Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

Whorelord posted:

That looks dirtier every time I look at it.

Best character for me is probably Ice King followed by Magic Man, but the best design has to be The Lich. I mean... drat.

Oh yeah, design-wise Lich wins. Hands down. The Lich is actually one of my favorite villains in anything ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Meis posted:

Except people who don't like BMO.

Seriously, Protagorean, what's it like to have no soul?

I liked BMO, just as I wasn't an LSP hater from episode one, nor Treetrunks, nor Cinnamon Bun. It's just that I feel their idiosyncrasies have been played a bit hard at the expense of their development as complex, likable characters, e.g. Ice King. He's probably one of my favorite outstanding characters in any show I've ever watched, but I know for a fact I'd hate him if he'd stayed the same the entire length of the show. But BMO? BMO is just the weird little Asian (well, Italian I guess) toy that spends part of the time as a plot device, and the rest as known for its quirky manifestations of a (given Be More, purposeful) desire to be human-like. LSP is just a caricature of a (very possibly insane) rich valley girl, Treetrunks exists solely to play up doddering and oblivious for :3:s, and Cinnamon Bun is... well, retarded, straight-up. They're entertaining on occasion (read: tiny doses), but are certainly not worthy as anything more than recurring background characters.

e: fixed grammatical errors from typing up on a phone in Bumfuck, Nowhere

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 20, 2013

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I'm pretty new to the show; have been catching up on iTunes. Any idea why the iTunes "volumes" don't match up with the actual series seasons? I just got a little scared when I noticed that there were four season 3 episodes that weren't included in my "volume 3" iTunes purchase... but it looks like they're bundled into Volume 4 on iTunes. Weird?

Martytoof posted:

Shirt pocket :3:
That was truly one of the most surprising and satisfying television viewing moments I've ever experienced.

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Cinnamon Bun is awesome for tension-breaking gags. He's used so sparingly that he never feels shoehorned in.
I agree. There was a moment with him in Holly Jolly Secrets that couldn't have lasted longer than a second that made me laugh out loud.

Gally posted:

My favorite character of the show right now is Ice King, with Marceline a close second. Or maybe Bubblegum. Or Pebbutt. or Finn. Or BMO. Or LSP. or. or. or.

So many good characters!
Yeah, I can maybe pick a top five, but not just one. Ice King is a fantastic character, though. You get so many funny/sad peeks into his thoughts and history.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I think I agree with this (at least I can't think of a character I don't like off hand). In fact it's really hard for me to choose who my favorite character is. It used to be Marceline but these days I'm leaning more towards Princess Bubblegum or BMO.

I'd say mine is either Bubblegum or Marceline, both of whom are way better now than they were in their earliest appearances. That said, that loving c-list fox is loving hilarious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Whorelord posted:

That looks dirtier every time I look at it.

Best character for me is probably Ice King followed by Magic Man, but the best design has to be The Lich. I mean... drat.

Despite how scary he looks, there's something.... comical... about the way the flesh is torn on his face

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Despite how scary he looks, there's something.... comical... about the way the flesh is torn on his face

Oh yeah, comical, sure. :gonk:

I wonder how many kids have gotten nightmares from the Lich? I imagine he would have scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, something about how crooked his smile looks

:v: :razz:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh yeah, comical, sure. :gonk:

I wonder how many kids have gotten nightmares from the Lich? I imagine he would have scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

He certainly scared the poo poo out of my nephew, who was, I think, 6 when he first saw it. The whole Finn the Human/Jake the Dog run was the worst for him though, even still he adores the series.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My favorite has to be Peppermint Butler. I could watch him practice dark magic all day. The most evil thing in all of Ooooooo is a close second though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Peppermint Butler, Jesse Moynihan sure loves "vital essence" jokes.

"The winning vessel issues forth its pure essence... nom nom nom"

"My juice!"

"My vital juices!"

"My vital essence... depleted"

Vital essence indeed :pervert:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
The Lich is just so jarring compared to the rest of the bubbly and colorful characters. That's what makes his design so amazing is that he's just so unnatural and out of place.

I hope he returns... :allears:

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Spiffster posted:

The Lich is just so jarring compared to the rest of the bubbly and colorful characters. That's what makes his design so amazing is that he's just so unnatural and out of place.

I'm almost certain he's coming back at some point. He wasn't destroyed or anything. In fact, we don't really know what happened to him after Jake changed his wish. He could be stuck in the Time Cube with Prismo, or he could have been transported back to Ooo.

But for now it seems like we have to settle for the mediocre Maja.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 19, 2013

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

MojoKingBee posted:

I'm almost certain he's coming back at some point. He wasn't destroyed or anything. In fact, we don't really know what happened to him after Jake changed his wish. He could be stuck in the Time Cube with Prismo, or he could have been transported back to Ooo.

But for now it seems like we have to settle for the mediocre Maja.

We also have those Three Wizards doing whatever it is they're doing.

Calling it now, season finale will be Maja vs the Three Wizards vs Peppermint Butler is a three way showdown for ultimate dark power, which will end up bringing the Lich back somehow. Meanwhile Finn and Jake open up a lemonade stand or start a newspaper or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If the finale involves Maja I'm pretty sure it's going to be a tugger-of-the-heart-strings and then you jerks calling her mediocre are going to be sorry

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

If the finale involves Maja I'm pretty sure it's going to be a tugger-of-the-heart-strings and then you jerks calling her mediocre are going to be sorry

Calling it now, she's going to sacrifice Flame Princess or something related to her and Finn to power a massive magic spell.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to dismiss Maja. She's appeared once for like less than a minute. They haven't really had time to do anything with her so of course she isn't fleshed out yet. Besides, they've put more personality in her so far then they did with Flame Princess in like her first three episodes.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

axleblaze posted:

It's weird to dismiss Maja. She's appeared once for like less than a minute. They haven't really had time to do anything with her so of course she isn't fleshed out yet. Besides, they've put more personality in her so far then they did with Flame Princess in like her first three episodes.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. First impressions are important! The fact that Maja only appears briefly in her first appearance is the very reason I'm unimpressed with her. She just didn't seem threatening at all. And I don't really see how you think that she got very much personality in Sky Witch. She's evil and she's a jerk. That's really all I'm seeing.

Take the other villains of Adventure Time for example. The Lich, Magic Man, Ice King, etc. Their first appearances were all great and really set their character and what it is they do.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 20, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She doesn't appear, but her home does, and it characterizes her. And like the lich, she was referenced before she actually appeared.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MojoKingBee posted:

And I don't really see how you think that she got very much personality in Sky Witch. She's evil and she's a jerk. That's really all I'm seeing.

For me from the little we got to know that she's thorough, she's careful, she makes sure that the evil she does is legit enough to be difficult for heroes to get around, she enjoys causing suffering in a way where it's fun for her and she's willing to listen to reason as long as it benefits her but if she doesn't come out ahead she'd much rather jerk the person around because that's how she apparently gets her kicks.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

She just didn't seem threatening at all.

They have set her up as threatening, she isn't the sort of villain that comes to your house and punches you real hard or something, she's the sort of villain that takes the thing you love the most in the world away from you. That is clearly the sort of villain an adventure time story can set up to be a powerful story.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

For me from the little we got to know that she's thorough, she's careful, she makes sure that the evil she does is legit enough to be difficult for heroes to get around, she enjoys causing suffering in a way where it's fun for her and she's willing to listen to reason as long as it benefits her but if she doesn't come out ahead she'd much rather jerk the person around because that's how she apparently gets her kicks.

Yeah, which in a way is far more sinister. She doesn't feel like she's the... anger of a world-killing bomb made manifest or anything, she just seems like a smart but deeply insidious person.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Maja chasing the Crabbit at the end of her episode probably unsettled me more than anything else I've seen in the show. It just seemed downright sadistic compared to the whimsy of the rest of the show's violence.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Why would she come back anymore than the tree witch or the witch from the garden?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

cjg posted:

Why would she come back anymore than the tree witch or the witch from the garden?

The way the episode ended. She's been confirmed she's coming back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

She doesn't appear, but her home does, and it characterizes her. And like the lich, she was referenced before she actually appeared.

Yeah, people forget that the Lich showed up for like 10 seconds before he actually made his big reappearance. BILLLYYYY!

Not having a significant presence doesn't disqualify you from having a big presence at a later time.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Spiffster posted:

The sort of 'design min-maxing' that the AT staff use is pretty effective. The main characters have such minimal features it means that when you get someone like Ricardio (also an awesome villain) or The Lich with a much more defined design appears you really notice. Maybe that's whats wrong for Maja?

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 20, 2013

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Whorelord posted:

The sort of 'design min-maxing' that the AT staff use is pretty effective. The main characters have such minimal features it means that when you get someone like Ricardio (also an awesome villain) or The Lich with a much more defined design appears you really notice. Maybe that's whats wrong for Maja?

I was thinking that too. Everyone is bringing up decent points about Maja, so maybe it's just that I really dislike her design. Its just so drat boring to me. Design-wise, she look like a one-off character, and that really throws me off.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To me there's something almost Ghibli-esque about Maja's design, but I can't really pinpoint why I think that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

axleblaze posted:

To me there's something almost Ghibli-esque about Maja's design, but I can't really pinpoint why I think that.

It could be because of the design of her house.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Looking into it some more I think it's als because her outfit has some similarities to Ashitaka's from Princess Mononoke but with a cape.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I totally would have slain the unaligned ant.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

MojoKingBee posted:

I was thinking that too. Everyone is bringing up decent points about Maja, so maybe it's just that I really dislike her design. Its just so drat boring to me. Design-wise, she look like a one-off character, and that really throws me off.

Actually design-wise she looks like a reoccurring character. Think about it, if say... Marceline showed up as a new character now people would say the same thing about her design. Its very simple. Hell, of the main 5 or so characters they all have pretty simple designs with not that many shapes in there. Its the one off or not seen that much characters that have the more complex designs. Wizard City was full of totally bonkers designs for things I doubt will have a major role in the future.

Maja's design has a lot that can be done with in the future by virtue of new clothing or changing up her hair, it is long, it was just put up in that bun thing for appearance one. And who doesn't put up their hair when they're working with a bubbling cauldron thats like witch 101 right there.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Gally posted:

Actually design-wise she looks like a reoccurring character. Think about it, if say... Marceline showed up as a new character now people would say the same thing about her design. Its very simple. Hell, of the main 5 or so characters they all have pretty simple designs with not that many shapes in there. Its the one off or not seen that much characters that have the more complex designs. Wizard City was full of totally bonkers designs for things I doubt will have a major role in the future.

Maja's design has a lot that can be done with in the future by virtue of new clothing or changing up her hair, it is long, it was just put up in that bun thing for appearance one. And who doesn't put up their hair when they're working with a bubbling cauldron thats like witch 101 right there.

I meant one-off villain, sorry.

Regardless, you do have a point.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 20, 2013

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Does anyone know when the next new episode airs? I was looking around but I can't find anything on it.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Its probably going to be sept 2nd, they have other shows premiering on that day too. Regular show is done for the season, so CN isn't going to air just one new thing on a monday, hence the small break in new AT eps.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MojoKingBee posted:

I doubt he's just back in Ooo. Think about his situation... you could say he's "trapped" there, or you could say he's gained a permanent foothold in the nexus of the universe from which all reality can be controlled.

Monkey paw.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd be perfectly happy for the Lich to be gone permanently. He's not really that interesting.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Someone's going to do something stupid that ends up with the Lich getting released.

Maja, maybe.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Someone's going to do something stupid that ends up with the Lich getting released.

Maja, maybe.

And after a whole bunch of time chilling in the hot tub with the Cosmic Owl and Prismo, he is way mellow. (This is what I like to think has been happening, anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Best occasional character: mad squirrel.

• Locked thread