Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zandorv posted:

I'm having issues with my Betta and feeding. Over the past couple of weeks I found that whenever I feed him, he begins to bloat and pinecone. At first I thought it was dropsy, but when I fasted him, he went back down and acted like his old happy self again. When I started feeding him again, he started bloating and pineconing again and seemed to have some swim bladder issues. I fasted him again and now he's gone back down and is acting just fine. I have no idea what this could be. Are these normal signs of some kind of chronic constipation issue or something? Should I just change his food, or is there something more serious going on?

Edit: I forgot to mention that he is not just pineconing around his belly where the food should be if he's constipated; he starts pineconing everywhere on his body like with dropsy.

Does he go back down on his own or do you have to fast him before he returns to normal? Its pretty unlikely to be dropsy given that it's been weeks. What're you feeding him normally? Try feeding him a shelled pea, see if that helps his digestive issues.

Slugworth: 4's still a pretty small number and they're probably nervous as hell without company. Cant really be helped, small fish need a lot of backup before they're bold enough to wander around midtank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Maybe some more tiger barbs will make them feel more at home?

Zandorv posted:

I'm having issues with my Betta and feeding. Over the past couple of weeks I found that whenever I feed him, he begins to bloat and pinecone. At first I thought it was dropsy, but when I fasted him, he went back down and acted like his old happy self again. When I started feeding him again, he started bloating and pineconing again and seemed to have some swim bladder issues. I fasted him again and now he's gone back down and is acting just fine. I have no idea what this could be. Are these normal signs of some kind of chronic constipation issue or something? Should I just change his food, or is there something more serious going on?

Edit: I forgot to mention that he is not just pineconing around his belly where the food should be if he's constipated; he starts pineconing everywhere on his body like with dropsy.

thats scary sounding, because regular bloat wouldnt be total body pineconeage. Check water params maybe? How much do you feed? I'd try maybe fasting multiple days and feeding only 2-3x a week with just 1-3 pellets... see if that still 'bloats' him

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

The water parameters are good- ammonia and nitrites at 0, nitrates at 20 ppm or less. I have to fast him before he starts going down. I feed twice a day with a small pinch of flake food (generally no more than 4 or 5 flakes), sometimes supplementing dried bloodworms as well. I tried to give him pellets but he wouldn't eat them. The flakes are Nutrafin Max, and the bloodworms are Tetra brand. I'll try the shelled pea and see what happens.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Zandorv posted:

That seems really strange. Have you recently changed foods? or have you noticed the food has changed? Is it a new container? I guess what I'm saying is,I'd change out the food to see if you can rule that out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Checking up a bit more and it does seem like swim bladder disorder caused by overeating, except for the pineconing all over the body, which is the only symptom that does not match. Have you tried feeding different amounts to him? The pea suggestion still sticks, if nothing else, it'll give his guts a good scrub, then try feeding less for awhile.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Do fish get allergies?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
If there is something wrong with that batch of food there may be cause for concern.

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
Here's the rocks I was looking for a while back:

they are really pretty in person.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mean Bean posted:

Here's the rocks I was looking for a while back:

they are really pretty in person.

So what are they and where did you find them?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My baby angels are all grown up and have finally stopped eating their own eggs! I just noticed the latest egg batch has turned into a wiggly writhing pile of fry! This is going to be a really stressful day until I get back home.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
So I got my tank up and running but I now have an algae problem starting up (brown and green). What is my best bet for solving this issue in an acidic (6.0) tank that currently contains ghost shrimp eating tetras?

In other news my 20 ghost shrimp cleanup crew has dwindled to 2...

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

Me in Reverse posted:

So what are they and where did you find them?

Well they come from this company https://www.facebook.com/pages/Colorstone/479583962080292
I can order the rocks in quantity from the store in Ansbach I go to I think, the actual company website is a nightmare. If you want a nice headache here's the actual site http://www.aquarienkies.de/index1.html

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Being that it is a new tank, brown diatom algae is not out of the ordinary. Oto's will eat it. If it persists then your water parameters may be off i.e. phosphates. Also increasing the lighting intensity may help but honestly the Oto's went to town on mine.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

What is an Oto?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
otocinclus catfish.. very very cute lil' social buggers that love soft algae. I find that snails clean up pretty well too, like a big mystery snail or something. or just wipe it away with a sponge!

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

LingcodKilla posted:

My baby angels are all grown up and have finally stopped eating their own eggs! I just noticed the latest egg batch has turned into a wiggly writhing pile of fry! This is going to be a really stressful day until I get back home.

Feeding wise, the fry will be fine the first few days as they absorb their yolk sacs. or are you more worried about mom and dad eating them?

Time to set up a brine shrimp hatchery or start buying frozen BBS! Looking forward to more pics. :)

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

LingcodKilla posted:

Omg how cute! congratulations!!!

and good to see that i'm not the only one with cyanobacteria problems.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

My god, I leave for a 14.5 hour shift and the problem went nuts... I thought having a bunch of plants was supposed to curb algae problems. I have these white wispy strands, I have brown and green, I have brown wispy strands, what the hell did I do to my tank

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fusillade posted:

Feeding wise, the fry will be fine the first few days as they absorb their yolk sacs. or are you more worried about mom and dad eating them?

Time to set up a brine shrimp hatchery or start buying frozen BBS! Looking forward to more pics. :)

Worried about everything! I've only hatched cories before. Actually mommy and daddy were very aggressive and bit me quiet a few times when I removed the leaf and transferred it to the baby pen. Oh gosh did I screw that up?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dirtycajun posted:

My god, I leave for a 14.5 hour shift and the problem went nuts... I thought having a bunch of plants was supposed to curb algae problems. I have these white wispy strands, I have brown and green, I have brown wispy strands, what the hell did I do to my tank

Plants won't help with brown diatoms and the other algae may be the water is off i.e. too much iron, etc. Could be anything really. Your lighting has not changed at all?? How old are the bulbs if you don't mind my asking??

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Worried about everything! I've only hatched cories before. Actually mommy and daddy were very aggressive and bit me quiet a few times when I removed the leaf and transferred it to the baby pen. Oh gosh did I screw that up?

You're going to eat their babies.

THEY wanted to eat their babies.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Plants won't help with brown diatoms and the other algae may be the water is off i.e. too much iron, etc. Could be anything really. Your lighting has not changed at all?? How old are the bulbs if you don't mind my asking??

A bunch of brand new really bright LEDs

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Overkill is fun.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dirtycajun posted:

Some LED set ups are not ideal for growing plants. The Marineland single light for example are not good for it and you end up with an algae farm and dead plants. I don't know what constitutes a good or bad LED setup for growing plants so I cannot answer that intelligently but maybe we can look at that angle.

Eifert Posting posted:

Overkill is fun.

I have two 240gph canister filters on a 55g.. one extra basically. I agree that overkill is sweet. If something breaks, you have another. Gotta break it down for routine cleaning? No problem you have a second unit up and running.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 21, 2013

kontona
May 3, 2003

Mean Bean posted:

Well they come from this company https://www.facebook.com/pages/Colorstone/479583962080292
I can order the rocks in quantity from the store in Ansbach I go to I think, the actual company website is a nightmare. If you want a nice headache here's the actual site http://www.aquarienkies.de/index1.html

these look really nice. i kind of want to start a new tank using these.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

demonR6 posted:

Some LED set ups are not ideal for growing plants. The Marineland single light for example are not good for it and you end up with an algae farm and dead plants. I don't know what constitutes a good or bad LED setup for growing plants so I cannot answer that intelligently but maybe we can look at that angle.

LEDs put out a different spectra of light , unfortunately unless the LEDs are designed for use on plants they will often be missing (or the peaks are shifted) some of the wavelengths that higher plants need. Algae tend to be a lot less picky about the wavelengths they absorb.

Skaro9
Jul 26, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

My understanding is that some LEDs put out pretty specific wavelengths of light compared to fluorescents. Chlorophyll works based on whole ranges of the spectrum. Here's an example of the sort of light that plants can use:

Every bit of light that falls within those wavelengths will be utilized by plants. The areas of the spectrum in which the absorption spikes will be utilized the most. Some manufacturers/models take this into account more than others. There is overlap in the spectrum between what plants and algae can use, but trying to stick to the areas where plants utilize the most light as easily as possible (the spikes in orange/red and blue) will give them an edge over the algae.

A lot of lights output in the yellow/green part of the visible spectrum, where plants can utilize it little or not at all. Usually, this is because our eyes have an affinity for picking up that area and so it makes for good viewing. The downside is that various algae utilize light from that part of the spectrum. Unfortunately, most aquarium-designed lighting I've come across (at least the ones that are nice enough to include spectrographs with their product information) heaps on the green light intentionally for viewing purposes or as a byproduct of the technology they're using.

Here are some sample LED spectrographs:

If you have the type of LED on the left, that's a pretty broad range of the spectrum compared to the graph on the right (obviously). The left graph is closer to how fluorescents work. The left image might be better utilized by both plants and algae than the right, since they evolved to make use of full-spectrum lighting. However, if you have lights that focus mostly on the red and blue areas of the spectrum like in the spectrograph on the right (pretend that the yellow isn't there), the plants will have an advantage. The more light that your fixture puts out that doesn't fall within the chlorophyll absorption spectrum in the first image, the more light various types of algae will have available, giving them an advantage.

I hope this clears things up a bit for you. Good luck finding spectrographs for your lights, I've had some luck there with google image search and lots of patience. If you do find a graph relevant to your model of fixture and you need clarification, feel free to post the image and I'll give it a shot.

E;FB

Skaro9 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 22, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fish stores in Korea are rage inducing because they have poo poo LEDs and no CO2 setup but for some reason unknown to god or man their plants are always rocking and there's never a scrap of algae. witchcraft.

"Mystical Orient" apparently only applies to aquascaping.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

weelings :3:
bettas are the best

. Some are the same but its a mix of two spawns

Malalol fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 22, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are those all individual fish? That's a pretty drat good rate for a tank that got shut down!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Eifert Posting posted:

Fish stores in Korea are rage inducing because they have poo poo LEDs and no CO2 setup but for some reason unknown to god or man their plants are always rocking and there's never a scrap of algae. witchcraft.

"Mystical Orient" apparently only applies to aquascaping.

I only have nano tanks, poo poo LED's and no CO2 and manage to get some decent growth. I've found that giant duckweed, Darwin algae eater shrimps and some maintenance help reduce algae.
The deeper one still has alot of green but growth is not ballistic like my other tanks.

The soil I use is Upaqua, with some fert tablets and Amano powersand to make up the base with fluorite.

Here is some quick pics.

Deeper nano

Standard nano

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do y'all gravel vac when you've just planted some rooted plants? I have some hairgrass that is almost uprooted just by current alone.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
I have silica sand substrate (Black Diamond) and I hardly put any effort towards gravel vacuuming. I get the really gross bits for appearances, but plants can utilize it so I tend to leave it alone. If you have sand as well, consider Malaysian trumpet snails. They're a pest, but they move the sand around and it gets the filth under there good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it's a carpeted tank, there wont be vacuuming. If its areas of plants in bare gravel, then work your way carefully around the plants. I generally dont vacuum. Between shrimp, cories and MTS snails the gravel is kept pretty clean for the top layer and the rest is worked down into the soil layer which is where the mess can break down and be reused by the plants.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I feel like an inhuman monster for seperating the fry from the angel parents. They have been hovering around the enclosure for three days now and they managed to find about 10 babies to coral on a leaf right by the baby pen. I know fish don't really have feelings but damned if it doesn't appear like they do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How could you do it Lingcod?! They trusted you!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

How could you do it Lingcod?! They trusted you!

I thought they were like cories! Oh god I'm going to fish hell for thi....... Uh we'll I'm probably going to fish hell for fishing sins already.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh well, if its any consolation, you'll be prepared when they're tired of 'BABIES!' :byodame: mode and go into 'WHERE'D ALL THIS FREE FOOD COME FROM?!' mode.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Oh well, soon they'll be out of 'BABIES!' :byodame: mode and into 'WHERE'D ALL THIS FREE FOOD COME FROM?!' mode, if its any consolation.

drat....angels eat their babies sooner or later eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought they were like cories! Oh god I'm going to fish hell for thi....... Uh we'll I'm probably going to fish hell for fishing sins already.

I worked at a Petsmart.

9th circle for me.

(I will say, though, our filter was badass)

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 23, 2013