Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Climbing Mt Rockwell on Sunday and then Numa Pk next weekend and then I suppose the summer's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Smoove J posted:

Climbing Mt Rockwell on Sunday and then Numa Pk next weekend and then I suppose the summer's over.

Nonsense, I'm planning on Montana's version of El Capitan on Labor Day weekend.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm starting the JMT from Yosemite tomorrow. I hope this is a good idea because I'm sure not changing plans now :v:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm starting the JMT from Yosemite tomorrow. I hope this is a good idea because I'm sure not changing plans now :v:

I just started musing about doing the JMT next year...how long do people usually take to do it? I'm not sure I could do the whole thing in one go, would probably have to take 3 weeks off of work to do that (which is possible but generally harder to plan)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Smoove J posted:

I've got a tent, but in what event would I use a bivy instead?

This is from a couple pages back, but I wanted to chime in here. Bivys are great for when you aren't going to be spending much time in your tent. This might be because you're hiking with a purpose and are spending all of your waking moments on the trail or in a blind, or it might be because it's good weather with friends and you'll be spending your evenings around a campfire. Bivys are also very light and compact, and deal with rain and wind better than most other light-weight options. So long as there aren't too many bugs and you're not claustrophobic, bivys can be very comfortable - I quite enjoy sleeping underneath the stars. I've also brought my bivy along when I'm camping with a group of folks who have tents that I don't trust. That way if the tent leaks or something, I'm not really affected. And I find that people tend to be more comfortable with bivys when they become more familiar with them. Think of it more like a super-sleeping bag.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 14, 2013

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Levitate posted:

I just started musing about doing the JMT next year...how long do people usually take to do it? I'm not sure I could do the whole thing in one go, would probably have to take 3 weeks off of work to do that (which is possible but generally harder to plan)

I think the slower you can do the JMT, the more you'll enjoy it. I think people usually take two or three weeks to do it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BeefofAges posted:

I think the slower you can do the JMT, the more you'll enjoy it. I think people usually take two or three weeks to do it.

Well my wife just agreed to take 3 weeks off with me next year so sweet, time to come up with a date and then set a reminder on my calendar to get a permit :dance:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Patagonia 50% off sale is happening now, if you need a gear go now.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Has anyone ever flown internationally with a camp stove? In particular one that has used white gas.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Dread Head posted:

Has anyone ever flown internationally with a camp stove? In particular one that has used white gas.

You can bring the stove but you can't bring the fuel canister (even if it's empty).

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kaal posted:

You can bring the stove but you can't bring the fuel canister (even if it's empty).

Really? What I read on the TSA sight was you can bring both but must not have any fuel or vapours. Mostly concerned about the stove, if I have to replace the fuel bottle I am not that worried.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When I flew with camping gear I never had issues with a stove in a checked luggage. I never bothered even bringing fuel to the airport, I just made sure I could get some where I was going.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I've noticed that some airports are much nicer than others. Denver tend to be jerks about everything. Detroit & Nashville are pretty chill. New York seemed like they just wanted to hurry you through.

Edit: pretty sure I've flown with fuel in my checked luggage within the last year

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Speleothing posted:

I've noticed that some airports are much nicer than others. Denver tend to be jerks about everything. Detroit & Nashville are pretty chill. New York seemed like they just wanted to hurry you through.

Edit: pretty sure I've flown with fuel in my checked luggage within the last year
I just flew chicago to denver and back with no issues.

I've flown many times with my gear as checked baggage including my stove and empty fuel bottle. I never bring liquid fuel as I'm positive its against every airlines regulations to fly with and instead just pick some up near my destination. Its super cheap and just pass the rest to someone who is about to hit the trail as you are coming back. I usually give my remainder gas to some local or ask a ranger if anyone can use it. Theyre ususlly appreciative and pass it along.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Dread Head posted:

Really? What I read on the TSA sight was you can bring both but must not have any fuel or vapours. Mostly concerned about the stove, if I have to replace the fuel bottle I am not that worried.

If you can actually get the fuel vapors out then you're fine, but realistically they're going to detect the vapors and pull you aside.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Another weekend, another mountain. It's Mt McCaleb, pretty much in the middle of Idaho

Not real sure what I was going for here...

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
An easy way to fly with a liquid fuel canister in your checked luggage with absolutely zero hassle is to fill it with white vinegar and label it as such with a piece of masking tape on the outside.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

i_heart_ponies posted:

An easy way to fly with a liquid fuel canister in your checked luggage with absolutely zero hassle is to fill it with white vinegar and label it as such with a piece of masking tape on the outside.

Wow, that's such an excellent solution.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Yeah I washed everything with vinegar and no smell. Hoping it all goes well, I fly out tomorrow...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Dread Head posted:

Yeah I washed everything with vinegar and no smell. Hoping it all goes well, I fly out tomorrow...

Every time I've flown with gear its been as easy as simply emptying the bottle and allowing it to dry. As long as its in your checked baggage you should be fine. People travel with backpacking/camping gear all the time, as long as it isnt filled you will be fine.

On the trip to Colorado that I just returned from, my friend that I was meeting who came in from LA showed up to the baggage claim with his leatherman on his keychain. LAX must be pretty lax if they let someone walk onto a plane with a multi-knife.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
I don't really care about weight when I backpack and I usually bring all sorts of dumb extra crab. But the one thing I downsized that I'm really satisfied with is spending some money buying a really nice point n shoot so that I can take photos as good as my SLR without having to sling a heavy camera around and I can quite literally carry it in my front pocket.

It makes the trip feel so much more organic when I worry less about capturing the memories to share with people and instead have fiddling with a camera be very unobstructive and quick.

Edit: For sleeping pads I've been using those inflatable floating pool things. I brought one on a trip on a whim when I loaned out my sleeping pad and its been the best thing ever. Extremely cheap, folds up to the size of a VHS tape, fairly light, and comfy as hell. Its the next best thing to sleeping on a real bed.

Zahi fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 19, 2013

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Top of Mt Rockwell, left to right we've got Statuary, Church, Vigil, Mt St Nicholas, Battlement & Caper at the far right. I've climbed all except for Church, Vigil & St Nick...

Good day, except the wind was howling at 50mph the whole way. 22 miles roundtrip, lots of elevation.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

goddammit everytime you post I get mad at myself for not living in Montana.

You are doing the exact peaks I wish I were doing.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

goddammit everytime you post I get mad at myself for not living in Montana.

You are doing the exact peaks I wish I were doing.

Gimme a shout when you're gonna be here.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
If you've ever wondered what those mountains around you are named, or if you want to see a little preview silhouette of what you're about to climb, get the PeakFinder app, best app ever.

ex.

and here's the view from the highest mountain in Glacier, lots of classic peaks here. I have yet to climb Cleveland but it's gonna be amazing when I do.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
I have been hunting for a good backpacking sleeping bag for a couple weeks now and I have been reading allot of hype for quilts like this one: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Sleeping-Bag-Reviews/Enlightened-Equipment-Revelation. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of bag? I am debating buying the bag I posted, but I am not sure if I could find something cheaper for roughly the same quality. On that note, what is a good temperature quilt to grab for typical 3-season backpacking for the North West?

ShimmyGuy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 20, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I just bought an Enlightened Equipment RevX, but haven't used it (have a trip coming in 2 weeks that I'll use it on), but from everything I've read they review really well and are great for the price. That said, the price is going up in September because of rising material costs

Basically the idea is that with sleeping bags, the insulation that you sleep on (the bottom of the bag) is actually pretty much useless because you're compressing all of the down (or synthetic insulation) and you don't get any insulation when it's compressed. So a quilt does away with the bottom part and is ultimately a little more flexible because you can regulate temperature more easily, move it around, etc. You get all of your insulation from the ground through your sleeping pad, and most quilts have a strap system that go under your pad and hold it in place

upsides, usually lighter because it's less material, and they can be had for cheaper, more versatile because you can leave it like a blanket, or close the footbox and use it more like a bag and attach it to your pad. Downsides, sometimes you can get drafts if you haven't worked out the system to hold it in place, and they don't have a hood either.

So, bags can be better for really cold temps or if you just like being really really snug in your bag. Quilts can be better if you move around a lot, want more versatility, etc

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Is there a consensus on when a satellite-phone/satellite-beacon device is necessary? I'm going on a 6 day trip next week on trails that are pretty well traveled, and we'll never be more than 2 days out from civilization. Normally I wouldn't think I would need one, but there are new people in my group, and I'm starting to spook myself into thinking I need one.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

It's never necessary, but it's nice to have if you don't mind the cost and weight. Note that SARSAT beacons have to be registered with NOAA (in the US), which includes receiving a registration sticker in the mail. It might be a little too late for next week.

Not too long ago, these devices didn't exist, and people still went backpacking safely. You'll be fine without it. Anyway, you can often go to a nearby peak and get cell phone service.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Scottw330 posted:

Is there a consensus on when a satellite-phone/satellite-beacon device is necessary? I'm going on a 6 day trip next week on trails that are pretty well traveled, and we'll never be more than 2 days out from civilization. Normally I wouldn't think I would need one, but there are new people in my group, and I'm starting to spook myself into thinking I need one.
What happens if at any point, someone becomes immobilized or needs medical attention? Plan accordingly.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I'm reading Medicine for Mountaineering, sixth edition, good stuff.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Finally did Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans :dance:

Untitled by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr

Sunrise over The Sawtooth

My ~boyfriend~ starting up The Sawtooth.

Data!
http://runkeeper.com/user/WestslopeBruin/activity/227441895

Consulting the Trails Unlimited map and 14ers.com, we decided to come down the Scott Gomer Creek Trail. The bottom section is sort of like the willows section of the Bierstadt trail, only unimproved and 2 miles long. Basically we bushwhacked through 2 miles of swamp and came out soaked and reeking. :haw: Also we saw some moose! It was awesome!

It was ridiculously hot on the 'Tooth, hot enough I was seriously considering making the traverse in my frilly underthings. By the time we got to Evans though it was hailing. It's weird doing a combo like that to come to a parking lot at nearly 14k feet and being stuck behind a line of people making the summit in flipflops whilst smoking in a hailstorm.

Also a fun thing happened as three Bierstadt summitters decided to follow the crazy people with the helmets. They were hiking in shorts, one bookbag between the three of them, perhaps a quart of water, and certainly not a shred of rain gear. What brought my attention to them was the tremendous rockfall I heard behind us on The Sawtooth. I was waiting for screams, honestly. I hope they learned, though.

Smoove J posted:

If you've ever wondered what those mountains around you are named, or if you want to see a little preview silhouette of what you're about to climb, get the PeakFinder app, best app ever.

ex.

and here's the view from the highest mountain in Glacier, lots of classic peaks here. I have yet to climb Cleveland but it's gonna be amazing when I do.

Gotta get this app :aaaaa:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Smoove J posted:

ex.

This gets the name and elevation of Monadnock wrong. :mad:

Edit: and is completely missing Washington. :stare:
Must've been made by some fool out west. :smug: Oh, Switzerland.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 20, 2013

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wow, it looks like some hikers found skeletal human remains in Banff National Park yesterday. This will be interesting to follow.

And speaking of remains, I went on a 1 km hike with a friend yesterday near Canmore and brought back half a grocery bag of garbage with me. God I hate people sometimes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

And speaking of remains, I went on a 1 km hike with a friend yesterday near Canmore and brought back half a grocery bag of garbage with me. God I hate people sometimes.
You're awesome!

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

A Kpro posted:

Another weekend, another mountain. It's Mt McCaleb, pretty much in the middle of Idaho

Not real sure what I was going for here...

Smoove J posted:

Top of Mt Rockwell, left to right we've got Statuary, Church, Vigil, Mt St Nicholas, Battlement & Caper at the far right. I've climbed all except for Church, Vigil & St Nick...

Good day, except the wind was howling at 50mph the whole way. 22 miles roundtrip, lots of elevation.

Save me jeebus posted:

Finally did Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans :dance:

Sunrise over The Sawtooth

I'm insanely jealous of those oh you who get to hike mountains like these on a regular basis!

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.
Is anyone already starting to make camping plans for Comet ISON, or is it just me?

Edit:

poo poo, speaking too soon, it looks like it might be faint enough to have to pack a telescope to see it.... Bummer :cry:

omgmofohomolol fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 20, 2013

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I know hammock camping has come up before, but I couldn't find it. I slept in a hammock for many days on a river boat, so I know how to handle it comfort-wise. My questions are about temperature.

In cool-ish weather, is wearing a sleeping bag inside the hammock enough for warmth? Or is a pad underneath important?
If a pad is necessary:
-how does the pad fit in there, since it's designed for firm ground?
-my pad is the foam kind; is this okay?
-could it be replaced with an additional quilt or blanket?

Other than those questions, I was planning on using my own rope, tarp, and mosquito net instead of buying all of eno's accesory stuff. I imagine I can make this work, but if anyone has any stories of "oh man it's way harder than you think," I'd be willing to listen.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Not a hammock user but the same basic principals still apply to hammock sleeping as regular tent and ground sleeping.

It will depend on the temperature, but when you get into cold enough temps that you feel you need something, in general just a sleeping bag isn't the best solution because you'll be compressing the insulation underneath you which won't keep you as warm, similar to sleeping directly on the ground with a sleeping bag instead of using a pad. Combine a sleeping bag with a pad and you're probably OK if you're comfortable with how it fits into the hammock, but you do run the risk of not staying on the pad at night or having it move around. Might be worth testing it out and seeing how it works...also probably depends on the temps you'll be sleeping in and how the pad is rated.

The best solution for cold weather hammock sleeping is probably to get an underquilt, but it's also probably the most expensive since you'd have to buy a new piece of equipment. Basically it just attaches and hangs under your hammock and provides insulation that way...you're not sleeping on it, you're sleeping above it, so the insulation isn't compressed. If you have a spare sleeping bag or something you don't mind taking with you, you could probably rig it up to act as an underquilt if you didn't want to buy something.

edit: basically you want *something* underneath you that provides insulation and isn't being compressed to the point of uselessness by your body weight

edit2: Question, anyone use an iphone app that shows topo info and maybe something like basic trails, etc?

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Scottw330 posted:

I wouldn't get one for something like that, but if you're in the market, I'd recommend the McMurdo FastFind 406 PLB. Someone said something about weight, and that's not really the issue. High quality PLBs are expensive as hell, but they'll be worth it that one time.

I wouldn't worry about having a PLB along unless I was roping up for glacier travel or going on a major expedition into backcountry.