Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

It sounds like development time is more important than money, so if he doesn't need the money right now it's probably better to wait and get real work done. As soon as you start taking people's money you immediately lose a chunk of your time to dealing with customers.

I saw and talked with Jordan Weisman and Mitch Geitelman about Shadowrun Returns during this year's SXSW [/gaminghipstercred] and the most interesting things they had to say were not about the game but instead the whole Kickstarter process. It's actually a major pain in the rear end, not only from a time management standpoint, but a design standpoint. With SR:R specifically, it was difficult for them to shoehorn in all the people who pledged enough to have a presence in game. It got to the point where they were actually excited to compromise on areas with a bunch of no-name one-off scenery NPCs because they could just name them after sponsors and make their To-Do list that much shorter. This isn't even touching the PR issues of "you took My Money in a kickstarter to develop the game full time and then went to dinner and the movies on a date one night instead of Working And Sleeping Only? YOU HUCKSTER FRAUD, 3000 WORD ESSAY INCOMING :bahgawd:" territory.

Yeah its tempting to think that but for a shot of crowdsourced capital this game could be out in a month, but a) that's not true, and b) that money generally comes with a lot of catches that make it less of a labor of love and more a labor of... labor. Like, as a job. Working for one thousand lovely idiot bosses who don't know anything.

That Kairo has been reticent to kickstart this game only convinces me further he knows what's up, and wants to do this game right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if an invitation-only funding approach would work as a midway type thing. You start by inviting only a few folks to be able to contribute, ones you know won't be a pain in the rear end and that you won't have to constantly update with news; they either trust you or understand that they're essentially not guaranteed any result. Then allow these folks to have up to 3 invites they can share with their friends.

I'm sure Kairo's considered these things, and whatever approach he chooses is fine with me, as long as I get to wrap my meat hooks around a joystick and fly around one of these days. Until then, my purse and person are open to the guy.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
e; hrm actually lets see if I can write this post in a way that won't get into a discussion of Capital and capitalism because in an unintentionally accurate commentary on the medium, even where its apropos, discussion of the larger world is haraam in Games.

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder if an invitation-only funding approach would work as a midway type thing. You start by inviting only a few folks to be able to contribute, ones you know won't be a pain in the rear end and that you won't have to constantly update with news; they either trust you or understand that they're essentially not guaranteed any result. Then allow these folks to have up to 3 invites they can share with their friends.

This is basically a tip-jar with a lot of extra loving around. And there are games whose development so far has been funded this way, like Dwarf Fortress. I'll just let that statement hang for a while and let y'all draw your own conclusions about that method of fundraising.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

What about getting started on a Steam Greenlight process?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
From GiantBomb
Where the Heck Did Enemy Starfighter Come From?
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/where-the-heck-did-enemy-starfighter-come-from/2300-7821/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rastor posted:

What about getting started on a Steam Greenlight process?
Steam Greenlight is a poo poo sandwich and nobody who has a game with this level of apparent quality should go into it. If you can attract some high-level attention you can get on Steam without Greenlight, and if you do put yourself on Greenlight it can complicate things when that happens. Valve themselves have admitted it's a pretty complete failure.

Personally I think this might do really well by following the path of FTL. FTL was 80% complete when they put it up, and they got enough money to add another 20% of game. And at this point a mostly-done game with a playable demo will look like a pretty safe bet. It makes a whack of money in advance, he finishes the game, and then can go to Valve and say "I've already made $xxxxxx, I should be on Steam." In the meantime the kickstarter backers are building buzz, and the shorter time from funding to finished project means less time for idiots to get impatient. You just have to avoid the stupid kickstarter pitfalls.

Man, running other people's business is so easy! Why does everyone always say this stuff is hard?
:goonsay:

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I just wanted to chime in and congratulate you on a great looking game. I'll be eagerly following your work along with everyone else in the thread.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I didn't even realize there WAS a trailer until I saw it on Giantbomb. I am the worst idiot fan boy :negative:

Looks great so far, seeing it in actual video over GIFs, and hearing it for the first time, has me totally stoked. I can't wait to get my Holy Space Crusades on :black101::commissar:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This looks and sounds amazing. I've already seen many screenshots before so I already knew the visual aesthetic was awesome, but this is the first time I've heard some sound design and oh man the bleeps and bloops are perfect. All I can think of is feeling like this when eventually playing it:

Which is only a good thing.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Jehde posted:

All I can think of is feeling like this when eventually playing it...

That's awesome! It really is a good mood reference! Along the same lines of that image, I always wanted to do something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJqhOCCT5sc (sorry for the crappy video quality). Maybe I can get to it one day!

It's been crazy the last few days duct taping a build together for the show, but things are coming together.

I think Willie and Klyith have pretty good ideas on why I haven't done any of that stuff yet. It's mainly because I don't want to be distracted by that stuff until the game is almost ready to ship (and there's a lot to go). But everyone's desire to help out is much appreciated. For now just tell your friends about it, if anything. :)

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Who is the enemy starfighter? Are you the enemy, harbinger of destruction to these worlds?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Rivensteel posted:

Are you the enemy, harbinger of destruction to these worlds?

You're an Intergalactic Space Crusader - what more need be said?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0JuJr0a4I

Yes, that song is based on Blake's 7, but whatever.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 19, 2013

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Rivensteel posted:

Who is the enemy starfighter?

The first enemy in the game is an F-104 replica :v:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

If you're in need of money/publishing and don't want a Kickstarter campaing, Gog has some kind of indie cooperation thing going on.

Watch out for this though:

Gog posted:

We love to go a bit crazy with our marketing, and we hope you'll get on board with our ideas.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do they have somewhere to sign up for an email notice when the thing moves to whatever next stage, be it fundrasing or beta or whatever? That video is giving me warm fuzzies and I don't want to miss any chances to give them my money. I'm especially getting the Homeworld vibe since I just broke out the original to playthrough again a couple weeks ago. It's like flying one of the scouts.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jehde posted:

This looks and sounds amazing. I've already seen many screenshots before so I already knew the visual aesthetic was awesome, but this is the first time I've heard some sound design and oh man the bleeps and bloops are perfect. All I can think of is feeling like this when eventually playing it:

Which is only a good thing.

I can't emphasize enough how important the sound design is for me, too. The sound design in Homeworld is often sidelined in favour of the visual aesthetic but the music, the chatter and the VA were superb.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

powderific posted:

Do they have somewhere to sign up for an email notice when the thing moves to whatever next stage, be it fundrasing or beta or whatever? That video is giving me warm fuzzies and I don't want to miss any chances to give them my money. I'm especially getting the Homeworld vibe since I just broke out the original to playthrough again a couple weeks ago. It's like flying one of the scouts.
Nope.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

powderific posted:

Watch this thread. Pretty much everything turns up here.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just rewatched the 'Fighter speeds' video and I think I can encapsulate what makes me most excited about this: it's the first space-sim I've ever seen (and I've seen them a lot) which seems to have captured that 'Star Wars cinema starfighter' speed. In every other game everything's moving all so slow, but even in the videos you get a sense of real speed out of the dogfights, especially weaving around the move cumbersome capital ships.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

@tipul posted:

Hey PAX-attendees!

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 20, 2013

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Antti posted:

I can't emphasize enough how important the sound design is for me, too. The sound design in Homeworld is often sidelined in favour of the visual aesthetic but the music, the chatter and the VA were superb.

:geno: "Damage critical, we're breaking up I guess."

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Antti posted:

Oh god yes, the VA in mission 3 Return to Kharak still gives me goosebumps when I watch it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sphrin posted:

Oh god yes, the VA in mission 3 Return to Kharak still gives me goosebumps when I watch it.

No one's left... everything's gone. Kharak is burning...

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

HiroProtagonist posted:

No one's left... everything's gone. Kharak is burning...

The subject did not survive interrogation.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

48 Hour Boner posted:

The subject did not survive interrogation.

This. This line always gave me goosebumps as well. The narration plus the way they present the cutscenes was so powerful.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That was also my first exposure to Adagio for Strings No. 1.

One of the better gaming moments in my childhood, really.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Professor Bling posted:

That was also my first exposure to Adagio for Strings No. 1.

One of the better gaming moments in my childhood, really.

Me too, the whole soundtrack is on youtube and most of it is really good.

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
Great old school poster as that first pic.

If there is one thing I've gotten out of this thread it's that Homeworld was awesome and we all can't wait for the next one. I haven't seen anyone mention the screams from Cataclysm.

Also, the OP should include the Giant Bomb trailer link as it is the first presentation that made this look more impressive than Earth & Beyond from 2001.

Then again, I gave notorious cash sink Chris Roberts my space bucks, including release weekend tix for Wing Commander, so I'm no judge of quality.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
If anybody attends PAX and picks of up one of those poster packs, I'll pay you -whatever- for you to ship it to me in Australia. I love it and I wish I could get my hands on it.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Kaludan posted:

If there is one thing I've gotten out of this thread it's that Homeworld was awesome and we all can't wait for the next one.

Gearbox bought the rights the Homeworld franchise, so don't expect anything out of any hypothetical sequel. Anything good, anyway.

This game looks incredible though, the style and gameplay and the sound design echo two of my most cherished games growing up in Homeworld and Tie-Fighter as many others have already said, and the quality is astounding. Any predictions on performance or requirements? It looks like it'll run on pretty old systems which is always a bonus.

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.

93tu posted:

Gearbox bought the rights the Homeworld franchise, so don't expect anything out of any hypothetical sequel. Anything good, anyway.

This game looks incredible though, the style and gameplay and the sound design echo two of my most cherished games growing up in Homeworld and Tie-Fighter as many others have already said, and the quality is astounding. Any predictions on performance or requirements? It looks like it'll run on pretty old systems which is always a bonus.

Gearbox IS planning on releasing graphically updated versions of the original games at some point, I think, so as long as they don't do anything to the designs I have reasonably high hopes for that.

...although ...nightmares of ion cannon frigates with random glowy bits. Fighters with randomly detailed, over-done bump-maps. The horror.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

faxmaster posted:

Gearbox IS planning on releasing graphically updated versions of the original games at some point, I think, so as long as they don't do anything to the designs I have reasonably high hopes for that.

...although ...nightmares of ion cannon frigates with random glowy bits. Fighters with randomly detailed, over-done bump-maps. The horror.

Don't worry, they've got the brightest minds behind Duke Nukem Forever on the case!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Antti posted:

I wouldn't go so far as "superb" to describe Homeworld's ship chatter and VO work. The player faction VA's did pull it off when they needed to (Return to Kharak, Garden and Cathedral of Kadesh) and the Bentusi VA was always suitably half-smug, half-caring elder but otherwise I always found most of the mission briefing narration kind of dull. Perhaps that is just Cataclysm colouring my nostalgia though, tons of games even today can't match the VO work that Cataclysm had.

I hope there will be some way to order these come time you decide you want money.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Aw man I was a huge flotilla fan, this looks loving amazing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kibayasu posted:

I hope there will be some way to order these come time you decide you want money.

Me too. Even if it ends up being a collectors edition bonus or something.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

faxmaster posted:

They're no longer doing the HD re-release, they're doing a multiplatform reboot now. The Homeworld thread literally died when this news was announce, everyone just gave up on the series; no one has any confidence that Gearbox will stay faithful to what made the originals great (I know I don't). :smith:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

They're no longer doing the HD re-release, they're doing a multiplatform reboot now. The Homeworld thread literally died when this news was announce, everyone just gave up on the series; no one has any confidence that Gearbox will stay faithful to what made the originals great (I know I don't). :smith:

Are you serious? I stopped keeping up with the thread when it was basically agreed that Gearbox doing an updated release as a cash grab was the best case scenario. I guess they realized that a re-release would make any future games they make in the series look even worse. That is depressing news. :saddowns:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

Are you serious? I stopped keeping up with the thread when it was basically agreed that Gearbox doing an updated release as a cash grab was the best case scenario. I guess they realized that a re-release would make any future games they make in the series look even worse. That is depressing news. :saddowns:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Hardware or whatever it's called, which has a few of the original HW guys on it and looks like it's going to be a crap game with a good look to it. Gearbox is still slated to do the HD versions, not a reboot or anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I'm fairly certainly what you're referring to is several articles using the word "remake" instead of "re-release," because several Gearbox employees may have used that word at a PAX panel. It's been Gearbox's intention from the start to release the original games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kibayasu posted:

Perhaps that is just Cataclysm colouring my nostalgia though, tons of games even today can't match the VO work that Cataclysm had.

Hell yeah, Cataclysm's VA stuff was great.

Just the Tac com guy saying BURN. as the Kuun-Lan fires its huge gently caress-off cannon. :black101:

• Locked thread