1 point increase makes a big difference. High level skills are very expensive to increase, but it's worth it. It's still worth diverisfying, but you can't spread yourself too thin.

At the start of the game you should put most of your exp into combat skills (melee, archery, evasion). Take a bit of smithing too, for the guaranteed forge. Other skills are good to take a bit in too, but don't specialize in them yet. While you can go heavily into stealth/song in the beginning and win (it's possible to win a pacifist in sil), it's not as easy for a new player.

Don't take too many abilities at the start (the stuff on the tab menu). They are useful, but expensive if you take too many. Focus on what you think you need for that character.

As for song of mastery, its powerful if you can get it, but it's a late game thing. And by that point, a lot of characters will prefer song of sharpness for combat. Depends on what artefacts you find.

Cheers for the reply!
To be honest, I only want song of mastery because it sounds cool as hell.
I definitely see what you mean about not spreading yourself too thing, despite how tempting it is! I think what worries me is, having seen someone else play and get towards the end game, there is a necessity for stealth beyond a certain point or you rapidly get out of depth. Yet at the same time you need to maintain you primary combat stat, evasion, work towards song of sharpness etc.
Perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to what you need when.

Which abilities do you recommend? I've been getting charge as a cheap attack boost and sprinting seems almost a necessity.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Sil is awesome, I just found a shortbow that fires glowing arrows and have a badass battleaxe that deals extra damage to trolls. It feels so First Age.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Good News Everyone---Prospector seems to have risen from the dead as a multi-person effort as opposed to just pretty well the one awesome guy!

http://prospector.freeforums.org/prospector-r132-t372.html

A couple new builds in the past little while, newest at the bottom via Magellan getting back into his own game at last. Bay12 artist guy Deon (IIRC) is also then seemingly interested in getting the tileset for it rolling again what with it being alive and all.

This was always one of the best games, easily so in the spacey-doings sphere, and I'd previously just hoped in silence that it would come back even slightly for ARRP 2013 in late September---now I can dream big!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Pladdicus posted:

Sil is awesome, I just found a shortbow that fires glowing arrows and have a badass battleaxe that deals extra damage to trolls. It feels so First Age.

I really like Sil, I just wish the interface felt like it was designed this century. The inventory management is worse than Nethack's, which is quite a feat.

k stone
Aug 30, 2009
I'm enjoying Sil quite a bit. The stripped-down mechanics where every point in a stat means a whole lot are really neat. But they also make the standard roguelike elements even crueller than usual. Get hit by fungus cloud three floors in, lose 2 constitution and thus half your max HP forever until you find a specific potion. Equip cursed axe with a negative modifier to strength, have all your attack rolls completely gimped until you learn a specific skill to break curses. Sigh. Guess I should stay away from fungi and <special> equipment until I get the proper skills.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

k stone posted:

I'm enjoying Sil quite a bit. The stripped-down mechanics where every point in a stat means a whole lot are really neat. But they also make the standard roguelike elements even crueller than usual. Get hit by fungus cloud three floors in, lose 2 constitution and thus half your max HP forever until you find a specific potion. Equip cursed axe with a negative modifier to strength, have all your attack rolls completely gimped until you learn a specific skill to break curses. Sigh. Guess I should stay away from fungi and <special> equipment until I get the proper skills.

They also give you ways to avoid all of that stuff, though. A couple points of Will makes violet fungus way less likely to drain you, along with tons of other enemies that show up deeper. Keen senses (perception ability) lets you see fungus before you step next to it. There are also ways to increase your light radius, including with smithing. And if you can cope with the stat loss, stat potions (and herbs of restoration) are something you're definitely going to find, especially once you hit the mid-depths.

For cursed items, there are a couple which suck, but staffs of sanctity (remove curse) are one of the most common types. Lore keeper (which leads to lore master) will identify all curses, and can be taken early. Curse breaking is really just an emergency ability that you should only take if you have a cripplingly bad cursed item that you can't remove any other way... which is pretty rare.

Special weapons with slaying brands will glow, and you can see this in the inventory window. So you can pseudo-id these ones safely, at least.

Everything here is possible in the early game, so you don't really need to hold out that much, if you want to play it safe.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Is there a Sil wiki or any sort of source of information for it?
I can't seem to find one and despite having lore-master I still don't know what a lot of my inventory does (What does a staff of sanctity actually do?!).

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I don't know if the staves fully describe their effects, but items can be examined once itentified (shortcut key is 'x' when using roguelike keys)

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

...damnit. I knew that. I tried it for an amulet of adornment and the description wasn't helpful so I forgot about x when I was trying to work out that staff.

Character got wrecked by a giant anyway but good to know for next time.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Considering my love for Tolkien lore I might just have to grit my teeth and try Sil. That sounds insanely immersive.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The Rougelike Megathread: This ASCII is insanely immersive.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Good News Everyone---Prospector seems to have risen from the dead as a multi-person effort as opposed to just pretty well the one awesome guy!

http://prospector.freeforums.org/prospector-r132-t372.html

A couple new builds in the past little while, newest at the bottom via Magellan getting back into his own game at last. Bay12 artist guy Deon (IIRC) is also then seemingly interested in getting the tileset for it rolling again what with it being alive and all.

This was always one of the best games, easily so in the spacey-doings sphere, and I'd previously just hoped in silence that it would come back even slightly for ARRP 2013 in late September---now I can dream big!

That's cool. I'm really bored with generic fantasy settings, so another active sci fi game is welcome. I remember playing this a few years back and finding the core concepts fun, but the implementation kinda wonky and unbalanced. Hopefully with multiple people working on it they can polish up the gameplay and get that Elite feel that it's going for.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Oski posted:

...damnit. I knew that. I tried it for an amulet of adornment and the description wasn't helpful so I forgot about x when I was trying to work out that staff.

Amulets of Adornment are 100% useless (adorning is a fancy reference to jewelery). They're slightly less harmful traps than, say, Amulets of Inaccuracy (as seen in Crawl) and Amulets of Strangulation (sometimes seen in *bands I think), but they exist purely to frustrate.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

At least in Sil they're worth identifying for the 100 xp! If you take jewelcrafting and have nothing else to make at a forge for some reason, that's a way to get some free xp.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

Considering my love for Tolkien lore I might just have to grit my teeth and try Sil. That sounds insanely immersive.

I've been giving it a go for the last week or so, I'd really recommend it. I don't usually get along with the *bands, but this game doesn't seem even slightly grindy and has a really interesting take on the core roguelike mechanics (combat is actually interesting and tactical). It still has a few issues, but then what game doesn't?

E: does anyone know of a sil public server? That'd be great.

..btt fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 18, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pixel Dungeon got probably its biggest update since adding classes today:

quote:

Pixel Dungeon 0.5 released! This update introduces new levels of the Demon Halls, new items, monsters and the final boss. Also now you can actually win the game by obtaining the Amulet of Yendor. Here is the list of changes from Google Play:

Added: 5 new levels with new monsters and the final boss
Added: Amulet of Yendor is now obtainable, so you can really win the game
Added: Option to scale up UI on large screen devices
Added: New enchantment - piercing weapon
Added: New items
Added: New plants
Added: New sounds
Added: New badges
Added: New water tiles
Changed: Volume of gases in potions reduced
Changed: King of dwarves is now immune to paralysis
Fixed: Several bugs fixed

and more…

This is still only listed as version 0.5 so I imagine he has lots of stuff still planned. :toot:

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Amulets of Adornment are 100% useless (adorning is a fancy reference to jewelery). They're slightly less harmful traps than, say, Amulets of Inaccuracy (as seen in Crawl) and Amulets of Strangulation (sometimes seen in *bands I think), but they exist purely to frustrate.

I know what adornment means but thank you for confirming that it was useless :) I know that sometimes adornment things affect charisma so I wasn't sure it it affected maybe grace or something.
At least I looked fancy as I was smashed into paste on the floor!

Dec 26, 2012

It's vital to leave a good looking corpse.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Pixel Dungeon posted:

Changed: King of dwarves is now immune to paralysis

Oh what :( How am I supposed to beat him now?

That aside, this game is great and just keeps getting better.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

The Rougelike Megathread: This ASCII is insanely immersive.

Or flavorful, or lore friendly, whichever you prefer :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The Roguelike Megathread: Now with 16x FSAA fonts.

EDIT: Anyone tried Full Mojo Rampage? It is supposed to be a roguelikelike(likelike) ala Binding of Isaac. I don't think I want to just dive in as I'm kind of sick of the (boring) recent entries into the subcategory, but if it's good I'll check it out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 19, 2013

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
A guy I know picked it up yesterday, said there was no content yet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

tentacles posted:

That aside, this game is great and just keeps getting better.

Does it? I got to Floor 3 once as the Warrior and haven't gotten back there since, though I've only tried it a half-dozen times.

How do you know when it's appropriate to search a given wall? That mechanic seems really tedious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

C-Euro posted:

Does it? I got to Floor 3 once as the Warrior and haven't gotten back there since, though I've only tried it a half-dozen times.

How do you know when it's appropriate to search a given wall? That mechanic seems really tedious.

Dungeon floors are always square and are more or less mostly filled out. You get very quickly used to knowing where secret doors "should" be. Searching also has a 100% chance of succeeding (and you also have a passive chance to notice if you just walk by, I think Rogues may have a higher chance than others). It's not tedious at all once you get used to it.

Like most roguelikes, there's a lot of trial and error and learning how to make use of knowledge from past games. This applies especially to ID'ing potions and scrolls:

- If there is a "piranha room", there will always be a Pot of Invisibility on the floor.
- If there is a boarded up door, there will always be a Pot of Flame to get through it.
- The most common potion is Healing, and Swarms of Flies drop them.
- The most common scroll is usually Identify. It's generally safe to start reading all your scrolls once you have something to identify and something worth Enchanting (tier 2 weapon or Scale or better armor)
- It's generally safe to test any wand you get on a monster you feel like you can kill (if it turns out to be a Wand of Blinking, which teleports you to the monster) because all wands slowly recharge.

Etc...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Dungeon floors are always square and are more or less mostly filled out. You get very quickly used to knowing where secret doors "should" be. Searching also has a 100% chance of succeeding (and you also have a passive chance to notice if you just walk by, I think Rogues may have a higher chance than others). It's not tedious at all once you get used to it.

Is there a map function or any way to see how a floor is laid out as you explore it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

C-Euro posted:

Is there a map function or any way to see how a floor is laid out as you explore it?

Just drag and scroll around, or pinch and zoom out?

e: This also removes a lot of tedium as you can click anywhere in the dungeon and your dude will take the quickest route to that space, stopping if an enemy appears.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Just drag and scroll around, or pinch and zoom out?

:stare: I had no idea that was possible, this game just got ten times better. Thank you!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Pixel Dungeon is really good goddamn, this is by far the best roguelike I've played on a mobile device.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Would you say Pixel Dungeon is more of an iPad game, or would it work fine on a phone?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ProfessorProf posted:

Would you say Pixel Dungeon is more of an iPad game, or would it work fine on a phone?

It works fine on a phone in portrait or landscape mode. I played it for months before I switched to an iPhone and it's the game I miss most.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ProfessorProf posted:

Before the most recent update it actually worked better on phones because the icons didn't scale up to your UI.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for web-browser based roguelikes I can play at work.. Aside from Dungeon Crawl, I am sick of (failing at) Dungeon Crawl.

I'm not really interested in telnetting in to like, ADOM or Nethack either, played those all to death too.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 20, 2013

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

Fairly short though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

And not really a roguelike, to be honest. A good game nonetheless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Any recommendations for web-browser based roguelikes.

You'll have to fork over :tenbux: but Desktop Dungeons is incredibly fun right now and maybe one day they'll actually release the standalone client so I can play on my laptop when I'm not sitting in the middle of a hotspot. :sigh:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Played it already, Candy Box was better. :colbert:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Played it already, Candy Box was better. :colbert:

Having finally finished it, I have to agree. It was even a better ending!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Occult Chronicles is properly released now!

Also there is a demo version you can download from the site so you can see what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is there any interest in having a Rogue Legacy thread? We don't seem to have and I wouldn't want to talk about it here because it's very clearly not a roguelike at all (Please don't argue that it is because then the term will have totally lost all meaning).

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 22, 2013