Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Atmus posted:

I'm working on it. It's more of a hassle than I expected it to be though.

Sorry if I came across like an rear end, but it was ultra-easy for me and assumed that was the typical way it happens. Maybe the demand for the STs has something to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

This dude wants everyone to be aware of what he drives

From that exact angle the racing stripes don't look half bad. Most of the time they are horrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laranzu posted:

From that exact angle the racing stripes don't look half bad. Most of the time they are horrible.

It's the giant ST on the hood that looks like poo poo.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Thats a handicapped spot too isn't it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Thats a handicapped spot too isn't it.

It has a handicapped plate. Those stripes are a recent addition.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

It's the giant ST on the hood that looks like poo poo.

I wasn't disagreeing about that fact. Just the stripe looks pretty good from that exact angle/lighting level.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laranzu posted:

I wasn't disagreeing about that fact. Just the stripe looks pretty good from that exact angle/lighting level.

They stop at the back of the roof so it looks kind of half assed.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
The driver can't turn his head around that far. Out of sight, out of mind..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude's got braces and crutches. I talked to him once, driving is the only thing he can do that he enjoys. Shame he made the car ugly.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
So for my first car, Im thinking about getting a Mazda3 hatch and throwing some mods in there like a bigger air intake. It doesnt have to be super "hot" or fly past the billion WRXs I see on the road in my area, but the insurance cant be any where near close to an actual Mazdaspeed3. Being a young male, insurance is by far the biggest bitch. So would this be a good move? And if so, what are some other mods I can do to increase pep and handling without breaking the monthly bank?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Sorry if I came across like an rear end, but it was ultra-easy for me and assumed that was the typical way it happens. Maybe the demand for the STs has something to do with it?

You weren't an rear end (or maybe you were, but I wasn't being defensive about it). This will be the first new car I've bought and for some reason I thought "Hey, find me this exact car, pronto!" would be work flawlessly and instantaneously. I am really curious though as to if the base model ST's were really popular and all sold out, or if there weren't many of them ordered because everyone must have fancy seats and mood lighting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Will it spoil me posted:

So for my first car, Im thinking about getting a Mazda3 hatch and throwing some mods in there like a bigger air intake. It doesnt have to be super "hot" or fly past the billion WRXs I see on the road in my area, but the insurance cant be any where near close to an actual Mazdaspeed3. Being a young male, insurance is by far the biggest bitch. So would this be a good move? And if so, what are some other mods I can do to increase pep and handling without breaking the monthly bank?

gently caress mods: Drive it. Go find the local autocross chapter and run the poo poo out of it in H Stock.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rhyno posted:

Dude's got braces and crutches. I talked to him once, driving is the only thing he can do that he enjoys. Shame he made the car ugly.

gently caress it, he can do whatever he wants with it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Will it spoil me posted:

My quote on the ST was shockingly decent, have you shopped quotes yet? By the time you drop some money on mods that don't really do much, you will be in ms3 territory already. Unless insurance is really that bad (thousands per year more), I don't see the point. Spend a bunch of money to destroy your resale value for little gain instead of buying the car you actually want seems silly.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Phone posted:

gently caress mods: Drive it. Go find the local autocross chapter and run the poo poo out of it in H Stock.

This is pretty much the best advice to "what mods should I get". Drive your car a bit, you will find the answers you seek.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Phone posted:

Black Is Black posted:

This is pretty much the best advice to "what mods should I get". Drive your car a bit, you will find the answers you seek.

Agreed, unless your car comes with lovely all-seasons. A set of nice summers will turn it into a different car.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Ughgh, they bumped the 2015 Golf R to 300hp, added a bunch of little improvements like finally an ESC-off option, etc and a DSG option - looks like I'm trading in my 2013 GLI sooner than expected.

mik fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 20, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Don't count on DSG coming to North America.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mik posted:

Ughgh, they bumped the 2015 Golf R to 300hp, added a bunch of little improvements like finally an ESC-off option, etc and a DSG option - looks like I'm trading in my 2013 GLI sooner than expected.

I kinda plan on doing that for the new R as well, whenever we get it. Do we know if NA Rs are going to be built in Mexico like the rumors say?

EDIT
Yep
http://blog.caranddriver.com/u-s-bound-volkswagen-mkvii-golfs-will-be-made-in-mexico/

Although I suppose we don't know for sure if we're going to get the new Golf R just yet.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 21, 2013

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

mik posted:

Don't we already have an ESC-defeat via VCDS? You modify the long-coding of the ABS Brakes module - change byte 7 from 00 to 80, and byte 15 from 00 to 01. This restores RoW behaviour to the OFF button behind our shift knob (press and hold, it will beep once for ASR, keep holding it and it will beep a second time on disabling ESC.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't count on DSG coming to North America.

Who knows - R-level Golfs have come to the US with DSG before, and now that they're MIM they may be able to save enough to make the option worth it.

Plus, there's no more A3 hatch to cannibalize.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Will it spoil me posted:

Have you actually gotten quotes? Shop around a little, what pushed me into getting a Speed3 over a normal 3 was that it was somehow cheaper to insure than a regular 3. I don't know how or why, but I made them double check like 3 or 4 times while I was going through the rest of the buying process because I didn't believe it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Viper915 posted:

Have you actually gotten quotes? Shop around a little, what pushed me into getting a Speed3 over a normal 3 was that it was somehow cheaper to insure than a regular 3. I don't know how or why, but I made them double check like 3 or 4 times while I was going through the rest of the buying process because I didn't believe it.

Yeah I was shocked when I got my MS3 to replace the regular Mazda 3 I had.

Ended up being a difference of like $10/year

Strangely enough my insurance renewal just came in, and it doesn't have anything filled in for engine size/cylinders etc, Not going to complain!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sappo569 posted:

Yeah I was shocked when I got my MS3 to replace the regular Mazda 3 I had.

Ended up being a difference of like $10/year

Strangely enough my insurance renewal just came in, and it doesn't have anything filled in for engine size/cylinders etc, Not going to complain!

Maybe it's the going exchange for the Mazda curse. I certainly didn't get a lower insurance rate with my car

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Well, I bought an ST today. Now to A: Learn how to drive something that's not a 30 year old F-series, B: Read the drat manual so I know how anything works on it, and C: Get a cell phone since apparantly you need one for like half of the cool stuff.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I've been considering getting a WRX and for the sake of knowledge I went out to test drive a Speed3 and a Focus ST today..

Overall Trip Report:

The Mazda dealer had a few different Speed3's in stock, they look like they had been the for loving ever (state inspection due in 2 months on anew car? been sitting for 10 months) window sticker was completely faded out from blue to white. I didn't even test drive it because the interior looked pretty underwhelming and I didn't like the psychedelic red dot pattern on the interior inserts for the seats and doors....

As for the Ford Focus ST... I test drove a completely loaded one with moon roof, gun metal grey wheels, and the swanky Recaro seats (black, no color inserts). I'll break it out into the Pros and Cons from my experience..

Cons:

I could barely fit into the passenger seat, it was set way to high and I couldn't decipher the controls in the short drive up from the lot to the main building to make it any lower (if it even can go lower).

In the passenger seat I felt like I was trapped in a coffin, even with the seat slid back a reasonable distance the dash was all up in my business and it was awkward.

I had a hard time getting back out of the passenger seat because of the height and I was hitting my head on the ceiling (thanks moon-roof).

The back seats had better head room because the moon-roof track didn't extend that far back but because of the way the belt line of the car slops upwards and the roof slopes down there is really poor (relatively speaking) visibility for your backseat passengers.

While driving even with the seat set to its lowest my hair was still rubbing on the roof of the car.

Overall the car seemed overly small/cramped and I'm an average build guy at 5'11", my GF was not a fan of the Recaro seats due to the formed sections of the seat that support your torso restricting her elbows and lower bicep because of how far forward they wrapped on her (shes ~5'0").

Pros:

Car handled well, no visibility issues with the mirrors or forward visibility (A pillars and stuff). Transmission was solid and it definitely had power. Main point was price, if you want to get one a base model car starts off around 24k MSRP and you can shave quite a bit off with dealer incentives and haggling if truecar is believable.

Meh:

Not a fan of the Sony sync package thing (don't care for the touch screen), or the steering wheel controls (maybe I'm an old man on the inside and don't care about the 50 different information screens).. but that is a personal preference.

Overall:
Seemed like a solid car and might have been something I'd consider buying if I were a smaller (shorter) person.

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 25, 2013

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My '14 Focus ST is on its way from North Carolina, I can take delivery Tuesday when I get back from Labor Day shenanigans.

Holy poo poo I'm excited.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Tirerack has Blizzak lm60 tires 225/40/18 on closeout. Fits on stock rims. 600 Bux with a 50 dollar mail in too. I had luck getting the local Firestone to match it.

Good reviews for a winter tire.

Edit: ws60s went on closeout too

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 29, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Holy crap. Went to a meet at our local performance parts supplier for the ST world. Got convinced to buy an Accessport. Went to the Stage 1 91 Octane V104 off the shelf Cobb Map.

Was grinning the entire time. It changes the car into an entirely different beast. Thrust is more like my old Speed6. Throttle response is very tight. Turbo utilized better. Go get an AP if you don't have one yet.

Edit: weirdly better gas mileage too so far.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 31, 2013

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I wish I could afford the Accessport, it's incredibly beneficial: better mileage, performance, even has launch control. Unfortunately the next purchase for my ST are all terrains and some mudflaps. Next year I'd like to slap on an exhaust system and get the AP.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

I wish I could afford the Accessport, it's incredibly beneficial: better mileage, performance, even has launch control. Unfortunately the next purchase for my ST are all terrains and some mudflaps. Next year I'd like to slap on an exhaust system and get the AP.

All terrains or all seasons? When I think All-terrain, I think knobby Jeep tires.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Sockington posted:

All terrains or all seasons? When I think All-terrain, I think knobby Jeep tires.

Ha ha my phone corrected it to terrains. Honestly rallying out the ST would be pretty fun and badass looking with floppy mudflaps and knobby tires.

But yes, all seasons. Either the Continental DWS or Michelins. My dealership actually sent out a bunch of coupons saying they'll match the price of tires and install them. Might take them up on that with the Tire Rack price.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I feel sort of let down now. You're going to have to make up for it by putting studded winters on.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpaceBanditos posted:

Overall the car seemed overly small/cramped and I'm an average build guy at 5'11"

Seemed like a solid car and might have been something I'd consider buying if I were a smaller (shorter) person.

:confused: How much do you weigh? I'm 5'10, 165 and had 0 problems fitting in the ST I sat in.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Residency Evil posted:

:confused: How much do you weigh? I'm 5'10, 165 and had 0 problems fitting in the ST I sat in.

~220, so I know I can stand to lose some weight but that shouldn't have anything to do with my head rubbing the ceiling?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Did you move the seat all the way up? I'm 6 even 172lbs and have an st3 with moonroof. I'm nowhere near the ceiling.

Maybe you have a freakishly long torso.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Could be, I had the seat at the position that was most comfortable for me to operate the clutch but it wasn't like I had my knees buried in the dash.. Maybe I'm a weirdo who is more ape than man.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

SpaceBanditos posted:

Could be, I had the seat at the position that was most comfortable for me to operate the clutch but it wasn't like I had my knees buried in the dash.. Maybe I'm a weirdo who is more ape than man.

The seat pumps up and down too.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
The model I drove had power seats, I had it set as low as it would go. I'm just awkwardly proportioned I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
This is more a question for Euro goons, does anybody have experience with Clio 172's? I've been window-shopping a few that are in my price range, are there any common faults or issues with them? I've been thinking about a 172 Cup because I don't give a gently caress about air-con etc. and apparently it makes timing belt changes etc. much easier.

How's the driving position for a larger guy? I'm 6'5" with ~ a 36" inseam so I'm used to cramming myself into cars (I can just about drive an MX-5), will I have any particular issues?

I am seriously smitten with these stupid little cars. :allears: