Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So is there anything out yet that's: HD5000 or HD5100 (or if not, HD4600), IPS screen and does not come with a dedicated graphics card? Or are we still stuck waiting for T440 and hoping it has an IPS option?

Brut fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness
Bought myself an MSI GT-60 two weeks ago to replace my desktop / do some light gaming. I have to say, I love it. Performance wise I've been very impressed with it, I haven't noticed any heat problems, it's been up to every task I've put it to so far. Construction wise it seems very well made, although it's fairly heavy at 7.7lbs (but it's a gaming laptop, so I expected that). Battery life seems to be fairly good, I played FF12 on epcsx2 in bed for several hours the other night and had plenty of battery charge left by the time I went to sleep. It's fairly expensive, but the hardware on it is top notch. Looking at the specs on Alienware systems, I'd guess it would outperform any of them.

CPU: 4th Generation Intel® CoreTM i7-4900MQ Processor, 2.8 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.8GHz), 8MB Smart Cache,
GPU: 4GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M,
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz System Memory (2 DIMMS) - 4 Memory Slots
HARD DRIVE: 128GB MSI SSD + 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive,
OPTICAL DRIVE: Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
DISPLAY: 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Antiglare,

I bought it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DS33VYI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Hadlock posted:

If you can wait till mid september you can get a 1080p T440s for about $800.

I wrote this down on a Post It and stuck it to my monitor. Just three more weeks.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Hey guys, I read through the first and last few pages of the thread, but it's a bit of firehose drinking, and I'm hoping you can help me narrow things down considerably.

I'm looking for a new laptop primarily for work. I'm currently on an HP DV4, so pretty much anything will be better.

I alternate days working out of the office and home, so I take the laptop home each night, but I typically use it like a desktop - plugged in and not on my lap. I sometimes travel with it as well, but not frequently,so I value performance over weight and battery life.

I want a 14-15" screen, loads of RAM (Unless it's a better deal to buy it up front, I would get the min and add in aftermarket), a good sized SSD (I don't need tons of space), high end CPU, and decent GPU (I may be doing some CAD type work, and playing the occasional game on it). I use it with an extra screen both at home and the office, consistently have 4000 tabs open in firefox along with multiple reference documents, various embedded program IDEs, and schematic capture/PCB layout tools. I don't typically do any graphics work, though I may edit HD (GoPro) video from time to time. Touchscreens and other features would be nice, but not essential. An inexpensive docking station would also be nice so I could have one at home and the office and not need to plug a dozen cords in every time I switch locations.

Is the Thinkpad line my best bet, or should I also look at other Lenovo? Other brands that may be a good fit? I'm open to just about anything other than a Mac (I need windows and have no use for OSX). I don't really have a budget, but keeping it under $1500 is probably my best bet at getting it approved and paid for by work. I may be able to push that if I have a really good reason why.

Whew, typed more than I planned to. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 19, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Brannock posted:

I'm going to be starting school to finish a degree in CS in a couple weeks. I've been eyeing the y410p from Lenovo but honestly, my desktop is more than beefy enough to handle pretty much all my needs, so the y410p seems a little bit overkill.

I value battery life, weight, and price. Don't care one bit about gaming capability - or at least, capability to play games made this decade. If I want to game I can just come home and sit at my desk. I also don't really care too much about disk storage space, and don't need a SSD. Pretty much all I want from my laptop is so I can do homework on campus without having to resort to a computer lab. It needs to be able to compile, crunch large amounts of data, and handle 3D graphics no problem. Expected lifespan is ~2.5 years.

Are there any other laptops I should be looking at, or should I go ahead and grab the Y410p? I was thinking about getting one of those but I wasn't sure if they'd meet my computing requirements. Does an Intel i3 still cut it those days? The 4-cell battery on the Thinkpad also concerns me.

I was also thinking about a Chromebook like some people mentioned upthread, but I don't know if they'll have enough muscle for what I'll need out of it for the next four semesters.

The Chromebook sounds perfect for you. How much muscle do you think you'll need? Are we talking more than 500GB of data at a time, lots of graphic design, what? There's probably a good chance that your school has online computing resources that you can access from your Chromebook if you're worried that it won't be a good enough number cruncher.

Brut posted:

So is there anything out yet that's: HD5000 or HD5100 (or if not, HD4600), IPS screen and does not come with a dedicated graphics card? Or are we still stuck waiting for T440 and hoping it has an IPS option?

Pretty much, yes. Everyone who wants an HD5000+ with an IPS screen just has to wait

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 19, 2013

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty much, yes. Everyone who wants an HD5000+ with an IPS screen just has to wait

The Sager NP2740 has the HD5200 and an IPS screen. Only has a 4cell battery though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Superterranean posted:

The Sager NP2740 has the HD5200 and an IPS screen. Only has a 4cell battery though.

And it's $1200, which is a little crazy.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

oneof27 posted:

I wrote this down on a Post It and stuck it to my monitor. Just three more weeks.

Most computers now have programs that will simulate this very thing, but I don't use them either. Monitor post-its are forever.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Anyone? Picking a laptop is hard :(

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Third one's gone. First two seem interchangeable to me, except for the SSD and the extra 2GB RAM on the Inspiron; those two make the extra 20 quid worth it, don't they?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Are they actually good, though? I'd like to be able to play some games, not necessarily brand new ones though. There are so many models available :(

e: This seems pretty good, it has a decent processor and integrated graphics for just under £500.

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 19, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Probook is basically an HP-Branded T410 or T420, comes with the trackpoint and everything. Good call.

The Dell is a piece of consumer trash. Pass.

The Toshiba is about on par with the Dell, but has a numpad if you do stuff like WoW or flight sims where those extra 17 keys will be of some use. Personally off-center trackpads and the compromises they make to fix 101 keys on a device designed for 88 drive me bonkers. You may be an accountant though, who knows.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Infinite Monkeys posted:

If you're going to get something with a garbage screen, why don't you at least get something with a decent everything else, like a T430? I know you mentioned it before. I don't think anything you're looking at is going to have a better screen and since they'll all have the same terrible resolution, you may as well go with a 14" rather than a 15.6".

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

If you're going to get something with a garbage screen, why don't you at least get something with a decent everything else, like a T430? I know you mentioned it before. I don't think anything you're looking at is going to have a better screen and since they'll all have the same terrible resolution, you may as well go with a 14" rather than a 15.6".
Well what is there that does have a better screen? I've spent hours looking and every laptop I've found has been that resolution.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Well what is there that does have a better screen? I've spent hours looking and every laptop I've found has been that resolution.

I expect they'll all be quite a bit more expensive, unfortunately. In the U.S., you can start getting really nice 1920x1080 IPS screens for maybe $900 or so in 13-14" laptops. For a normal TN panel with a better resolution, it isn't much more than the kinds of bottom barrel stuff you're finding, maybe $600-700 for a 14-15" 1600x900 or 1920x1080. But if the upgraded screen on a T430 is too much, those might also be out of your price range. And that's not the end of the world! I just meant that if you're already having to sacrifice screen quality, you should try to make sure the build quality and other factors are as good as possible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If it's not a Haswell do not buy it unless it's like 40% off what you can usually buy it for. Seriously wait 2 weeks or whatever. Nobody should be buying a laptop right now if they can help it.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

I am starting university on the 22nd of next month, will they be out by then?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

So I'm starting grad school in a week for a M.S in urban planning. I've got a pretty solid desktop but being that I have to drive an hour to get to my classes, I'm intent to hang out for a bit and get work done while I'm there, as well as do some work on lunch breaks at work.

My budget's $600-700 with some room to go higher if it's a good deal. I mainly plan to use it for school work and maybe to goof off with movies or games that aren't too resource intensive. Overall, though, I intend to use it for some design work, most likely InDesign or LightRoom, but definitely ArcGIS. The minimum system requirements for it are at http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/system-requirements/10.2/index.html

The minimum requirements don't seem too bad, but I also want something that isn't ground to a complete halt while working. I can wait a few weeks if prices are expected to drop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To run Sim City Pro you're probably going to want much better than the minimum 1024x768 suggested. You can get a T530 with 1080p screen for $824.25. I wouldn't go much lower than 1600x900 unless someone twists your arm. 1366x768 doesn't really lend itself well to content creation, the toolbars end up taking > 10% of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KhfBWXNRNY

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Someone asked about external GPU's a few pages back and got unfairly shot down. DIY external GPU's are totally a thing and an option worth considering. Yes, even with just an ExpressCard port. You're looking at spending about ~$140+whatever you want to spend on a full-size desktop video card to able to have your cake and eat it too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Someone asked about external GPU's a few pages back and got unfairly shot down. DIY external GPU's are totally a thing and an option worth considering. Yes, even with just an ExpressCard port. You're looking at spending about ~$140+whatever you want to spend on a full-size desktop video card to able to have your cake and eat it too.

This is a stupid concept on its face; not only do you need to pay hundreds of dollars to do it, but you're going to be limited by whatever Frankenstein connection you're using to hook up your laptop to a video card on your desk, so the performance isn't going to be nearly as good as the equivalent desktop. Aren't all of these ePCIe solutions only 1x on top of that? For the same money you could probably just build a superior desktop

So yes, a solution exists, but it's still not something that you should ever do unless you're getting the equipment for free or something

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've seen these but I've yet to read about anyone laying down hard cash for one. I think they're pretty cool. The real world use case for such a device is so staggeringly small I think is the reason why you don't see Ratpadz or Republic of Gamers selling these things at Best Buy. The cost of one is roughly the same as a new PS4 and is about the same size, or refurbishing your desktop with more ram and a new video card. It's hard to justify the costs to the average user when there's better options out there.

Really if you need two external 1080p displays Toshiba makes (and I'm sure there's loads of rebranded devices using the same chipset) a USB 3.0 dock that does dual 1080p out with smooth video and gig-e, called the DynaDock U3.0 for about $130

Video jumps to the video part @ 17:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLibKZoIPEA&t=1038s

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 20, 2013

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

QuarkJets posted:

This is a stupid concept on its face; not only do you need to pay hundreds of dollars to do it, but you're going to be limited by whatever Frankenstein connection you're using to hook up your laptop to a video card on your desk, so the performance isn't going to be nearly as good as the equivalent desktop. [...] For the same money you could probably just build a superior desktop

Hadlock posted:

The cost of one is roughly the same as a new PS4 and is about the same size, or refurbishing your desktop with more ram and a new video card. It's hard to justify the costs to the average user when there's better options out there.
Of course the performance isn't as good as a desktop, that's not the point. It's an alternative to buying a hulking gaming laptop. eGPU's handily beat gaming laptops (at least in synthetic tests) because of the performance gulf between a full-size graphics card and a cut-down mobile card. The equipment cost is under $150 + a video card of your choice; you are not going to build a superior desktop for that amount of money. Comparing the performance increase gained via an eGPU to spending that amount on upgrading your desktop assumes the person has a desktop to upgrade.

So you can carry around your small & light laptop all day then go home, plug in your eGPU, and have greater gaming performance for less money than if you had bought a dedicated gaming laptop. Given how heavily small notebooks without discrete graphics are pimped in this thread, it's totally something for a goon with an x230 to consider.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

I did this for a little while. I wouldn't do it again. It was expensive, but it did work relatively well for what it was. It was mainly cool because I had a GPU duck-taped to the side of my desk.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jack of all trades, master of none

You're better off with a gaming rig and a netbook, the net/chromebook is $200 and you get the benefit of the desktop at home.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I thought people were exaggerating when they said Lenovo delivery takes a month.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
I got my new X230, and I want to upgrade the harddrive. How do I go about doing this? I have a Lenovo_Recovery partition on the stock harddrive, but where do I go from there? Do I plug both the HDD's on my desktop, make a partition on the SSD, and copy the Lenovo_recovery partition to it? Should I just install Windows 7 on the new SSD and only pick out certain programs/drivers I want to get rid of bloatware or am I likely to skip over installing something really important by doing it this way? Is there a really simple method that I'm not aware of?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Of course the performance isn't as good as a desktop, that's not the point. It's an alternative to buying a hulking gaming laptop. eGPU's handily beat gaming laptops (at least in synthetic tests) because of the performance gulf between a full-size graphics card and a cut-down mobile card. The equipment cost is under $150 + a video card of your choice; you are not going to build a superior desktop for that amount of money. Comparing the performance increase gained via an eGPU to spending that amount on upgrading your desktop assumes the person has a desktop to upgrade.

So you can carry around your small & light laptop all day then go home, plug in your eGPU, and have greater gaming performance for less money than if you had bought a dedicated gaming laptop. Given how heavily small notebooks without discrete graphics are pimped in this thread, it's totally something for a goon with an x230 to consider.

At PCIe x1 and what is effectively a beefed up USB cable, I would be surprised if this kind of setup with a consumer-level graphics card ($200 or less) achieved anything more than what is already possible with the HD5200. And don't forget to purchase a power supply and a monitor and :suicide:

And you absolutely could buy an equivalent-power desktop for the same cost. You're already purchasing a power supply and a monitor. A $200 video card running on this setup is going to be equivalent to a $50 video card on a normal desktop. That covers the cost of a CPU, motherboard, and RAM. The $150 external device more than covers the cost of a case and a hard drive. Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't be including the cost of a case since people are expected to just have a power supply and a video card sitting out on a desk?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I'm looking to buy a new computer for when I go to university this coming month, and it's a good thing I started looking now since Lenovo has this loving fantastic deal going on that's something around 38-40% off their Y series laptops that ends tomorrow. In any event, I was looking at the IdeaPad Y410p in particular.

I'm currently typing this up on a pisspoor dell Inspiron 15r, which has, no lie, literally failed requiring hardware replacement no less than 11 times in the past 3 years. So I'm hoping to get a good laptop that I'll not only be able to actually use, but one that's also reasonably durable. Looking at the tech specs it seems pretty good - the 4th generation intel cores are the haswell ones, right? I know you can't ever really 'proof' a laptop against the inexorable march of technological progress, but I do want a good computer that will last me at a few years. I'm not a super heavy PC gamer or anything either, but something other than piss-poor integrated graphics is a nice plus too.

My only concern with the Y410p is the lack of a SSD - I tried to see if I couldn't add one to the online order, but no luck. It's not really a big deal either which way though.

Anyway, my final specs are looking something like this:

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
14.0" HD+ Anti-Glare LED Backlit with integrated camera 1600x900
Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
1TB 5400 RPM
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Three year Warranty
Notebook

for a total price of $970 Canadian. That seems pretty good to me, especially since that's with a $500 discount, but is there anything incredibly obvious that I'm missing/loving up? Or, is there something in around the ~$1000 price range that'd be better?

I can wait a little while too if that'd be more preferable, but the 40% sale is really tempting too.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 20, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WarpZealot posted:

I got my new X230, and I want to upgrade the harddrive. How do I go about doing this? I have a Lenovo_Recovery partition on the stock harddrive, but where do I go from there? Do I plug both the HDD's on my desktop, make a partition on the SSD, and copy the Lenovo_recovery partition to it? Should I just install Windows 7 on the new SSD and only pick out certain programs/drivers I want to get rid of bloatware or am I likely to skip over installing something really important by doing it this way? Is there a really simple method that I'm not aware of?

Connect the new HD via USB dock and use Macrium Reflect (Free version) to clone the drive. I would not bother cloning the Lenovo partitions if you are going to keep the factory drive around for backup purposes. Resize 'C:' in Windows before cloning if the SSD is too small to hold it.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

The Iron Rose posted:

So I'm looking to buy a new computer for when I go to university this coming month, and it's a good thing I started looking now since Lenovo has this loving fantastic deal going on that's something around 38-40% off their Y series laptops that ends tomorrow. In any event, I was looking at the IdeaPad Y410p in particular.

I'm currently typing this up on a pisspoor dell Inspiron 15r, which has, no lie, literally failed requiring hardware replacement no less than 11 times in the past 3 years. So I'm hoping to get a good laptop that I'll not only be able to actually use, but one that's also reasonably durable. Looking at the tech specs it seems pretty good - the 4th generation intel cores are the haswell ones, right? I know you can't ever really 'proof' a laptop against the inexorable march of technological progress, but I do want a good computer that will last me at a few years. I'm not a super heavy PC gamer or anything either, but something other than piss-poor integrated graphics is a nice plus too.

My only concern with the Y410p is the lack of a SSD - I tried to see if I couldn't add one to the online order, but no luck. It's not really a big deal either which way though.

Anyway, my final specs are looking something like this:

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
14.0" HD+ Anti-Glare LED Backlit with integrated camera 1600x900
Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
1TB 5400 RPM
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Three year Warranty
Notebook

for a total price of $970 Canadian. That seems pretty good to me, especially since that's with a $500 discount, but is there anything incredibly obvious that I'm missing/loving up? Or, is there something in around the ~$1000 price range that'd be better?

I can wait a little while too if that'd be more preferable, but the 40% sale is really tempting too.

I've got one, I've had it for about a month so far and haven't had any problems. The track pad is sort of lovely though, so get a wireless mouse probably.

Oh yeah and since you're canadian it'll have the insufferable bilingual keyboard that almost made me send mine back. :quebec:

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
So I was looking for x240 rumors, since I want to buy one when it comes out, and found a link on a forum for this: http://www.hknotebook.com/nop/polyu-lenovo/pcs-info?pid=3

Maybe this is bullshit (apologies if it is) but if not, I'm not liking the changes. In this case, I'll prob just get an x230 and deal (I wanted to avoid the trackpad, but I think I'll live), or maybe an x1 carbon, or just a cheap netbook since I just want something to type on that won't fall apart in 2 weeks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are the changes?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
It's time to get a new laptop and I'm looking at the T430, I just want to check on some things to make sure if I bought this it would still be the right choice for me. I had an Ideapad Y550p before this so the experience I'm looking for with the laptop is to be good enough to run CS:Go or running Traktor smoothly.

I'm using the B&N link so here's the price and specs I picked.

X230 Option
-----
i5 - 3230M - 3.2ghz/3MB Cache/1600MHZ (Add $30 from baseline) [i][An 3320M would be 45$ more, would this help with processing for DJing? Traktor chugs away fairly hard)

Win 7 Home Premium (Baseline)
15.6" HD (1366 x 768) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready (Baseline)
NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory (Add 85)
4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM) (Baseline)
720p HD Camera with Microphone (Add 25)
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm (Baseline, I know a solid state is better but I can't afford it.)
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN (Add 10)

Total: $903.60 (948.60 with processor upgrade)

Or I could get the same thing in the T430 for 883.52$ ($923.12 with processor upgrade).

Those were just looking at thinkpads because of the praise in the OP. I went to Newegg to pick out specs and look for comparable laptops:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230987
ASUS A55VD-NS51 Intel Core i5 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 8 64-Bit
CPU Speed: 3230M(2.60GHz)
GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M
Optical Drive Type: DVD±R/RW
Chipset: Intel HM75
$549

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230987R
Open Box: ASUS A55VD-NS51 Intel Core i5 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 8 64-Bit
CPU Speed: 3230M(2.60GHz)
GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M
Chipset: Intel HM75
$467

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230416R
Open Box: ASUS U47VC-DS51 Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 750GB HDD 14.1" Notebook Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
CPU Speed: 3210M(2.50GHz)
GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M
Resolution: 1366 x 768
$617

Those last two are "Open Box" which I'm not positive what it means, (someone got it, opened it, and returned it?). I just need some help picking between these.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DoesNotCompute posted:

Oh yeah and since you're canadian it'll have the insufferable bilingual keyboard that almost made me send mine back. :quebec:

So what you're saying is that any laptop I buy will carry a premium for the shipping fee from my friend's house in the states to here, plus the bribe for that guy and a possible customs charge? Splendid.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Blowdryer posted:

It's time to get a new laptop and I'm looking at the T430
<snip>

As has been parroted in this thread a bunch in the last couple of weeks, if you are going to buy the T430 and can wait a few weeks, wait. The T440s is already officially "coming soon" on their website and the T440 should be around the corner.

flakeloaf posted:

So what you're saying is that any laptop I buy will carry a premium for the shipping fee from my friend's house in the states to here, plus the bribe for that guy and a possible customs charge? Splendid.

Or you can specify a US keyboard when you order.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Blowdryer posted:

Those last two are "Open Box" which I'm not positive what it means, (someone got it, opened it, and returned it?). I just need some help picking between these.
NewEgg open boxes are risky as gently caress.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

What are the changes?

Non-upgradable RAM (8gb max)
Not having a full voltage CPU
Says the battery life is 6 hours, but I think that's just inaccurate

Kinda hoping this is just bs, but it isn't actually too bad if it is true, just not enough to get it over an x230. I'm not one to need the later and greatest anyway, but 8 gb wouldn't cut it for me.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Brut posted:

Or you can specify a US keyboard when you order.

Nope. There's nowhere to specify this and multiple forums online are showing that even if you call to order you can't get it. Hell, Lenovo wouldn't send me a sleeve from their accessory store because it wasn't available to Canadian shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Do any non-apple laptops even come close to the Macbook Air's 12 hours when it comes to battery life?