Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Xander77 posted:

The amoeba spawner in D6 was the game version of that.

I kinda want to do an LP of this, but turning on Fraps grinds the game to a halt (GeForce 680, Intel Core 3.30 ghz, 4 gb ram). Anything to be done (besides turning down the graphics quality, which didn't help much)?

Lower your resolution down some? Turn off physx and maybe tessellation and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Xander77 posted:

The amoeba spawner in D6 was the game version of that.

I kinda want to do an LP of this, but turning on Fraps grinds the game to a halt (GeForce 680, Intel Core 3.30 ghz, 4 gb ram). Anything to be done (besides turning down the graphics quality, which didn't help much)?

Also, make sure you record to a separate hard drive than the one the game is running off of. This makes a world of difference.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Great news, everyone. The Metro brand is great and DS feels great about acquiring it and everything is great and... the franchise is also way too complicated for those filthy casuals.

quote:

"It's been a positive experience," he said. "I'm very glad we acquired that brand. While it launched in a very dry space in the gaming calendar this year, it still got a lot of attention. Our ambition is to absolutely continue with that brand and we will also, in the next phase, look to making it more accessible for a broader gamer audience."

Because if there's one complaint that fans of Metro 2033 had with the sequel, it's that they upped the difficulty/complexity far beyond what was warranted. :yaycloud:

As to what any of this actually means is debatable, as 4A's next project isn't a Metro project, so... who knows.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet but the Tower Pack DLC just dropped on the PC. Single player challenge maps. I can't even beat the first one. Hope you like killing loads of guys with unupgraded weapons!

e: The trick to this apparently is that the first bullet fired from the Kalash is perfectly accurate. You only get MGR for headshots, "distance kills" and multikills.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 4, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well, if you really hated the Reich mission in the first DLC pack, you're sure to hate this entire DLC!

I mean, I kind of felt like the point of the Ranger difficulties is that you're _supposed_ to have no chance against 20 enemies and so you have to play smart/stealthily to avoid such situations in the first place. And if you turn the difficulty way down, then it's pretty much 'CoD: Horde Mode' with Russian accents. But to be fair, I guess I find challenge maps/horde maps terribly uninspired to begin with.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Leb posted:

Well, if you really hated the Reich mission in the first DLC pack, you're sure to hate this entire DLC!

They kept talking in interviews about how they wanted to give the player environments in which they could let loose with weapons without worrying about a Good Ending, but the minigun just isn't fun and the shooting gameplay works best as part of the whole game :(

At least this one isn't a shooting gallery?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are the nosalis that can fire sonic bursts that stunlock you and knock you out of healing new? They're also nearly invincible, sixty AK shots and some duplets wouldn't take one down. This whole dlc is kind of poo poo. What else is there besides "human" and "nosalis" in here? I don't think I'm going to get all the way through.

e: Actually it's weird. Since when do nosalis die in one revolver shot?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 4, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hit them in the right spot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a way to get everyone to speak Russian? The Misery mod for Stalker got me strangely comfortable with zero English.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sure can, but the only way to do it is from the main menu screen, you can't do it while playing a loaded game. Just quit to the main menu and go Options> Game Options> Voice Language.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I am willing to bet it's a limitation of my aging gpu but when firing some weapons (silenced Bastard for example) I get 'ripple' effects on my screen. Other weapons don't create this so I presume it's supposed to be some sort of visual effect for certain guns but on my screen it's just a concentric ripple. Atop that the fire/heat effects are just... crazy overdone.

Running an 8800GT 512mb gpu, I suppose I need to ry and lower my settings or something? I turned physx down to low from the get-go but I just can't seem to really find any answers (given, I've been up all night).

You can notice it there along the bars most evidently. Any word on what can just turn those effects off? They're not game breaking but they sure are distracting.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hey I just bought this on the steam sale and thus far I'm enjoying it quite a bit but I was wondering, what's the general consensus on the various DLC? I've already got the RPK since lack of weapons in the first game was one of my few criticisms but now I'm kind of weighing my options between buying te other stuff (ranger mode, factions, tower) or just buying the pre-order for that new Amnesia game. You guys think any of them are worth it? $5 isn't terrible and for what it's worth I kind of like challenge maps...

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Syrant posted:

I am willing to bet it's a limitation of my aging gpu but when firing some weapons (silenced Bastard for example) I get 'ripple' effects on my screen. Other weapons don't create this so I presume it's supposed to be some sort of visual effect for certain guns but on my screen it's just a concentric ripple. Atop that the fire/heat effects are just... crazy overdone.

Running an 8800GT 512mb gpu, I suppose I need to ry and lower my settings or something? I turned physx down to low from the get-go but I just can't seem to really find any answers (given, I've been up all night).

You can notice it there along the bars most evidently. Any word on what can just turn those effects off? They're not game breaking but they sure are distracting.

I get the same effect running near-minimum settings, it's only annoying at first but becomes outright obstructive if you have to fire on full auto for more than 1 second. I've read that changing the rendering to DX9 will remove it. This is the method for making it run in DX9

EDIT: This doesn't actually fix the problem :doh: but it does run a bit faster.

AgentJR fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 9, 2013

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Hey, I appreciate the gesture in any case.

Edit: It does seem as if the DX9 trick worked. Thank you for letting me know about it.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 10, 2013

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I bought a new computer recently and got back into PC gaming after, uh, seven or eight years? and the first thing I did was play both Bioshock Infinite and Metro: Last Light which I thought were the highest regarded recent FPS games right now. Bioshock Infinite turned out to be a piece of crap with gameplay that felt like I was transported back 10 years before FPS games had progressed in any way (though it had nice atmosphere!), but man, Metro Last Light was really loving great. They basically managed to fix all complaints I had about the first game and made a first person shooter that I really really enjoyed, which I don't think has happened since the original Halo game on Xbox. The atmosphere was loving amazing and gave me serious flashbacks to my army days, walking on logs through a wet and bleak area and it always felt like the logs would just loving sink into the water and I had to keep wiping away grime off my gas mask (which had a sound effect that makes me believe they actually recorded someone wiping a gas mask). Only thing different from real life is that I never had to worry about horrible mutants dragging me into the water and eating me alive :v:

Guns felt a lot better this time around and there was a lot more variety, plus stealth worked this time around and was really fun to do. Taking out a group of three people by blowing out a lantern behind them, then throwing a knife into the back of one, shooting another in the head with a silenced gun and emptying the clip into the last guy before he had time to yell was super cool. There were also a lot of fantastic setpieces and the spiders and shadow people creeped me out at points and made me wish there was more of the horror aspect in here. Storyline was great too and I really liked Pavel and Khan as characters.

Only thing I was weirded out about though was that I somehow got the 'bad' ending, even though I knocked out or evaded roughly 90% of all enemies where it was possible to do so, even tried to sneak past mutants whenever possible and scoured all areas until there was nothing left, gave money to the homeless and toys to children and did not kill even the worst assholes in the game, yet it still wasn't enough? Regardless, I did like the ending a lot and it made me :unsmith: super hard. I can only hope for a sequel that is somehow even better. Maybe make normal difficulty a bit tougher, I mean it is of course my fault for picking it but it's hard to imagine anyone feels threatened by low supplies since I had all ammo full most of the time and the last 1/3 of the game was spent with nearly a full hour worth of filters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The developer pack DLC has been released today, if anyone didn't notice.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I did. I'm definitely going to buy that, if only so I can ooh and aaah in the museum. Still hoping someone will eventually answer my last post where I asked if any of the other DLC is worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The faction pack was ok, and worth it if only for the Library mission, I didn't like the tower pack though. I only got to the second area before I gave up. So far the developer pack seems good though. The spider mission seems like an extended one from the base game, and I like the small touch of how you barely avoid drowning because your gear is too heavy.

e: The spider mission is really fun! It's you, an ashot, and a flamethrower against a hundred spiders in a nuclear silo. The shooting gallery and arena aren't bad either; both have a set of 10 challenges for you to try.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 18, 2013

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Loaded up the Dev pack. Now I haven't had time to play the DLCs much with school and such, but where the heck did these new guns come from? The volt-driver alone is awesome, but this bicycle shotgun contraption is a whole new level.

Edit: Holy crap the idle animation is ringing the bicycle bell.

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 18, 2013

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Last Light is now playable under OS X, port done by 4A themselves. Linux port to follow. These guys are cool.

Also, from the Amazon deals thread:

AmazonTony posted:

FYI the Metro Franchise bundle is live:

Metro Franchise Bundle: $19.99 contains:

Metro 2033
Metro Last Light
Metro Last Light: Ranger Mode DLC
Metro Last Light: RPK Weapon DLC

Enjoy!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

v1ld posted:

Also, from the Amazon deals thread:

Just keep in mind that the amazon keys are region locked to the USA because Deep Silver is a fan of region locking I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anyone's still keeping tabs on the thread, the Chronicles DLC pack just released on Steam. Three missions about Anna, Pavel, and Khan.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Scyron posted:

If this game was mod-able I would love to try and do a photography type game out of it. I anytime something happened (set piece or vista view) I mashed my screenshot button a million times and still not satisfied with some of the results.
A Fatal Frame/Metro hybrid where you document the ghosts of the Metro... a man can dream.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm having way too much fun in the shooting gallery, the weapons in this game are just so well-done, in terms of their animations, and just how they "feel". Not just satisfying, like, say, the Valve, but stuff like when you put an autofire mod on the Lolife and it handles like the dumbest piece of poo poo ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just tried the first of the Chronicles missions- Pavel's, which is a properly nice sneak through a fairly large Nazi base. Nothing too surprising, but sneaking/stabbing/shooting is the best part of the game, so having more of it to do is nice.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm having way too much fun in the shooting gallery, the weapons in this game are just so well-done, in terms of their animations, and just how they "feel". Not just satisfying, like, say, the Valve, but stuff like when you put an autofire mod on the Lolife and it handles like the dumbest piece of poo poo ever.

What is the shooting gallery exactly? Just a big firing range where you have access to every weapon and infinite ammo?

Anyone want to weigh in on the rest of the Chronicle DLC while you're at it?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Just tried the first of the Chronicles missions- Pavel's, which is a properly nice sneak through a fairly large Nazi base. Nothing too surprising, but sneaking/stabbing/shooting is the best part of the game, so having more of it to do is nice.

Pavel's is the weakest one, and even his is pretty good. I think this is probably the strongest of the DLC's, but I never cared for the game's combat. With the exception of the Library mission from the Faction pack, these are the best the season pass has to offer.

Also, for those that like the supernatural stuff of the Metro series, get ready for a big rear end dose of it with Kahn's mission.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blue Raider posted:

Pavel's is the weakest one, and even his is pretty good. I think this is probably the strongest of the DLC's, but I never cared for the game's combat. With the exception of the Library mission from the Faction pack, these are the best the season pass has to offer.

Also, for those that like the supernatural stuff of the Metro series, get ready for a big rear end dose of it with Kahn's mission.

I'd say Anna's is the weakest, sniping's a little dull, it doesn't really show much new, and it's the shortest of the three. Pavel's is definitely the best, especially with how deprived you are for most of it. The Chronicles pack is the best of the dlc, but I think the Library is the best thing in the whole game right now.

Is there going to be more dlc down the line? The patch that was released earlier seemed to imply it, unless it just meant support for Chronicles.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd say Anna's is the weakest, sniping's a little dull, it doesn't really show much new, and it's the shortest of the three. Pavel's is definitely the best, especially with how deprived you are for most of it. The Chronicles pack is the best of the dlc, but I think the Library is the best thing in the whole game right now.

Is there going to be more dlc down the line? The patch that was released earlier seemed to imply it, unless it just meant support for Chronicles.

Yeah, I can see that. To me, there wasn't enough in Pavel's to separate it from any given area of the game, but they're all pretty good. I agree with the Library being the best thing, but it's weighed down by the other two parts of the Faction pack. Anyway, I thought the Kahn section was entertaining as hell.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, Anna's is weirdly short. I really liked it when it was going- there wasn't enough combat against humans outdoors in the main game, and it was properly tense, but it was seriously like, ten minutes long.

Khan's, too, was strong, though, it seemed to end abruptly. Not that it was short, just that it was just like, over.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fennesz posted:

What is the shooting gallery exactly? Just a big firing range where you have access to every weapon and infinite ammo?

Anyone want to weigh in on the rest of the Chronicle DLC while you're at it?

Yeah, that's exactly what it is, though you can spawn in enemies, and do challenges that progressively get harder.

Chronicle DLC: Two of the three missions are as good as the better missions in the base game, and the third (Anna's) isn't bad, it's just really short. Worth getting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best thing about Anna's mission is it confirms Artyom communicates entirely through gestures and no one finds that odd. :v:

e: I never did manage to beat the second level of the Tower dlc. Does anything plot related ever pop up in it?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Khan's, too, was strong, though, it seemed to end abruptly. Not that it was short, just that it was just like, over.

This is my problem with all of the DLC I've played for Last Light thus far. It's really, really good for the duration and then suddenly it's over. I feel like they should have rolled out one or two stories in this amount of time, flushed out the Library a lot and should have wrapped it up there. Not this four DLC packs with three or four missions a piece. It's pretty clear the team took on too much and didn't have enough time.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Finally about to sit down and play through the DLC since the only one I've touched before now was the developer pack.

On an unrelated note, could any goons with higher-end computers tell me if they get a weird kind of distortion effect at the end of their gun when firing? I can only play on the lower graphics settings because my gaming laptop's going on 4 years old now but whenever I fire I get this really noticeable blurring at the barrel of my gun, even when firing down the sights. I think it might be that it's meant to be a heat distortion thing and that it would look really nice on higher settings but for me it's really rectangular and makes reflexive aiming almost impossible. So do you guys get that to or is this some weird video card glitch I should be looking into?

Edit: Nvm, fiddling about with the graphical settings seems to have fixed it completely. That was really weird...

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 17, 2013

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Playing 2033 for the first time, I'm guessing there's no way to get the random chit-chat translated to English subtitles? I wanted to use the Russian voices for MY IMMERSION, but if a lot of lines aren't subbed then I guess I'll have to switch back to English.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

folgore posted:

Playing 2033 for the first time, I'm guessing there's no way to get the random chit-chat translated to English subtitles? I wanted to use the Russian voices for MY IMMERSION, but if a lot of lines aren't subbed then I guess I'll have to switch back to English.

Sadly, there's no way of doing it.
In some ways, not understanding what they're saying added to my immersion, but I also played it through a second time in English to see what they were saying.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fennesz posted:

This is my problem with all of the DLC I've played for Last Light thus far. It's really, really good for the duration and then suddenly it's over. I feel like they should have rolled out one or two stories in this amount of time, flushed out the Library a lot and should have wrapped it up there. Not this four DLC packs with three or four missions a piece. It's pretty clear the team took on too much and didn't have enough time.

I felt like they tried too hard by offering a season pass. They should have done just two big packs or something like that. More detailed, longer, etc.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I had a Metro 2033 question, since I could find the original thread on the game here. Perhaps this same question applies to Metro: Last Light.

What's the ideal difficulty to play Metro 2033 at? I was thinking either Hardcore or Ranger Easy, as I want to see the HUD.

The trade-off seems between two gameplay risks: in Hardcore, running into an enemy that is too tough to kill in a reasonable fashion (i.e. big bullet sink), or with Ranger Easy, getting killed quickly by being caught-off guard due to the increased enemy damage.

I'm using this page for the difficulty reference:
http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulties

When I played the STALKER series I liked being pack-rat and accumulating a lot of stuff, though I know the gameplay is different in the Metro series.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Ranger easy does not have the hud but I felt it was the perfect "medium-hard" intermediate of the game. Not super hard, but the lack of hud does provide a good sense of immersion while being not terrible hard or easy with gunplay. If you really depend on the HUD for games, then maybe Hard normal mode would be better?

your ammo capacity is quite limited. I always was selling shotgun and revolver ammo, for premium bullets. I only used dirty SMG while being fine for most of the game. Hoarding just leads to less picking up loot due to space limitation.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

nnnotime posted:

The trade-off seems between two gameplay risks: in Hardcore, running into an enemy that is too tough to kill in a reasonable fashion (i.e. big bullet sink), or with Ranger Easy, getting killed quickly by being caught-off guard due to the increased enemy damage.

I don't believe this is how the Metro games do difficulty. The harder you make it the more damage weapons do, period. That means while you'll take more damage, so will your enemies.

• Locked thread